leo abse

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Guilty
Killer
Killer

leo abse

Post by Guilty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:51 pm

leo abse, the politician who was famed for trying to get alice banned from the uk in the 70s only increasing his notoriety passed away at a london hospital yesterday.
was the process of trying to get alice banned the reason for his success in the uk?
i'm guilty an i think i've been framed anyway

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:04 pm

If you buy the Daily Mail today, theres a whole page devoted to him entitled 'A Very Dangerous Dandy'. Apparantly he was a flamboyant and controversial figure in the House of Commons.

He legalised gay sex, liberalised divorce, married a girl 50 years his junior and launched a devastating attack on Blair the 'narcissist'.

After all that, I cannot understand WHY he even wanted to ban Alice?! :bam:
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:07 pm

>was the process of trying to get alice banned the reason for his success in the uk?

I don't think Abse protested against Alice Cooper until 1973 by which time, Alice was already a big success.

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:47 pm

After all that, I cannot understand WHY he even wanted to ban Alice?! :bam:[/quote]

i couldn't agree more!
i have been looking at his life and it seems he was more controversial than Alice certainly more flamboyant.
as for his wife, their is nothing more kinky than a British politician

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 am

clearly he was jealous

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:23 am

scotty wrote:clearly he was jealous
dunno about that.

its funny how we are talking about mr abse. there is a new advert running on television advertising a leo abse claims business.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 pm

I don't think Abse protested against Alice Cooper until 1973 by which time, Alice was already a big success.
That's a good point...and true.

Having said that, didn't B$B LP shoot to number one in the UK charts that year?? And could any of that success be attributed to 'the ban'!????
He legalised gay sex, liberalised divorce, married a girl 50 years his junior and launched a devastating attack on Blair the 'narcissist'.
True, but Leo had a point about songs about necrophilia being 'another matter' as well really. Let's be honest it's a horrible subject, I was 8 at the time, thought he was well well weird and damn scarey!!!!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:11 pm

>Having said that, didn't B$B LP shoot to number one in the UK charts that year??

Yes.

>And could any of that success be attributed to 'the ban'!????

I don't think so.

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: leo abse

Post by Mad Axeman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Guilty wrote: was the process of trying to get alice banned the reason for his success in the uk?
Obviously its not 'THE' reason, but it certainly didn't do Alice Cooper any harm!

Tell a Brit that something is bad for their moral fibre and they will break a leg to find out what all the squit is about.

A politician trying to ban you from the country, an old lady dying next to you in the plane..... " You can't buy publicity like that".

I'll raise a glass to Leo Abse tonite, youve gotta love politicians prepared to go against the grain.
To the Axeman, all supplicants are the same height...

http://www.myspace.com/6stringsiseverything

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:40 pm

who was the old lady that died? or was this like the Ouija board thing?

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:49 pm

Guilty wrote:who was the old lady that died? or was this like the Ouija board thing?
supposed to have taken place on a plane.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:10 pm

yeah, 'supposedly' alice was playing cards with her on a plane. she took a nap and never woke up.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 pm

He talks a bit about it on Prime Cuts I believe.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:44 pm

This is also in the trivia section, subtitled Vicious Rumours, on this site.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Gunner wrote:
Having said that, didn't B$B LP shoot to number one in the UK charts that year?? And could any of that success be attributed to 'the ban'!????
It made #1 on both sides of the Atlanitic at a time when the charts meant something, because it is a truly great album when Alice was the biggest rock star on the planet.

That same year he broke the Rolling Stones US box office records for a live tour.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:10 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Gunner wrote:
It made #1 on both sides of the Atlanitic at a time when the charts meant something, because it is a truly great album when Alice was the biggest rock star on the planet.

That same year he broke the Rolling Stones US box office records for a live tour.
i can remember neal and dennis winning a few poll in the music scene mag.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>was the process of trying to get alice banned the reason for his success in the uk?

Andy is right. Leo Abse only protested against Alice in 1973 and Alice already had a #1 album in 1972 in the UK with School's Out and the Alice Cooper band were voted #1 band at the end of 1972 in many of the UK music magazines. Furthermore, in 1973, Billion Dollar Babies also went to #1 in the US where Leo Abse had no effect. So Alice Cooper was already the top rock act all over the world and Alice's huge popularity was why Leo Abse protested against him as such huge popularity made Alice Cooper much more of a threat. Leo's protests did not cause any of Alice Cooper's success.

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm

As I recall it, there is another slightly ironic 'twist' to this story - particularly in the light of allegations concerning the late Mr. Abse's lifestyle - in that his attention was only drawn to the antics of the Alice Cooper group by his two daughters, and he (Abse) was (allegedly) acting on behalf of them (and other 'young people' of that time - myself included), in trying to 'protect' us!!

Ya couldn't make it up, could ya!! :rotfl:
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Maurice wrote:As I recall it, there is another slightly ironic 'twist' to this story - particularly in the light of allegations concerning the late Mr. Abse's lifestyle - in that his attention was only drawn to the antics of the Alice Cooper group by his two daughters, and he (Abse) was (allegedly) acting on behalf of them (and other 'young people' of that time - myself included), in trying to 'protect' us!!
Ya couldn't make it up, could ya!! :rotfl:
Yes Maurice, the situation certainly is ironic. It's always very interesting how the people who judge other people to be "unsuitable" are often the ones who need to look in their own backyards!!

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 pm

glamprincess wrote:
Yes Maurice, the situation certainly is ironic. It's always very interesting how the people who judge other people to be "unsuitable" are often the ones who need to look in their own backyards!!
Concisely expressed glam; and when associated with Heavy Metal could this be 'heavy irony' ? :rotfl:

I must admit, when I now think of Leo Abse, I parallel this with the lyric of the 'complainer' in "It's Much Too Late". :/
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.