Good Reality Show Vs. Bad Reality Show

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Good Reality Show Vs. Bad Reality Show

Post by glamprincess » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:15 pm

As I said on the other thread, I could see how a rock star could be hesitant about doing a reality tv show after "The Osbournes". But in Gene Simmons' show "Family Jewels", the Simmons family has come off very well and family members have come across as smart and funny. The show also provides good exposure.
Alice has said he wasn't interested in doing a reality tv show and always cited "The Osbournes" as the example. But due to the much better show "Family Jewels" and the fact that the Simmons family comes off much better than the Osbourne family did, do some of you think Alice should re-think this position?

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I hope not

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:28 pm

No. I'd like Alice to keep the shred of mystery that he still has. Plus it would be blatantly obvious that was selling out and ripping off Family Jewels. I hope Alice has more taste than that.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:33 pm

Sadogoat wrote:I hope not
Can you at least say why you feel this way?
Do you not think Alice could use some additional exposure in the mainstream media?

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:No. I'd like Alice to keep the shred of mystery that he still has. Plus it would be blatantly obvious that was selling out and ripping off Family Jewels. I hope Alice has more taste than that.
Does he still have a mystery when he's well-known for playing golf every single day? I'm not saying that he doesn't still have a shred of mystery but it is a question worth asking due to things like the golf.

Why would he be accused of ripping off Family Jewels when Gene Simmons wasn't accused of ripping off The Osbournes?

sammysausage76
Killer
Killer

Post by sammysausage76 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:50 pm

I sure would hate to see Alice in a reality show, he would lose some Rock N' Roll cred, plus I am soooo tired of the reality (if that is what you want to call it) show trend. Besides, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, is clearly scripted and so far from reality it is ridiculous.

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:59 pm

No way ::((: I hate those shows.
But I would enjoy seeing more of Alice :blush:
Not only do I think Alice wouldn't do it....but I don't think Sheryl would either.
Dash stays busy with his band and selling cars and school...Calico doesn't live at home anymore...I don't think, and Sonora Rose most likely has her hands full already.
Just my thoughts. :grin:

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm

The Alice reality show would have to be on the golf channel.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm not sure. However, most certainly Family Jewels has to be somewhat scripted and Family Jewels is a lot better than the Osbournes in terms of the fact that I ended up not hating Gene's family. So a minus one but a plus one.

But if anything I'd like MTV to actually get back to doing musical things and wouldn't mind seeing a show of them following Alice and co. on the road. That's a reality show I'd like to see.. showing what it's like on the road, Alice and his daughters' relationship, prep for concerts, etc.
Me = Winning

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 pm

IMHO there's not even an average 'reality show' .......they are all crap,and the biggest waste of broadcasting time ever :angry: just my opinion.
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote: But if anything I'd like MTV to actually get back to doing musical things and wouldn't mind seeing a show of them following Alice and co. on the road. That's a reality show I'd like to see.. showing what it's like on the road, Alice and his daughters' relationship, prep for concerts, etc.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. I would prefer a reality show of Alice with his band and road crew on his tour bus. The show could be more rock n roll than the other reality shows because it would show life backstage and the lifestyle of a rock star on the road.
I think some of you made very valid comments. I think reality shows can hurt a rock star's rock n roll credibility and mystique too. But I think a reality show on the road instead could be interesting and wouldn't hurt rock credibility/mystery the way the other type of reality show might.

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:57 pm

All road show might be good. With stage stuff and maybe some Golf.
It could even open some doors. But I don't see it happening. :p

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:48 am

I don't like "reality" shows. Never have. Personally, I think they're all set up.

"Family Jewels" is funny, I've watched it several times, but to anyone who has watched it, did you ever notice Gene Simmons is always the guy things happen to? He's the star of the show of course but again, it comes off like a formula to me.

Another aspect is, the cameras film all this stuff and then it's edited down to 30 minutes or an hour and that is supposed to "sum it up".

I remember when the first season of "Survivor" was on, I refused to watch it just because I didn't believe it to be 100 % truth. I still have never watched an episode. I'm naturally a skeptic, and would constantly be telling people that liked the show that it was phoney and all done on a Hollywood soundstage! In the process, I pissed off these people. :x

If Alice and his family wanted to do that then great, all the power to them. I'm sure it would be full of humor. I'd for sure check it out being a fan of Alice, not of reality shows. :alice:
"Same as always, different as ever"

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:54 am

Why did my post show up twice?
"Same as always, different as ever"

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:42 am

glamprincess wrote:
Sadogoat wrote:I hope not
Can you at least say why you feel this way?
Do you not think Alice could use some additional exposure in the mainstream media?
I hope not 'cause then I had to watch every single episode.
I don't know about the mainstream aspect 'cause I live in a forest in Finland where Alice isn't that big thing and I have no clue about Alice's exposure in american media (well... dunno about other countries either :grin: )

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 am

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Alice expressing an interest in a 'fly on the wall' series about him and his family, around the time it was announced that the 'Osbornes' would be made. If thats true - I doubt he expected the type of program that later emerged. I'm sure he would not have expressed an interest in that sort of program knowing what crap it was churned into.

I have never seen 'Family Jewels' - so cant really comment. Overall, I don't watch alot of TV anyway.

But for what its worth IMHO - I think some of these types of shows (I am also including MTV's 'Cribs' here) - are nothing more than a vulgar display of mostly a very very average so called 'celebrity' that got lucky and is just showing off their wealth. Its less than tacky and mostly tasteless.

My guess is if Alice partook in any show of that nature, it would as Nims suggested probably be more suited to the golf channel!

Either way, the poor guy couldn't win! There would be too much golf for some and probably a sprinkling of religion that wouldn't sit too well with some of his rock fans.

Hopefully he hasn't got the time anyway! As Kos said - reality shows are a complete waste of broadcasting time.
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 am

I've not seen any of the Gene Simmons reality show, but I take people's word for it that it is good TV and that Gene and his family come out of it well.

The Osbournes was a massive success because they are/were a very wealthy dysfunctional family. However, I think it pretty much destroyed his musical career, NOT for the fact that he could not longer be seen as 'The Prince Of Darkness' (He never was of course!!) or that there was any mystique surrounding him as such, BUT that he could be seen as a rather pathetic, simple hen pecked little fat man and not the rock 'n roll rebel loon that he actually was and still is underneath all that.

I think 'Alice reality' would work, the mystique and myth surrounding Alice went many years ago, he has appeared on nearly every mainstream TV chat show you can think of, plays golf, goes to Church (works in the nursery/crèche and sings in the choir), owns restaurants etc etc. However, I think it should be an 'Alice on tour' reality show, I think that would interest people a lot as he has to get psyched up for the character, avoid drink, drugs, women and he has 40 years of experience. Alice at home I think would be quite boring for people, I get the impression that they are a very 'normal' family.

I agree with GlamPrincess too, I think it would raise his profile and be very good exposure! Alice is notoriously a very witty, charming and a very good person. There are still millions that don’t know that.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am

Jason wrote:Why did my post show up twice?
Took care of it for you mate, only one now.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:55 am

nimsowner wrote:The Alice reality show would have to be on the golf channel.
or the disney channel.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Sadogoat wrote: I hope not 'cause then I had to watch every single episode.
I don't know about the mainstream aspect 'cause I live in a forest in Finland where Alice isn't that big thing and I have no clue about Alice's exposure in american media (well... dunno about other countries either :grin: )
Alice doesn't get a lot of exposure anymore in the mainstream US media. For example, Entertainment Weekly didn't review ACAS even though it reviews many weekly album releases. I get the impression that Alice gets a lot more exposure in the mainstream UK media which isn't surprising because he enjoys greater popularity in Europe than in the US nowadays.