Live or Studio?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Live or Studio?

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 pm

What do you listen to more, live CDs or Studio CDs?

99% of what I listen to are live recordings, not studio CDs. This is particularly true of Coop. I have listened to the Montreux DVD audio rip and recent bootlegs 100 times more often than DD. To my ear, Coop has always been about the live performance and the studio work is just a starting point for the live band.

Strip the studio effects and give me the raw, dirty riffs and passionate vocals. IMHO almost all the songs sound much better in concert. That said, I wonder what Keri and Chuck will do with ACAS? Any chance for salvation? Strip the polish and give it some grit. Cut the repetitive choruses and let the guitarists jam. I bet we will have an entirely different consensus then.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 pm

That is what I am looking forward too. I think there will be some redemption in a live version of ACAS.

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:40 pm

Always prefer live.....being there that is!

Play studio more than live cd's.
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Live or Studio?

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:48 am

Jumping Jack wrote:What do you listen to more, live CDs or Studio CDs?
Studio CDs mostly. Sometimes I'll throw in The Alice Cooper Show for some funkability, but I like the studio cuts overall.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:49 am

I listen to about 80% studio, 20% live.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 am

it's been live for me lately-montreux,brutally,and you tube clips.but with the new album that will be occupying my time now!

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:10 am

for the coop 70% studio, 30% live, but for other artists its different, like hendrix its 80% live, 20% studio, but with alice i find there isn't many live releases but loads of studio albums, otherwise live you get these bad quality boots...
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:19 am

Mostly studio. Fistful Of Alice's Teenage Lament '74 is usually the reason to play the disc. I'd rather watch some dvd in this case.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:59 am

Generally prefer studio recordings for any artist, I guess for Alice I'd be about the same as nims, 80% studio and 20% live.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:00 am

aliceclone12 wrote:for the coop 70% studio, 30% live, but for other artists its different, like hendrix its 80% live, 20% studio, but with alice i find there isn't many live releases but loads of studio albums, otherwise live you get these bad quality boots...
i love listening to alice cooper live, there are some good killer shows about, listened to southampton 08 the day before yesterday, and in all fairness alice and the band sound very tight indeed. i like studio, but give me good quality boots any time of the day.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:57 am

hywel wrote:
aliceclone12 wrote:for the coop 70% studio, 30% live, but for other artists its different, like hendrix its 80% live, 20% studio, but with alice i find there isn't many live releases but loads of studio albums, otherwise live you get these bad quality boots...
i love listening to alice cooper live, there are some good killer shows about, listened to southampton 08 the day before yesterday, and in all fairness alice and the band sound very tight indeed. i like studio, but give me good quality boots any time of the day.
Good quality boots mainly from the soundboard are very good, but some are just audience noise and distorted music, but i have found some i aggree but i think studio still makes it. :8):
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:03 am

aliceclone12 wrote:
hywel wrote:
Good quality boots mainly from the soundboard are very good, but some are just audience noise and distorted music, but i have found some i aggree but i think studio still makes it. :8):
the reno hilton carnival show is as good as any studio release imo and it isnt cleaned up all squeaky you know? also there are some bp shows out there better than the official release. why they remix live shows i dont know, takes away the vibe imo.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:37 am

Soundboard boots I find are dull, maybe because of the lack of hearing any audience. There are some boots which are not the best of quality, but the 'grittiness' adds to the enjoyment... sort of like Alice's mentality of 'Dirty Diamonds'.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:56 pm

I love live music when I'm at the show. But at home, I prefer to listen to the studio versions of the songs for most rock acts. Just my personal preference.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:17 pm

There's so many great coop songs that have never been done live so i have no option but to listen to the studio versions . But i also love the live cds to , so i play a mix of all coop live and studio . i also love the demo s and little tid bits like that too .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

likeamonster
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by likeamonster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:29 am

I love both but most of his songs are better live!

I think songs like Billion Dollar Babies, Caught In A Dream and Elected are great Studio songs, but I don't like them live... Ok I like them but Studio is better.

And songs like Cold Ethyl, Dead Babies, What Do You Want From Me, Welcome To My Nightmare, Brutal Planet........... are much better live.

That's why I listen to live CDs/DVDs and Studio :)
:alice: He's back :alice:
The man behind the mask
And he's out of control

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 pm

i know alice says he hates it but i think the alice cooper show album is superb.
i'm guilty an i think i've been framed anyway

Swordandstone
Trash
Trash

Post by Swordandstone » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:49 pm

I love listening to bootlegs. They are raw and real, both SBD and Aud. recordings. But of course I also enjoy listening to the studio albums too.