Whats better? ACAS or Dirty Diamonds

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

the maniac
Trash
Trash

Whats better? ACAS or Dirty Diamonds

Post by the maniac » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:20 pm

Still dont know what to make of acas, after listening to it a fair few times now.. All I can say is Wheres Bob Ezrin! when you need him ::((:

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 pm

ACAS sounds too much like 2008. Too much computer effects. But then again would it be better without 'em? dunno.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm

I prefer DD. DD does however have some songs that are indeed too cheesy and that sound like they should be on ACAS. DD has several songs that I can stand listening to so it wins for me.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm

1) First half of DD through Pretty Ballerina
2) ACAS
3) Second half of DD
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm

It is really like comparing White Gold with Yellow Gold.

Snakes with Bats.

Or even blood with 'guts'!

Both are good - and yet both are quite different; with different motives and different objectives.

Dirty Diamonds is an easily accessible, broad appeal, straight forward 'garage rock' album; and (I guess) was written in that way.

Along Came a Spider is - of course - a story/concept, with a (possibly) narrowing 'gore' appeal, and that 'gore' appeal is underpinned by the heavier 'score'.

Initially this may make it a little harder to access; but my best guess is that it will really 'rock' live, and my hope is for a stage show perhaps along the lines of Brutal Planet, but including more songs from the album, to make the storyline 'work'.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 pm

Sadogoat wrote:ACAS sounds too much like 2008.
Aren't we in 2008 though? ;)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:04 pm

Maurice wrote: Initially this may make it a little harder to access; but my best guess is that it will really 'rock' live, and my hope is for a stage show perhaps along the lines of Brutal Planet, but including more songs from the album, to make the storyline 'work'.
I really don't see us getting more ACAS live than we got Brutal Planet live. I think that tour had a good mix of new and old.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:
Sadogoat wrote:ACAS sounds too much like 2008.
Aren't we in 2008 though? ;)
Beat me to it, Shoey! I was gonna say nearly the same thing!
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

the maniac
Trash
Trash

Post by the maniac » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Not wishing to sound too dishearted, I just think acas hasen't quiet worked out that brilliant compared to other previous concept albums. it seems a bit hit missed and rushed. I know Alice has been consistantly touring and playing golf alot fair play. But the song writing just isent Alice. Henceforth bring back Bob Ezrin. I'm proably going to get slated for posting this. :alice:

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:59 pm

ACAS, by a country mile. I've wanted a new Alice album the day after Dirty Diamonds came out. lol.

At least with ACAS, Alice didn't give us a safe record whereas DD was a solid meat and potatos effort. DD is an ok album to listen to at times, but it's just not signature Alice.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:02 pm

Dirty Diamonds is a less complex, easier listen. Along Came A Spider is a far more challenging, thought provoking and complex album. I enjoy trying to figure out the story through the songs. There is so much room for interpretation, it makes each listen interesting and revealing. Dirty Diamonds doesn't do that.

ACAS for me.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Dirty Diamonds by far.
Me = Winning

Ravenred
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Ravenred » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:13 pm

I've really started to enjoy listening to ACAS. I've been playing it over in my car & can say that even the tracks i wasn't sure of have grown on me. Apart from about 4 tracks on DD it's the least played Alice cd i have
I wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name

Stuart
Trash
Trash

Post by Stuart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 pm

After only a few listens of ACAS, I'd have to go with DD. The title track, Woman of Mass Destruction, Zombie Dance, I find all of them are classics. DD seems to have more of a band vibe.

The main obstacle with ACAS for me is actually the concept of it. I have to go along with the Classic Rock review when it called the story "dumber than dumb". It does have a few cool tracks, but there is quite a lot of repitition on it.

Although ACAS is growing on me, at present I'd have to go with DD.

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Stll listening before making any rash judgements........but for me if DD was by any other band/singer rather than Alice , it would have seen the 'boot-sale for a quid' long ago ...(equally 'eyes').

Both instantly forgetable /poor/boring ......but each to their own! ;)
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:53 pm

kosciuskouk wrote:Stll listening before making any rash judgements...
Me too. My review is coming soon, but I need to give it a few more spins before opening my fat yap about it. Already on spin 10 or 11.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:17 pm

First off I have to say the cd sounds way better than those 30 second sound bites on the computer. I also think each Alice release stands or falls on it's own as he is a hard artist to compare from one release to another as his style and sound sometimes changes every few years. They still rock, but each has different shades of color. That said, I just love ACAS. To me, it sounds like the best of WTMNM and TLT with a bit of Brutal Planet thrown in. Maybe the lyrics are not quite up to those standards, but ACAS rocks. And to me, Alice is still a rock n roll artist and that is what he is suppose to do. He has stuck to his guns over the years and has not drifted into Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, or Elton John middle of the road adult contempory radio. He could if he wanted, but give Alice credit for still seeing the world through his twisted, demented and tongue in cheek world and wanting to turn the amps up to 10 and trash the world.

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:29 pm

revinkevin wrote:First off I have to say the cd sounds way better than those 30 second sound bites on the computer. I also think each Alice release stands or falls on it's own as he is a hard artist to compare from one release to another as his style and sound sometimes changes every few years. They still rock, but each has different shades of color. That said, I just love ACAS. To me, it sounds like the best of WTMNM and TLT with a bit of Brutal Planet thrown in. Maybe the lyrics are not quite up to those standards, but ACAS rocks. And to me, Alice is still a rock n roll artist and that is what he is suppose to do. He has stuck to his guns over the years and has not drifted into Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, or Elton John middle of the road adult contempory radio. He could if he wanted, but give Alice credit for still seeing the world through his twisted, demented and tongue in cheek world and wanting to turn the amps up to 10 and trash the world.
Tend to agree.....don't like to compare to other 'concept' type albums too quickly though,will give it plenty of listens first.
For me 'Eyes' & 'DD' WAS drifting towards boring MOR territory....just my view ;)

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:29 pm

ACAS is the better album in fact the best album Alice has done not only this century but for 30 years!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:37 pm

steven_crayn wrote:ACAS is the better album in fact the best album Alice has done not only this century but for 30 years!
I would say it has the 'potential' to be ........I tend to skip to what seem the best couple of songs very quickly, so tend not to judge an album till i get my fill of them and listen to the rest more!!
For me has to beat FTI & BP ......didn't realise how much i liked FTI till weeks after getting it and listening to all of it 'Properly' !
So judgement reserved ;)