Hey Stoopid - why not a hit like Trash

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:29 pm

BTW, I didn't think Feed My Frankenstein was released as a single until several months after Hey Stoopid came out, with the release of Wayne's World and all?
Me = Winning

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Parish wrote:
Feezle-Nuts wrote:Just curious.....which 3 songs do you feel are worthy?

Trash

Spark
Bed
Gun

Stoopid

Loaded Gun
Mars
Frankenstein
You telling me Wind Up Toy, Dangerous Tonight, Burning Our Bed and Hey Stoopid are not worthy?

Get real !there were 7 great tracks on that album including the 3 you mentioned.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:04 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:BTW, I didn't think Feed My Frankenstein was released as a single until several months after Hey Stoopid came out, with the release of Wayne's World and all?
You're right. The original single/video released for the HS album was "Hey Stoopid". And since HS wasn't the best song off the album, I didn't think it was a good choice for the single. It also didn't have the more accessible appeal of a song like Poison.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Parish wrote:
Feezle-Nuts wrote:Just curious.....which 3 songs do you feel are worthy?

Trash

Spark
Bed
Gun

Stoopid

Loaded Gun
Mars
Frankenstein
You telling me Wind Up Toy, Dangerous Tonight, Burning Our Bed and Hey Stoopid are not worthy?

Get real !there were 7 great tracks on that album including the 3 you mentioned.
I agree with Hey Stoopid not being on the list. That song annoys me.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Actually i was referring to the US market,because it was predicted that HS would hit platinum there.After its predecessor Trash sold in excess of 1.5 million copies (US),,and that Alice had "comeback" in the same fashion,that old pals Aerosmith did ,(a few years earlier),that he would have a succesion of HIT albums..Much to my chagrin,he did not!,
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 pm

>Actually i was referring to the US market,

I'm not sure, but I think it did 'go gold' in America, as well.

>because it was predicted that HS would hit platinum there.

In that case, I'm not sure why you mentioned "gold" then, because now you're referring to a different certification entirely.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Actually i was referring to the US market,

I'm not sure, but I think it did 'go gold' in America, as well.
According to the last soundscan update two years ago, it was at 353,000 units sold in the U.S. which puts it roughly 150K shy of gold.

More sales info here:
http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... 819520f0c3
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:57 pm

>According to the last soundscan update two years ago, it was at 353,000 units sold in the U.S. which puts it roughly 150K shy of gold.

That's interesting. I thought I had seen something to the effect that it had hit the half a million mark. Thanks.

Stuart
Trash
Trash

Post by Stuart » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:29 pm

I wonder how much Alice's appearance in Waynes World helped the sale of the album (if at all). It was some really good publicity for him when it came out I thought.

Erickana
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Erickana » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:34 pm

sadly i'm sure more people bought the soundtrack than the album HS

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Hey Stoopid - why not a hit like Trash

Post by kosciuskouk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Stuart wrote:Hello,
Hey Stoopid was the first album by Alice that really caught me. How come it never took off in the same way that Trash did just a few years beforehand. I see it as being a much stronger album. Any thoughts? Was the changing music scene the main thing that stopped it from being a great seller like Trash?

Think the reason was simply one song ..Poison. It had universal appeal and loads of my mates like it, even though they know nothing else of Alice....and the reaction (other night) when he played Poison was that it was the highlight for majority of people there.
IMHO it's a low-light of every gig...and the second song i would love to see dropped (after FMF,which i don't like) but i know im in a very small minority!! ;)
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 am

Hey Stoopid was the 2nd Alice album i heard (after listening to my Dad's vinyl of B$B. I still think it's a great album and always thought Wind Up Toy would have been a fantastic single (and the video could have been amazing!).

ULTRALATEX
Trash
Trash
Location: EAST KILBRIDE(SCOTLAND) if ever visiting,let me know and I'll buy you a beer

Post by ULTRALATEX » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:01 pm

I always thought the song IT RAINED ALL NIGHT which was on the b-side of the 12 inch HEY STOOPID single was a marvelous song and would have been a great track for the album.Can't remember if it was on the 7 inch version.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:17 pm

The seven inch record I have has Hey Stoopid on one side, It Rained All Night on the other.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:33 pm

I was reading through this thread and I think everyone made valid points as to why Hey Stoopid did not sell nearly as well as Trash. I have always loved the Hey Stoopid album. One thing, I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the failure of the Operation:Rock N Roll Tour with bands like Alice, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Dangerous Toys and I believe another band from what I recall. That festival-like tour was more or less was going to be the tour Alice was using to promote the new album. He might have done more US shows on his own at a later date, but this on the surface looked like it was going to be a great way to expose a ton of people to the new album. Unfortunately the tour was a financial disaster and poorly managed by whomever put it together. That left Alice without a proper US tour to promote the album. I would venture to guess that even though sales wouldn't match the success of the Trash album, Hey Stoopid would have sold a lot more copies if the tour had been a success. Considering grunge was beginning to take over and the failure of Operation:Rock N Roll, 350,000 plus in sales isn't that bad. Hey Stoopid was fairly close to being a big album for Alice.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:44 pm

I much prefer HS song for song, Trash was a bit contrived and a bit too commercial for my liking really. Wind Up Toy is a particular favourite of mine in the entire AC collection.

I think GlamPrincess is right, the factors were;

Desmond Child, Grunge and the hit single 'Poison'.

Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
Trash
Trash

Post by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:31 am

Hey Stoopid was not able to capitalize on an era in the way that Trash did. Plus the grunge bastardization may have played a hand as well.

Gabor6
Trash
Trash

Post by Gabor6 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:37 pm

If I remember correctly the producer of HS wanted the album title to be Feed My Frankenstein, HS was Alice's choice. Maybe because of the anti-suicide message he wanted to promote.

Evan442
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Evan442 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:24 am

HEY STOOPID was the first alice album i bought in 1998!

great CD! created an obsession!
myspace.com/himelnator
myspace.com/chopx3

MovieDemon
Trash
Trash

Re: Hey Stoopid - why not a hit like Trash

Post by MovieDemon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:05 am

Stuart wrote:Hello,
Hey Stoopid was the first album by Alice that really caught me. How come it never took off in the same way that Trash did just a few years beforehand. I see it as being a much stronger album. Any thoughts? Was the changing music scene the main thing that stopped it from being a great seller like Trash?

IMO, "Hey Stoopid" is a much stronger album than "Trash," and it is unfortunate it didn't sell just as well.

With that said, "Trash" had a terrific single with Poison where as the title track of "Hey Stoopid" was not as strong. After that single didn't take off, it felt as though the record company lost faith in the album, and abandoned any real push after that.

However, I do not think Grunge killed "Hey Stoopid". Many albums in the same type of genre as "Hey Stoopid" did really well that year. For one thing, "Hey Stoopid" did come out before the explosion of albums like "Nevermind," and "Ten".

A huge setback for "Hey Stoopid" was the failed tour that Alice was a part of at the time of the album's release. It was a co-headlining rock festival tour with Judas Priest. When the tour was abruptly cut short, Alice took part in some mini-concerts here in NY and other parts of the East Coast. At the time, the impression was that Alice was bottoming out. There really was this notion that Alice was one step away from playing clubs. I think that negative perception really hurt the album. Another element of bad timing was that the album wasn't closer in conjunction with the release of "Wayne's World". By the time that movie was released, the album was no longer on the charts.

All in all, "Hey Stoopid" did quite well, especially worldwide. And while it didn't live up to the success of "Trash," "Hey Stoopid" is Alice's last big album release.