What's all the hatred for Dirty Diamonds?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Am I imagining this, or does there seem to be something of a pattern emerging with the appreciation of Dirty Diamonds and Along Came a Spider?

There are (always) exceptions, but on reading through a couple of times, those that really rate DD appear to dislike ACAS and vice versa, - excepting Shoey!

There also seems to be a connection with RYFAY too - again excepting Shoey! - in that if you dislike DD you like RYFAY.

So does it follow that those that appreciate RYFAY appreciate ACAS as much?
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Maurice wrote:Am I imagining this, or does there seem to be something of a pattern emerging with the appreciation of Dirty Diamonds and Along Came a Spider?

There are (always) exceptions, but on reading through a couple of times, those that really rate DD appear to dislike ACAS and vice versa, - excepting Shoey!
You know it's funny, Maurice, but I was noticing the exact same thing. The fans that love one of those albums don't seem to be that crazy about the other. I'm in the fan camp that prefers Along Came a Spider.
As for Shoey....well....what do you expect from a mermaid that lives in Western Canada?

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Are all these cheap shots because my review of ACAS is not in yet? :p

Or does it go deeper than that? :(

:grin:
Last edited by Shoesalesman on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:44 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:I thought DD was great.
Which proves you have no account for taste. :evil:

But in all honesty, Dirty Diamonds isn't a bad album, but nor is it a great album by all means either. The songs on DD are just plain goofy and nonsensical.

I thought Alice really had something with Eyes of Alice Cooper, that seemed straight from '71, but DD misses the mark, it's a good rock album, but for an Alice album it's a standard 'meh'.

I can put the album on and listen to it here and there, but I'm much happier with ACAS, with the new album he took risks whereas with DD he took the safe route and Alice should never do that. :nono:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:30 pm

I really liked DD when it first came out, but it just hasn't really stood the test of time for me. I find myself rarely in the mood for it which is the best barometer of how I really feel about an album. It's certainly a big dropoff from "The Eyes" which is a terrific album that still holds up great.

Some of the stuff on DD is just plodding ("Run Down The Devil", "Six Hours", "Zombie Dance") and over all it feels somewhat stripped down as if the songs weren't developed as much as they could have.

Don't get me wrong, there is certainly some good stuff here but it's an average album on the whole that I feel ranks the lowest of his post 2000 output.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:40 am

glamprincess wrote:
You know it's funny, Maurice, but I was noticing the exact same thing. The fans that love one of those albums don't seem to be that crazy about the other. I'm in the fan camp that prefers Along Came a Spider.
As for Shoey....well....what do you expect from a mermaid that lives in Western Canada?
Hmm, yeah, I saw this vague 'pattern' emerging - but I guess this is true of a lot of Alices' albums - as we see in the many forum polls.

I think - in his own unique way - Alice gives his fans what they want, but not necessarilly on every album. I recall a lot of discussions over DD - sometimes referred to as an 'untypical-Alice' type album at the time of release; and the call for a return to 'killer Alice' which is essentially what has happened here with the release of ACAS. Maybe he listens?

Looking back over his catalogue gives you a very eclectic view of his music, exploring many different styles and methods of delivery.

You can't please all of the people, all of the time, but this guy tries to achieve that most of the time.
My God.

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:26 am

I like RYFAY more than Dirty Diamonds, It seems that some other albums has gone higher on my chart (DD is still a great album). I'm not a big fan of ACAS, somehow I don't like it very much. Some songs are kinda flat and little boring like Wrapped In Silk, (In Touch With) Your Feminine Side and I'm Hungry. It's an average album for me. I'm happy I didn't expect too much so I dropped a little less painful, but it's NOT a BAD ALBUM. :alice:

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:58 am

Maurice wrote:Am I imagining this, or does there seem to be something of a pattern emerging with the appreciation of Dirty Diamonds and Along Came a Spider?

There also seems to be a connection with RYFAY too - again excepting Shoey! - in that if you dislike DD you like RYFAY.

So does it follow that those that appreciate RYFAY appreciate ACAS as much?
I'm an exception! I like ACAS and dislike DD......but don't like RYFAY much either! :grin:
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:25 pm

kosciuskouk wrote:
I'm an exception! I like ACAS and dislike DD......but don't like RYFAY much either! :grin:
Ha ha; thanks! (so much for 'theories'!!) :grin:
My God.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Well....here ya go. I like both! :clap: ;)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:03 pm

And i like both.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.