The Worst of Alice Cooper---the playlist

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 pm

That has been exactly my point from the beginning----"one man's TRASH, is another man's treasure".

Even I----and some would say I am biased---have my least favorites.

Record this, because I may not say it again.....I am unable to listen to TRASH and HEY STOOPID, in playing order, because they both turn my stomach. What they represent to me is not Alice Cooper's style or wit, but Alice allowing someone else steer the lyrical boat----just hearing Alice say "Baby" a billion times on Trash, is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I literally have to listen to the songs in piecemeal--one here every once in a while---just to get through them. CURSE DESMOND CHILD!!!!

But, then it dawned me :smack: .....maybe Alice is TRYING to make me sick. Maybe he made those albums JUST FOR THAT REASON. :bam:
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

teenagefrankenstein666
Trash
Trash

Post by teenagefrankenstein666 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:44 pm

oh god, hearing this talk is making me crazy, those are two of his greatest albums in my opinion, all of his albums are classics to me, especially Trash and HS

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:46 pm

GailsFriend wrote:That really is the point of this discussion. In my opinion, most people will change their perception of a "bad" Alice Cooper song over time.

So, in my opinion, it's laughable for anyone to give Alice Cooper a bad review because, trust me.....that opinion will change.
Gailsfriend take a look at this quote from you near the beginning of this thread, then your last post in this thread...

I'm confused... and for good reason, no?
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:38 pm

I am sorry your confused. But, that has been my point all along.

My views/feelings of Trash/Stoopid changed when I changed my point of view. Instead of focusing on the Desmond Child aspect. I looked at what Alice Cooper's creative intention for those albums were. In interviews, Alice talked about the danger of sex and explained what his motivations were.

So, in turn, Alice's intention was to make me sick....which is a good thing. Alice Cooper is always trying to play the villian, the one that upsets people on purpose....even his own fans. Alice pushes buttons.....and those albums push mine, because in my head, it was OK for Kiss to write songs with Desmond Child, but NOT OK for Alice---Alice changed that perception.
Up to that point, no one heard dirty, sexual songs from Alice Cooper unless they were about necrophilia, prostitution, or transgenderism. Those qualities are nowhere to be found on Trash/Stoopid. It's the Character Alice Cooper wanting to have sex with a woman, so it adds another characteristic.

Yes, opinions change over time. I am sure there are those who hate ACAS or any album--that will learn to love it, in time.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm

GailsFriend wrote:
So, in turn, Alice's intention was to make me sick....which is a good thing. .
Alice's intention was to have a hit and make money. It was the trend at the time. It worked.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 pm

GailsFriend wrote: because in my head, it was OK for Kiss to write songs with Desmond Child, but NOT OK for Alice---Alice changed that perception.
Up to that point, no one heard dirty, sexual songs from Alice Cooper unless they were about necrophilia, prostitution, or transgenderism. Those qualities are nowhere to be found on Trash/Stoopid. It's the Character Alice Cooper wanting to have sex with a woman, so it adds another characteristic.
I have to disagree that "no one heard dirty, sexual songs from Alice Cooper unless they were about necrophilia, prostitution, or transgenderism" prior to Trash/Hey Stoopid. Songs like Crawlin' or Trick Bag from Constrictor would certainly qualify as sexual and dirty songs that were just about "sex with a woman". In fact, I don't see much difference in the type of lyrics of the song Crawlin' and many of the songs from Trash. Even earlier songs like "Working Up a Sweat" and "Muscle of Love" could qualify too.

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 am

glamprincess wrote:
GailsFriend wrote: because in my head, it was OK for Kiss to write songs with Desmond Child, but NOT OK for Alice---Alice changed that perception.
I have to disagree that "no one heard dirty, sexual songs from Alice Cooper unless they were about necrophilia, prostitution, or transgenderism" prior to Trash/Hey Stoopid. Songs like Crawlin' or Trick Bag from Constrictor would certainly qualify as sexual and dirty songs that were just about "sex with a woman". In fact, I don't see much difference in the type of lyrics of the song Crawlin' and many of the songs from Trash. Even earlier songs like "Working Up a Sweat" and "Muscle of Love" could qualify too.
Yeah I agree glamprincess, you could go through the entire Alice Cooper catalogue and you'll find many songs dealing in this particular field.

Another random example:

What about "Not That Kind Of Love"?

"I don't wanna know your Dad or Mom
and I won't be callin' you to go to the prom
If you wanna go to some cheap motel
you can pick me up at 8, I'll never tell"

How dirty and cheap is that?
"Same as always, different as ever"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Blue Turk, Working Up a Sweat, Not That Kind of Love, Crawlin, Trick Bag-----

Thank you, Fact-Checkers! But, that is 5 songs since 1969! Actually, I was referring to his hit singles.

Muscle of Love doesn't really apply because it's about Masturbation, not sex.
Other songs like You Look Good in Rags, Nurse Rozetta, Be My Lover, Is It My Body, etc.....have to do with attraction, not sex.

What I should have said was, "USUALLY no one ever heard...." :smack:

Look at it this way, would you be able stomach Alice Cooper a Kiss song or a Bon Jovi song? Imagine him singing "I Was Made For Loving You", "Tears are Falling" "You Give Love A Bad Name"
**Blech!!***but, that is Desmond Child stuff---cheesy!

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Again....money.....

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Yes, money was a motivational factor.....and that's understandable.
Obviously, Alice is competitive and wanted to stay in the game.

I am glad you are talking to me, Feezle-Nuts.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:57 pm

To me it's a difference between Alice Cooper dirty & sleazy and Desmond Child dirty & sleazy. I understand that the subject matter was brought up before hand which one can't deny, but it seemed to be rather few and far between, and even some that was tounge-in-cheek and seemed to work out.

I think on "Trash" they made it very obvious what they were going for, and it made it just a tad bit one dimensional and a little foreign for Alice IMHO with a combo of lyrics and the music. In my own view, it would be okay if there were maybe two songs like this on the album, but not the whole thing!

"Hey Stoopid" undoubtedly had remains of Trash but obvious to me of the Alice Cooper influence back into it, and personally, one of my fav. AC albums because of it's variety of subject matter in this case.

In a way, I compare ACAS to Trash. More producer, less Alice? This based on what I hear musically and Greg's own comments.
Me = Winning