July reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

July reviews

Post by Dragonlady » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:09 pm

I searched for a reviews thread but didn't find one. So just show me the way if I missed it.

I'm getting ready for tomorrow, trying not to be too excited, I still have to work in the morning

By the way I almost had a heart attack earlier today. The friend who's coming along to the concert came today... but the concert is tomorrow?
Then I started to worry and check if I got my dates right...

I don't trust my brain at all so I kept thinking I messed up and checking the tickets and the tour section. What a fright! :D

And listening to Alice telling he's in Switzerland on this morning's show didn't help at all! Of course he would be here already, makes sense. Pfew!

I was busy packing up dead animals for the taxidermist who comes tomorrow when the friend called me.. I guess it's kind of appropriate!

lattss
Killer
Killer

Post by lattss » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:04 pm

I can't help you with the reviews thread, but I really do hope that you have an awesome time at the concert!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:05 pm

Have fun.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks guys.

I just realised I wasn't very clear once again. My friend has to take the train from Geneva to here (about 2 hours on the train) and we'll drive to the venue in my rented car... then he'll sleep at a friend's before heading home the next day.

So the poor guy will have to pay a return train fare twice, that's about 100$. And to think he got the concert ticket for his birthday! :smack:

I guess that the rental car will be my treat for his birthday

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 am

Hey I'm back! I'll be writing a full review once I recover. I hardly slept at all these past days... and not even for partying but just for normal insomnia (although it's not really normal for me). I've slept about 5 hours in the last 72 hours, but I am surprisingly alert :bam:

I did make it to the front! Yay! I still picture all these details in my mind's eye, it was once again marvelous. I had to work this morning and as I spotted a ...er spot of "blood" (duh) on my forearm, I had to smile. I resumed work but all of a sudden I had "Dead Babies" playing in my mind :laugh:

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Swiss show 9th of July :: a (long) review

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm listening to Breakfast with Alice as I type, argh that's hard! I am still in the « nostalgia zone » you know that feeling after a concert where all you can do is sigh in sadness that it's all done and gone. But your mind is full of wonderfull pictures?

I am listening to yesterday's radio show, with « Halo of Flies » just playing now! Owwww! That was really the highlight of the show yesterday! I always loved that song, but the current version is dynamite! This « new » band is so tight and cool! Not that the others weren't but there's some chemistry going on there.

Short version of things that went wrong: (thankfully not at the show) Couldn't sleep more than 5 hours on the night before. I got up at 6am and went to work early. Then I decided it might not be a good idea to drive home by night being tired and all, and I booked a room (there's a cheap hotel right next to the venue). Turns out I didn't sleep even one minute last night! But I felt surprisingly awake all day and made it back in one piece. I still have enough wits to write up my review now, 13 hours after the show while it's still fresh in my memory.

We got there early enough to be among the fist 20 people in the queue. I had my SickThingsUK t-shirt, and my Astoria 98 badge on just in case, I was kind of supposed to meet a guy from the NWAC forums but no one came to say hi? Of course I once again chose the slower queue! Oh my blood pressure! But in the end I could squeeze into a spot in front of the big loudspeakers (thank goodness for my earplugs). I was not even 2 meters away from the corner of the stage on Keri's side. And I had a great view of the whole stage.

Hey! Not fair to raise this big curtain while they change the set, it helps passing time between two gigs to watch the tech guys. Instead, I passed time listening to the Coop songs on the tape, and « reading » the spots on the curtain... one of them was appropriately shaped as a rat, as « Road Rats » was playing ^^

The usual crowd was there, humans and non humans, er.. no sorry that's just my imagination running. But yeah the usual Dragons, a few pixies, some that I won't name 'cause I don't like them much. And my friends the dancing rats!
Aha! I am getting in the mood it seems!

My heart starts to beat like mad as I see the shapes behind the curtain, and finally one that looks like Alice? Ah, no... but there he is finally! Ahhhh! It's been 3 years O_O (really?!!!) since the last time, way too long. Yes it's really Hot in this hall, and the show starts with « It's Hot Tonight ». It's quite Hot on stage as well! When Alice comes to lean on the speakers column he's just so close! ... and yet so far, as the song goes. I memorise this image to keep for a few days, as a precious gem, before it fades away as it does.

I won't bore you with the set list, you know where to find it if you want it. I could see one taped on the stage and tried to take a photo with my mobile phone but it's too crappy for that.

Some highlights for me, in no particular order:

The « new » guys are really great. Keri is so cool and incredibly good too (well who would doubt it) I try to spare him a few looks but it's hard to pry my eyes away from Alice.
I am so glad that « Desperado » is on the current setlist, it's one of my all time favourites, and that scene with Keri in the front doing his amazing solo, and Alice getting geared up in the back... oh wow!

« Halo of Flies » as I said, is another highlight, what a great song! What a show! By then I am so high on adrenalin I could fly :)

The cane flew into the crowd, smack in the middle of the hall, causing quite a riot apparently, as usual I guess, The riding crop also went on the other side, bleh, missed again! The girl who got it was in our hotel. I saw her this morning holding it preciously, I sure would too!
Well, I managed to get two more dollar notes, I finally managed to snatch one from the air! And I got a piece of balloon again, a light blue one this time. No « diamond » necklace either :(

Alice was so close with the « Billion Dollar Sword », on our side he could lean out further out, because he could lean on the speakers to do so, I could almost, almost touch the tip of the sword! [oh! And as I type this, Alice is playing « Billion Dollar Babies » on the radio!!! Coincidence?]

« Cold Ethyl » really made me chuckle, when I started my current job 15 years ago I would always hear that song in my mind, when I put the dead animals in the freezer (I work in a natural history museum) and by coincidence (again?) the taxidermist came yesterday morning to collect the frozen bodies. Refrigerator Heaven anyone?

Got duly splattered in blood when Alice cuts Calico's throat, oh bliss! Er... whatever. Just seeing a forgotten drop on my forearm this morning triggered the song in my head. Fun!
I was partly dissapointed to see the guillotine, I thought the gallows were back this year? Ah well it's more fun in a way, more blood again.

I was so glad I had a friend with me, the after show can get so lonely and gloomy on my own. When the deprivation symptoms start to show! Still, it was one of the only nights in my life where I couldn't get any sleep. I just laid there listening to my friend snore, and waited, well it was only four hours anyway.

Made it home in one piece so all is well. And Alice just mentioned Dragons on his show! Yay! Go Dragons!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:58 pm

Apparetly the stage wasn't big enough for the Gallows so they had to substitute.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Ah duh! Here's hoping for a holiday to the UK if the tour gets there next year!

lattss
Killer
Killer

Post by lattss » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm really glad that you had such a great time Dragonlady!

That was a very fun review to read too.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Sounds like a great time was had!!! Good stuff!!!
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Hee, hee! Thanks! Yes of course it was fun! It's my yearly dose of adrenalin. Well if only I could see Alice more often (and it's not always yearly). I'm glad my friends don't see me then, they wouldn't recognise me ;) The one who came with me yesterday didn't stay in the front :p

I guess I should have added that this thread contains spoilers, but I can't edit that now.... :smack:

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:58 pm

you made me feel like I was there-it's been two years almost since he stopped here in cleveland! I still think he's mad about the r & r hall of fame and the closing of cooperstown here..I just may be paranoid! :/

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Sounds like you had a blast.... I can't wait until next month now after reading your review!
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:55 am

Cheers! Glad you enjoyed my little review :P

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Always happy to hear about a good time- Thanks ! :laugh:

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:34 am

You're welcome!

Well it's a crappy photo (I was trying to get a sneak at the set list with my mobile phone camera) but it gives you an idea of how small the stage is in Pratteln (see how close the curtain is to the edge of the stage?) and how close we were.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2967 ... elnbx3.jpg