Was Trash preferred by the Female Fans?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:30 am

Interesting point. I think that those CD's (Trash and Hey Stoopid - I prefer Hey Stoopid with Trash running a close second...) were directed towards women and the women in the audience heard it, perhaps identified with it (in some strange way) and responded favorably.

Men on the other hand: well, they weren't really being addressed in those two.
It's all "lonliest spectator, ..all else fails, drive you..., ..home into your bedroom..,drip on your thighs..untie your sensuality, meet my libido, world into a dark and lonely place..,your lipstick shines, Dirty Dreams (nuf said), wind up toy..etc....and that's just a few words from "Hey Stoopid"... "..mouth so hot..touch you everywhere, window to watch you, all teary eyed.., only my heart, maniac, ain't the way you crawl... Pahleaase. That just screams, "Ladies listen to me!"

We heard him. We loved it. Amen.

Nice one Glam!

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Cozzie
Killer
Killer

Post by Cozzie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:01 am

Trash is quite interesting. When I listened to it for the first time I loved it but know I'm not as keen. I don't understand why so many hate House of Fire which is actually my favourite song from the album. So now Trash sort of sits an average effort IMO.

But...I'm not a woman! My mother is (!) and she is not a big Alice fan but adores Trash and so does her sister. So I definitely agree that Female fans seem to prefer Trash.

As far as the Trash vs Hey Stoopid debate, Hey Stoopid would be one of my five favourite Alice albums whereas Trash would not be in my top fifteen. It just seems that the lyrics and power-pop like choruses on Hey Stoopid aren't as forced as they are on Trash and Constrictor.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 am

My sister has quite recently started to listen Alice Cooper. She likes songs like Billion dollar babies and School's out. Hell is living without you is one of her favourite AC songs and she seems to like Trash much more than I do. Hey stoopid is in my opinion a much better album. Lyrics are more wicked and classy. Hey stoopid is also heavier and musically more diverse and Might as well be on mars is one of the best AC ballads ever.
Last edited by The son of Don Quijote on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ravenred
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Ravenred » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:14 am

I was 15 when Trash came out but had already listened to RYFAY & loved that album to death,but Poison gave me my first proper look at Alice & yes he was very hot in that vid (as was he in House of fire,bed of nails.....).Alice was in his physical prime so to speak :love:
I wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:41 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote: I was just messing of course.

On to your point, I would like to expand on what you said earlier. I think a lot of this could have to do with the appeal and the music scene at the time, which IMHO, was targeting women as their demographic. Alice, a hard rock act in the 70s, was now about the "hair band/sex" theme of the late 1980s that we saw a lot of then. The ballads, the sappy content, the "sleazy" feel may have appealed more to women (ladies I hope you don't take that the wrong way.) I'm sure that can apply to guys to an extent.

"Only My Heart Talking" is sang by a man, and likely will be assumed or generalized as being sung about a woman.. so girls probably felt it was Alice singing these songs to them. Another case in point to him "targeting" these songs towards women, is even during the live shows he picks women out in the audience for "Poison." While I know many guys who like the song, it probably just sticks out to women more though as they feel these songs are to them? I think this might be why women may like the album a lot more than guys to.

I think you may see this with Aerosmith fans as well for instance.. more guys probably like the earlier 70s stuff, while more women will like the stuff of their 1980s material like "Love In An Elevator" stuff? (That doesn't rule out one not liking the other of course.)

I hope I don't sound like I'm sexist or anything, my intentions are very far from it with what I am meaning to say and am sorry if what I said is taken the wrong way.
And hmmm.....I wonder now if male fans are lurking on the Maidens List.....?:rotfl:
Where shall we start?
I think you make some valid points. Many of the lyrics in Trash could be more appealing to female fans as they are sexy.
And I agree with what you've said about the "hair bands" of the late 80s and your comments about Aerosmith. From reading Metal Sludge, it does appear that some male fans have been turned off by Aerosmith's more recent albums and it is predominantly female fans that comprise Aerosmith's audience nowadays.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Gorehound wrote: I have noticed the female fans seem to love it, good observation glamprincess.
Thanks Gore! Do female ferrets like to listen to Trash more than male ferrets do?

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:53 pm

BellaDonna wrote:Interesting point. I think that those CD's (Trash and Hey Stoopid - I prefer Hey Stoopid with Trash running a close second...) were directed towards women and the women in the audience heard it, perhaps identified with it (in some strange way) and responded favorably.

Men on the other hand: well, they weren't really being addressed in those two.
It's all "lonliest spectator, ..all else fails, drive you..., ..home into your bedroom..,drip on your thighs..untie your sensuality, meet my libido, world into a dark and lonely place..,your lipstick shines, Dirty Dreams (nuf said), wind up toy..etc....and that's just a few words from "Hey Stoopid"... "..mouth so hot..touch you everywhere, window to watch you, all teary eyed.., only my heart, maniac, ain't the way you crawl... Pahleaase. That just screams, "Ladies listen to me!"

We heard him. We loved it. Amen.

Nice one Glam!

BD
Thanks BellaDonna!
I agree with pretty much everything you said. The sexy lyrics are inviting and are therefore more directed to women.
Trash fit the late 80s when the "hair bands" were very popular, particularly with women. With Trash, I think Alice attracted more female fans and expanded his audience.

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:31 pm

....speaking as the Co -inhabitant of a fully flredged "Millie-dawgg"" (...I was gonna corrct that typing error...but, on second thoughts, I like it....) Millie has just waggled her brains out to "Live In Montreaux" DVD....she went apes**t during the BDB intro ( No change there.....) then wagged her tail to "Poison"....and she is NOT a Maiden!!! ...(sparky wouldn't let her join...CWUELL sparky...Bad girl!!!).
She runs and hides upstairs if I ever play "Beatles" stuff....sterange dawgg......

Love to "Dante"....Gutter cats rule!!!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

smanomega
Killer
Killer

Post by smanomega » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:03 pm

aH TRASH What a let down just getting into alice with Constrictor quickly followed by Raise your fist. My friend comes back from the USA and brings me a gift a NEW Alice cooper album!!! Which I run to get a radio to play it on . The entire time he tels me there's a song called poison on it an it's really good. Eager with anticipation I start the tape, the intro guitar sounds promissing then I was thoroughly let down. I grew on me after awards And I still like I'm your gun Trash and Poison (a little) BUT not a fave Hey stoopid IS way better BUT still not top 5 for me Totally aimed at female appreciation . Which is fine cause you got to appreciate females in the crowd (least I do) not much for sausage fests when I'm out in public lol especially at concerts. Rock on ladies ROCK on.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:05 pm

glamprincess wrote:
Gorehound wrote: I have noticed the female fans seem to love it, good observation glamprincess.
Thanks Gore! Do female ferrets like to listen to Trash more than male ferrets do?
Sure do glam. But the male ferrets do like the video for Poison, uncut version of course :laugh:
Flesh fanatic psychopath