The Blitz is ON!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 am

The mastercard ad is a great idea, in my opinion....it is bringing attention to Alice again ( Although, admittedly, with his biggest "Hit"......) It gets the "Name" known and talked about again....( Co-incidentally....talking about Alice being noticed....I was "Child-minding for a friend last night ( The parents had gone to see "Sugababes".....ah well...)....and the young lad noticed my Tobacco tin ( No, I don't smoke in front of kids..) which has a "Home made" design of Alice on it...and he asked me who was Alice cooper....As we were watching "Doctor Who" at the time, I didn't drag him to the stereo and "Force-fed his ears...I just loaned him some CDs.....Think we have the makings of a NEW fan!!!)
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:35 am

Over the past year I have argued that Coop could be doing more promotion with video (since his show is so visual) and through the Internet targeted to his potential audience and that it didn't require a fortune to do so. It was an opportunity to work a little smarter and adapt to the changing times. Seems like his management team was willing to give it a try.

Let's face it, spending a fortune trying to sell a metal/slasher CD on TV and in print might not be wise. He is in an industry niche and focused promotion optimizing word of mouth among rock fans will get the most bang for the buck.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:45 am

>Now, Andrew...

Who said you can call me that?

>are you and I going to have to become confrontaional?

Why are you so paranoid?

>I qualify my statement simply by pointing out that until this moment, none of Alice's albums has been met with this kind of advance hype since at least Trash... if even that.

You only qualified it, because you’ve been challenged. Just because there appears to be more promotion than there has been in recent years, does not mean there’s been a “full on media blitz”. It’s misleading towards those who have never actually experienced a “full on media blitz”. Are you saying this album is receiving the same kind of exposure that “Thriller” did, or “Bad” did?

>Thus, this equals a full on media blitz.

You seem to have problems with the English language. Drawing a comparison with something that happened previously does not establish the comparison as a fact. Again, what you wrote is both false and misleading.

> It is very apparent that this campaign is aiming at a wider audience.

So what? That doesn't make it "a full on media blitz".

>So far I am aware of:
> Outside fan circles internet hype (Melodic Rock)

>That's impressive!

> A new look to the official site based upon the Spider motif.

So how come the mewspapers, radio television and internet aren't full of articles storied about it, then?!

> The You Tube channel - something obviously tied into the hype.

How is that a “blitz”?

>(Check the background before you agrue that point.)

Now I know why you mentioned a ‘confrontation’ – you don’t really believe what you wrote and are just trying to provoke a confrontation. I would warn you take care. You are confusing the apparent increase in promotion with “a full on media blitz”, which so far does not exist. For one thing, if you REALLY knew what you’re talking about, you would know that the days of the “full on media blitz” in the record business are over.

> The formatted magazine ads that have been leaked on this site and others.

Big deal! There were also “formatted magazine ads” for the previous albums as well.

>Seriously, now... how can you argue that this is not the most extensive pre-release attention that has been given in the past twenty years to an Alice release?

You have no idea what you’re talking about. I can give you several examples of the bigger promotion that “The Last Temptation” received at this similar stage, just prior to it’s release. The only thing from the examples you give, that didn’t exist before was the YouTube development!

>If my use of the phrase BLITZ doesn't meet your standards of proper usage,

Now we’re getting to the point of the matter. You seem to suggest that you did indeed exaggerate your point.

>then perhaps you can come up with a term to convey my personal anticipation and perception of what I see.

It’s not my job to write YOUR posts for you, just because you didn’t stop and think about whether or not you should use that phrase in the first place (or maybe because YOU couldn’t think of an alternative).

>For me, the term BLITZ is right on!

But you just said it was based on your “perception”. Before that, you said:
> Thus, this equals a full on media blitz.

So we’ve gone from “equals a full on media blitz”, to you only having a “perception” that one exists. If English is not your first language, let us know so that we can make allowances for the fact.

>In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is the biggest, best, and most highly anticipated album of the year. Argue THAT point.

Why should I have to? It makes no difference to me how “highly anticipated” it is. Besides, WickedYoungMan gave you at least two examples of albums that might have been arguably “the biggest, best, and most highly anticipated album of the year”. Unless “Along Came A Spider” does at least as well as those two, what you say is again, arguably, false.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 am

>We are all used to no exposure whatsoever.

That's probably because you're a lot younger than some of us on this board.

> Compared to that, this is awesome!

Agreed. This last sentence from Feezle-Nuts, made more sense than all the comments which Dannorama has posted, because unlike Dannorama, he's not exaggerating the situation.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:25 am

>I don't want to say I disagree with you entirely

You don’t have to, because in an earlier post, you used the word “hype”, which even if not entirely accurate (contrary to what some may think, I don’t insist on one hundred per cent semantic accuracy), is a far more appropriate word to use, compared to a phrase like “full on media blitz”.

>but in this case we're talking about two different mediums though in two different times.

Exactly.

>"Trash" Promotion equaled extensive MTV airplay (oh the days when MTV was actually Music Television) extensive radio airplay, press conferences on the world tour, Alice appearing on national broadcast shows, and a tour that was probably pumped hard full of money from "Epic," etc etc.

>To be fair to Dannorama, he (or she is) talking about a “full on media blitz” before this new album has even been released. With some of the examples you give above, these happened after the album in question was released.

>The current day stuff is likely going to be exposed by niche websites,

Exactly. You seem to have learned something from our previous discussion.

> There really isn't "mainstream" promotion going on yet in the sense that you may be thinking of it

Exactly.

>(I used "mainstream" for lack of better term). Myspace is extremely important and an ABSOLUTE blessing for someone like Alice however.

According to Dannorama, that’s the same as “full on media blitz”, though!

>I think the same has been done for D.D. as well. To be fair, I think at this point in time D.D. had more mainstream press than ACAS does now.

Exactly. Almost all the albums from “A Fistful Of Alice” right through to “Dirty Diamonds” had more, exposure at this stage than the new album does. At least Dannorama admits he has a bad memory because in his first post he says that he doesn’t remember there being ‘as much’ or more exposure for some of the preceding albums. So even though he doesn't remember what happened before, he still says there is "a full on media blitz" happening now, even though he later says it's only a "perception".

>But the whole problem is they haven't made it to Magazines yet.

Exactly.

>When they actually start hitting magazines and mainstream material press then we know there is potential "blitz" (I think D.D. also had press ads.)

Yes it did, as did all the preceding albums which Dannorama has forgotten about.

>but not sure about "full on media blitz."

Exactly.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:48 pm

This is not a full on media blitz, a full on media blitz happened in 1972/73 when Alice was the biggest act in the world.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:08 pm

>Over the past year I have argued that Coop could be doing more promotion with video (since his show is so visual) and through the Internet targeted to his potential audience and that it didn't require a fortune to do so.

There’s nothing wrong with that, as long as you don’t expect millions of albums sold as a result.

>Let's face it, spending a fortune trying to sell a metal/slasher CD on TV and in print might not be wise. He is in an industry niche

That’s what I’ve been saying pretty much since I joined this board.

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm so happy with all this exposure....I'm becoming a "Born Again Fan " all over again ! I'm happy he is really gettin "Out There "with this album. Maybe someone noticed all his accomplishments and realized there was so much to be exposed. Alice is a gem overlooked by so many...maybe this is his Big Year. :clap:
And Its about time ! :laugh:

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:38 pm

I expect the album to be a good one and agree that the exposure ACAS is getting is the best in quite some time now, call me synical but it remains to be seen if all the effort pays off (and I hope it does).

I don't want to get my hopes up too much until I see how it does when it's released.

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:59 am

[quote="steven_crayn"]I think the best publicity Alice is getting at the moment is the new Mastercard advert I saw it on TV the other day having first seen the link on this site, and their is no doubt the power of Television Advertising works.

People who are not aware of Alice Cooper are going to hear that great song in that ad and think wow what is this song and will no doubt find out about who recorded this song.

im not trying to be funny here, but why are you assuming that people who hear the song will think its great?
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:48 am

hywel wrote:
im not trying to be funny here, but why are you assuming that people who hear the song will think its great?
They would have to be deaf if they thought it wasn't
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:38 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
hywel wrote:
thats your opinion.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:46 am

Surely, anyone who is into rock music, and therefore liable to even consider buying a Coop album , must know Schools Out by now.
Any freebie given away / compilation album contains it. To be a rock fan and not to have heard Schools Out, c`mon.

To think that the Mastercard ad may improve sales of ACAS is wishful thinking IMO.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:31 am

hywel wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
hywel wrote:
thats your opinion.
Everything I say is my opinion!

Why, do you think anyone who didn't like School's Out would be of a right mind or not have something wrong with their hearing?

It wasn't a number one single for nothing, it is a great song!

One of those rare moments in time when a truly great song was also popular.
Last edited by steven_crayn on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 am

Baz wrote:Surely, anyone who is into rock music, and therefore liable to even consider buying a Coop album , must know Schools Out by now.
Any freebie given away / compilation album contains it. To be a rock fan and not to have heard Schools Out, c`mon.

To think that the Mastercard ad may improve sales of ACAS is wishful thinking IMO.
School's out would get kids into rock music!

Real rock music, not most the crap around today

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:52 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Baz wrote:Surely, anyone who is into rock music, and therefore liable to even consider buying a Coop album , must know Schools Out by now.

School's out would get kids into rock music!

Real rock music, not most the crap around today
how do you know the song would get the kids into rock music? some already are, but it is the rock music that they like.

i agree it was and is a geat track, but the kids are buying quite a bit of the so called crap as you put it aren't they.

this is a different time in history and peoples tastes change.

great to us but maybe dated to others.

i can think of tons of songs that were great way back, but now they may not be.
tastes change.

theres an easy way to find out if your assumptions are true. lets wait to see how well this album does. from what i have heard of it i doubt it very much but lets hope i am wrong.