The Blitz is ON!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

The Blitz is ON!

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I can't recall a full on media blitz like the one we seem to be witnessing right now. Looks like at least three full page magazine ads have been produced, and now we see the You Tube channel... Revving up weeks ahead of the release. This is a far cry from taking the "street-team" approach, ala New West Records.

I wonder who it is that got so serious? Is it that Alice finally found a label who wants to invest in him? Or is it management on his side ponying up?

Whichever the case... Looks like we have a lot to look forward to and collect!

Go, man! Go!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:36 pm

very encouraged so far.this type of agressiveness is long overdue on an alice album.what will we do with ourselves if this cd is actually a hit??? :bam:

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree that SPV is being much more active and all of the promo shots have looked great. Unfortunately, so far, I have only found them on sites that relate to SPV or to Alice. I would really like to see them in some more mainstream and traditional medium along with the aggressive online campaign. However, I understand the expense coupled with Alice's recent sales may make that impractical.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:44 pm

that's a good point-someone on another thread did say that there were at least three full page ads in some magazines though.fingers and toes crossed!

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 pm

scotty wrote:that's a good point-someone on another thread did say that there were at least three full page ads in some magazines though.fingers and toes crossed!
i think that the you tube idea is great. can't wait.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:16 pm

I hope the product is equal to the marketing. Our little secret may be getting out and good seats next year may be harder and more expensive to come by.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:30 pm

>Our little secret may be getting out and good seats next year may be harder and more expensive to come by.

Well, you're the one who was complaining that Alice wasn't playing bigger venues, as I recall.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Good for us. Good for Alice.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Quite true Andy, LOL! We need an official Coop fan club like Petty, ZZ, Styx, Stones, Who so we can get those up close seats in the sold out arenas!!!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Personally, I'm still holding out to see what they do. So far it seems a lot of the stuff has been pushed by the Alice camp ala the Myspace, etc. I suspect the "print ads" were made just for that purpose and possibly commissioned by the record label, but I'd like to actually know what print rags will be publishing it?

The YouTube thing has gotten me interested however.

Having said that, there does seem to be a lot more hype *online* regarding this album. Out in the material world? Still waiting.
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:24 pm

>Having said that, there does seem to be a lot more hype *online* regarding this album. Out in the material world? Still waiting.

That's why a phrase such as "full on media blitz" is, at the moment, an exaggeration.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:28 pm

We are all used to no exposure whatsoever. Compared to that, this is awesome!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:45 pm

If sales exceed DD by a wide margin will it being attributed to better marketing and promotion or the quality of the product?

Does quality matter at all in the music business these days?
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:If sales exceed DD by a wide margin will it being attributed to better marketing and promotion or the quality of the product?
Probably the former. Not to take away from the latter.
Does quality matter at all in the music business these days?
Well... Coldplay is shipping about a million copies in the U.S. in it's first two weeks. Lil Wayne just shipped a million in the first week. Nickelback are holding on to the charts. And "Panic At The Disco!" and "Fall Out Boy" are allowed to make music.

Answer your question? ;)
Me = Winning

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:01 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>

That's why a phrase such as "full on media blitz" is, at the moment, an exaggeration.

Now, Andrew... are you and I going to have to become confrontaional? I qualify my statement simply by pointing out that until this moment, none of Alice's albums has been met with this kind of advance hype since at least Trash... if even that.

Thus, this equals a full on media blitz. It is very apparent that this campaign is aiming at a wider audience.

So far I am aware of:
> Outside fan circles internet hype (Melodic Rock)
> A new look to the official site based upon the Spider motif.
> The You Tube channel - something obviously tied into the hype. (Check the background before you agrue that point.)
> The formatted magazine ads that have been leaked on this site and others.

Seriously, now... how can you argue that this is not the most extensive pre-release attention that has been given in the past twenty years to an Alice release? If my use of the phrase BLITZ doesn't meet your standards of proper usage, then perhaps you can come up with a term to convey my personal anticipation and perception of what I see. For me, the term BLITZ is right on! In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is the biggest, best, and most highly anticipated album of the year. Argue THAT point.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:55 am

Saw an advert on TV tonight for the `new` Aerosmith album , ( a best of ).

Will we ever see an Alice album advertised on TV ? Methinks not.

Personally, I think the youtube affair is more of a treat for Alice`s fans, than an all out advertising campaign.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:31 am

[quote="Baz"]Saw an advert on TV tonight for the `new` Aerosmith album , ( a best of ).

"zipper catches skin"?

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:42 am

Dannorama wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>

Now, Andrew... are you and I going to have to become confrontaional? I qualify my statement simply by pointing out that until this moment, none of Alice's albums has been met with this kind of advance hype since at least Trash... if even that.

I don't want to say I disagree with you entirely, but in this case we're talking about two different mediums though in two different times. "Trash" Promotion equaled extensive MTV airplay (oh the days when MTV was actually Music Television) extensive radio airplay, press conferences on the world tour, Alice appearing on national broadcast shows, and a tour that was probably pumped hard full of money from "Epic," etc etc.

The current day stuff is likely going to be exposed by niche websites, Alice's sites, (which isn't a bad thing at all.) some radio airplay if we're lucky, and a talk show if we're lucky.

Thus, this equals a full on media blitz. It is very apparent that this campaign is aiming at a wider audience.

Is it really though thus far? So far the stuff has been through Alice's myspace, which can be argued to be at a somewhat exclusive audience (but I will give you the amount of casual fans who are on it.) Not to detract from what it does, as I think there is a potentially "wider" audience on his Myspace friends list just as I do feel in the live concert setting, but with what I personally think about with "wider audience" is actually putting those ads in the magazines (which I'm not saying won't happen but we haven't seen it yet!) radio ads, the single being pushed to radio, web banners, etc.

From what I can tell, the guy in charge of the Myspace is doing his absolute very best in conjunction with Piggy D to deliver everything they can and target it to the audience they can reach first. There really isn't "mainstream" promotion going on yet in the sense that you may be thinking of it (I used "mainstream" for lack of better term). Myspace is extremely important and an ABSOLUTE blessing for someone like Alice however.

So far I am aware of:
> Outside fan circles internet hype (Melodic Rock)

I think the same has been done for D.D. as well. To be fair, I think at this point in time D.D. had more mainstream press than ACAS does now.

> A new look to the official site based upon the Spider motif.

Well considering the new "teaser" page looks better than AliceCooper.com ever has in the past is just hype by itself.

> The You Tube channel - something obviously tied into the hype. (Check the background before you agrue that point.)

Valid point.

> The formatted magazine ads that have been leaked on this site and others.

But the whole problem is they haven't made it to Magazines yet. They are just on Alice's official myspace for now (which doesn't take away from their effectiveness on their own.) When they actually start hitting magazines and mainstream material press then we know there is potential "blitz" (I think D.D. also had press ads.)

I agree there is a lot of hype, but not sure about "full on media blitz."
Me = Winning

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:50 am

scotty wrote:
Baz wrote:Saw an advert on TV tonight for the `new` Aerosmith album , ( a best of ).

"zipper catches skin"?
I did actually mean , going forward.
I should have made it clear what I meant.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:18 am

I think the best publicity Alice is getting at the moment is the new Mastercard advert I saw it on TV the other day having first seen the link on this site, and their is no doubt the power of Television Advertising works.

People who are not aware of Alice Cooper are going to hear that great song in that ad and think wow what is this song and will no doubt find out about who recorded this song.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/82801 ... -Ericsson/
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV