Which AC show would you time-travel to?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:20 pm

steven_crayn wrote:Fantastic thread Glam Princess i've often thought about this........
or Schools Out show Green's Playhouse Glasgow (the famous gig that made the national press here with the picture of that girl with her arms outstrectched) ....

It would be interesting to hear from those lucky enough to have seen Alice live in the 1970's either in this thread or a new one. How good was it in the flesh?
At least we have the videos from the 1970's but nothing can beat the real thing.
Thanks Steven. :)
I was actually going to mention the 1972 Glasgow show as one I wished I had seen as that's a very famous show. While Alice's 1972 Wembley show was famous because School's Out had just gone to #1 in the UK, when the ACG returned and did the Glasgow show in the fall, they were so hugely popular that the show in Glasgow garnered huge attention and the fans went nuts.
I am one of the lucky fans who did see Alice during the 70s. And it is different to actually see the show live rather than just on DVD. No DVD or recording can ever capture the excitement and electricity of actually being there! The 70s were also a very different time than the ensuing decades. Not only was it Alice Cooper's heyday, but the 70s were the heyday of hard rock music too. Kids took their rock n roll very seriously and it was their life! One could only buy tickets through the venue so 10,000 kids would sleep outside the venue the night before tickets went on sale to get tickets for the best shows! That's how important rock n roll was in those days!
I did see the legendary Welcome to My Nightmare Show. I was very young (a pre-teen at the time) but I remember the show very well. It was my first Alice show and it was very surreal. The huge spider web was amazing as was seeing Alice jump out of the split screen. I remember seeing Sheryl on the bed with Alice and I had no idea that there was any romantic involvement as the fans did not know that yet.
I will always regret not going to the winter B$B show and missing that show! I had just become a fan at the exact same time and I was a very little girl so I did not get to go. So I want to time-travel to that show!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 pm

>While Alice's 1972 Wembley show was famous because School's Out had just gone to #1 in the UK

I think that happened just after the show.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:01 pm

All of them! :laugh:

Specifically BDB, WTMN, RYFAY, BP and DT.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:48 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Schools Out show Green's Playhouse Glasgow (the famous gig that made the national press here with the picture of that girl with her arms outstrectched)

Which publication was this? There was a local Scottish newspaper that had this on the front - cover.
Would that be the Hurricane Alice (he's a riot ...and 300 frenzied fans join in) with Alice and Snake to the left of page and girl in seperate shot Saturday November 11th 1972 pictures by David Robertson story by Art Graham?

I've got it in a book called 'I read the news today' and though it looks like a cutting from The Daily Mirror, the paper title is cut off, so I stand corrected on that, do you know the Scottish newspaper in question?

Fantastic cutting!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Which AC show would you time-travel to?

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:58 am

glamprincess wrote:( I did see the Welcome to My Nightmare show even though I am only 29 years old.....)
That would have made you minus 4 in 1975! :evil:
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:50 am

Any of the Killer shows. At this time you can imagine that the ACG was pretty much up to full battle speed and we have the DVD of the BDB tour.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:05 pm

glamprincess wrote:
Thanks Steven. :)
I was actually going to mention the 1972 Glasgow show as one I wished I had seen as that's a very famous show. While Alice's 1972 Wembley show was famous because School's Out had just gone to #1 in the UK, when the ACG returned and did the Glasgow show in the fall, they were so hugely popular that the show in Glasgow garnered huge attention and the fans went nuts.
I am one of the lucky fans who did see Alice during the 70s. And it is different to actually see the show live rather than just on DVD. No DVD or recording can ever capture the excitement and electricity of actually being there! The 70s were also a very different time than the ensuing decades. Not only was it Alice Cooper's heyday, but the 70s were the heyday of hard rock music too. Kids took their rock n roll very seriously and it was their life! One could only buy tickets through the venue so 10,000 kids would sleep outside the venue the night before tickets went on sale to get tickets for the best shows! That's how important rock n roll was in those days!
I did see the legendary Welcome to My Nightmare Show. I was very young (a pre-teen at the time) but I remember the show very well. It was my first Alice show and it was very surreal. The huge spider web was amazing as was seeing Alice jump out of the split screen. I remember seeing Sheryl on the bed with Alice and I had no idea that there was any romantic involvement as the fans did not know that yet.
I will always regret not going to the winter B$B show and missing that show! I had just become a fan at the exact same time and I was a very little girl so I did not get to go. So I want to time-travel to that show!
Totally agree with you about nothing can beat being there live, of the 30 or so shows I have been at since the 1980's some of which have come out on either official or bootleg DVD/Video, the recordings can't compare.

Even the nights I was actually there when they were officially filming (Trashes The World - Birmingham NEC and Brutally Live - Hammersmith ) don't have the same impact as what it was like on the night. I think people pick out faults in performance and sound quality that you don't notice when you are actually there.

I think it was really good when Alice had that big comeback in 1986 that we could at last see the Guillotine which had never toured here in the UK, and then the Gallows in 1988 even though we did get that one in 72. Like you say The Magic Screen was good when it reappeared on The Hey Stoopid Tour.

I think Alice should always do big theatrical productions which when I first saw him on the Special Forces Tour wasn't the case, even though it was great to see him at last, especially as it was 7 years since his last apearance in the UK and a lot of us British fans were beginning to worry we would never see the great man live, thankfully he has made up for it with many shows here since which I and others have taken full advantage of!

I would love to see Alice bring back The Electric Chair, I think that was particularly effective on The Strange Case Video even though it was first used before the better known execution props.

Maybee the spiders web will reappear on the Along Comes A Spider tour?

Ravenred
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Ravenred » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Hey stoopid tour was great otherwise Raise your fist..Alice was pretty evil then..i've seen the clips where he's egging the crowd on before he kills the girl :laugh:
I wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name

Hobo in the Snow
Trash
Trash

Post by Hobo in the Snow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:52 pm

I'd like to travel back in time... see one every single day for about a month.

I d start by findin a few Earwigs and then Spiders gigs- before the band was cool When everybody was clearing ther room after three songs like they supposedly did, Id stand there and say "Hey dumb*sses, you dont know what youre doing". Then Id ask the Coop for lifetime backstage passes to all of his shows for a lifetime!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:56 pm

>Would that be the Hurricane Alice (he's a riot ...and 300 frenzied fans join in) with Alice and Snake to the left of page and girl in seperate shot Saturday November 11th 1972 pictures by David Robertson story by Art Graham?

Yes.

>do you know the Scottish newspaper in question?

"Daily Record."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm surprised no one's said they'd like to go back and see the Chicken Incident. haha.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:57 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Would that be the Hurricane Alice (he's a riot ...and 300 frenzied fans join in) with Alice and Snake to the left of page and girl in seperate shot Saturday November 11th 1972 pictures by David Robertson story by Art Graham?

Yes.

>do you know the Scottish newspaper in question?

"Daily Record."
Cheers

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Think i'll change my 1971 time travel from Birmingham to the Rainbow, London when Arthur Brown was also on the bill!

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:13 am

The original band's "coming out" show at the Whiskey a Go Go for "Pretties for You." Would have been great to see them in a small club.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 am

>The original band's "coming out" show at the Whiskey a Go Go for "Pretties for You."

What ""coming out" show"?

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Which AC show would you time-travel to?

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:49 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
glamprincess wrote:( I did see the Welcome to My Nightmare show even though I am only 29 years old.....)
That would have made you minus 4 in 1975! :evil:
I know.....amazing eh? ;)

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm

steven_crayn wrote: Totally agree with you about nothing can beat being there live, of the 30 or so shows I have been at since the 1980's some of which have come out on either official or bootleg DVD/Video, the recordings can't compare.

Even the nights I was actually there when they were officially filming (Trashes The World - Birmingham NEC and Brutally Live - Hammersmith ) don't have the same impact as what it was like on the night. I think people pick out faults in performance and sound quality that you don't notice when you are actually there.

I think it was really good when Alice had that big comeback in 1986 that we could at last see the Guillotine which had never toured here in the UK, and then the Gallows in 1988 even though we did get that one in 72. Like you say The Magic Screen was good when it reappeared on The Hey Stoopid Tour.

I think Alice should always do big theatrical productions which when I first saw him on the Special Forces Tour wasn't the case, even though it was great to see him at last, especially as it was 7 years since his last apearance in the UK and a lot of us British fans were beginning to worry we would never see the great man live, thankfully he has made up for it with many shows here since which I and others have taken full advantage of!

I would love to see Alice bring back The Electric Chair, I think that was particularly effective on The Strange Case Video even though it was first used before the better known execution props.

It's interesting that you point out that people notice the "flaws" more when they watch it on DVD or a recording rather than seeing the show live. I think that is very true. People notice the flaws more on a recording and are much more critical because they are watching it as a "movie". When it is live, the experience is much more surreal and one is part of the "movie", so the "flaws" are not as noticeable. Also, the show is much more electrifying when it is live. A recording just cannot capture what the senses can capture when it is live. When you are actually there, you can hear the fans screaming, see the fights at the barricade, smell the sweat.....the senses are alive and one is part of the "movie". It is totally different than just watching the show on a DVD.

It's also interesting to mention that the UK didn't get to experience the guillotine until The Nightmare Returns as Europe missed the B$B tour. It sometimes gets forgotten that the Europeans never got to see the infamous B$B tour.

I don't know if I'd want Alice to bring back the electric chair. When I've seen clips, it doesn't have the impact of the guillotine or the gallows as Alice just sits there and has to act because there is no image without Alice just faking it. So, I don't think it would be as exciting as the guillotine or the gallows.

I wouldn't be surprised if he brings back the spider web because it would certainly fit the new theme.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:13 pm

glamprincess wrote:
steven_crayn wrote: Totally agree with you about nothing can beat being there live, of the 30 or so shows I have been at since the 1980's some of which have come out on either official or bootleg DVD/Video, the recordings can't compare.

It's interesting that you point out that people notice the "flaws" more when they watch it on DVD or a recording rather than seeing the show live. I think that is very true. People notice the flaws more on a recording and are much more critical because they are watching it as a "movie". When it is live, the experience is much more surreal and one is part of the "movie", so the "flaws" are not as noticeable. Also, the show is much more electrifying when it is live. A recording just cannot capture what the senses can capture when it is live. When you are actually there, you can hear the fans screaming, see the fights at the barricade, smell the sweat.....the senses are alive and one is part of the "movie". It is totally different than just watching the show on a DVD.

It's also interesting to mention that the UK didn't get to experience the guillotine until The Nightmare Returns as Europe missed the B$B tour. It sometimes gets forgotten that the Europeans never got to see the infamous B$B tour.

I don't know if I'd want Alice to bring back the electric chair. When I've seen clips, it doesn't have the impact of the guillotine or the gallows as Alice just sits there and has to act because there is no image without Alice just faking it. So, I don't think it would be as exciting as the guillotine or the gallows.

I wouldn't be surprised if he brings back the spider web because it would certainly fit the new theme.
I take your point about the Electric Chair but aside form those that haven't seen it live, it could be updated to be more horrific, say like it went wrong and Alice fries say like a bloody version of that scene in the film The Green Mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTgFkQs ... re=related

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:24 am

boy was tom hanks mad after that!

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:53 am

There are so many different shows I would have love to have seen but I had to narrow it down to an ACG concert. From the School's Out tour I would pick. The ACG were at their peak as a band in my opinion. Even though, the B$B tour was bigger, more theatrical and was the ACG's commercial peak I still would have loved to see something earlier.
"Same as always, different as ever"