Which AC show would you time-travel to?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Good topic!!

I've seen all tours in the UK since he came over here in 1982, I had waited 10 years to see Cooper (was too young in the early to mid 70s) and would have LOVED to have witnessed Alice Cooper in its real heyday, when it was truly fresh, dangerous and exciting! I think the Killer tour 'jumps out' at me because I reckon they were genuinely scarey then and had hit their musical peak, AND, they hadn't 'sold out' too much..if you know what I mean!???? B$B was a bit contrived and SO was heading that way.

Apart from that, I would LOVE to go back to the Lace and Whisky show...definately!!

peskysnake
Trash
Trash

Re: Which AC show would you time-travel to?

Post by peskysnake » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:48 pm

glamprincess wrote:Assuming you could jump into a time-travel machine and go back and see a past Alice Cooper show and/or tour.....which one(s) would you choose?
I would love to travel back and see a show from the Killer, School's Out or Billion Dollar Babies tours. ( I did see the Welcome to My Nightmare show even though I am only 29 years old.....)Specific shows I would have loved to see: I would have loved to see the infamous 1972 show at the Hollywood Bowl where paper panties were dropped on the audience from a helicopter. I would have also loved to see the late 1972 show at the Philadelphia Spectrum where there were 55,000 people in the audience and the ACG were becoming the biggest band in the world. And I would have loved to see Alice at the B$B show at Madison Square Garden in New York City in the spring of 1973. Especially to see Alice wearing his lovely leopard-skin boots with lipstick smears.

The Welcome to my Nightmare show was in 1975, as you were not born until 1979-1980, did you time travel to that show? ;)

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:49 pm

She rented the video.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Which AC show would you time-travel to?

Post by glamprincess » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 pm

peskysnake wrote:
glamprincess wrote:Assuming you could jump into a time-travel machine and go back and see a past Alice Cooper show and/or tour.....which one(s) would you choose?
I would love to travel back and see a show from the Killer, School's Out or Billion Dollar Babies tours. ( I did see the Welcome to My Nightmare show even though I am only 29 years old.....)Specific shows I would have loved to see: I would have loved to see the infamous 1972 show at the Hollywood Bowl where paper panties were dropped on the audience from a helicopter. I would have also loved to see the late 1972 show at the Philadelphia Spectrum where there were 55,000 people in the audience and the ACG were becoming the biggest band in the world. And I would have loved to see Alice at the B$B show at Madison Square Garden in New York City in the spring of 1973. Especially to see Alice wearing his lovely leopard-skin boots with lipstick smears.

The Welcome to my Nightmare show was in 1975, as you were not born until 1979-1980, did you time travel to that show? ;)
This has already been answered on the thread. I actually did see the show back in 1975. I was joking. I am not really 29 years old.
Last edited by glamprincess on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Malchik wrote:She rented the video.
No. Read the entire thread. I saw the Welcome to My Nightmare show in 1975. I was just joking about my age.
Last edited by glamprincess on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 pm

To those that would want to go see Alice in the Special Forces era. Would you rather see him do that tour just as he was back then or see him do the same exact stage show but with the Alice of now?
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:38 pm

I'd want to see the tour as it was. If it was with the Alice of now, it wouldn't be the same. Yes, he was in a bad place then....but he came through it with flying colors, and is a big part of who he is/was.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:01 am

nimsowner wrote:To those that would want to go see Alice in the Special Forces era. Would you rather see him do that tour just as he was back then or see him do the same exact stage show but with the Alice of now?
And miss the new wave, proto-punk Alice? I don't think so. He was in bad health but was an awesome stage performer. I love his slick smeared whore makeup and feminine smirk and raised eyebrow. His dry damaged asian styled hair style. His dagger leather assassin pants and pilot jacket was the icing on this soldier of fortune look.

How can you think of such an idea?

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:28 am

Malchik wrote:
nimsowner wrote:To those that would want to go see Alice in the Special Forces era. Would you rather see him do that tour just as he was back then or see him do the same exact stage show but with the Alice of now?
And miss the new wave, proto-punk Alice? I don't think so. He was in bad health but was an awesome stage performer. I love his slick smeared whore makeup and feminine smirk and raised eyebrow. His dry damaged asian styled hair style. His dagger leather assassin pants and pilot jacket was the icing on this soldier of fortune look.

How can you think of such an idea?
Totally agree!

It was the 'way/state' he was in at that time that 'made/performed/' the music he did (and personnally i like it) if he'd been 'sober' i seriously doubt those albums would have been the same ;)
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 am

As it was, would be my recommendation.

Despite his dubious health it was an impressive show.

His appearance - as described above by Mallchik - was shocking in more ways than one; but he maintained his stage presence - he has never lost that, in my opinion.

I seem to recall that - at the end of the performance that I saw - he literally 'let his hair down', took out the huge pins and said something like, "You thought I'd had it cut off, didn't ya?!", a roar of appreciation went up from the crowd, and he blasted into Schools' Out (I think it was).
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Yeah you are right Maurice about the hair, the words and the song. I remember it well because I went to every Special Forces show in the UK as I had waited 10 years to;

a) Be old enough to go
b) For Cooper to do a show here

It was memorable; he was very very thin, but sharper and faster than usual it seemed. Also, Alice seemed a bit nastier and vicious.

Think I would like to time travel back to the Rainbow gig in London 1971 (Maurice went to that I believe!), how fresh, new and exciting that would be.

>While Alice's 1972 Wembley show was famous because School's Out had just gone to #1 in the UK

I think that happened just after the show.
I wonder how they managed to fill Wembley when they were pretty much unheard of in the UK until that single...OR was it because of that single??

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 pm

Gunner wrote: I wonder how they managed to fill Wembley when they were pretty much unheard of in the UK until that single...OR was it because of that single??
As Alice mentioned in Me Alice, their first Wembley gig was only half sold until one of their greatest publicity stunts ever. A billboard with Alice who was naked except for a strategically-placed snake, was on the side of a truck and the truck drove into Piccadilly Square during rush hour. The truck stalled and caused a terrible traffic jam. The picture of the "naked" Alice Cooper then made headline news all over the world. If Brits had been unaware of Alice Cooper prior to this incident, they became very aware after seeing his "naked" picture in the middle of London and on the news. Wembley was then sold out! And School's Out went to number one shortly afterwards.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 pm

killer era for me

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:02 pm

As Alice mentioned in Me Alice, their first Wembley gig was only half sold until one of their greatest publicity stunts ever. A billboard with Alice who was naked except for a strategically-placed snake, was on the side of a truck and the truck drove into Piccadilly Square during rush hour. The truck stalled and caused a terrible traffic jam. The picture of the "naked" Alice Cooper then made headline news all over the world. If Brits had been unaware of Alice Cooper prior to this incident, they became very aware after seeing his "naked" picture in the middle of London and on the news. Wembley was then sold out! And School's Out went to number one shortly afterwards.
Thanks for that, never took much notice of what was written in 'Me Alice'; to be quite frank.

Didn't realise that stalled truck generated so many ticket sales. I think they were only over for one 'Killer' show (don't quote me) that year, a bit of gamble in terms of ticket sales really. I mean, the Killer album wasn't big in the UK then to warrent sell out shows at Wembley. I guess it was all the rumours, urban legends etc!?

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:23 pm

we are talking about wembley arena or whatever it was called then indoor circa 10,000 audience....arent we...sometimes seems to be referred to as wembley stadium which would have been 70 to 100,000...anyway anyone who can confirm on this smallish point...would be ever so grateful for someone to put me right.ta

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:20 pm

>anyway anyone who can confirm on this smallish point

It was called Empire Pool, now known as Wembley Arena.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:35 pm

thanks A_,Michael...now just wanted to pick up on point made by Gunner earlier..Gunner did you go to Glasgow Apollo 82...remember it as full of maiden fans plus raucous crowd...lines of us were standing on the backs of our seats on the balcony..seats appeared to me shaking...v dangerous but I liked it...

teenagefrankenstein666
Trash
Trash

Post by teenagefrankenstein666 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 pm

I would have loved to see a show from the Billion Dollar Baby tour or Constrictor through Hey Stoopid tour. Kane Roberts era tours would have been a great one to see especially RYFAY. My top ones would be RYFAY tour or HS and BDB tour.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:34 am

teenagefrankenstein666 wrote:Kane Roberts era tours would have been a great one to see especially RYFAY.
I would have loved to have seen Kane on the RYFAY tour. I had to give up my tickets (the first time ever planning to see a Coop show) due to a funeral out of town. Or was it a wedding? Well, same thing. :grin:

One of my regrets when it comes to Coop. :/
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:22 pm

10,000 was a damn good audience for 'The Coopers' in England on the Killer tour before SO was a hit - that stalled truck must have been a killer promo stunt (excuse the pun)!