Need Your Help-Sputnikmusic.com (Possible Promotion)

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Scandal2000

Need Your Help-Sputnikmusic.com (Possible Promotion)

Post by Scandal2000 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Hey everyone! Several of us Sandra, Tina, Mike, Devon, and others I am sure I have forgotten have been working on some different ways to promote Alice. I have contacted several sites that list upcoming albums to make sure Alice is on their site, etc. Another idea being thrown around is to email Eddie Trunk at www.eddietrunk.com and see about getting Alice on one of his shows. He has an XM show dedicated to hard rock and metal every Monday night that is cool. That would be a good place to promote Alice. I want to encourage a few of you to email him. I think it would help a lot.

Another idea is a site called www.sputnikmusic.com. Sandra discovered it several weeks ago and I just took a look at it a few days ago. It has a ton of great music stuff on it. You can submit your on stories, etc. It could be a very good promotion tool for Alice. When I was looking at the site you can add any band you want and fans can come and rate the albums. I pulled up Alice and he doesn't have many ratings on that site (but then again a lot of bands aren't listed at all) The biggest thing I noticed was several albums were missing from his page. For those you with the time and a good computer, would you consider adding the missing albums and they would like it if there was a picture you could download of the cover. I would do myself but my computer is getting a little bit long in the tooth and getting the covers of the albums put on the page is not doable right now.

I know this sort of thing doesn't seem like a big deal to many of you, but this is a very popular site and every little bit helps. It is a pretty cool site. Thanks to everyone who is helping. For some reason, I have a feeling this album is going to do a little bit better than the last two. I hope you will do your part.

Thanks!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm

I've been on SputnikMusic for a few years now and have contributed Alice stuff there before, including one of the more recent "Spider" articles.

More than anything from others, they need the albums reviewed if people would want to volunteer for that. It's a pretty big site.
Me = Winning

Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 pm

It is a big site which is a good promotional tool. Like I said before, if anyone can easily add the missing albums and people vote, it may promote Alice.

Hit Eddie Trunk up as well and post about the new album on facebook and my space.

Hopefully we will get a single soon.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:23 am

Cool, tho that sputnikk site is not loading up for me. Never heard of it before, so I'll check it out.

However...I'm pretty unsure to be promoting / recommending an album that hasn't even been heard yet?

Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:40 pm

That's not what I am saying. There are places to post your own music news concerning Alice and there is a page that lists some of Alice's albums so you can rate them. If an album is highly rated, it may entice a few people to go out and buy it. It isn't just to promote the new album but all of Alice's work.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 pm

ok cool, the site's working for me too now - shall have a browse round 8-)

Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:13 pm

Good deal, I didn't know about the site either until recently. It has a lot of neat stuff. Finding ways to use the internet to promote the Coop is the one thing all of us as fans can do to help.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:57 am

Sputnikmusic doesn't look like a marketing tool....it'll be wrong to use it that way too. Seems to be more about critical reviews - for amateurs. I did one for Dirty Diamonds for the fun of it .... but wasn't for the sake of promotion, otherwise I'd have only said good stuff and tried to hype it up a bit.

You can't use the site for the sole purpose of promotion....it just won't be taken seriously as they're very harsh about the critique people write.

Might be better off creating your own site to promote Alice rather than using others just for a marketing tool (which i guess, could be considered spam..)

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:39 am

ElectedPlus wrote:Might be better off creating your own site to promote Alice rather than using others just for a marketing tool (which i guess, could be considered spam..)
In all honesty the only real promotion will come from the "News Section" which of course can just end up being promotion for bands anyway. And that's what it's there for. It's a Music Community and as long as people contribute they are happy.
Me = Winning

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Oh ok, I didn't come across any news section - just looked at the well written reviews that where on the front page and the ones written about the albums of my favourite bands. (Which only some got any reviews).

Very cool site! But after many attempts I could only get on it once.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 am

ElectedPlus wrote:Oh ok, I didn't come across any news section - just looked at the well written reviews that where on the front page and the ones written about the albums of my favourite bands. (Which only some got any reviews).
Yep the news section is on the right side of the home page. But I haven't been able to get on for a couple of days either.
Me = Winning

Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Exactly and it is not spamming. Fans of bands always do their best to promote their favorite artist, that is the purpose of a music site, just like the purpose of this site is for us to promote and discuss Alice. Creating your own Alice fanpage really doesn't help anymore than a site like that maybe less because the only people who are going to look at your site for the most part are already Alice fans. A more random music site like Sputnik can get out Alice news to more people. We disagree on this one.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:33 pm

No, I think we kind of agree here - I can see how sputnickmusic will raise awareness for Alice, especially if all his albums got reviewed - I'm just saying to be cautious that our efforts of reviewing or ratings are honest and with a sense of crtique if they're going to be taken seriously. Have you seen the comments from reviews? They really pick apart what is said....

Which isn't great for a sales-driven promotion effort (which, I think, is your objective as you want to see this do well in sales?). I mean, them users will be right to turn around and rip right into my review saying that it's biased (I'm a dedicated fan), that I have no other experience in reviewing other albums... and to top it off, I have no technical music knowledge. That's why I did my best by focusing on the themes and compared it to his past works rather than other artists, and that I made sure to make it as balanced as I can.

Even a good technical review will most likely not be singing all of Alice's praises, which is what is mostly needed for sales driven promotion (steven_crayn I think would be well qualified to make a much more decent review than my attempt due to his acute technical music knowledge, and that knowledge of other bands styles to compare to).

Although maybe have conflicting interests ... I have little concern as to how many CD's Alice sells. :-/

Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Yes I definitely want to help sales but also give my honest views on Alice's body of work. Hopefully all of Alice's albums will be added on that site. I can't get the album covers to load or I will do it myself. Alice's best albums are some of the greatest hard rock albums ever and I want as many people as possible to know that. However, if it is an album that I think is of a lesser quality than say Billion Dollar Babies, I try to rate the albums accordingly.