30th Anniversary 'The Strange Case Of Alice Cooper' on DVD ?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Must admit I wasn't that amazed by the Reading show. I remember thinking at the time that Alice didn't work as well in an outdoor enviroment, and also thought that the band was a little rusty after the gap between the end of the tour proper and this last show.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:36 pm

>From the reviews and photos i've seen it looked awesome.

It's the same show as perfomed on "The Nightmare Returns" DVD, if you have that.

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Oh, I must have missed that show............any video available on youtube or anything>>???
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:23 pm

Which show, DaveJay? The one this thread is about? Check out the first page of the thread. A lot of links to youtube were provided.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi NSP!!! Sorry for the confusion....I was leaving a message on The thread about "30 year anniversary of Strange case of Alice Cooper"...or so I thought....Where someone ( Forget the person, sorry) , Commented about Dancing Zippers.....
I was actually at the Reading show, in 1987,and it was excellent!! well, I liked it anyway....The Stranglers played a blinder too!!!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Oh, well...you had to keep reading! Hehe. He was making up the part about dancing zippers! So, nope! Not a bit of footage of it anywhere!
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:45 pm

DaveJay wrote:Hi NSP!!! Sorry for the confusion....I was leaving a message on The thread about "30 year anniversary of Strange case of Alice Cooper"...or so I thought....Where someone ( Forget the person, sorry) , Commented about Dancing Zippers.....
I was actually at the Reading show, in 1987,and it was excellent!! well, I liked it anyway....The Stranglers played a blinder too!!!
yeah, i loved that gig too. i also think that zodiac mindwarp was fantastic.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>From the reviews and photos i've seen it looked awesome.

It's the same show as perfomed on "The Nightmare Returns" DVD, if you have that.
oh right, for some reason i thought that the Reading performance was during the RYFAY tour, i must be imagining things in my old age! lol

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Si wrote:Must admit I wasn't that amazed by the Reading show. I remember thinking at the time that Alice didn't work as well in an outdoor enviroment, and also thought that the band was a little rusty after the gap between the end of the tour proper and this last show.
Reading was a crazy show, a bit strange seeing Alice in the open air even though it was dark and the atmosphere was still electric, even though a lot of those there were just there for a good booze up as happens at festivals.
I started off right at the front and must have got moved at least 20 feet by the swell of approx 90,000 people pushing.
Remember some guys with fire sticks as if it was some sort of black mass gathering!
Didn't Alice dump some fake blood over some Hell's Angels for being a nuisance or is that an apocryphal story, apparently it was captured on video though I've not seen the Reading bootleg vid?
It was sad being the last Nightmare Returns show especially as I had paid money to a company that was doing trips to see the German show that got cancelled, still at least I got my money back!

I remember being impressed by this band called Gypsy Queen and The Enid were pretty good too, I only went on the Sunday to see Alice.

I thought the Guildford outdoor show had a better vibe and The Darkness were really good too and Arthur Brown who I met on the train from Clapham Junction to the gig.What a nice guy he is, we talked about Alice, his guitarist is a fan of Alice.Shame Arthur couldn't do the flaming head visuals on 'Fire' but it only works in the dark!

Monsters Of Rock was a good line up, but I wish Alice had had the same sound quality that Deep Purple got and the use of the giant screens, Alice still stole the show though.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:45 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:You make it sound as if Madhouse Rock was a disaster!
If I do I'm sorry, but I don't think I made it sound that bad either. The show itself was pretty good I thought.
I do think people have overlooked the theatrics and the great band on that tour,
I don't think they are overlooked really, just a given probably.
Alice is the focal point granted, but some of the statements people have been coming out with like his performance sucked is totally over the top.
Subjective.
But that show and the material of that album are still classic Cooper, and if you or anyone else can't see that, then you are the ones missing out.
For the record, I never said anything like that. "From The Inside" as an album is a separate entity from the subject of Alice's performance of "Strange Case" of course and I judge them both on their own merits.
It isn't subjective to say The Strange Case sucks, just plain stoopid!

A few people may not rate it, but to say it sucks is not an opinion anyone can take seriously as it is not true.

People tend to think if they have an opinion it is always valid, not if they are making statements that are as dumb as "it sucks".

Also fans should never take for granted that great theatrics are as a given, I wonder how dissapointed they would be if the theatrics were'nt there?

When I saw Alice at the Marquee club gig in 89 it was really strange with no theatrics, still great as a legend like that in a small club created its own theatre and you could hardly get a guillotine on such a small stage.

The point being we are lucky that not only is Alice Cooper's music so good, the icing on the cake is the live show and even though I don't think the albums since the 1971-1975 period have been in the same league (apart from From The Inside) the live shows have been and the theatrics are part of the reason why, including the Madhouse Rock tour and The Strange Case Of Alice Cooper video which captures what that tour was all about.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:41 pm

> started off right at the front and must have got moved at least 20 feet by the swell of approx 90,000 people pushing.

The audience was nowhere near that big.

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:48 pm

When I saw Alice at the Marquee club gig in 89 it was really strange with no theatrics, still great as a legend like that in a small club created its own theatre and you could hardly get a guillotine on such a small stage.

The point being we are lucky that not only is Alice Cooper's music so good, the icing on the cake is the live show and even though I don't think the albums since the 1971-1975 period have been in the same league (apart from From The Inside) the live shows have been and the theatrics are part of the reason why, including the Madhouse Rock tour and The Strange Case Of Alice Cooper video which captures what that tour was all about.[/quote]

thepoint being. whilst you may not respect an individuals opinion, you can respect that someone has an opinion even if if you agree with it or not.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 pm

steven_crayn wrote:It isn't subjective to say The Strange Case sucks, just plain stoopid!
Then I guess that's what they feel!
A few people may not rate it, but to say it sucks is not an opinion anyone can take seriously as it is not true.
How can an opinion be "true?"
People tend to think if they have an opinion it is always valid, not if they are making statements that are as dumb as "it sucks".
Why not? An opinion is an opinion. No one's more true than the other. Down to the individual taste.
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 pm

>Why not? An opinion is an opinion. No one's more true than the other. Down to the individual taste.

To be fair to stephen_crayn, I also do find it rather odd that the first thing some people can find to comment on about this particular show is Alice's vocal performance. Of course, Alice's vocal wasn't great, but that's if you expect him to be singing like Ronnie James Dio, or someone like that. Who cares about technically perfect singing?! As I think stephen_crayn implies, it is strange that all the other things that make up an Alice Cooper show (stage - set, costumes, lighting, theatrics, props, musicians, songs and Alice's performance excluding his voice) are so easily ignored by some in this case and in doing so, are kind of missing the point. I think the post from Baz is the best one in this thread.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:58 am

I also do find it rather odd that the first thing some people can find to comment on about this particular show is Alice's vocal performance.
Of course. For some one who is listening or watching the show first time, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb, just as the weight issue will be (which I believe Alice even mentioned himself at the beginning or end of the show in the interview.) It's probably different for someone like you or me or anyone else whose heard these things for years and we've heard it so many times we just get used to it and adapt to it.
A_MichaelUK wrote:but that's if you expect him to be singing like Ronnie James Dio, or someone like that.
I don't think Alice's vocal was great expecting him to sound like Alice Cooper personally.

"I used to be sucha.. sweeeet thang ya. Gotta.... holda me."

Or

"Ahhhh I'm feelin... really bad," followed by something that sounds like "And my buns are feelin.. pretty mean?"

Sorry, even for Alice Cooper that's a little difficult to listen to personally. I just adapted to it is all.
Who cares about technically perfect singing?!
I don't think anyone was asking that.
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:43 am

>Of course. For some one who is listening or watching the show first time, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb,

Really?! Rather than the theatrics and the visual presentation?! Do you really think that the first thing people who migth have been new to the Alice Cooper experience in 1979 would comment on was his vocal ability?! Remember, some of us have little more experience of these things than you might.

> just as the weight issue will be (which I believe Alice even mentioned himself at the beginning or end of the show in the interview.)

I don’t deny any of that, but I don’t see how you can let that over shadow the show itself. Still, if someone’s singing ability is more important to you in this instance, (this is Alice Cooper from 1979, we're talking about, not Mariah Carey), then by all means, carry on in that way.

>It's probably different for someone like you or me or anyone else whose heard these things for years and we've heard it so many times we just get used to it and adapt to it.

Are you saying that no – one who is coming to this afresh cannot get past the vocal performance?

>I don't think Alice's vocal was great expecting him to sound like Alice Cooper personally.

I don’t understand what this means.

>Sorry, even for Alice Cooper that's a little difficult to listen to personally. I just adapted to it is all.

That’s awfully big of you. As GNDM might say, give yourself a round of applause. How dare Alice’s bad vocals spoil your appreciation of the whole show! Again, I refer you to what Baz wrote. If that’s not enough to make you forget the fact that Alice’s singing wasn’t to your taste, then I guess some of us are happier to ‘look at the bigger picture’ than some of you are.

>I don't think anyone was asking that.

Right. You know what I mean, though.

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 am

[quote="A_MichaelUK"]>Of course. For some one who is listening or watching the show first time, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb,

I don’t deny any of that, but I don’t see how you can let that over shadow the show itself. Still, if someone’s singing ability is more important to you in this instance, (this is Alice Cooper from 1979, we're talking about, not Mariah Carey), then by all means, carry on in that way.

hang on, if i go to see any band and the vocals are crap, then they will spoil the show. are you saying that because there is a theatrical show alice shouldn't worry about how he sounds?

there are people here who are not fussed on the stcoac, and imo he sounds awful and it does not help at all. why cant you just accept that.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 am

Really?! Rather than the theatrics and the visual presentation?!
Probably a mixed bag. You'd have to ask them if they do. I personally think the theatrics and song selection itself is much better than WTMN.
A_MichaelUK wrote:Do you really think that the first thing people who migth have been new to the Alice Cooper experience in 1979 would comment on was his vocal ability?!
I don't know, would they? I just know seeing from some of the comments here, YouTube and elsewhere people do notice it. Alice is the singer in the live shows, and if people don't think his singing ability is up to its usual, they are going to likely comment on it. Just as they are doing for Ozzy, or anyone else. Especially if they consider him the star of the show. If they let it overshadow the show or not, who knows. In this case, I don't like I used to when I first saw the video as I got used to it over time having seen it many times. But I can't ignore it either when it comes up.
I don’t deny any of that, but I don’t see how you can let that over shadow the show itself.
Some people do or maybe they don't. Personal taste in what people are looking for in a show or the singer or whatever probably.
Still, if someone’s singing ability is more important to you in this instance, (this is Alice Cooper from 1979, we're talking about, not Mariah Carey), then by all means, carry on in that way.
Cool.
Are you saying that no – one who is coming to this afresh cannot get past the vocal performance?
Never said that at all.
I don’t understand what this means
You had said it may not be great if we were expecting something like Ronnie James Dio. I just commented that for expecting something like Alice Cooper's vocals I personally didn't think it was that great.
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 pm

>hang on, if i go to see any band and the vocals are crap, then they will spoil the show.

But we’re not talking about “any band”. That’s the whole point. Alice Cooper is not “any band”. There are other elements available for your entertainment.

>are you saying that because there is a theatrical show alice shouldn't worry about how he sounds?

Your question is interesting because you are getting confused between now and 1979 when this concert was filmed. Alice admits that back then, he could rely on the theatrics to get the show across and not have to worry about the vocals as much as he might now. This isn’t Luciano Pavarotti that we’re talking about.

>there are people here who are not fussed on the stcoac,

That would be very strange as it was a return to form for Alice compared to his performances on the 1977 tour.

>and imo he sounds awful

I agree – that’s the whole point. The thread is about people being interested in a DVD of this show, yet some people seem to allow the bad vocals to put them off from the overall enjoyment of it.

>and it does not help at all.

I agree, but neither was it the hindrance that some people think it was.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:17 pm

> You'd have to ask them if they do.

No. You "ask" them – you wrote
>For some one who is listening or watching the show first time, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb

> I personally think the theatrics and song selection itself is much better than WTMN.

So why do the bad vocals bother you (and others) so much?

>I don't know, would they?

You tell me – you wrote:
>For some one who is listening or watching the show first time, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb

You seem awfully confident that is going to be the case. Otherwise, why dif you use the word “probably”?

>I just know seeing from some of the comments here, YouTube and elsewhere people do notice it.

I’m not disputing that, nor am I saying they shouldn’t , but to allow that to make you forget the other great things in the show (again, look at the post from Baz), doesn’t make any sense, but go ahead and continue on that path. That’s partly why I don’t get involved in posts based on taste and why I don’t generally care about other people’s opinions, whether they are the same as mine, or not.

>Alice is the singer in the live shows, and if people don't think his singing ability is up to its usual, they are going to likely comment on it.

There’s nothing wrong with people noting the vocals, but you know as well as I do that some of the posts in this thread give the very strong impression that the bad vocals spoil everything else in this show. Don’t pretend otherwise.

>If they let it overshadow the show or not, who knows.

Go back and read some of the earlier posts.

>Never said that at all.

Actually, you kind of did. You wrote:
> For some one who is listening or watching the show first time, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb

>You had said it may not be great if we were expecting something like Ronnie James Dio. I just commented that for expecting something like Alice Cooper's vocals I personally didn't think it was that great.

Thanks for the clarification, in which case, it doesn’t really change my position on the subject.