Promotional Ideas for Along Came A Spider

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Scandal2000

Promotional Ideas for Along Came A Spider

Post by Scandal2000 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:25 am

Since we know the new album is coming out in the next three or four months, it is time we started seriously thinking about ways to promote Alice's new album. I remember years ago when Brutal Planet came out. I remember working my tail off to promote that album and several people from another Alice forum doing the same. I haven't seen that kind of passion since then. With declining album sales for all bands, it seems to me if we could find a way to help Alice sell just 10,000 copies in the first week, it would lead to a high chart number and perhaps open a few eyes. New West was a horrible label for Alice. Spitfire started off fairly well but died a quick death. What are some ideas each of you have and I want to know how many of you are willing to work? Every year someone always writes it is "the record label's job." Technically that is true but the fact is none of Alice's labels have been doing their jobs and SPV has a limited presence in the United States. Now is the time for the true Alice fan to stand up and be counted. Are you one of them and if so let's hear some ideas.

noods
Dada God
Dada God

Post by noods » Sun May 04, 2008 1:05 am

Lets get this thing happening. I dont know about elsewhere but Alice gets next to no air-play here in Australia. I've already written to several radio stations here letting them know about the album coming out. When ACAS is released I'm going to get a few extra copies and give them to the local street press/music mags here in Adelaide and ask them to review the album. If they have a copy in their hands then there's no excuse not to give it a listen. Also if there are going to be ACAS T-shirts on the market I'd suggest wearing them.
What do we think of making posters for the album? Does anyone think it may appear to DIY (do it yourself) or unprofessional. What's lhe go legally? Are we allowed to make posters for the album or do record labels have issues with those sort of things?
People who post on You-Tube can put up some clips there as well. I'm thinking of other ideas, I want this to be one of Alice's biggest albums. Let's make it happen.
I'd like to get inside your head...and dance!

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Re: Promotional Ideas for Along Came A Spider

Post by damiennalice » Sun May 04, 2008 3:26 am

Scandal2000 wrote: Now is the time for the true Alice fan to stand up and be counted. Are you one of them and if so let's hear some ideas.
Youre not suggesting that if I choose not to help promote ACAS that I would be considered less of an Alice Cooper fan,are you??

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Promotional Ideas for Along Came A Spider

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 am

Scandal2000 wrote:Technically that is true but the fact is none of Alice's labels have been doing their jobs and SPV has a limited presence in the United States.
I'd love for some solid backing from the record company in relation to advertisement and promotion when albums are concerned, but Alice is getting 'himself' out there all year round. The character promotion is an on-going matter and Alice is in the media whether he has an album coming out or not. I like the fact that Alice gives us a little bit of that character whenever he makes an appearence somewhere... tides me over until the next album comes out.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sun May 04, 2008 8:08 am

Despite Alice's great track record, I'll just make sure that ACAS is good before I recommend it as good music.

Very good words shoesalesmen :) He seems to be constantly in a spotlight someway or other which is fine promotion ... even if it's not just for promotion sake

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun May 04, 2008 1:04 pm

It always amazes me how little the record labels turn to their fans to help promote new releases.

Perhaps someone should suggest to his label that they print up loads of flyers and send them to all the members of this board. I'd be more than happy to distribute them all over the town i live.

Master Shake
Killer
Killer

Post by Master Shake » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 am

considering SPV do have a small presence in the USA and Alice Cooper being a big name its a great opportunity for them to make a name for themselves so i would like to see some decent promotional material to say the least.
I could always at least put up a poster at local gigs or even get the guys at the front door to hand out flyers when they buy their tickets. At least thats targeting the right audience here.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Mon May 05, 2008 11:16 am

I have an Alice Cooper club in a hungarian site. This is a relative big site, with 38 000 people, and we have 80 members. There can I promote, and in an another site is a member with the name, Alice Cooper, and he has more than 2000 friends, and maybe he could send a message. And the YouTube promotion is also a good Idea :)
And the label (SPV) is strong in the media in Europe :) The last week was Alice in RTL and he spoke about the new album :)
And the Metal Magazines have forums in several pages. And we could write in this forums. Just a phrases and a pic from the front cover :)))
I have no other idea now :alice:
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 pm

If a real serial killer pops up using the same MO that would bring lots of free publicity for the album.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Mon May 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Word of mouth is the best and cheapest promotion. I wish I could link HD live video of his recent shows when posting to rock fans on other websites to give them a sample of how Coop rocks these days. The YouTube stuff doesn't do him justice.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:30 am

No, I am not saying you are not a true fan, but I do, with all due respect, think the most passionate fans do all they can to help promote a performer who needs it. I have always felt that way. If you disagree fine. We will agree to disagree.

FREEZIN
Trash
Trash

Post by FREEZIN » Sat May 10, 2008 9:20 am

I say we all start with the simplest form of promotion: word of mouth. For anyone who isn't familiar with Alice Cooper, introduce them to his older stuff, create some new fans then hype the new album. For internet promotion, site banners, pop-ups and promotional video clips on sites such as YouTube will work. Just push his name, his music and his new album onto anyone and everyone you possibly can! I've already started by promoting it as my personal message on MSN and Facebook! :alice:
theSICKESTthing

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 am

Master Shake wrote:considering SPV do have a small presence in the USA and Alice Cooper being a big name its a great opportunity for them to make a name for themselves so i would like to see some decent promotional material to say the least.
To be honest SPV already have made a name of themselves somewhat (I say "somewhat" as they aren't Epic or Sony.) They have Typo-Neg and Whitesnake on the list, both of which whose recent releases dwarf Alice's recent chart positions. I think Alice would be the one benefiting most from whatever they can do.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat May 10, 2008 10:04 am

FREEZIN wrote:I say we all start with the simplest form of promotion: word of mouth. For anyone who isn't familiar with Alice Cooper, introduce them to his older stuff, create some new fans then hype the new album. For internet promotion, site banners, pop-ups and promotional video clips on sites such as YouTube will work. Just push his name, his music and his new album onto anyone and everyone you possibly can! I've already started by promoting it as my personal message on MSN and Facebook! :alice:
I think it's cool to start hyping it. But personally I'll be doing alot more when album album tracks/album cover/release date are set in stone. If someone isn't really too interested, but go to find out info and there is none, well they may not be bothered by it again. It's all about trying to captivate them and give them everything possible the first time they hear it.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat May 10, 2008 10:19 am

noods wrote:Lets get this thing happening. I dont know about elsewhere but Alice gets next to no air-play here in Australia. I've already written to several radio stations here letting them know about the album coming out. When ACAS is released I'm going to get a few extra copies and give them to the local street press/music mags here in Adelaide and ask them to review the album.
I would do that as a last resort personally. Typically places like that can probably get promo copies. At least encourage them to contact SPV first and review them, if not, if you want to buy copies then by all mean!
What do we think of making posters for the album? Does anyone think it may appear to DIY (do it yourself) or unprofessional.
Unless you have access to proper printers (I don't mean home printers, I mean printing companies) then it will probably come off DIY.
What's lhe go legally? Are we allowed to make posters for the album or do record labels have issues with those sort of things?
I don't know the legality... you can probably contact SPV and ask for promotional materials or anything of a "Street Team" sort.
People who post on You-Tube can put up some clips there as well. I'm thinking of other ideas, I want this to be one of Alice's biggest albums. Let's make it happen.
The YT thing is a good idea in writing but of course you run into copyright issues. SPV may do that themselves. It looks like they are getting active into YouTube with their own channel. Of course personally I hope Nightmare Inc are on YouTube's ass in case someone decides to post up ALL of the new songs. Why buy the CD when you can just go to YT and listen to the whole darned thing?

Personally.. I recommend everyone first off join SPV's Official Myspace(S)s:

http://www.myspace.com/spvusa

http://www.myspace.com/spvmusic

AND at Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SPV-USA/15552104971

If you notice, the Myspace's are loaded with Banners and other widgets that you can probably added to your own website, social networking profile, etc.

Also sign up to SPV's Street Team mailing list:

http://www.spvmarketing.com/mailingList/mailingList.php

(They don't have Alice listed as a band yet, probably will soon.)

Check Alice Cooper's Official Myspace:

www.myspace.com/officialalicecooper

I'm assuming they will add songs from ACAS, there is an option to "Add" those songs to your profile as well. That's one way to get the word of mouth started.

There are a few other things that can happen to... mum's the word right now. But the hint of the century for now: Myspace
Me = Winning

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat May 10, 2008 3:40 pm

On a bright note,I have a new coworker this year who loves going to concerts and likes classic rock, etc. At the beginning of the year our new principal had us fill out a notecard with some general info about us--professional and "fun" personal, like..."your favorite artist." My whole table laughed, as it's well known. She goes "what am I missing?" We stated it was Alice, and her response was "Oh man, I've ALWAYS wanted to see him live!" So...I've mentioned the WI date to her, and apparently he's getting a bit of press somewhere--quite possibly our local NWAC affiliate, I know I've heard them mention it before, because just the other day she goes "hey! did you hear Alice has a new album coming out?" Granted she just found out, but it's well before release time, and I think she might end up buying it. So....hooray for our radio station! At least some of the people who are seriously/casually interested are hearing about it!

:alice: :clap:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm

If the coop says its ok ill re build an exact full size 9 foot cyclops , and befor the release date or on the date i walk around the streets of melbourne . Ill give out flyer etc , and put the footage up on youtube to prove i made the cyclops and did as i said i would .

One thing the coop has to agree to is meet me next time he tours Australia . before or after his gig and take a few pics with me in and out of the cyclops . If the coops management wanted Ill also glady walk around out the front in the cyclops suit before he plays his gig in melbourne , roll up to his media event or photoshoot , i would even walk around on stage from spot A to B if they ok'ed it .

This is not a joke my wife is a puppet maker and has agreed to build an exact replica cyclops for me . This won t be some sloppy job , it ll be as exact as can be made . Or i could get my wife to make a few black widow outfits , as there more in theme with ACAS . But i don t think they would have the impact of a huge cyclops .

If the coop and his record labe want publicity im offering the ultimate i can do for then , all at my own cost and time .

I have layed down the challenge and i will do this if the coop or his management agree

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Sat May 10, 2008 4:12 pm

nimsowner wrote:If a real serial killer pops up using the same MO that would bring lots of free publicity for the album.
I'm on it, even have the perfect patsy to frame too. :evil:

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

In the UK

Post by Seriously » Wed May 28, 2008 3:50 pm

In the Sunday Mail Prince, McCartney and others have been giving their latest works away free, why not consider doing the same to increase fan base. Just an idea.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: In the UK

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Seriously wrote:In the Sunday Mail Prince, McCartney and others have been giving their latest works away free, why not consider doing the same to increase fan base. Just an idea.
There's a loooooooong thread in this section that kinda covers that very idea.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...