The 'Secret' Next Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The 'Secret' Next Album

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:31 am

While I am a slightly bigger fan of solo Alice than the original band material, if the original band were part of a tour then they definitely would only do their own songs. But there also lies the problem. Alice does a lot of festival shows overseas etc. He has to do stuff like Poison, etc for those audiences and a group of 75 year olds don't really work for those audiences. There has to be that energy level because Alice is already competing with younger, heavier bands when he does that type of shows. I think a small section in the Alice show for a limited run of shows or no live shows at all is what is realistically to be expected whenever that album comes out.

That being said, Alice really didn't promote the Road album much the last leg of the recent tour. One would assume he will focus on adding a couple of songs from Road in 2024 (at least at the beginning of the tour), so you are probably looking at 2025 before any real promotion of the album that follows to begin.

As far as the only goes, I didn't personally care for the two songs on Paranormal. I just think you can't go home again (not trying to sound negative) and you definitely don't write the same way. Is there a shot at a good to really good rock n roll record? Absolutely. Is it going to sound much different than the recent solo albums? Highly doubtful. Are you going to get the darker lyrics you got on the original band albums? Probably not. It's a different era and good or bad, we should hold a new original band album to the same standard we have held recent Alice solo albums.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:27 am

I don't believe a whole tour with the original group is going to happen.
At most we get a new album with them (I hope).

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PFOLGORE » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:40 am

In an interview a few years back Michael Bruce repeatedly refers to Alice Cooper as a tribute band, because they do play so many of their original songs. I don’t get the feeling he bitter and appears to have gone to a few of Alice’s concerts, he seems secure in the knowledge that he basically was the one who gave Alice the foundation to succeed so when he says Alice is a tribute band he believes it.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:44 pm

PFOLGORE wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:40 am
In an interview a few years back Michael Bruce repeatedly refers to Alice Cooper as a tribute band, because they do play so many of their original songs. I don’t get the feeling he bitter and appears to have gone to a few of Alice’s concerts, he seems secure in the knowledge that he basically was the one who gave Alice the foundation to succeed so when he says Alice is a tribute band he believes it.
If MB provided the foundation then why has he not built his own solo career? The guy hasn't had a career since 1975.

I hope he talks himself out of this reunion too and "can't be located" for another 50 years.

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:29 pm

Yup, I was at the Glasgow show, and it was magical to see the original band come out for that mini set. I cant see much more than that in the future. I'm sure Dunaway and Smith could handle it. Not so sure about Bruce. His weight seems to fluctuate. As for the proposed album, give us a couple of epics. Ezrin still manages to achieve a great sound, but he even clipped Deep Purples's wings, and had all their songs under 4 minutes on the last album he did for them. I would just love it if everyone went wonky and weird again. Bring the strangeness back!

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:34 pm

Would love to see Rick Rubin do an EP with them, if that works then an album.

Alice sounds too polished solo and on the few group songs, things need changed up at the production end.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:39 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:29 pm
Yup, I was at the Glasgow show, and it was magical to see the original band come out for that mini set. I cant see much more than that in the future. I'm sure Dunaway and Smith could handle it. Not so sure about Bruce. His weight seems to fluctuate. As for the proposed album, give us a couple of epics. Ezrin still manages to achieve a great sound, but he even clipped Deep Purples's wings, and had all their songs under 4 minutes on the last album he did for them. I would just love it if everyone went wonky and weird again. Bring the strangeness back!
So eloquently put! I wish i could word it like that. I am so absorbed in my vision of Alice Cooper, that I have trouble voicing my opinion.

You. I like you.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:40 am

rgallie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:34 pm

Alice sounds too polished solo and on the few group songs, things need changed up at the production end.
I completly agree on this.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:50 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
With all involved quickly approaching 80 years of age. The only "strangeness" they might be feeling is the adjustment to wearing adult diapers.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:07 am

mestreech wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:40 am
rgallie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:34 pm

I completly agree on this.

Nice idea but I’m guessing financially impossible unless he effectively gave his time cheap or for free.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:14 am

forglasgowonly wrote:
I was there too. Loved the mini set but that’s all I wanted. We are already years on from then and everyone is slower. Just can’t see it working again except for a few set piece smaller sets and smaller venues.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:35 pm

As I said, I personally would love an OG EP/album produced by Rick Rubin....I could imagine it being his best release since BP and probably their best since B$B (i.e. better than MoL).

But how many people at a gig would even care? I know at the Glasgow one I tried to big up the occasion of seeing the original band in my lifetime and the woman I said it to looked at me like I was off the plot on another planet.

Casuals just see Alice Cooper...They could bill the gig "The original Alice Cooper group show", casuals will still see Alice Cooper and think the OGs are his original backing band rather than THE band....IMO

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 pm

rgallie wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:35 pm
As I said, I personally would love an OG EP/album produced by Rick Rubin....I could imagine it being his best release since BP and probably their best since B$B (i.e. better than MoL).

But how many people at a gig would even care? I know at the Glasgow one I tried to big up the occasion of seeing the original band in my lifetime and the woman I said it to looked at me like I was off the plot on another planet.

Casuals just see Alice Cooper...They could bill the gig "The original Alice Cooper group show", casuals will still see Alice Cooper and think the OGs are his original backing band rather than THE band....IMO
For the casual audience that has been the case since 1975.

Also, after the split most people have no idea that that was the original band playing on the original band albums.

I think part of the problem was that the rest of tge original guys just faded away after the breakup.

All of them were decent players and writers and had just come out of being in the biggest band on the planet at that time. Even after the folly of The Billion Dollar Babies any one of them could have landed a high profile gig with another established band. It would at the very least kept their names in the press.

The other problem was that Alice made the character larger than life and it took on a life of its own. Plus he worked hard and is still working ever since the split to keep it all going. Now he's a rock icon.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:52 pm

I think it could be great. I do not get the adoration for Rick Rubin, the last 10+ years he hasn't done anything of worth and arguably he hasn't done much before as most bands report that rick barely gets involved and his techs do all the actual work. Also Ricks obsession with overly compressed very loud mastering is horrendous and i dont want another death magnetic or 13

In terms of dream producers, i would love Andy Sneap to have a crack at an alice cooper album. I know he is more a "metal" producer but he has such a clarity and ability to bring out the best in his bands.

Personally i think bob ezrin is top tier and i think his albums sound great. They have a raw energy and power to it but never becomes jumbled or overpowering. Allot of the things people criticize bob for is not really an issue with him but an issue with Alice and how he writes and does albums.
W2MN is still one of the best things alice did in years. Paranormal again was great. Detroit stories sucked and Road is a mixed bag but none of the issues are production issues they are musical choices which are an Alice/bob issue.

Im a fan of alice solo but im excited to hear a "band" album definitely. I would love to hear another truly dark album with some epics like wind up toy, pick up the bones, I am Made of you or cleansed by fire.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:26 pm

I liked 13. It sounds like a classic Sabbath album but with a newer sound imo. It also pissed all over anything Ozzy had done for 22 years and anything he did after.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:56 pm

For me it is just a case of anything can wear thin after a while. Ezrin is a legend no doubt, but when you do several albums in a row with basically the same formula it becomes "just another album." As I have stated many times before I am actually a bigger Alice solo fan than the original band though they are great too. I always have liked the diversity in a lot of the Alice solo albums but the last few just have a sameness about them. They are good decent rock n roll albums but they could be anybody. The last one I loved was W2MN which I know many don't like but there was a creativity to that album and some different types of sounds. It worked for me.

In regards to Alice doing a dark album or an album filled with Epics, really W2MN was the last album with an Epic (I am Made of You). Since that time it was been short, basic rock n roll songs. If you listen to some of Ezrin's other productions like Deep Purple for example, you are getting shorter basic three minute songs. It is almost like everyone is shooting for radio airplay when there is no radio to be found. And it has been a long time since Alice did a really dark album. I suppose Along Came a Spider was sort of an attempt on that but it never got that particularly dark. That's just not what Alice wants to do anymore and the songs written by the original band recently haven't really done that either. It doesn't mean you can't put out a great album, but you don't write the same way at 75 as you do when you are 25.

charliemidnite
Trash
Trash

Post by charliemidnite » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:59 pm

I'm rapidly approaching 70. I bought my first AC record in '69.
and everything since then.
I would also like a record with longer and maybe somewhat darker songs.
The emphasis is on "would have"
I'm actually grateful for every new album that AC records that I can still listen to.
For me, the “problem” isn’t in the production either. To my ears the songs have become thinner.
The time for hymns is over. AC co-wrote and recorded it. And there were quite a few.
A period of three minutes is already too long for many of the younger generation.
The concentration is no longer there for numbers that last 6 to 8 minutes.
For me the last works are okay. But maybe I'm just too old now.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:34 pm

charliemidnite wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:59 pm
I'm actually grateful for every new album that AC records that I can still listen to.
For me, the “problem” isn’t in the production either. To my ears the songs have become thinner.
The time for hymns is over. AC co-wrote and recorded it. And there were quite a few.
A period of three minutes is already too long for many of the younger generation.
You are not too old. You are spot on with the younger generation. Songs are not short because they want radio hits, they are short because of clicks. Streaming is a blessing and a curse. It's too easy to skip a song without letting it grow on you. To that end, I think that Alice has rolled with it pretty well. His new songs/albums come out of the gate strong, but lose their impact within a few listens. If there is a new group album, it will certainly have it's champions as well as it's detractors. That's the other thing about the modern world. Too many keyboard warriors spouting off about stuff they would never say in person.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:49 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:34 pm
charliemidnite wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:59 pm
You are not too old. You are spot on with the younger generation. Songs are not short because they want radio hits, they are short because of clicks. Streaming is a blessing and a curse. It's too easy to skip a song without letting it grow on you. To that end, I think that Alice has rolled with it pretty well. His new songs/albums come out of the gate strong, but lose their impact within a few listens. If there is a new group album, it will certainly have it's champions as well as it's detractors. That's the other thing about the modern world. Too many keyboard warriors spouting off about stuff they would never say in person.
That's an excellent point, Dannorama. Clicks have definitely changed things a lot, not to mention the fact that with streaming you literally can easily skip a song as you referred to. With physical products, yes you can forward past certain songs but there have been plenty of times where if I was laying on my couch listening to an album I wouldn't bother to get up to skip a song. Sometimes you find one that over time you really start to like. Plus the younger generation doesn't digest full albums much. I have always thought you need to give any album you purchase 4 or 5 listens from start to finish before you dismiss it as a bad album.

And in terms of keyboard cowboys, I agree! I can honestly say I try not to post things I wouldn't say to a person. I like Social Media, I consider it a tool. The tool isn't the problem, it is the users that think they can attack anyone without ramifications. It can be music, sports, politics whatever, there is always someone that is going to come in strictly to cause trouble. With the upcoming band album, my take is simply this. I hope its a great album as I do with every Alice album. If I believe it to be, I will say I really liked it but if I don't, I am not going to give it a pass strictly because it is a band album, I will hold it to the same standard I do with any Alice album. For example, I don't personally care for Muscle of Love. I have never liked that album that much, others disagree. The same with Along Came a Spider on the solo side. Those two are my least favorite Alice albums.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:01 pm

Halo of Flies is a live staple now so hopefully we can get at least one more epic from the OGs