Alice's Band Mates: An Appreciation

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice's Band Mates: An Appreciation

Post by Dannorama » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:59 pm

You know what’s a fun game? Reading the comments without looking at the author, and trying to guess who wrote them. There’s a certain few who are pretty easy to guess.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:27 pm

:(
Dannorama wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:59 pm
You know what’s a fun game? Reading the comments without looking at the author, and trying to guess who wrote them. There’s a certain few who are pretty easy to guess.
Maybe you should join the carnival circuit and guess people's age and weight. If you are wrong you can give the customer a Nita Strauss T-shirt.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:47 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:27 pm
:(
Dannorama wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:59 pm
Maybe you should join the carnival circuit and guess people's age and weight. If you are wrong you can give the customer a Nita Strauss T-shirt.
But if you are right you can hand out a shirt that says- Haters gonna Hate !

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 pm

I'm pretty sure we all know and can agree that dick wagner was a absolute boss. His solo on pass the gun around is one of my all time fave solos.
But i would like to give love to a song of an album i definitely hate, and most people seem to dislike it. "king of the silver screen" - so first of all, its a guilty pleasure of a song, but second i think dicks solo on that absolutely rips. It is dirty, aggressive and not usually like dicks style. I absolutely love it.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:49 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 pm
I'm pretty sure we all know and can agree that dick wagner was a absolute boss. His solo on pass the gun around is one of my all time fave solos.
But i would like to give love to a song of an album i definitely hate, and most people seem to dislike it. "king of the silver screen" - so first of all, its a guilty pleasure of a song, but second i think dicks solo on that absolutely rips. It is dirty, aggressive and not usually like dicks style. I absolutely love it.
The only one that comes close to Dick Wagner is Steve Hunter. The best musicians Alice ever had in his band.

King Of The Silver Screen is one of my all time favorites namely because of Wagner's playing.

Listen to Enough's Enoughs too....just incredible.

No one else in today's Alice band can even come close to matching Wagner's skill and musicianship.

The problem is that most rock guitarists these days pigeonhole themselves into one style. There are not many versatile players who can switch genres and styles at the drop of a hat.

I think the Orianthi & Steve Hunter combo was an excellent choice...she is miles ahead of Nita when it comes to playing.

I only wish Dick Wagner was still with us.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:53 pm

Speaking of versatile players...artie funaro (devil 7/ Jonny dime) could play anything and I'm quite sure can play any instrument.

If only we could go back and have Artie and Kane as a duo back in 1986-1987.

I think Artie is on youtube so you can check out everything this guy can do.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:07 pm

Somewhere in the distance I can hear Cher singing............

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:12 am

Just focussing on appreciation of the touring bands for a moment I have only ever had two gripes since my first Alice gig in 82.

1. Kane - ignoring his musicianship, his physical presence jarred for me as he simply dwarfed Alice. I just couldn’t see how it could last and on the RYFAY tour I’d had enough. I didn’t see him on stage on his return but having watched dozens of videos it didn’t work for me then either. I would worry about another return but I could certainly see it as a possibility.
2. The revolving door policy on band members. Until the current band started emerging the members were mainly faceless to me and as a result nobody really made a lasting impression. I always felt some continuity would help the dynamic on stage and broaden interest.

On the “ change is coming” point now. Four of the current band are in their 50s now and three are past 55. They have been excellent over a way longer period than any previous members and have helped create a reputation of a really strong touring act. Change them for what? Younger guns wouldn’t work and would accentuate Alice’s age. Older folk would slow the stage dynamic completely and who the hell would come from a similar age that would be better? Don’t see the logic.

Nita is obviously significantly younger with potentially a completely different trajectory ahead of her. Makes no sense to think she would stay long term but shorter term, why not? She is strong and, along with the others, puts lots of energy on the stage. Of course change may come with Nita though, it’s stating the obvious.

Now to the Road album. Why would changes come because an album which wasn’t marketed as much as the previous one, sold possibly just a few thousand or even a few 100 less? Given how cheaply it was recorded it may even have worked out better commercially for all we know. While we don’t know the real numbers it makes no business sense at all.

That said, of course 2024 will or should see changes, but some may be temporary. the old guys album should be supported by a change in focus, who knows how long it will last but surely we should expect appearances and potentially some live music from them at some point, potentially with Roxie playing a role.

Finally, the Vampires. There is money and some longevity in this. While there may not be shows next year I’d expect some additional focus.

So yes, change will come but I’d disconnect it entirely from Road. Is Shep really that naive?

Prometheus77
Trash
Trash

Post by Prometheus77 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:55 am

del wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:12 am
Makes no sense to think she would stay long term but shorter term, why not?
Alice is almost 76. What long term are you talking about? ;) Other than that, I agree. As long as there are the Hollywood Vampires and it has been mentioned that there will be shows next year (I mean, they still kinda owe a string of US shows), there is always time for Nita to step off and do her own thing, while Alice is doing that. And there will come a time where Alice will not be touring 7 months a year. So even more time for her to do both.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:18 pm

I’m guessing a 3 to 5 year period would be longer term now but who knows. I currently can’t see her staying that long but certainly another year or so, particularly if the touring schedule isn’t big next year and precisely because of what you said.

Could I see her stay longer? Yes, particularly if she doesn’t make real commercial progress on her own.

Can I see her being booted out? No, based on anything I’ve read here or elsewhere, why would you? She seems to deliver all the time.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:55 pm

Nita brings so much to the show and has brought Alice publicity for quite a while. When you attend Alice's shows next to the Coop, she usually gets the second loudest round of applause.

I think what people lose perspective of is the hired gun. They work under a contract and depending on the artist some don't make a ton of money and basically work with a small salary, per diem, etc. Alice, I have heard pays better than many and that helps with continuity as well as the fact all of them are good friends who enjoy working with one another.

That being said, a hired gun is like a Free Agent in Sports, if they receive a better offer they have to at least consider it. In the case of the Demi Lovato situation, Nita never really left the band she went on hiatus. Lovato wanted to go in more of a rock direction and hire an all female backing band with the intention of taking a break after the recent tour. Nita spoke to Alice with his blessing and tried something different that was always going to be temporary. In all likelihood, she was paid more money (and let's fact it you and I would take it too) and an opportunity to do something different for a while.

We all need to remember that the true artist likes to create and when you have a chance to do something different and be successful, would you not at least consider it? And in terms of her solo career, her first album did fairly well on the charts for what that is worth, and now with her second album she has had a couple of modern singles that have done extremely well. She is the one member of Alice's band who has had some solo success. I love Ryan Roxie's last solo album and some of his other projects, I LOVE the Beasto Blanco albums that Chuck has done and I like forward to hearing more of Tommy's Crossbone Skully project but Alice is likely to be the biggest band the others are in and that is no disrespect to them. They are amazing people and amazing players but when you are in your mid 50's or older than finding lightning in a bottle becomes less likely because of the nature of the business. However, let's say the next Beasto Blanco album became a huge massive hit. Would Chuck probably focus on that band? Of course, he would because that would be his opportunity at doing HIS project, HIS way, and it being his material as opposed to someone else's vision.

As far as being a hired gun, to put it another way if Taylor Swift came calling wanting any member of Alice's band to play for her in front of stadium crowds of 60,000 people, you think any of them aren't taking it? We all would and I would wish them well. It comes down to opportunity.

And Del hit on something important. At this stage in Alice's career he needs to keep the band intact as well as he can. I know some people still live in the 70's but the bottom line is let's say the original band reunited for a full length tour. That means no Poison or Feed My Frankenstein which does matter to some fans especially the casual fan who has always seen Alice as a solo artist (know plenty of them) and you have a band of all 70 plus members. Even when the original guys played a few songs four or five years ago, while the songs sounded good enough, there was not as much energy outside of Dennis. It was an era in time but that era has passed.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:09 pm

del wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:12 am
Just focussing on appreciation of the touring bands for a moment I have only ever had two gripes since my first Alice gig in 82.

1. Kane - ignoring his musicianship, his physical presence jarred for me as he simply dwarfed Alice. I just couldn’t see how it could last and on the RYFAY tour I’d had enough. I didn’t see him on stage on his return but having watched dozens of videos it didn’t work for me then either. I would worry about another return but I could certainly see it as a possibility.
2. The revolving door policy on band members. Until the current band started emerging the members were mainly faceless to me and as a result nobody really made a lasting impression. I always felt some continuity would help the dynamic on stage and broaden interest.

On the “ change is coming” point now. Four of the current band are in their 50s now and three are past 55. They have been excellent over a way longer period than any previous members and have helped create a reputation of a really strong touring act. Change them for what? Younger guns wouldn’t work and would accentuate Alice’s age. Older folk would slow the stage dynamic completely and who the hell would come from a similar age that would be better? Don’t see the logic.

Nita is obviously significantly younger with potentially a completely different trajectory ahead of her. Makes no sense to think she would stay long term but shorter term, why not? She is strong and, along with the others, puts lots of energy on the stage. Of course change may come with Nita though, it’s stating the obvious.

Now to the Road album. Why would changes come because an album which wasn’t marketed as much as the previous one, sold possibly just a few thousand or even a few 100 less? Given how cheaply it was recorded it may even have worked out better commercially for all we know. While we don’t know the real numbers it makes no business sense at all.

That said, of course 2024 will or should see changes, but some may be temporary. the old guys album should be supported by a change in focus, who knows how long it will last but surely we should expect appearances and potentially some live music from them at some point, potentially with Roxie playing a role.

Finally, the Vampires. There is money and some longevity in this. While there may not be shows next year I’d expect some additional focus.

So yes, change will come but I’d disconnect it entirely from Road. Is Shep really that naive?
Kane was brought in to work with Alice for many reasons..one being his appearance.

When Kane was brought on the hair metal shtick of having a prominent lead guitarist was at its height. Alice upped the ante by having the "biggest" lead guitar player.

The rest of the band on that tour was for the most part unseen and all had their own space on the tiered stage.

A backing band, if doing their job correctly, remains "faceless". They are hired to support the star. They are not being paid to anything else but to play what they are told to play.

Alice from what I'm told is a great boss, but it is not an easy gig. I'm sure with Ezrin calling the shots now on the live shows it makes it even a much harder gig. Ezrin is known to demand musical minutia in the studio and I'm sure it's not much more different for the stage. The guy obsesses over single notes...which says a lot.

I think we're going to see Kane come back in the near future along with a few other changes. I can see it all coming to a close,at least the touring on a yearly basis, in about 3-4 years.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:00 pm

the next album, already in the works as I understand, will most likely be more of the Paranormal approach? Ezrin bringing in a cast of players, with perhaps only the odd appearence of the touring band, if at all?

as far as Paranormal vs Road in sales - I'm sure the numbers must be very close. Some nice chart entries on both, but hardly blockbuster releases, any of them.
If memory serves, didn't Paranormal / Road outperform W2MN in the charts, apart from in the US?

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:02 pm

I do think you will get Kane back based on some of his Facebook stuff . Perhaps on the one off date in December in Mexico as Nita will still be on tour with WVH. They must have offered Alice mucho Pesos. Hopefully by the end of the year or early January we will have a better picture of what next year looks like.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:04 pm

regarding Orianthi vs Nita; I'm a novice guitar player, so I'm not qualified to comment on who's the better player.
Wacken 2013 vs Paris 2017/Hefllfest 2022 show that both of them get the job done, to say the least, imo.

However, I will say that Nita is the perhaps THE best performer Alice has had in the band, regardless of era. She has a great stage presence, and a very magnetic persona.
The juxtaposition of her and Alice is a really good one, and it elevates the quality of the whole show imo.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:40 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:55 pm
Nita brings so much to the show and has brought Alice publicity for quite a while. When you attend Alice's shows next to the Coop, she usually gets the second loudest round of applause.

I think what people lose perspective of is the hired gun. They work under a contract and depending on the artist some don't make a ton of money and basically work with a small salary, per diem, etc. Alice, I have heard pays better than many and that helps with continuity as well as the fact all of them are good friends who enjoy working with one another.

That being said, a hired gun is like a Free Agent in Sports, if they receive a better offer they have to at least consider it. In the case of the Demi Lovato situation, Nita never really left the band she went on hiatus. Lovato wanted to go in more of a rock direction and hire an all female backing band with the intention of taking a break after the recent tour. Nita spoke to Alice with his blessing and tried something different that was always going to be temporary. In all likelihood, she was paid more money (and let's fact it you and I would take it too) and an opportunity to do something different for a while.

We all need to remember that the true artist likes to create and when you have a chance to do something different and be successful, would you not at least consider it? And in terms of her solo career, her first album did fairly well on the charts for what that is worth, and now with her second album she has had a couple of modern singles that have done extremely well. She is the one member of Alice's band who has had some solo success. I love Ryan Roxie's last solo album and some of his other projects, I LOVE the Beasto Blanco albums that Chuck has done and I like forward to hearing more of Tommy's Crossbone Skully project but Alice is likely to be the biggest band the others are in and that is no disrespect to them. They are amazing people and amazing players but when you are in your mid 50's or older than finding lightning in a bottle becomes less likely because of the nature of the business. However, let's say the next Beasto Blanco album became a huge massive hit. Would Chuck probably focus on that band? Of course, he would because that would be his opportunity at doing HIS project, HIS way, and it being his material as opposed to someone else's vision.

As far as being a hired gun, to put it another way if Taylor Swift came calling wanting any member of Alice's band to play for her in front of stadium crowds of 60,000 people, you think any of them aren't taking it? We all would and I would wish them well. It comes down to opportunity.

And Del hit on something important. At this stage in Alice's career he needs to keep the band intact as well as he can. I know some people still live in the 70's but the bottom line is let's say the original band reunited for a full length tour. That means no Poison or Feed My Frankenstein which does matter to some fans especially the casual fan who has always seen Alice as a solo artist (know plenty of them) and you have a band of all 70 plus members. Even when the original guys played a few songs four or five years ago, while the songs sounded good enough, there was not as much energy outside of Dennis. It was an era in time but that era has passed.
I’d be quite happy with no Poison or Frankenstein. Sure , the energy would drop, but after decades of live solo shows, I’d take a couple of small theatre shows with the OG’s with no theatrics, even with increased prices to make up for the smaller size venues. Great promotion for the upcoming album. Throw in a few old chestnuts and obviously the hits. Make an old fart happy that 😉

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:38 pm

I would love to see the originals but could they do a hour and a half show physically? Alice gets his break while the band jams as currently played. Not sure how you could get breaks for the band. Or perhaps a hybrid show with the current band and the originals as they have done previously but this time across the states. Not sure it would be financially feasible either. But I would definitely be thrilled to see it. Heck I was thrilled when Dennis showed up on stage in Cleveland a few years ago.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:48 pm

And when it comes to originals you guys in the UK were blessed with The Mott the Hoople shows. That would have been something also. I did get to see the Mott shows in the states with Morgan Fisher and Ariel Bender though . Still not the same. And now Overend and Buffen are gone and Ralphs had a stroke.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:18 pm

rodentdog wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:38 pm
I would love to see the originals but could they do a hour and a half show physically? Alice gets his break while the band jams as currently played. Not sure how you could get breaks for the band. Or perhaps a hybrid show with the current band and the originals as they have done previously but this time across the states. Not sure it would be financially feasible either.
It has been stated elsewhere in this Forum that it's not likely that the other 3 Members of the ACG could do a tour consisting of full shows but yes, a 'hybrid' show in the manner stated above has also been mentioned as potentially feasible. As for it's financial feasibility, hopefully it could/would be.

Ted