Re: Screaming Lord Sutch on Alice Cooper

Post by Babysquid » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:39 am

Well he was wrong about going on forever

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:11 am

More light hearted Hammer House of Horror than Alice ever was. He certainly had some of the ideas much earlier but never found any music to build it on. More popular as a failed politician than a failed musician.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:20 pm

I love Alice, but he needs to stop saying he was the first.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:50 pm

I think Lord Sutch was there with Jimi and Janis.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:55 pm

When I met my girlfriend 26 years ago, I was amazed she was a Screamin Lord Sutch fan...yet alone even knew who he was ( that explains why it's worked for 26 years).

She knew I was a huge Alice fan and almost immediately she let me know Alice stole his schtick which made me even more impressed.

She's a huge Jimmy Page and Jeff beck fan and still plays that Lird Sutch album all the time. It's a great album!

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:44 pm

Alice said in this interview with Arthur Brown that he had never heard of Lord Sutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8xSjIE ... cnZpZXc%3D

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:09 am

Why would he have? The world was a much larger place then, communications-wise. I would expect that he was virtually unknown in the U.S. in the '60s.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 am

SickThings wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:09 am
Why would he have? The world was a much larger place then, communications-wise. I would expect that he was virtually unknown in the U.S. in the '60s.
Because he looked like him.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:15 am

I'd never heard of him until just now. Knew Arthur and Jay, but not Lord Sutch. Gave Ripper a listen, never heard it before today and I was a kid who had the radio on constantly in the early 70s. It is interesting to read his thoughts on Alice, reminds me some of things Cooper said of those who came after him, with the makeup and shock, etc.

Everyone's got someone who inspired them, but it sounds like the ACG got there look more from the ladies around them, Miss Christine and the GTOs, and didn't Cindy have a hand in their clothes?

Still, an interesting read, and nice to learn something new.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:02 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 am
SickThings wrote:
That has to be the stupidest thing I've read here recently, which is really saying something.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:24 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:20 pm
Maybe "breakthrough" would be a better word. Lord Sutch was barely a blip on the radar, even at the height of his popularity. He largely relied on Hollywood films to do his legwork. The whole Alice thing evolved on a completely different level - entirely disconnected from Sutch. I'm sure that Sutch never heard of Alice, either. That is, until Piccadilly Circus.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 pm

Let's be honest for a moment. Lord Sutch was barely known in the UK music scene, let alone on an international level. Screaming Jay Hawkins and Arthur Brown.... for sure.... Alice and/or the band may have come across those before during their early days.

Sutch spent most of his life fronting a parody political party. His music never really transcended to mass appeal.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:07 pm

I might never have heard of Screaming Lord Sutch if I hadn't become a Deep Purple fan; former DP guitarist Ritchie Blackmore was affiliated w/Sutch in the 60's.

Ted

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:11 am

SickThings wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:02 pm
Rock10 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 am
SickThings wrote:
That has to be the stupidest thing I've read here recently, which is really saying something.
No, you're a dumbass for saying why would Alice know who he was. Maybe because his look was so similar along with his act.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:12 am

Dannorama wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:24 pm
Rock10 wrote:
Maybe "breakthrough" would be a better word. Lord Sutch was barely a blip on the radar, even at the height of his popularity. He largely relied on Hollywood films to do his legwork. The whole Alice thing evolved on a completely different level - entirely disconnected from Sutch. I'm sure that Sutch never heard of Alice, either. That is, until Piccadilly Circus.
How would you know? The Alice nutswingers don't like that I found this article.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:43 am

Sutch recorded his first album in 1969 in Hollywood. Jimmy Paige was heavily involved in the recording and Led Zeppelin were playing the Whiskey A Go Go with ACG and hanging with them sometimes as well at that time. The album cracked the US top 100 and must have got some visibility in the local scene.

It seems entirely possible that members of ACG heard of some mad Englishman who dressed up and used skulls on stage. The timeline works perfectly.

If not him, what about Screaming Jay Hawkins? We all take inspiration from something or someone before us. Hawkins to Sutch to Alice. Not at all impossible.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:47 am

Rock10 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:12 am
Dannorama wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:24 pm
Rock10 wrote:
How would you know? The Alice nutswingers don't like that I found this article.
You're giving yourself too much of a pat on the back about nothing. Nobody really cares.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:33 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 pm
Let's be honest for a moment. Lord Sutch was barely known in the UK music scene
I wasn’t there at the time but I have a collection of NME magazines from the 60’s and he was regularly featured. I gather that he and his band were a popular live act rather than a chart sensation.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:46 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:33 am
While Heaven Wept wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 pm
Let's be honest for a moment. Lord Sutch was barely known in the UK music scene
I wasn’t there at the time but I have a collection of NME magazines from the 60’s and he was regularly featured. I gather that he and his band were a popular live act rather than a chart sensation.
That kind of underlines my point. NME is a British publication, and likely didn’t have a large distribution in the USA. Provided that Sutch was regularly featured by them as a popular live act in the 60s, it’s easy to imagine that his act’s popularity was regional, and didn’t extend far beyond that in time or space. I’m not going to be the one to ask, but there IS a member of the STUK forums who could provide a definitive answer…
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.