Hypothetical Question-Would You Be Okay With Another Heavy Alice Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Hypothetical Question-Would You Be Okay With Another Heavy Alice Album

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:58 pm

I would very surprised if this were to ever occur again but one common theme I am seeing is whether you are more of a Solo Alice fan like I am than the original band (as great as they are) or vice versa, many fans have grown tired of the Ezrin garage band formula. Some of the material is good but you have a series of sterile, same sounding albums. One of the reasons I prefer much of Alice's solo career is the changing styles. A lot of it worked but even that that didn't, at least Alice was trying to do something different and there were some different sounds which made it enjoyable in my opinion.

If Alice was to decide to go back to a heavier sound such as Brutal Planet/Dragontown or Raise Your Fist and Yell, would you be okay with that? I would love to hear him do an album in the vein of the song he appeared on with Nita Strauss on her new album. Alice sounded great and that was a great track. Nita's entire album, The Call of the Void, is terrific.

Rod
Trash
Trash

Re: Hypothetical Question-Would You Be Okay With Another Heavy Alice Album

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:00 pm

I would be all for it because BP is one of my favourites, but if there is any real chance of an album with the OGs then I would definitely pick that over the heavy album..

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:10 pm

I'd be more than happy with a heavy album. Not one like Nita's though. I don't think that's a particularly good album. The solos and melodies are good but the songs fall flat.
Last edited by lordcatfish on Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:15 pm

I would love to hear another heavy album. Maybe one with an angrier attitude from Alice. Nita + Chcuk + Kane + Pissed off Alice = heavy metal gold.

I love Paranormal and half of Detroit Stories. I like a few tracks off of Road and W2MN. My biggest complaint isn't about the music on the albums, it's that the lyrics are frequently extremely lame and campy. Brutal Planet style music will still suck if Alice is singing about Disco Bloodbaths and Big Boots in a Kentucky-fried accent.

I never thought about Alice having a "garage" sound on his Ezrin albums. When I think of garage rock I think of bands like the Kingsmen or the Seeds. Ezrin's stuff is pretty much the opposite of that stripped down lo-fi stuff. I think "Identity Crises" is as close as Alice ever got to that sound.

Yeah, I think Nita's new album was really strong too. I love the instrumental tracks. I don't listen to a lot of modern rock stuff. A lot of it seems to have an "anthemic" feel to it with singers talking about how self-confident they are. Nita's "Victorious" is an example of what I'm talking about. I can't really get into that "I'm fierce and valid" type stuff, but the thing is that I think Alice could make the modern material work by adding some of his (formerly?) great lyrics.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:16 pm

Brutal Planet was my favorite non original group album. Dragon Town sounded like leftovers. I’m not big on giving names to the different styles of rock. Call it heavy metal, hard rock, glam or industrial. I prefer 2 guitars, bass and drums and a serious case of attitude. When Alice does that he is at his best imo. Doesn’t matter if it’s with the original group, Kane Roberts era or present band. The new album tracks I like best, and I like the whole album, are Dead don’t Dance, The Big Goodbye and Go away. Just my opinion.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:46 pm

i would be all over a "heavier" album for sure, Raise your fist & brutal planet are two of my all time fave alice albums
Dead don’t Dance, The Big Goodbye and Go away. Just my opinion.

Yes to that my man, Dead dont dance and the big goodbye are the best stuff on that album by miles - go away isnt top tier but when nita comes flying in at the solo, wow does she elevate it.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:49 pm

I would like to hear a new heavier album with a story behind it. I prefer more Alice's solo years because of the different styles. From the Inside, WTMN, Zipper, Dada, Raise, Trash, Brutal Planet, The last temptation...every album has it's own character, it's own sound. The ACG was great 50 years ago, but for me as a "younger" (37) fan it's only a beggining of a great carreer. He made 7 albums with them from 29.

I can't wait to hear some harder stuff. The new album is in the right direction but the lyrics are unfortunately silly. Who knows what comes next...everybody speaks about a new ACG album but in the german classic rock magazin was something about a new material with Desmond Child. Maybe we will know more in a couple of months.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:17 pm

Pitta wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:49 pm
I would like to hear a new heavier album with a story behind it. I prefer more Alice's solo years because of the different styles. From the Inside, WTMN, Zipper, Dada, Raise, Trash, Brutal Planet, The last temptation...every album has it's own character, it's own sound. The ACG was great 50 years ago, but for me as a "younger" (37) fan it's only a beggining of a great carreer. He made 7 albums with them from 29.

I can't wait to hear some harder stuff. The new album is in the right direction but the lyrics are unfortunately silly. Who knows what comes next...everybody speaks about a new ACG album but in the german classic rock magazin was something about a new material with Desmond Child. Maybe we will know more in a couple of months.
I am fairly certain the next album is going to be already recorded last year stuff with the Original Band. But I have heard the Desmond Child rumors as well. I would think Child is actually referring to his own project with maybe Alice doing a song or two on that album but I could be wrong. Just speaking personally, but I would have more interest in a Desmond Child album than the original band IF it is a forward thinking, more modern sounding album. I just don't think you can go home again regarding the original band and Glen has been gone for a number of years. You throw in age and the Glen factor and it just isn't going to be the same. And no one is going to write the same type of song lyrically in 2023 that they wrote in 1973, your view of the world changes. But by the same token, if Alice did a full album with Desmond Child if it sounded like the Trash album (and I like the Trash album), I would be disappointed in that as well because this is not 1989 anymore. I just feel like you have a better shot at something a little different with Desmond Child than the original band and Ezrin.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 pm

I'd be down for a new ACG album. I liked most of the new songs that featured contributions by the original band members. Heck, I wouldn't complain if it sounded like something that came from a time capsule from 1972. I like Chuck Berry and I like Metallica. I'm cool with Chuck sounding like Chuck.

That doesn't mean that I also wouldn't love to hear something heavy from Alice, too.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:04 pm

As someone who became a fan thanks to The Nightmare returns, I say of course would like that.
Have Kane plus Nita and throw Ezrin to the curb.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:25 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:17 pm
Pitta wrote:

I can't wait to hear some harder stuff. The new album is in the right direction but the lyrics are
I am fairly certain the next album is going to be already recorded last year stuff with the Original Band. But I have heard the Desmond Child rumors as well. I would think Child is actually referring to his own project with maybe Alice doing a song or two on that album but I could be wrong. Just speaking personally, but I would have more interest in a Desmond Child album than the original band IF it is a forward thinking, more modern sounding album. I just don't think you can go home again regarding the original band and Glen has been gone for a number of years. You throw in age and the Glen factor and it just isn't going to be the same. And no one is going to write the same type of song lyrically in 2023 that they wrote in 1973, your view of the world changes. But by the same token, if Alice did a full album with Desmond Child if it sounded like the Trash album (and I like the Trash album), I would be disappointed in that as well because this is not 1989 anymore. I just feel like you have a better shot at something a little different with Desmond Child than the original band and Ezrin.
Good arguments. Something forward thinking would be nice. Or a concept album. I like the sound of Andrew Watt actually. The new albums of Ozzy, Iggy and The Rolling Stones are classic for me. They sounds how an album should do it in 2023.

The latest songs with the ACG members in the last albums were only mediocre. I hate you and You and all of your friends were pretty bad, the rest was OK. The collaboration with Ezrin maybe should have this time a hiatus.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:12 am

Pitta wrote:

You don't have to say in every post that you prefer solo Alice. We get it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:15 am

cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:17 pm
Pitta wrote:

Why do the band haters always assume that DD MB and NS are stuck in 1973? None of Neal's albums sound anything like that and Bones From The Yard or Cold Cold Coffin does either.

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:34 am

To me, the best material from solo Alice in recent years involved Dennis (mainly) or MB/NS: Fireball, Sound of A, his appearance on Hallow's Grave, Social Debris, When Hell Comes Home. Some songs were less good than others (I don't particularly rate Drunk and in Love, say), true. But when looking at Bones from the Yard, the Blue Coupe albums, and their collaborations on the Alice albums, I think it's unfair to say a new album would be a failed attempt at recapturing 1973 without giving it a chance. They have moved on from those times, just like Alice has.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:40 am

i know Neal has moved on sonically (tho the album i brought was horrible so not sure if i should be positive about the style change or not) but Dennis and Michael are much more in line with 70s rock just done slightly more modern.
I am excited for a band "reunion" but like some previous posts i would be much more excited by Desmond Child Collab (
I Am Made Of You is still the best thing he has done since brutal planet) I prefer innovation and change - which is why i prefer Alice solo than the band era. To be honest i would like the current Alice group to have another crack at an album but with no "concept" constraints. go all in, and personally bring back the horror. if its heavy and dark, then all the better for it (from my point of view) but road is a real good foundation to build upon. A constrictor to a potential RYFAY.
Either way I am very excited for whatever comes from Alice, always have been , always will be.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:18 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:15 am
Why do the band haters always assume that DD MB and NS are stuck in 1973? None of Neal's albums sound anything like that and Bones From The Yard or Cold Cold Coffin does either.
If someone likes the last 50 years (and 22 albums) more than the first 5 years (7 albums), is this person a band hater?
I am an Alice Cooper fan. I love Alice, the character with his voice, twisted lyrics and stage shows. He had different era's in his career and the band was for me (and for a lot of other fans) only one of these era's. It doesn't mean that I'm a band hater.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:29 pm

I can't really think of anything that would be better than a heavy Alice Cooper album. Alice is probably the least heavy artist I listen to, so I'd take another RYFAY or Brutal Planet.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:45 pm

I'd prefer another DaDa.
Not boxed in by anything. Something totally original not a contrived " heavy" album or "metal" album etc

He and Ezrin should just put something together and use some top session musicians starting with Steve Hunter.

Or strip out classic character as he did in the early 80s and give us some fresh original songs free from the classic horror cliches.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:56 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:45 pm
I'd prefer another DaDa.
Not boxed in by anything. Something totally original not a contrived " heavy" album or "metal" album etc

He and Ezrin should just put something together and use some top session musicians starting with Steve Hunter.

Or strip out classic character as he did in the early 80s and give us some fresh original songs free from the classic horror cliches.
Plus one.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:32 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:45 pm
I'd prefer another DaDa.
There can only be one DaDa! But I hear what you’re saying. I’d totally welcome something of a more experimental nature.