Is Alice’s future outside the US and Canada?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Is Alice’s future outside the US and Canada?

Post by del » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:34 pm

I’ve been looking back on chart performance since ACG times. Yes, I know they aren’t reliable etc but they do measure to some degree and you can certainly get trends from them. Also had a look at the size of venues he plays and there seems to be a big difference between the US & Canada and Europe now. This applies to the Hollywood Vampires as well.

Apart from Schools Out and BDB the rest of the ACG catalogue never really cracked consistently outside the UK and Ireland in Europe. For them, you could easily argue that the solo career has been bigger, particularly since Trash.

Strangely, his chart performance in the 2000’s has been better than ever there e.g.In Germany BDB only made no9 and spent seven weeks in the chart back in 73 while DS went to no1 also with seven weeks in the chart a couple of years back.

Alice plays arenas and is a headliner at the big festivals outside the US and Canada while it’s theatres or arenas as part of a package tour when back home.

The Hollywood Vampires are the same as far as I can see. They chart better and play bigger venues as well.

There are lots of variables I know I but is the future outside the US and Canada?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Is Alice’s future outside the US and Canada?

Post by Dannorama » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:11 pm

That's a darn fine question. I've always thought that most audiences outside of the USA were more dedicated than us Americans. How wrong am I to chalk up some of that to population concentration? The USA is way bigger and more spread out. Sure... we turn out, yell, clap, and holler, but man! Crowd numbers and noise are way bigger over there. Plus, the musical tastes seem more polarized. A lot of Americans have lousy taste in music.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 pm

It's not like there is much future left. At some point the lure of the golf course and the grand kids will beat the lure of the road. I seriously doubt he would scale down the US in favor of Europe. Back catalogue and future sales aren't of that much importance these days. Travelling in the US just due to the size is exhausting enough but focusing more on Europe I just don't see it. It's not like he has, AFAIK, multiple homes in Europe like Depp. I'm guessing eventually it will be more festivals and Vampire stuff

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:32 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 pm
It's not like there is much future left. At some point the lure of the golf course and the grand kids will beat the lure of the road. I seriously doubt he would scale down the US in favor of Europe. Back catalogue and future sales aren't of that much importance these days. Travelling in the US just due to the size is exhausting enough but focusing more on Europe I just don't see it. It's not like he has, AFAIK, multiple homes in Europe like Depp. I'm guessing eventually it will be more festivals and Vampire stuff
He off all his rights and royalties a while back so you're right....the back catalogue makes him zero money. Also Alice is very aware of his place in the world and industry and I'm sure is not deluded into thinking he's going to sell a ton of records and have a major comeback at 75.

He's on cruise control.... enjoying his final act.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:34 pm

Maybe Johnny Depp will get him a part in the next Pirates movie.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 am

I think that question applies to just about all hard rock bands these days. Seems Europe supports those bands more.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:05 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:32 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 pm
He off all his rights and royalties a while back so you're right....the back catalogue makes him zero money. Also Alice is very aware of his place in the world and industry and I'm sure is not deluded into thinking he's going to sell a ton of records and have a major comeback at 75.

He's on cruise control.... enjoying his final act.
I think you’re wrong there about the rights to the music. https://primarywave.com/primary-wave-mu ... 0More%20Mr. The deal in 2018 was to promote the catalogue and they didn’t take the rights themselves. This was not the same as the straight selling of rights that other acts have been doing.

The words here are very much about marketing, not owning so there is something different going on here which is about selling Alice and the product, not Alice cashing in on it - yet. That means he is still earning from it even if less than before. It’s not a fortune but if Spotify streaming is paying $50k plus a month and growing then there is some building still going on rather than coasting.

It’s just a thought but when he comes to scaling back does he go where the bigger crowds are? I think Vampires and festivals plus some bigger European venues is a good shout.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:06 am

revinkevin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 am
I think that question applies to just about all hard rock bands these days. Seems Europe supports those bands more.
That seems very much to be the case.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:17 pm

del wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:34 pm
I’ve been looking back on chart performance since ACG times. Yes, I know they aren’t reliable etc but they do measure to some degree and you can certainly get trends from them. Also had a look at the size of venues he plays and there seems to be a big difference between the US & Canada and Europe now. This applies to the Hollywood Vampires as well.

Apart from Schools Out and BDB the rest of the ACG catalogue never really cracked consistently outside the UK and Ireland in Europe. For them, you could easily argue that the solo career has been bigger, particularly since Trash.

Strangely, his chart performance in the 2000’s has been better than ever there e.g.In Germany BDB only made no9 and spent seven weeks in the chart back in 73 while DS went to no1 also with seven weeks in the chart a couple of years back.

Alice plays arenas and is a headliner at the big festivals outside the US and Canada while it’s theatres or arenas as part of a package tour when back home.

The Hollywood Vampires are the same as far as I can see. They chart better and play bigger venues as well.

There are lots of variables I know I but is the future outside the US and Canada?

It's a very interesting thing. I came from eastern Europe and I'm 37 years old and actually I'm living in Germany. In eastern Europe you couldn't hear much music from the western countries before 1990 that's whythe ACG wasn't a big hit in that area. The first time I heard from AC was 1989 and I'm a fan since the end of the 90's. I knew that he had a band in the 70's but for me Alice was always a solo artist. I like the first albums. I love Love it to death, BDB and the others but I don't have this nostalgic feeling for the ACG. For me are Killer or School's out only just albums like the other 27. I like Zipper catches skin the same way how I like the ACG albums.
It can be totally different in the US and in the UK but if I heard that he makes an album with his touring band I was more excited about it, than about a new ACG album. If I read the topics here, I think that most of the fans in the US loves the ACG and maybe 2 or 3 from the solo albums and they dislikes everything after 1978 (except The Last Temptation and maybe Brutal Planet).
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:31 pm

Pitta wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:17 pm
del wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:34 pm

It's a very interesting thing. I came from eastern Europe and I'm 37 years old and actually I'm living in Germany. In eastern Europe you couldn't hear much music from the western countries before 1990 that's whythe ACG wasn't a big hit in that area. The first time I heard from AC was 1989 and I'm a fan since the end of the 90's. I knew that he had a band in the 70's but for me Alice was always a solo artist. I like the first albums. I love Love it to death, BDB and the others but I don't have this nostalgic feeling for the ACG. For me are Killer or School's out only just albums like the other 27. I like Zipper catches skin the same way how I like the ACG albums.
It can be totally different in the US and in the UK but if I heard that he makes an album with his touring band I was more excited about it, than about a new ACG album. If I read the topics here, I think that most of the fans in the US loves the ACG and maybe 2 or 3 from the solo albums and they dislikes everything after 1978 (except The Last Temptation and maybe Brutal Planet).
I actually prefer solo Alice as well though I love the original group as well but love almost every Alice solo album.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:58 pm

[/quote]

I actually prefer solo Alice as well though I love the original group as well but love almost every Alice solo album.
[/quote]

Same here. I love everything between 1975 and 2005 (except Lace and whiskey). Since 2005 I'm not as satisfied as before. I think Ezrins influence is too big.
The ACG was cool but the solo Alice is more twisted.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?