Road in the charts

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Road in the charts

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:48 pm

Well since the Freaks show is an Abridged show, I would imagine if we get Road songs it's going to be next month with the solo Coop show I could see them bringing in I'm Alice for sure...but if it's going to happen it's next month
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:48 pm

I don't follow the live shows but isn't he playing a shorter set than usual? If so why would he not stick to the hits? I've read many times over the years he that " he has to play the hits ". Why would he change what he is doing because of Road? It's not like if he played I'm Alice and Big Boots there would be a mass exodus to buy the album.

The chart position obsession seems a bit foolish as I think at the end of the day the figures will even out as people who ordered product that came late still bought the product. It's just that it didn't influence the charts.

Does anyone know how well The Hollywood Vampires live record is doing in comparison? Maybe next time stagger the releases if charting is important. Vampires, Road, Deluxe Killer and School's Out plus concert tickets add up.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:14 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:48 pm
I've read many times over the years he that " he has to play the hits ". Why would he change what he is doing because of Road?
Not to be too flippant, but the answer is "Because he just released a new album." Yeah, he needs to play his hits, but not playing a single track off of an album you've been working on for months is musical/business malpractice. I think I would be a little ticked off if I was his record company. I might be a little annoyed if I was in the band and had contributed to the album, too.

This is from Setlist.com. Aug 29th Freaks on Parade show:

Lock Me Up (First verse and chorus)
No More Mr. Nice Guy
I'm Eighteen
Under My Wheels
Billion Dollar Babies
Hey Stoopid
Lost in America
Snakebite
Feed My Frankenstein
Poison
Vincent Price Intro Guitar Solo (Nita Strauss)
Black Widow Jam (Band Only)
Ballad of Dwight Fry
Killer (Band only; Cheryl Cooper cuts… more )
I Love the Dead (Band Only)
Elected
School's Out

A 60 to 65 minute setlist is b.s. to begin with. I find it hard to believe that an extra 4 minutes couldn't be tacked on for a new song.

I don't think Hey Stoopid, Lost in America, or Snakebite are "classics" though personally I'd much rather hear them than some of the live staples that we see here. Take out Hey Stoopid (Snakebite is better live and they are both on the same album) and you have room for one of the stronger cuts from Road.

"I'm Alice" is not a good song, but it would likely sound better live and would, imo, make a better opening song than a snippet of Freedom followed by a (played to freakin' death) No More Mr. Nice Guy.

You are sharing a stage with Rob Zombie and Ministry - do you think you are going to win many of their fans over with songs like No More Mr. Nice Guy and Elected? He should have hit them with stuff off of Brutal Planet, Dragontown, and RYFaY.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:49 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:14 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
I've read many times over the years he that " he has to play the hits ". Why would he change what he is doing because of Road?
Not to be too flippant, but the answer is "Because he just released a new album." Yeah, he needs to play his hits, but not playing a single track off of an album you've been working on for months is musical/business malpractice. I think I would be a little ticked off if I was his record company. I might be a little annoyed if I was in the band and had contributed to the album, too.

No More Mr. Nice Guy
I'm Eighteen
Under My Wheels
Billion Dollar Babies
Hey Stoopid
Lost in America
Snakebite
Feed My Frankenstein
Poison
Ballad of Dwight Fry
Elected
School's Out

A 60 to 65 minute setlist is b.s. to begin with. I find it hard to believe that an extra 4 minutes couldn't be tacked on for a new song.

I don't think Hey Stoopid, Lost in America, or Snakebite are "classics" though personally I'd much rather hear them than some of the live staples that we see here. Take out Hey Stoopid (Snakebite is better live and they are both on the same album) and you have room for one of the stronger cuts from Road.

"I'm Alice" is not a good song, but it would likely sound better live and would, imo, make a better opening song than a snippet of Freedom followed by a (played to freakin' death) No More Mr. Nice Guy.

You are sharing a stage with Rob Zombie and Ministry - do you think you are going to win many of their fans over with songs like No More Mr. Nice Guy and Elected? He should have hit them with stuff off of Brutal Planet, Dragontown, and RYFaY.
I think you meant Lock Me Up instead of Freedom but yes as someone who genuinely loves Road (ALL of it), it would be nice to hear a song or two but some folks (pun intended) have already said that the plan is to bring in a song or two in his solo show in October but even that could change....I am sure Alice is proud of Road but that has been par the course for years now...

Brutal Planet tour -7 songs to promote the album on tour
Dragontown--5 songs
Eyes of AC--7 songs
Dirty Diamonds--3 songs
Along Came A Spider--2 songs
W2MN--3 songs (4 if you count Under the Bed with the instrumental section used in the Raise the Dead bit merged with Dada)
Parnormal--2 songs
Detroit Stories--4 songs
Road--???? TBA
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:47 pm

I think for thus tour he should play the Lace & Whiskey album in its entirety.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:07 am

is the current tour a co-headline, or as a support?

a 60-65 min slot is definitely not worthy of a co-headlining bill....

once he gets his own tour going, perhaps the set will expand and add new songs from Road? Given how he (rightfully) points out that there are several natural set-opening songs on the album, and the fact that it's the band playing on an organic sounding record, I'd be very disappointed if it doesn't happen

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:36 am

Welcome to the show would be a good opener, better than lock me up..

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:57 pm

Rod wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:36 am
Welcome to the show would be a good opener, better than lock me up..
I definitely respect your opinion but have to disagree. Lock Me Up is a great opener. The bigger issue is he is only doing about a snippet of it. Welcome To The Show would be fine for the second song but I love that he is opening with Lock Me Up.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:21 pm

My bet is the same old hits until he retires. Since the album flopped my bet it will get passed over.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:41 pm

Flopped? By what measure? Having said the charts are meaningless what are you using to measure success or failure? Surely not the charts?

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:02 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:47 pm
And bring back the Tommy Gun toting Dancing Chickens?? :bam:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:32 pm

:(
del wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:41 pm
Flopped? By what measure? Having said the charts are meaningless what are you using to measure success or failure? Surely not the charts?
Okay it's a smash worldwide hit. Out selling Taylor Swift and Slim Whitman combined.

And guess what...he's still going to play the same tired hits.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:46 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:02 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Dress them up as women to jump on the current trans trend

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:47 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Better yet have them identify as turkeys

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:05 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:47 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Better yet have them identify as turkeys
Now that made me laugh.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:45 am

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:14 pm
pitkin88 wrote:

No More Mr. Nice Guy
I'm Eighteen
Under My Wheels
Billion Dollar Babies
Hey Stoopid
Lost in America
Snakebite
Feed My Frankenstein
Poison
Ballad of Dwight Fry
Elected
School's Out

I’ve said before that I have a feeling that Alice views the albums as promotional material for his tours rather than the other way around but not including even one new song from a new album that was recorded (live in the studio!) with his touring band seems crazy. It’s not like they’d be under rehearsed.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:21 am

It’s been the case for several albums that the tours don’t seem to align with the album releases. He is often mid tour when the album comes out and it’s ony the next tour that picks up new album tracks. Adding songs mid tour seems to be a no-go.

Maybe there is a view that new albums need time to be out there before tracks are added to the setlist. Maybe prevents a big dip in the audience response?

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:40 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:32 pm
:(
del wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:41 pm
Okay it's a smash worldwide hit. Out selling Taylor Swift and Slim Whitman combined.

And guess what...he's still going to play the same tired hits.
Not sure what the point of that was. He’s never had a worldwide number one for weeks smash hit that became a multi million seller. Even the band never had that.

What he has had is a 50+ year career ultimately underpinned by two tracks (School’s Out and Poison) which have indeed out-streamed everything else put together. His longevity and ultimately his legacy has been underpinned by at least five waves of success:

1. ACG
2. WTMN and the ballad hits
3. Poison to Wayne’s World
4. Hitting the threshold of being seen as a classic legendary artist (particularly in Europe) and most recently...
5. The Vampires, which actually has potential to grow.

These waves have been supported by a couple of themes:

1) Touring
2) New music

Touring has been fundamental to longevity and the continued delivery of new music (whether people like an album or not) absolutely demonstrates the desire and energy to keep on keeping on.

There isn’t much tired about changing up stage sets, releasing new music, doing the rounds to promote, touring two bands etc. You may not like it but the album charted well in most places, probably lost 1-2 thousand early sales in the US and Canada which may come back later, and the “same old tired hits” are still there because of the audience response which I see every time I’m there.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:57 am

Not sure what the point of that was. He’s never had a worldwide number one for weeks smash hit that became a multi million seller. Even the band never had that.

What he has had is a 50+ year career ultimately underpinned by two tracks (School’s Out and Poison) which have indeed out-streamed everything else put together. His longevity and ultimately his legacy has been underpinned by at least five waves of success:

1. ACG
2. WTMN and the ballad hits
3. Poison to Wayne’s World
4. Hitting the threshold of being seen as a classic legendary artist (particularly in Europe) and most recently...
5. The Vampires, which actually has potential to grow.

These waves have been supported by a couple of themes:

1) Touring
2) New music

Touring has been fundamental to longevity and the continued delivery of new music (whether people like an album or not) absolutely demonstrates the desire and energy to keep on keeping on.

There isn’t much tired about changing up stage sets, releasing new music, doing the rounds to promote, touring two bands etc. You may not like it but the album charted well in most places, probably lost 1-2 thousand early sales in the US and Canada which may come back later, and the “same old tired hits” are still there because of the audience response which I see every time I’m there.
Absolutely spot on.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:21 pm

I’d much rather see a fresher set with newer material mixed in. He and the original group always said music comes first and then they can take it to another level on the stage. I guess that might not be the case as much lately. His live shows now are pretty predictable. Something I thought Alice Cooper would never become. The saving grace with his shows is he always has a stellar band behind him. Real hard rock musicians who play it like they mean it. Which has kept him from becoming a run of the mill nostalgic act with a residency contract at some Vegas or Reno hotel lounge.