"Road" - Reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

"Road" - Reviews

Post by Si » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:39 pm

New thread for reviews, both by us and in the media, of the new Alice Cooper album "Road" once people have actually heard the full album.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by Si » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:47 pm

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:10 pm

Though I have it ordered and it should be here soon. I couldn't wait any longer and well I found it and downloaded and burned to CD. I am now listening to it on a proper stereo. This thing rocks and some great playing and shredding. Those 30 sec clips as well as seeing the lyrics before hearing the songs did the album no justice. A much welcome return of Alice after the dreadful Detroit Stories and Vampires and all the covers.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:18 pm

steven15322 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:10 pm

I am now listening to it on a proper stereo. This thing rocks and some great playing and shredding. Those 30 sec clips as well as seeing the lyrics before hearing the songs did the album no justice.
Good to hear. There is such a big difference in listening on Youtube vs cd quality audio. Honestly, my expectations for the album are really low at the moment.

steven15322 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:10 pm
A much welcome return of Alice after the dreadful Detroit Stories and Vampires and all the covers.
I think DS is a pretty solid album. I think half the album is really good, and the other half not so much. I don't enjoy the Vampires stuff at all, which is surprising because I generally like Alice's covers when he's with his band.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:35 pm

I rarely bother with reviews like the ones above as they are invariably 9/10 and this is amazing etc etc. That stupid metal rag Kerrang was the worst in that regard.

I'll listen objectively as always though I'm completely turned off by shredding and metal.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:29 pm

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:45 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:35 pm
I rarely bother with reviews like the ones above as they are invariably 9/10 and this is amazing etc etc. That stupid metal rag Kerrang was the worst in that regard.

I'll listen objectively as always though I'm completely turned off by shredding and metal.

Not saying the whole album is shredding only a song or two. The album is pretty much solid rock and the production is very tight and sounds great turned up loud. I would say parts of it reminds me "Eyes"

I do like the cover of Road Rats here. Much more than that cover of Detroit City. I like it sonically and honestly in my opinion the Lace And Whiskey album re-recorded as Road Rats has been here would be a improvement over the original, though I am generally not a fan of bands re-recording their albums.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:50 pm

I've listened to it. I don't care for it very much. I'm sure some folks here will love it, but it's a big disappointment for me. The biggest issue for me is the lyrics. They are the weakest of any Alice album, imo. The quality ranges from generic to pure cringe. There's none of the classic wit and sardonic humor. I don't mean that they aren't trying to be funny, it's just that it all falls flat.

Musically, it isn't terrible. The band is good and the recording is top notch. It's just really hard to judge some of these songs because the lyrics are so damn corny.

On an earlier page I gave my opinion of the short snippets that had been released. My initial impressions were accurate for the most part so I won't rehash all that. 100 More Miles didn't turn out to be as good as I hoped. Magic Bus was better than I predicted but there is a drum solo near the end and, well, it's a drum solo.

Favorite tracks:

White Line Frankenstein
The Big Goodbye
Dead Don't Dance

I think all three songs are musically entertaining enough to overcome so-so lyrics.

Could have been decent with better lyrics:

Welcome to the Show
Go Away
All Over the World (might need to ditch those horns too)

Least favorite tracks:

Big Boots is, without a doubt, the worst song Alice has ever done. Rules of the Road stinks too, but nowhere near as bad as Big Boots.

So, yeah, I don't think it's a very good album. But, at the very least, it does add three new songs that I can add into my mix of Cooper tunes. I'm still going to buy it to support the band and for the bonus dvd.

Edited to add: this is just my initial impression. Alice's albums have a way of growing on me so my opinion may be totally different a month from now.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:26 am

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:35 am

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:50 pm

Least favorite tracks:

Big Boots is, without a doubt, the worst song Alice has ever done. Rules of the Road stinks too, but nowhere near as bad as Big Boots.

I don't know I think there is very stiff competition with Ubangi Stomp and Thrill My gorilla :rotfl:

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:46 pm

For some reason 100 more miles feels like it could have been on Lace & Whiskey

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:14 pm

Rod wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:46 pm
For some reason 100 more miles feels like it could have been on Lace & Whiskey
It reminded me of "I Never Wrote Those Songs."

"Dead Don't Dance" reminds me of Metallica's "2 x4" a bit.

Magic Bus is growing on me.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:20 pm

My CD copy turned up today (thanks Amazon) and I've put my thoughts down on my website here:

https://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk/ ... /road-era/

I'm no music expert though, so please be kind!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:24 pm

Nice review wind_up_toy. I agree with a lot of what you say.

One thing: I have to admit to actually liking "The Song That Didn’t Rhyme." The punchline saves it for me.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:10 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:20 pm
My CD copy turned up today (thanks Amazon) and I've put my thoughts down on my website here:

https://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk/ ... /road-era/

I'm no music expert though, so please be kind!
Thanks for the review - not had the pleasure of having the CD appear early but having listened to the snippets and reading a couple of other reviews it goes with my initial feeling that Dead Don't Dance could be the strongest track on the album. Finish work at 02.30 so will post my thoughts on the album when I get home.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:42 pm

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:33 am

First impression?

There are some ok tracks, and it sounds better on a good sound system, but for me it really doesn't get into gear until the final 2 (original) songs. I liked those, they were honest, had a world weariness that suits his weakening voice, and lyrically, got away from the daft comedy (which really fails on this record. Speaking of which...)

Hated? "Go Away" and "Big Boots", musically and lyrically they made me cringe with embarrassment.

I was going to joke and say I'd rather have listened to Easy Action, but honestly, is there anything here as fantastic as Beautiful Flyaway or Return of the Spiders? I don't think so, I didn't hear anything that special.

And it doesn't really put the band on display, or show what makes them stand out from other players? We do get a drum solo, but, 'eh.

Again, that's MHO, and my first impression. I'm not hearing what those critics are hearing right now, but maybe it'll be one that grows on me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:54 am

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:02 am

Si wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:54 am
Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... ooper.html
Interesting review, which focuses on the positive points and neglects the negatives. I agree with the 3 out of 5 score though.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:05 am

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:24 pm
Nice review wind_up_toy. I agree with a lot of what you say.

One thing: I have to admit to actually liking "The Song That Didn’t Rhyme." The punchline saves it for me.
Thanks! I’m sure lots of people like that song, it just isn’t for me. And there lies the dilemma for Alice, such a wide and diverse fan base that’s impossible to fully please!