Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Prometheus77
Trash
Trash

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by Prometheus77 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:29 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:52 pm
As to why she hasn't left maybe she enjoys playing with Alice and the band? And it's not like she does nothing else, she always busy doing something. I'm sure at some point she will leave AC. But at the time she thinks is the right one
At this point though, why would she leave?? I think Alice touring days are numbered. We're extremely lucky if there will be another 10 years of touring. More realisticly will be, give or take, 5 years. Why wouldn't she just ride that out, instead of alienating another chunk of potential fans by leaving Alice in his "waning", for lack of better word, years? As long as there are windows where she can do her own stuff, it doesn't really make sense for her to leave.

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 pm
I have a good feeling this is the final touring band we'll ever see as at this point there is no use changing it. At Alice approaching 76 years of age what's the point. You may see a member come and go but the core will be there until the end. I just hope Kane gets one more shot.
Agreed.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:42 pm

Si wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:16 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:39 pm
That's a Bingo!
To the quoted point, No, that was (and is) not a question. I've started a "I hate Nita" thread so we can get this one back on track. I won't be mad if the other thread goes away. I'm just sick of the vocal opinions here.
:axe:
Of course it won`t be allowed. But your point is valid - unlike the mostly groundless criticism of Nita.
You don`t think she fits - fine.
You think she over plays - also fine.
But I won't have endless unfounded insults aimed at anyone, let alone someone who has done absolutely nothing wrong and doesn't deserve it, especially as it's mainly based on personal taste, bias, or simple trolling of other fans.

For the record I think Nita is a phenomenal player and has injected a huge amount of energy into the current show/line up. It isn't a competition as to who can play what better. That's the whole point of having the three guitarist up there. They all bring something different to the table which benefits everyone.
Bring back Kane!

scotmw65
Trash
Trash

Post by scotmw65 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 pm

I may be in the minority , but Road is the best album since Dirty Diamonds. I am Alice, Welcome to the Show, Frankenstein, Big Boots, Baby please don't go, Dead don't dance, The Big Goodbye are classics. I didn't think Road Rats would be good, thought it would be a waste. But is done differently and I like it, hard to believe I like as much as I do. Rules of the Road, 100 Miles, All over the world , Go Away are good songs not classics. Not filler. Even Magic Bus is better then I thought. Anyway 4 out of 5 stars for me. The whole concept and tunes put this album in my top 10 Alice albums.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:17 am

Don’t think you are in the minority overall, just the minority of those shouting loudly just now.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:25 am

The Nita thing baffles me. She has been employed to perform a role and has done it really well. She has added more youthful energy to the stage and gained profile for Alice.

Kane may or may not be a better player but for me Nita wins on stage every time.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:39 am

I liked the vast majority of Road from the start. And subsequent plays have turned into liking it all. There's a certain cartoonish pop-glam stomp to it, akin to ACAS (which I love as well). I've not enjoyed many Cooper albums post-Warners but this is a real keeper.

What profoundly puzzles me though is why Alice is only playing one of the songs live. His current shows are a massive golden opportunity to promote the heck out of Road; with the very people alongside him who contributed to the album. It makes no sense to have such a disconnect between the studio and the stage. Constantly relying on back catalogue implies that he hasn't the courage of his musical convictions where airing new material is concerned.

As for Nita Strauss, I think she's a good fit for the band; just as Orianthi was. Some of the criticisms of Nita have gone beyond the musical aspect and become personal. There's a whiff of sexism & misogyny to it all.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:24 pm

concolz wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:39 am
I liked the vast majority of Road from the start. And subsequent plays have turned into liking it all. There's a certain cartoonish pop-glam stomp to it, akin to ACAS (which I love as well). I've not enjoyed many Cooper albums post-Warners but this is a real keeper.

What profoundly puzzles me though is why Alice is only playing one of the songs live. His current shows are a massive golden opportunity to promote the heck out of Road; with the very people alongside him who contributed to the album. It makes no sense to have such a disconnect between the studio and the stage. Constantly relying on back catalogue implies that he hasn't the courage of his musical convictions where airing new material is concerned.

As for Nita Strauss, I think she's a good fit for the band; just as Orianthi was. Some of the criticisms of Nita have gone beyond the musical aspect and become personal. There's a whiff of sexism & misogyny to it all.
He knows the majority is there for the hits and no one cares about Road. If even his base is lukewarm to it I'm sure the casual fan can care less.

Orianthi is in a whole other league than Nita. I'd love to see her come back.

Like I posted before...criticize Nita and be accused of misogyny.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:51 am

scotmw65 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 pm
I may be in the minority , but Road is the best album since Dirty Diamonds. I am Alice, Welcome to the Show, Frankenstein, Big Boots, Baby please don't go, Dead don't dance, The Big Goodbye are classics. I didn't think Road Rats would be good, thought it would be a waste. But is done differently and I like it, hard to believe I like as much as I do. Rules of the Road, 100 Miles, All over the world , Go Away are good songs not classics. Not filler. Even Magic Bus is better then I thought. Anyway 4 out of 5 stars for me. The whole concept and tunes put this album in my top 10 Alice albums.
Agree it is still growing stronger imo. What brought me to the next issue : if this were to be the last (solo) Alice album ( and looking back it wouldn't be supprising ( the big goodbye, been all over the world, " I am your creation and now I disappear ...) would it be a decent end of the carreer ?
(i was inspired reading a review of the new Stones record : " if this would be the last record, the circle would be closed and it would be a much more decent , appropriate last record than the previous Bigger Bang ..)
( the expectations on a circle closed by a record from/with the OG´s might be somewhat high...)
you really wouldn't understand..

MacLeod
Trash
Trash

Post by MacLeod » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:21 pm

Road is just...middle of the road. It's not really bad, but it's not really good. It's basic, and Alice should never be basic.

The problem with recent Alice is that he's complacent. He has no idea what the 'garage' sound is anymore. Bands like Dorothy, Greta Van Fleet, Dirty Honey, even Manneskin have that 70's sound that Alice constantly never shuts up about and they play it better than Alice by miles.

I wanted Road to be different. I really did. I was reserved when I heard samples because I was tired of the Paranormal and Detroit Stories sound, and Hollywood Vampires is just as bad I'm Alice is a horrible song, Big Boots is...tolerable at times. The Big Goodbye is pretty good and 100 more miles is tolerable but most of the new album just plain sucks. It's just more bad current day Alice that's just empty with no meaning or fulfillment.

I've come to terms that this is Alice now. This isn't going to change no matter who plays on the album or not. ACG or solo it doesn't matter anymore. It sounds like this band was 'constricted' in the writing process because if they were granted freedom to explore sound, Road would definitely have sounded different.

Also, stop deluding yourselvs that the supposed next ACG album is going to be better. It's going to be more of the same. Ok..admittedly probably better because Fireball, Social Debris, and I hate You are good songs and definitely in the vein that Alice wants.

However, if Alice wants to keep writing and recording...he has to do it without Ezrin. Bob's decision making has harmed the quality and the sound. I don't hold out hope for a modern album from Alice because he's incapable of it.

Disappointing really. Alice could have done better since 2013. But now he's just a shell of himself creatively.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:32 am

patrick wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:51 am
scotmw65 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 pm
Agree it is still growing stronger imo. What brought me to the next issue : if this were to be the last (solo) Alice album ( and looking back it wouldn't be supprising ( the big goodbye, been all over the world, " I am your creation and now I disappear ...) would it be a decent end of the carreer ?
(i was inspired reading a review of the new Stones record : " if this would be the last record, the circle would be closed and it would be a much more decent , appropriate last record than the previous Bigger Bang ..)
( the expectations on a circle closed by a record from/with the OG´s might be somewhat high...)
I’ve reflected this week having listened 15 times or more now. 100 More Miles has got a life of its own now for me, a totally standout track. White Line Frankenstein, Big Boots and Rules of the Road are the dip in the middle of the album. Take them out and listen right through and it’s a much better 10 track sprint with a lot of life in it.

I was in Belgium last week and in a bar with a CD jukebox. Tons of 80s rock being played plus a bunch of French and German music. Absolutely stunned to hear Big Boots being played and a table of three couples probably in their late 40s clearly singing along. Can’t remember seeing anything like that for Alice music for years!

Absolutely don’t see the OG album closing things out (but I’d be ok with this if it did). I’d have thought that the Vampires have at least one more studio album in them and still have space to grow the audience if they want. A pretty great opportunity if you are in your late 70s and have the energy and enthusiasm to push it a bit to see what happens.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:08 pm

patrick wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:51 am
With any effort released by the OG's... The expectations would be astronomical!
Would still buy no matter what. :HEART:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:45 pm

Well its been a couple of months or so now since the release of Road and having bought it on the day of release I still enjoy listening to it all the way through on a regular basis which is more than I can say for the previous 2 AC albums. I still really like it and I agree that 100 More Miles is frustratingly short. It could have had a ripper ending with the band going into meltdown.

As an aside, what happened to Michael Bruce's album that was previewed a good while back now?. Wonder if any of the songs were 'lifted' for the next ACG release.

scotmw65
Trash
Trash

Post by scotmw65 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:07 pm

As I said I enjoy Road , but just having listened to the new Stones album I wish Alice would use someone different to produce next album. I love Ezrin, he is part of Alice. The new Stones album with Andrew Watt as producer is the best album since 1981. I would like to have an Alice album with all killer songs. There is always 1 or 2 songs that are duds, while the others are awesome. Trim the fat, 10 killer tunes. Would be nice if the rumored album with the original band is that killer album.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:18 pm

The Stones album sounds very fresh. I can’t imagine too many Stones fans not liking it. That said, to me there’s not a lot of swagger with the album. Too many mid tempo / slow stuff for my taste. But I would be very curious to see what a producer like Watt could bring to the table.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:14 am

I attended the Nita Strauss meet and greet tonight and had her sign my vinyl copy of Road on the inside with the band picture. According to her the picture was taken when she was on tour with Demi and did the encore with Alice in Colorado in October.