Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:33 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:34 pm
You can't hide a bad album these days. In the past an artist could have a terrible album and still sell millions of copies because of one great single. You cant do that now because the fans can listen to an album on Youtube or wherever before forking over their cash. So who is going to pre-order an album now? Mega fans who want to support an artist no matter what, or people who have a great enough faith in an artist that they feel almost certain that an album will be good. You are going to lose some of those folks in the second category if they feel burned by your previous release. We were talking about ACDC earlier and I think their follow-up to Back in Black is a good example of what I'm talking about. For Those About to Rock sold well, but it just isn't in the same league as Back in Black. I think this is one of the reasons Flick of the Switch did so poorly despite being a very good album.

So pre-order sales of Road may be a result of disappointment with Detroit Stories. Other people may have just listened to the album on Youtube and didn't care for it.
I couldn't agree more. As you know, there were tons of albums for decades that really weren't great albums but labels released a good solid single or two and that sold the album. In the 80's, if you had a decent single and MTV played your video you had a hit. In the case of pop metal (hair bands), you released a hard driving single but the second single needed to be a ballad and if the ballad took off you had a huge selling album even if the rest of the album stunk.

Yes times have vastly changed and some of it frankly does fall on fans who want something for nothing and refuse to pay for music. But you still have to have a gauge of an album's success. The truth is Taylor Swift, whether she is your cup of tea or not is playing stadiums, having tons of Top 10 singles, and she is still getting gold and platinum albums because her fans will buy her music. I can't help but respect how she and her management team run her business.

Part of the problem now is you have bands putting out 3 or 4 songs from an upcoming album. They basically gave away the store before an album is even released and if the songs don't excite fans, even the small sales an artist can get these days become even less. I still don't think "I'm Alice" was a good first song to release. Yes there is humor in it but it comes across as self-parody so the casual hard rock fan or the fan that either likes the either heavier or darker stuff are not going to take the song seriously.

And no matter anyone's feelings toward Detroit Stories good or bad, when it went to Number One on the physical sales chart, Alice's label promoted that and bragged on it (And they should have), Alice frequently mentioned it in interviews, and if you bought a t-shirt at his show, on the bag they placed the Merch in, it mentioned Alice's Number One album. In other words, at least for marketing purposes IT MATTERED. Now, a couple of years later, the chart numbers were not nearly as good so it gets no mention and everyone is saying "Well chart positions don't matter in today's world." It mattered two years ago.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:59 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:33 pm
Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:34 pm
You can't hide a bad album these days. In the past an artist could have a terrible album and still sell millions of copies because of one great single. You cant do that now because the fans can listen to an album on Youtube or wherever before forking over their cash. So who is going to pre-order an album now? Mega fans who want to support an artist no matter what, or people who have a great enough faith in an artist that they feel almost certain that an album will be good. You are going to lose some of those folks in the second category if they feel burned by your previous release. We were talking about ACDC earlier and I think their follow-up to Back in Black is a good example of what I'm talking about. For Those About to Rock sold well, but it just isn't in the same league as Back in Black. I think this is one of the reasons Flick of the Switch did so poorly despite being a very good album.

So pre-order sales of Road may be a result of disappointment with Detroit Stories. Other people may have just listened to the album on Youtube and didn't care for it.
I couldn't agree more. As you know, there were tons of albums for decades that really weren't great albums but labels released a good solid single or two and that sold the album. In the 80's, if you had a decent single and MTV played your video you had a hit. In the case of pop metal (hair bands), you released a hard driving single but the second single needed to be a ballad and if the ballad took off you had a huge selling album even if the rest of the album stunk.

Yes times have vastly changed and some of it frankly does fall on fans who want something for nothing and refuse to pay for music. But you still have to have a gauge of an album's success. The truth is Taylor Swift, whether she is your cup of tea or not is playing stadiums, having tons of Top 10 singles, and she is still getting gold and platinum albums because her fans will buy her music. I can't help but respect how she and her management team run her business.

Part of the problem now is you have bands putting out 3 or 4 songs from an upcoming album. They basically gave away the store before an album is even released and if the songs don't excite fans, even the small sales an artist can get these days become even less. I still don't think "I'm Alice" was a good first song to release. Yes there is humor in it but it comes across as self-parody so the casual hard rock fan or the fan that either likes the either heavier or darker stuff are not going to take the song seriously.

And no matter anyone's feelings toward Detroit Stories good or bad, when it went to Number One on the physical sales chart, Alice's label promoted that and bragged on it (And they should have), Alice frequently mentioned it in interviews, and if you bought a t-shirt at his show, on the bag they placed the Merch in, it mentioned Alice's Number One album. In other words, at least for marketing purposes IT MATTERED. Now, a couple of years later, the chart numbers were not nearly as good so it gets no mention and everyone is saying "Well chart positions don't matter in today's world." It mattered two years ago.

It still matters IMO. Alice sold over 13.000 from Detroit stories and 4500 from Road. Music industry hasn't changed so much in the last 2 years. It's a pity but Road is a flop in the US. In Europe it still had good (not as good as DS but good) chart positions.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:20 pm

Again, personally, I feel that Detroit stories is a far superior album. I am very disappointed in Road but from the forum response I seem to be in the minority. The album received almost universally excellent reviews in the press. But I think the poorer chart position is mainly down to distribution problems. I ordered through Amazon and after nearly a week past the delivery date there was no sign of it. I cancelled it and went to my local HMV store. The girl there had no idea what I was talking about but looked up the computer and dug a copy out of the store room. If this was replicated through out then this would affect sales figures in the thousands and I genuinely believe this is a major reason for the poorer chart position.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:09 pm

Si wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:39 pm
New thread for reviews, both by us and in the media, of the new Alice Cooper album "Road" once people have actually heard the full album.
this is how the band saw it ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSo7DQmmO0Q
you really wouldn't understand..

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:13 pm

So the band and Alice were in the studio together. For at least part of the recordings. Sounds like the band members themselves were always in the recording process at the same time.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:17 pm

revinkevin wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:13 pm
So the band and Alice were in the studio together. For at least part of the recordings. Sounds like the band members themselves were always in the recording process at the same time.
As per other interviews the band generally recorded everything together "live" with very few overdubs.

Going by this interview Alice was also there when they recorded Magic Bus.

Going by the album credit for everything else his vocals were recorded in Los Angeles.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:35 pm

I have listened to Road more than any other new release since Dragontown. To me a lot of the recent albums are pretty predictable with nothing really standing out. On this one I like the big goodbye, I'm alice, and yes, big boots. What can i say, i'm a boots man. I'm doing the Nita meet and greet in november and plan on asking if there was a big guitar outro recorded for 100 miles and then just edited out . That song seemed like it was just getting ready to bust loose but instead fizzled out.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:23 am

Now that the dust has settled who is to blame for the failure of Road?

1) Ezrin and Alice for having final say?
2) The touring band for not delivering musically?

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:38 am

You mean "Failure" to chart? I can say this:
To cheer myself up I bought the new expanded "School's out" that includes the Miami 72 gig: and seriously that band blows off the current one anytime of the day. It was so clear to me

Provocation: did Alice finally decide to show off his current band in order to promote craving for the original band? :p

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:08 am

Failure to chart in US and Canada or why you don’t like the album? Two different things.

1. Marketing and promotion is always no 1. There was a fresh approach for DS but much less in the UK this time. A friend didn’t know the album was out till this week! Same in the US?
2. At least two thirds of first week charting is pre purchase core fans. You ain’t heard it but you buy anyway.Views of the music come later.
3. Distribution - seems to have been an issue reported by several people
4. Last album - if you ain’t heard the new one but didn’t rate the last one..
5. Streaming - he is getting more streaming and this could well have impacted sales to some extent given the way they use algorithms. Chart positions are therefore affected.
6. First single - not a great choice
7. Continued decline in core fans due to age and loss of interest in music. May be small but will be happening.

Plenty of other potential reasons but if chart positions held well in most other places then it’s just the US and Canada who were affected by your suggestions? Don’t think so.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:42 am

I'm thinking more musical failure. This band was touted as his greatest touring band and there's just nothing there. It's just bog standard riffs and apart from one song nothing stands out. Lyrically it's a complete dud and production wise it's sterile an lifeless. There is not one song here I couldn't live without. Olivia Rodrigo rocks harder than this.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:31 am

The promotion of road has been pretty poor all around from what i can see. Not even a video to go along with the "single".
Not to mention releasing the "wrong" song as a first taste.
If they had come out the gate strong with welcome to the show and a great video it would have gained allot of traction. it was never going to sell millions, look at extreme - the video for rise went viral and gained a huge amount of press/publicity (admittedly the solo by nuno was next level great) but that album still didn't exactly rock the charts.

I also don't think it helped with how poor Detroit stories was. As much as it had great press (for some unknown reason) i know allot of people who brought it cold and didn't like it - and then when they saw road was out, just didn't bother with it.
Cant say i blame them. If it was anyone other than alice i would have probably passed on the next album after detroit stories.

For my money the album was a great foundation to build on, i think what he could do with more time, darker and less focussed on the "concept" - it could be the constrictor to a sequels potential raise you fist. Road does grow on me more and more and is getting slightly higher in my internal rankings. I think the band are good on it and alice vocally is awesome but lyrically it is very poor compared to his usual high standards BUT it largely does fit and the more i listen and rock out to it, the more i enjoy it for what it is - a straight ahead rock album that kicks ass.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:44 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:42 am
I'm thinking more musical failure. This band was touted as his greatest touring band and there's just nothing there. It's just bog standard riffs and apart from one song nothing stands out. Lyrically it's a complete dud and production wise it's sterile an lifeless. There is not one song here I couldn't live without. Olivia Rodrigo rocks harder than this.
I too think it's more of a musical failure. The lyrics remind of of Constrictor as in "dumbed down" or little effort. Also a great live band does not necessarily mean they will be a great band in the studio.

I think fans now understand why Ezrin always brought in outside musicians when in the studio. This album makes it clear as to why he didn't use the band on Paranormal which is one of Alice's best album save for the cover.

This band IS NOT----nowhere even close---to Alice's best touring band. In fact it's near the bottom. I think the "love" comes from its longest serving touring band.

Alice had the Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner bands...incredible.

The 1986-1987 band to me was his best...young and hungry. Gave birth to RYFAY. Listen to that album and you'll hear a band that is on fire and has chemistry.

I think Alice caved to the fans and Ezrin went along to finally give them what they want....the result..."Shark Sandwich".

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:56 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:44 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
I too think it's more of a musical failure. The lyrics remind of of Constrictor as in "dumbed down" or little effort. Also a great live band does not necessarily mean they will be a great band in the studio.

I think fans now understand why Ezrin always brought in outside musicians when in the studio. This album makes it clear as to why he didn't use the band on Paranormal which is one of Alice's best album save for the cover.

This band IS NOT----nowhere even close---to Alice's best touring band. In fact it's near the bottom. I think the "love" comes from its longest serving touring band.

The 1986-1987 band to me was his best...young and hungry. Gave birth to RYFAY. Listen to that album and you'll hear a band that is on fire and has chemistry.

I think Alice caved to the fans and Ezrin went along to finally give them what they want....the result..."Shark Sandwich".

I think this is a load of bull. I agree with you that a good touring band doesn't mean that it's a band of good writers, but to blame the band for Road sucking like it does is a grave disservice to them. Did the band write the lame ass campy garbage lyrics on W2MN, too? How about all the crummy filler tracks on Detroit Stories? No, Alice and Bob have shown their penchant for this silly crap for 40+ years. They have done a lot of amazing work together, but they do have their weaknesses and those weaknesses become hard to ignore on some albums.

Nita's new album is better than Road. So are the last two Beasto Blanco albums. There is no way anyone can convince me that if the current band had any real say in the making of Road that it would have turned out like it did.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:56 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:44 pm
pitkin88 wrote:

I think this is a load of bull. I agree with you that a good touring band doesn't mean that it's a band of good writers, but to blame the band for Road sucking like it does is a grave disservice to them. Did the band write the lame ass campy garbage lyrics on W2MN, too? How about all the crummy filler tracks on Detroit Stories? No, Alice and Bob have shown their penchant for this silly crap for 40+ years. They have done a lot of amazing work together, but they do have their weaknesses and those weaknesses become hard to ignore on some albums.

Nita's new album is better than Road. So are the last two Beasto Blanco albums. There is no way anyone can convince me that if the current band had any real say in the making of Road that it would have turned out like it did.
The current touring band is the best of his career in my opinion. They are all great players. They provide a lot of energy and to be frank, Nita Strauss in particular has been a game changer in the band. Besides her solo career (and a couple of high charting singles on the new album), her work with the WWE, the LA Rams, etc has brought Alice a lot of publicity because she gets a lot of coverage and is asked about Alice a lot or is shown in media as Alice Cooper's guitarist. Next to Alice, she gets the most cheers from fans.

In terms of writing, a couple of factors here. One, you can be a great touring/live band and not necessarily great writers. However, if you consider Nita's solo work, Ryan Roxie's various projects (did any of you ever hear the album he did with The Electric Angels back in the day, excellent), Chuck and Beasto Blanco, and I look forward to the new Crossbone Skully album Tommy is coming out with, they have proven to be excellent writers.

With that being said, I am not sure that the touring band was allowed to contribute as much as some think. Alice said in interviews that he and Ezrin gave the band the parameters and they would bring in a song and then Alice and Bob would change it around to fit into Alice. Let me give you an example. Many years ago, my school had a paper that I started writing for. My first article, which I spent a lot of time and energy on I thought was decent work. The Editor of the paper was known to take writer's articles and then do a lot of editing, changing of words, etc. They had that right but I remember being very excited to see my work in print but when I read the article it was about 10 percent of what I had written. My name was on it but it wasn't a lot of my actual work.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm

Nita Strauss in particular has been a game changer in the band. Besides her solo career (and a couple of high charting singles on the new album), her work with the WWE, the LA Rams, etc has brought Alice a lot of publicity because she gets a lot of coverage and is asked about Alice a lot or is shown in media as Alice Cooper's guitarist. Next to Alice, she gets the most cheers from fans.

Nita's "The Wolf You Feed" video has ten million views on Youtube in the last year. Alice's "I'm Alice" has 550k in the last 3 months. Nita's video for "Digital Bullets" has 400k in two months. It's just laughable to think that she and the rest of the band are to blame for the poor results of the last album. Heck, Alice might have been better off letting her write the entire album for him.

p.s. I still hate the growling vocals on The Wolf You Feed.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:51 pm

Love the new album. Playing it right now. Most played album for me since Brutal Planet.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:59 pm

First off, Nita is not even in the same league as Steve Hunter or Dick Wagner.

Nita is not in the same league as Davey Johnstone from the Madhouse Rock tour.

Nita is not in the same league as Mike Pinera from the 1981 tour.

Nita is comparable to Kane Roberts however Kane is the main reason Alice was able to bounce back and stay sober. Don't take my word for it...ask Alice himself.

Artie Funaro (Devlin 7/Jonny Dime) from the 1986 & 1987 tours is a virtuoso in the same league as Hunter & Wagner....it's a shame he was relegated to rhythm guitar on those tours.

I was hoping that Kane was back for good.

The bands that each members are parts of are all very good and produce some great music, however that sure didn't carry over to this album.

The 1986 band wrote RYFAY on the road. The songwriting credits don't tell the whole story of that album....that is a BAND album! I believe Alice was involved all along writing lyrics on the road. It was a magical time that reinvigorated Alice and launched him to Trash and back to the top.

The current band are hired hands (as all his bands are) paid to play live. I think Alice felt he owed it to them and along with the demand from fans
decided to do the album with them. The results are a big steamer!
Last edited by mr.barlow on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:00 pm

I forgot to add Tommy and Ryan are killer players.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:05 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm

Nita Strauss in particular has been a game changer in the band. Besides her solo career (and a couple of high charting singles on the new album), her work with the WWE, the LA Rams, etc has brought Alice a lot of publicity because she gets a lot of coverage and is asked about Alice a lot or is shown in media as Alice Cooper's guitarist. Next to Alice, she gets the most cheers from fans.

Nita's "The Wolf You Feed" video has ten million views on Youtube in the last year. Alice's "I'm Alice" has 550k in the last 3 months. Nita's video for "Digital Bullets" has 400k in two months. It's just laughable to think that she and the rest of the band are to blame for the poor results of the last album. Heck, Alice might have been better off letting her write the entire album for him.

p.s. I still hate the growling vocals on The Wolf You Feed.
I think he'd be better served writing an entire album with Dennis Dunaway.

This turd will lay around stinking forever!