"Road" - Reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:22 pm

When Hell Comes Home is a very good tune but it is actually the only original band tune in the last 20 years that I think is a really really strong track, the others not nearly as much and there are several songs in the last 20 years that I like better that it is a good one.

I am not sure that the Desmond Child album talked about is going to be an Alice album, that is still up in the air. It very well maybe Alice appearing on Desmond's own album, I don't know. But if it is indeed a new Alice album down the road, then I actually would be more excited about that then one with the original band. You can't go home again and the early 70's was over 50 years ago. A great time as were many eras after that but any time a band tries to recreate an era long passed, it rarely measures up. I have used this example before but take Black Sabbath's last album, 13. They tried to do a "classic old school" sounding Sabbath album and in some ways it did sound old school. Yet the album was not very good or inspiring. I remember thinking it was actually a good try at trying to recreate magic but times change and it came off more as self-parody than anything fresh. Though Alice did work with Child before with the very successful Trash album, his work with him was limited and Child still has a decent pulse on creating something new and modern.

I like when a band can keep some of their old school sound but also moves forward and isn't stuck on past glories or trying to recreate past history. I know Brutal Planet wasn't a huge selling album but at the time Alice was on the Spitfire Label here in the United States, which wasn't a label that sold many albums with most of their artists and veteran acts still weren't charting very well. But Brutal Planet was considered one of Alice's strongest albums by many fans and I know I had younger people in my family that weren't really into 70's and 80's music that absolutely loved Brutal Planet and became Alice fans. I have grown a bit worn out on the recent trying to go back to the the 70s sound and the repetitive playlist. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Coop's music and shows but I am looking for something fresh. I doubt the original band is going to create that and though he is a legend and a class act, I am not sure Ezrin is going to even be willing to accept something innovative and modern. I feel like there would be a much better shot at something creative with Child. Just my two cents.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:52 pm

Whereas if it's Child... first, I'd puke, and next I'd debate whether it would be the first AC studio album I'd pass on. (oh, okay, I probably wouldn't, but that's how allergic my reaction to that reunion would be).
jacknifejohnny wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:57 pm

I think “When Hell Comes Home” is the best track for over 20 years. Would not be out of place on LITD imo
:clap: BINGO! Now what did that song have that the others didn't?

OH YEAH the original members!

Score one for the old fans..
Hell comes home is good, but i do not class it in the upper crust, not even the best song on the album, that goes to I Am Made Of You - which is a desmond child co write. I would take an album of that any day.

I am finding i like road more and more, just wish i could scratch off Big boots, rules of the road and the god awful magic bus. I would be excited for anything alice has coming out. But i hear various things and never seem to happen. what ever happened to the marilyn manson co write? whatever his next endeavor is, i'm excited for it, but lets spend some time enjoying this one. im loving we have a new album and im loving that i do actually like it allot. Originally i thought it was worse than paranormal (an album i like allot apart from holy water and the stupid "special edition" cd version i have where its spit over 2 discs) but it may edge close to it....maybe upper mid tier?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:08 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:22 pm
When Hell Comes Home is a very good tune but it is actually the only original band tune in the last 20 years that I think is a really really strong track, the others not nearly as much and there are several songs in the last 20 years that I like better that it is a good one.

I am not sure that the Desmond Child album talked about is going to be an Alice album, that is still up in the air. It very well maybe Alice appearing on Desmond's own album, I don't know. But if it is indeed a new Alice album down the road, then I actually would be more excited about that then one with the original band. You can't go home again and the early 70's was over 50 years ago. A great time as were many eras after that but any time a band tries to recreate an era long passed, it rarely measures up. I have used this example before but take Black Sabbath's last album, 13. They tried to do a "classic old school" sounding Sabbath album and in some ways it did sound old school. Yet the album was not very good or inspiring. I remember thinking it was actually a good try at trying to recreate magic but times change and it came off more as self-parody than anything fresh. Though Alice did work with Child before with the very successful Trash album, his work with him was limited and Child still has a decent pulse on creating something new and modern.

I like when a band can keep some of their old school sound but also moves forward and isn't stuck on past glories or trying to recreate past history. I know Brutal Planet wasn't a huge selling album but at the time Alice was on the Spitfire Label here in the United States, which wasn't a label that sold many albums with most of their artists and veteran acts still weren't charting very well. But Brutal Planet was considered one of Alice's strongest albums by many fans and I know I had younger people in my family that weren't really into 70's and 80's music that absolutely loved Brutal Planet and became Alice fans. I have grown a bit worn out on the recent trying to go back to the the 70s sound and the repetitive playlist. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Coop's music and shows but I am looking for something fresh. I doubt the original band is going to create that and though he is a legend and a class act, I am not sure Ezrin is going to even be willing to accept something innovative and modern. I feel like there would be a much better shot at something creative with Child. Just my two cents.

The excitement of Desmond Child. The Barry Manilow of Rock. You keep harping on about you can't go back to the 70's when original band bashing yet you are fine going back to 1989.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 pm

I still wonder what a real collaboration with the touring band would sound like. I guess we'll never know now.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:22 pm

Reading comprehension is our friend. What I said was Child would be more likely to go with a modern sound. Huge difference and there is a much smaller body of work as well with Child working with Alice. And I haven't bashed the original band. Like that era but I like most other eras as well and some of them, while I do like better than the original band, I think it is all great. But it is a great moment in time and people have to move forward. You aren't going to get a 1972 sounding album in 2023. If a performer has been around for 50, 60 years and if a person only likes maybe 10 percent of the entire career, then obviously they aren't. And in a day and age where more and more of the older bands are passing away, I am not going to be so stuck in the past that I refuse to support anything that is forward thinking.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:14 am

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 pm
I still wonder what a real collaboration with the touring band would sound like. I guess we'll never know now.

C'mon they got a fair shake here. They could always do an album together without Alice. Bit like what SAHB did.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:30 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:14 am

C'mon they got a fair shake here. They could always do an album together without Alice. Bit like what SAHB did.
I have to disagree. I've been listening to Nita's new solo album, and some Beasto Blanco stuff and I'm not really hearing anything that reminds me of them on Alice's album. There are some great solo's on Call of the Void and it has a very modern sound. BB has a lot of aggressive energy. There is some poppy Ryan Roxi stuff but even that isn't as catchy as The Question or Anna.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:24 am

I don't want to invalidate anyone's opinions or feelings; you have a right to like what you like and not get crap about that. But I'd counter the Black Sabbath example with Billy Idol reuniting with guitarist Steve Stevens and producer Keith Forsey to record his best album in ages, or Devo getting the band back together and making their best LP since their glory days in the late 70s, early 80s. Old dogs can still make magic.

And I don't mind living, or rather, revisiting the 70s I had some good times in the 70s, I like listening to my old albums or watching my old SNL episodes, or revisiting a classic movie, like Chinatown or Jaws, and having the time of my life.

But it's really not about that, it's just about good music. And for me, the original group has recently made some really, really good music with Alice, and that has nothing to do with me living in the past, it's about enjoying what I'm hearing in the here and now.

And I agree with the person who brought up, "I Am Made of You", it's a great number - so yeah, a song here or there, okay, but preferring another album full of Child's 'radio friendly units', I can't go along with anyone on that. The OG, as songwriters or even just as players... I mean Rats, Jesus they cook on that. And all around, they don't sound tired, or stuck in the 70s, they sound relevant and viable. And that's why I'm looking forward to a reunion album.

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:41 pm
I don't agree with the idea that the only people who won't like the album are the folks who only like the ACG material. Sure, there are probably a few people like that, but I think it's more accurate to say that Alice has an extremely varied catalog and his fans tastes are equally wide-ranging. Sometimes Alice's output syncs up with a broader section of his fanbase than others.
Agreed, and I wish (certain) critics would stop trying to pigeonhole us. I could kind of understand that at the beginning, like, those writers who said Cooper fans wouldn't accept "From The Inside" - but then it turned out that a lot of us did, and all these years later - after the more commercial LPs, the blackouts, the heaviness of Brutal Planet and on and on... you think they'd get into their heads that overall, a lot of us are more broad minded than we're given credit for. Any of us still on this journey with Alice has heard it all, just about every flavor of music (even Johnny Cash style country).

I don't care for Road because I don't care for most of the songs (and I've articulated why), not because I'm stuck in the early 70s, or the late 70s, or the 80s and all its flavors, or the any other period. It's about Road, and Road only.

I know, this was a lot of words, and I wouldn't blame anyone for blacking out during that, HaHa.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:41 am

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:30 am
pitkin88 wrote:

I have to disagree. I've been listening to Nita's new solo album, and some Beasto Blanco stuff and I'm not really hearing anything that reminds me of them on Alice's album. There are some great solo's on Call of the Void and it has a very modern sound. BB has a lot of aggressive energy. There is some poppy Ryan Roxi stuff but even that isn't as catchy as The Question or Anna.

Nita Strauss on the release of 'Road'

The writing and recording process was completely different than any other album I’ve ever been a part of, and it was an amazing learning experience. The music was recorded in the round - all five band members in a circle in the same room, playing live together. It’s raw, it’s real - some of these solos are rough first takes that made the final record which is crazy to me - and that’s what makes it unique. It’s not like every other modern rock album out there. "

It doesn't sound like they were shackled by Alice and Ezrin. That's what they came up with. I think some people had too high expectations regarding their abilities as song writers. Maybe trying to cram 3 guitarists on songs is constricting who knows.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:31 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:41 am

The writing and recording process was completely different than any other album I’ve ever been a part of, and it was an amazing learning experience. The music was recorded in the round - all five band members in a circle in the same room, playing live together. It’s raw, it’s real - some of these solos are rough first takes that made the final record which is crazy to me - and that’s what makes it unique. It’s not like every other modern rock album out there. "

It doesn't sound like they were shackled by Alice and Ezrin. That's what they came up with. I think some people had too high expectations regarding their abilities as song writers. Maybe trying to cram 3 guitarists on songs is constricting who knows.
What I think what you are missing in that assessment is the Ezrin factor.
Yes, Nita confirms they played the album basically live in the studio BUT to get to that point the songs would have been run through Bob (he has a writing credit on almost everything) and Bob would have done what Bob has always done (and been the master of) and changed arrangements, added parts, taken away parts etc.

This is what people are suggesting is why the band possibly didn't have enough "space" on the album. Maybe the songs were longer or at least the original songs brought in were maybe in a different form then what was finally decided on.

If you look at the credits only four or five are actually band written. The rest are songs brought in from other place, with a single band member co-write in places (Chuck on one, Ryan on another if I recall). There's another facebook quote form the guy who co-wrote 'I'm Alice' saying it was his song.

So it's not really a case of the band writing and recording the whole album in isolation. Everything was run through the Ezrin filter and he likely had the final say as usual. And some are questioning whether his decisions are always the right ones nowadays. The tragically short '100 More Miles' being a prime example.

Oh, and as to your reasonable suggestion they did a SAHB without Alex type album - this was supposedly actually happening a few years ago. It was mentioned by a couple of the band in coinciding interviews that a whole album of material was done, and then suddenly it wasn't happening and no one would talk about it again (if I recall it was Chuck who when asked denied it existed at all after Roxie had stated clearly that it did). It was kinda odd and you have to wonder what happened.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:46 am

Si wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:31 am
pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:41 am

What I think what you are missing in that assessment is the Ezrin factor.
Yes, Nita confirms they played the album basically live in the studio BUT to get to that point the songs would have been run through Bob (he has a writing credit on almost everything) and Bob would have done what Bob has always done (and been the master of) and changed arrangements, added parts, taken away parts etc.

This is what people are suggesting is why the band possibly didn't have enough "space" on the album. Maybe the songs were longer or at least the original songs brought in were maybe in a different form then what was finally decided on.

If you look at the credits only four or five are actually band written. The rest are songs brought in from other place, with a single band member co-write in places (Chuck on one, Ryan on another if I recall). There's another facebook quote form the guy who co-wrote 'I'm Alice' saying it was his song.

So it's not really a case of the band writing and recording the whole album in isolation. Everything was run through the Ezrin filter and he likely had the final say as usual. And some are questioning whether his decisions are always the right ones nowadays. The tragically short '100 More Miles' being a prime example.

Oh, and as to your reasonable suggestion they did a SAHB without Alex type album - this was supposedly actually happening a few years ago. It was mentioned by a couple of the band in coinciding interviews that a whole album of material was done, and then suddenly it wasn't happening and no one would talk about it again (if I recall it was Chuck who when asked denied it existed at all after Roxie had stated clearly that it did). It was kinda odd and you have to wonder what happened.

Does Ezrin have the final say over Alice? I would think it would be joint but has that been confirmed? Alice had been hyping the band up for ages so if he caved to Bob he would be as equally guilty. I did look at the track listing by the way and despite the three guest guitarists I think the touring band played on all the tracks. Where they really that locked up? Seems hard to believe. Chuck certainly has some prominent bass parts. Perhaps if Alice has the guts to do some of the songs live maybe you can see if the band can flex more muscle.

I posted Nita's quote as she seems to be quite happy with everything. Has anyone heard any complaints from the band?

I think it's sad that Ezrin is credited along with Alice on anything that is brought into the picture. My belief is if they don't get the credit then the song doesn't make the album. Personally I'd like to see Ezrin go.

On a final note it appears that 100 More Miles has the least amount of listens on You tube so what do we know anyway.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:12 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:46 am
Does Ezrin have the final say over Alice? I would think it would be joint but has that been confirmed? Alice had been hyping the band up for ages so if he caved to Bob he would be as equally guilty. I did look at the track listing by the way and despite the three guest guitarists I think the touring band played on all the tracks. Where they really that locked up? Seems hard to believe. Chuck certainly has some prominent bass parts. Perhaps if Alice has the guts to do some of the songs live maybe you can see if the band can flex more muscle.
Yes, I think Bob has the final say. While Alice obviously has input he bows to Bob in the final equation unless he feels particularly strongly about something.

Yes, the touring band played on every track. I don`t think you are completely understanding what I wrote.

pitkin88 wrote:
I posted Nita's quote as she seems to be quite happy with everything. Has anyone heard any complaints from the band?
Oh of course not. Be serious. They aren't about to start complaining about it it while promoting it!!

pitkin88 wrote:
I think it's sad that Ezrin is credited along with Alice on anything that is brought into the picture. My belief is if they don't get the credit then the song doesn't make the album.
That's probably very true. Look at the song on Paranormal they they had credit on but it's almost identical to the version the actual writer released. They tweak a song and get a credit.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 am

In all fairness some songs here and there is not the same as making a full album. I do, once again, have high hopes.
[/quote]

I don't have any expectations. They've done more than just a couple of songs together in the last years and i wasn't blown away from them.

When hell comes home - it's nice, dark but forgettable. 7/10

Fireball - a reworked nice old song with strange vocals. 7/10

The sound of A - I like it but nothing special. 8/10

Genuine American Girl - a decent, catchy song. It could've been a concert favourite. 9/10

You and all of your friends - Sounds very old, uninspired and boring. 4/10

Social debris - Another OK song with some nice parts. 7/10

Drunk and in love - funny lyrics but the music is average. 6,5/10

I hate you - one of the worst Alice Cooper songs ever for me. 1/10

Theese 8 songs are almost enough for a full length album and....as I said, I'm more intrested to hear a new collaboration with Desmond Child.
Or a collaboration with somebody else who's not Bob Ezrin.
Andy Watt, Rick Rubin, Bob Marlette, Desmond Child....it doesn't matter who, but not Bob Ezrin. Bob and Alice had amazing albums together (Love it to death, Welcome to my nightmare, Dada etc.) but since 2011 I can't really enjoy his works.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Pitta wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 am
I don't have any expectations. They've done more than just a couple of songs together in the last years and i wasn't blown away from them.
For what it's worth you forgot "A Runaway Train" and "I'll Bite Your Face Off".
Also only Dennis played on "Fireball" and "The Sound of A" and no one from the original band played on "Drunk and in Love" - according to Dennis he just submitted the lyrics and then Alice and Ezrin wrote the song.
On the other hand, all of the original band played on "Rats" but it was written by Tommy Henriksen (and Alice and Bob).
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:58 pm

pitkin88 wrote:

I have been reliably informed that this was a joke and I totally missed it. My bad. I :smack: have to admit to have never having heard of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band until they were mentioned here the other day so I didn't recognize the acronym. I should have googled it.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Swinger wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 pm
Pitta wrote:
For what it's worth you forgot "A Runaway Train" and "I'll Bite Your Face Off".
Also only Dennis played on "Fireball" and "The Sound of A" and no one from the original band played on "Drunk and in Love" - according to Dennis he just submitted the lyrics and then Alice and Ezrin wrote the song.
On the other hand, all of the original band played on "Rats" but it was written by Tommy Henriksen (and Alice and Bob).
You are right, I forgot them.

Runaway train...I absolutely don't like this one. Similar like You and all of your friends. 4/10

I'll bite your face off is a nice live track but I'm not a fan of the studio version. I hate the background "clockwork" sounds. 7/10

Rats...not bad but very forgottable 6/10.

I love every periods of Alice's carreer. I love everything between 1978 and 2001. I love the first albums with the original band too and Eyes and Dirty too, but I have the feeling that he doesn't have a strong concept anymore. He makes only patchwork albums with Bob Ezrin. The albums doesn't have a musical style like before, these are only sequels and homages since 12 years and if the OGs makes a new album with Bob Ezrin, it will be also the same. 😒

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:36 pm

Pitta wrote:
In all fairness some songs here and there is not the same as making a full album. I do, once again, have high hopes.

Genuine American Girl - a decent, catchy song. It could've been a concert favourite. 9/10

Please explain how a song that is nothing special is an 8/10 and another that's just decent is a 9? Did they teach you make math in your skool?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:58 pm
pitkin88 wrote:

I have been reliably informed that this was a joke and I totally missed it. My bad. I :smack: have to admit to have never having heard of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band until they were mentioned here the other day so I didn't recognize the acronym. I should have googled it.
Start with Faith Healer and keep going. SAHB were similar to Alice as they really used the stage and props. Their album without Alex was not very good to be honest though they were great musicians. The ad for the album was very clever.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:57 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:36 pm
Pitta wrote:

Please explain how a song that is nothing special is an 8/10 and another that's just decent is a 9? Did they teach you make math in your skool?
Sound of A is nothing special but a nice and easy song. More than just OK but less than decent. It's for me an 8. Genuine American girl is catchy. It's a decent song but nut a classic one that's why only 9.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:25 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Start with Faith Healer and keep going. SAHB were similar to Alice as they really used the stage and props. Their album without Alex was not very good to be honest though they were great musicians. The ad for the album was very clever.
Oddly enough I am familiar with one of their songs. Bob Seger played their song "Gang Bang" on a bootleg I used to have. It's on Youtube for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkBWcX7 ... .Rockin%27

skip to the 34 minute mark.

Pitta wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:57 pm

Sound of A is nothing special but a nice and easy song. More than just OK but less than decent. It's for me an 8. Genuine American girl is catchy. It's a decent song but nut a classic one that's why only 9.
I actually like both of those a lot. The Sound of A is unique and has a really hypnotic and foreboding atmosphere that I like.