Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:13 pm

Si wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:23 pm

Be serious, it's just another bog standard Stones song that could be from any of a dozen other Stones albums! They can do this stuff in their sleep - or at least between naps.
It was probably the video that SWAY'd me Si! ;)

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:15 pm

Parish wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:13 pm
Si wrote:

Be serious, it's just another bog standard Stones song that could be from any of a dozen other Stones albums! They can do this stuff in their sleep - or at least between naps.
You mean her Big Boots?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:19 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:15 pm
Parish wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:13 pm
Si wrote:

You mean her Big Boots?
Very good! :clap:

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:02 pm

Jimmy Buffet died a billionaire and this generic Stones song has over 6 million views in less than 24 hours. If anyone ever needed proof that there is no justice in the world all they need to do is look at the music industry.
Last edited by Mr. Misdemeanor on Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:04 pm

Hi all, I'll try to be synthetic on this new "Road"

- best song on the album: when it came out as single I was fearing and hoping there would be something better on the cd but in the end...to me the best song here came out to be "I'm Alice". Funny enough, as others have mentioned, it was written for him by Kee Marcello of Europe fame. I wonder if Alice even wrote a single lyric line in it, considering what he did with his credit on "OLWCTW"...

- other mentionable songs: as other pointed out, The Big Goodbye and Dead dont Dance are ok songs and unexpectedly I also thing "Magic Bus" turned out really well. That says it all I guess (I usually dislike covers from late Alice).

- Band involvement: I hoped having on board Tommy and Nita would end up in an 80's feel, more guitar oriented sound and even more keyboards (I love the ones in "Don't give up"), but there's nothing in here in that vein. I agree with others that this band doesn't really "shine", meaning that the "soul" of the band does not emerge. Also, It might be his best bamd (hardly believable..), but the material they came up with or that was filtered to Alice by Bob is unfortunately very standard

- Lyrics: While I don't agree with many of you that this lyrics are cheesy, I too prefer darker themes when it comes to AC. Maybe next one?

- Radio: Road singles got a lot of airplay on the radio here in Rome, Italy. But the physical distribution of the product was delayed of about 4-5 days...and this time around I could find it in just one record store across town

All in all, I surely expected more. I really liked Detroit Stories, I feel it was much better, even in the guitar department. It's probably in the same league as Paranormal, that, except for Fireball and Sound of A, was not that memorable for me.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:12 pm

I'm surprised that Paranormal doesn't have more fans here. It's one of his best solo albums, imo.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:32 pm

I'm just glad that this release is out of the way and pray Dennis Weaver runs it off a cliff.
Now we can get to the "reunion" record and finally hear some songs that actually have some thought put into them.

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:10 pm

Paranormal is bloody brilliant - had it on last night. Latter day classic. New one is great, but not as good as Paranormal.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:56 pm

Road is on constant repeat with me...The Big Goodbye is very catchy....probably my favorite song on a list of many on this I like.

*Paranormal is one of my favorites too...for me Alice hasn't really done a bad album, just some better than others...some weaker ones like Special Forces or Zipper Catches Skin but even a "weak" Alice album is better than most other bands....

Finally about the mysterious 30th album...why does everyone assume its the original band? As far as I know its been listed as a surprise...which of course we can speculate its them but has anyone actually said its the OG band???
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:50 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:56 pm

Finally about the mysterious 30th album...why does everyone assume its the original band? As far as I know its been listed as a surprise...which of course we can speculate its them but has anyone actually said its the OG band???
Apparently Mike Bruce let it slip a while ago.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:15 am

It was reported that in Aug 2022 some of the original members recorded 14 new tracks for an upcoming reunion album in Stanford Connecticut.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:50 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:15 am
It was reported that in Aug 2022 some of the original members recorded 14 new tracks for an upcoming reunion album in Stanford Connecticut.
Yes definitely heard this from several sources , it’s also been reported that Alice and Desmond Child have also written an album of songs ( so that may be 31 )

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:55 am

My abridged Road on frequent repeat here too and Paranormal is being played as well.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:47 am

Yes definitely heard this from several sources , it’s also been reported that Alice and Desmond Child have also written an album of songs ( so that may be 31 )
[/quote]

It was writren in the german classic rock magazine. Sounds definitely besser to me that 14 tracks with the OGs. I like the first 7 albums with the original band, but I find the new songs with them in the last years not really good. Maybe Genuine american girl was decent.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 am

Pitta wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:47 am
It was writren in the german classic rock magazine. Sounds definitely besser to me that 14 tracks with the OGs. I like the first 7 albums with the original band, but I find the new songs with them in the last years not really good. Maybe Genuine american girl was decent.
In all fairness some songs here and there is not the same as making a full album. I do, once again, have high hopes.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:35 am

For me, those tracks with the OG stand among my favorites of the pre-Road albums. So darn tootin' I'm looking forward to a full album reunion.

Whereas if it's Child... first, I'd puke, and next I'd debate whether it would be the first AC studio album I'd pass on. (oh, okay, I probably wouldn't, but that's how allergic my reaction to that reunion would be).

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:57 pm

Pitta wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:47 am
[/quote]

I think “When Hell Comes Home” is the best track for over 20 years. Would not be out of place on LITD imo

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:03 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:57 pm

I think “When Hell Comes Home” is the best track for over 20 years. Would not be out of place on LITD imo
:clap: BINGO! Now what did that song have that the others didn't?

OH YEAH the original members!

Score one for the old fans...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:11 pm

I was lucky to find a french mag Rock Hard with Alice on the cover,a nice pages long interview with Alice and Nita. They chose Road as album of the month giving it 8.5 ,stating it is an album that only people blocked in the magic period of the seventies would be disappointed by..
Sounds familiar...
you really wouldn't understand..

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:41 pm

patrick wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:11 pm
I was lucky to find a french mag Rock Hard with Alice on the cover,a nice pages long interview with Alice and Nita. They chose Road as album of the month giving it 8.5 ,stating it is an album that only people blocked in the magic period of the seventies would be disappointed by..
Sounds familiar...
I like the photo they used for the cover. I googled it.

I don't agree with the idea that the only people who won't like the album are the folks who only like the ACG material. Sure, there are probably a few people like that, but I think it's more accurate to say that Alice has an extremely varied catalog and his fans tastes are equally wide-ranging. Sometimes Alice's output syncs up with a broader section of his fanbase than others.