Dada God
Dada God

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:01 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:42 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:24 pm

How can a review not to be personal? Look at the potshots in context. There are songs on here that are just blatantly sexist rubbish. It's not the 70's anymore.
I take it that you through out all those old "sexist" albums that you own, right?

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:30 pm

The whole protecting children thing is just ridiculous. Like there a thousands of trans people lining up to use womens bathroom and molest children. He should call out the church on those matters.
You never even bothered to read the interview that's got you so angry did you? You just saw a mob forming and jumped in the queue.

Yeah pitchfork in hand I was. I read the article and posted on the make up thread.

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Not much to throw out as I have very good taste. As I said it's not the 70's and any songs like that should be judged by the times. Today though an old man wanting to get rid of his clinging texting gf is a bit cringe worthy. Guffaw guffaw i have to look at the waitresses boots so she dont catch me looking at her boobies is all a bit Finbar Saunders isn't? I had pointed these things out prior to the review btw.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:10 pm

Swinger wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:56 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:09 pm
Considering it came from a man who wore dresses, make up etc it's hardly surprising. We are living in a Country that is banning Dr Seuss Hop On Pop for Gods sake. His comments were fanning the flames of hatred. I believe there is at least one transgender member here that posts. It must be very hurtful. That said, I think his review would still have pointed out the same sexist, trite rubbish.
Thank you pitkin88.

Hi people, I’m a trans woman and an Alice fan and I’ve been a member on this forum since 2005, which is also around the same time I realized I was probably transgender even if I didn’t dare to come out until much later. What Alice said was hurtful and stupid and it honestly ruined my day quite a bit. Hard to be excited for the album now.
For those who think what Alice said was ”bang on the money” I want you to consider this - a lot of what he said about trans people is about as truthful as the myth that Alice would kill chickens and drink their blood on stage - something that people from outside might believe is true but just isn’t. But some people prefer to believe in long debunked myths rather that learn. I won’t say anything more because I don’t want to derail the thread.

I have pre-ordered the album but I’m honestly glad that it didn’t arrive today.

Your welcome. It needed to be said.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:40 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:59 pm
Pitkin,

I hope this doesn't sound like a slam because it isn't my intention, but it comes down to some of these reviewers being professional. A professional review does have to take their own personal bias out and focus on the music.

For example (and I know you aren't a professional reviewer) but everytime you post I always assume it is going to be something negative about Alice and most of the albums because that is usually what it is. You aren't an Alice fan, you are an era fan. That is your business but I take your reviews with a grain of salt because of that. If someone generally likes a lot of Alice's recent work and says this album isn't their favorite, that person has little or no bias, they appreciate most or all of Alice's work and this particular project doesn't work for them. That's being objective. Or perhaps some people love this project but maybe they didn't Detroit Stories, Along Came a Spider, whatever. Reviewing something is going into every project with a clear open mind not with this mindset of "If it doesn't sound like Billion Dollar Babies or Welcome To My Nightmare I am going to hate it." No disrespect intended,but when is the last time you truly said anything good about Alice?
I'm sure I have. I was pretty complimentary to Paranormal. I go in WANTING to like an Alice Cooper album. I think he has the ability to pull out a great late stage album or albums ala Cash. If I'm reviewing something I'd like to think I am being fair and honest. If I'm critical it's thought out.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:36 pm

Just finished playing the album start to finish. Benefitted a lot from taking it at face value and really enjoyed it with the exception of Big Boots and Rules of the Road. If you took them out altogether the album would benefit a lot.

Overall, a fun and enjoyable ride with the potential for 3-4 tracks to go forward as particularly strong - 7.5

Neil McCormick, a “serious music journalist” who is well known for his musical biases as they have been clear for years. Looks like he has taken the easy road to a headline without reading the quote. Given it’s the Telegraph he’s writing for he will probably be criticised for not praising Alice as standing up for ‘traditional values’!

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:00 pm

I’ve listened to Road more times as a new release than I did with Detroit Stories. The thing that ruined DS for me was putting out a lot of the songs on Breadcrumbs. Even though the versions on DS were mixed better, it felt more like a compilation with new songs added in. I’m enjoying this so far except Go Away. The chorus is just meh. I think The Big Goodbye is great. I wasn’t big on I’m Alice as a single but it works better as an album track

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:37 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:00 pm
I’ve listened to Road more times as a new release than I did with Detroit Stories. The thing that ruined DS for me was putting out a lot of the songs on Breadcrumbs. Even though the versions on DS were mixed better, it felt more like a compilation with new songs added in. I’m enjoying this so far except Go Away. The chorus is just meh. I think The Big Goodbye is great. I wasn’t big on I’m Alice as a single but it works better as an album track
Are the three songs that were released before the album actual singles that you can buy? Also when is the Japanese album coming out with the extra track?

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:34 pm

Is it only me but does 100 More Miles seem like an incomplete tune? Upon first listen I was picturing a KOTSS-like break and then a heavy jam but the song ended. And I think Big Boots is the new "Go buck and buck and make a buck".

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:55 am

Listening to the entire album in full, it's much better than the clips and three singles suggested. Even the previously released singles sound better in context.

With regard to his comments regarding the Trans ideology recently, I would imagine this was cleverly released in time to get people talking about him. And it worked. He's entitled to an opinion as we all are. I don't look to my favourite rock stars for moral or political guidance anyway, so it's irrelevant to me.

Solid album. Will give it some more listens. But initial thoughts are that this is better than DS.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:22 am

It hasn't arrived for me yet, so I gave in and listened to it on youtube. Certainly beats Detroit stories and Paranormal, much more coherent and even though you really can't tell who's playing what, there's a unified sound here you don't get when you have 10.000 guest musicians on the former albums. Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth. Highlights so far: "I'm Alice" works much better in context than as a single, "Dead Don't Dance" welcome back Kane, "100 More Miles" WTMN vibes indeed, should have been longer.

Holding out *really* listening to it until I get my copy.

EDIT
Maybe this should have been in the other sub-forum for the actual album, feel free to move this there in that case

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:42 pm

Having listened to it now 5 times all the way through, its such a fun album. Alice's voice is still as iconic as ever. There are no bad tracks for me on this album. Magic Bus, I wasn't familiar with the original so I enjoyed it. Big Boots is just classic fun in the vain of Saga of Jesse Jane to me and I enjoyed it. Big Goodbye, All Over the World, Dead Don't Dance, and Go Away are my favorites of the "not released" songs (already enjoyed the 3 singles so far). Baby Please Don't Go is another winner as a ballad (the man has a knack for tugging at heart strings).

Keep it up Alice, #29 is another success...onward to the big 30th album....

9/10
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:23 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:42 pm
Magic Bus, I wasn't familiar with the original so I enjoyed it.

What?! It's a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3oCB9R ... eWho-Topic

As I said previously, Alice's version is growing on me. I still struggle with the choice of using a drum solo at the end though.

If he he ever does another Who song as a bonus track, I think "Alice the Spider" has a nice ring to it. Chuck could do the deep chorus part. Might be fun as a special Halloween novelty song like Keepin' Halloween Alive.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:44 pm

I like Dead Don't Dance - I agree with whoever mentioned the riff sounding quite similar to Metallica's 2x4, although the pinch harmonics in the chorus also remind me a bit of Black Label Society. However, the transition from second chorus to the guitar solo doesn't work for me - the shredding sounds a bit aimless and ill fitting. It stuck out for me on first listen and it takes me out of the song momentarily every time because I can't help but notice it.

Silverscreen
Trash
Trash

Post by Silverscreen » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:07 pm

Great album. His best in a long while.

Trivial point, Road Rats Revisited is credited to Alice and Dick Wagner but the original version on L&W credits Ezrin, too. Typo?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:34 pm

Silverscreen wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:07 pm
Great album. His best in a long while.

Trivial point, Road Rats Revisited is credited to Alice and Dick Wagner but the original version on L&W credits Ezrin, too. Typo?
I asked that as well, currently we don't know if it was simply a mistake or why it is it's changed.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:55 pm

Sorry, but I've already locked one thread over Alice's comment. If it carries on this one will get locked as well.

None of these comments about what Alice said have any relationship to the topic. I've "pruned" most of them out.

Please Stop.

Stay on topic ie the album, music or shows. This NOT a forum for gender politics. Sorry of you disagree.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:11 pm

About the Hellfest 2022 live DVD that comes with most editions of the “Road” album…. Overall, it’s an excellent DVD. The photography really nails the feel of a great AC show. It’s awesome to see each of these musicians in such great form. They each perform wonderfully, both audibly and visibly!

Sound wise:

The DVD has a lively 5.1 mix, and it's good to have. It sounds like a very accurate representation of the live show - sadly including the unpredictable and overpowering deep bass dives. The show is mostly crankable, but those spots are just too loud. You can hear an example on the DVD as the insanely loud bass drone throughout Nita’s solo. (Side note - when I saw this show live, that drone was oppressive during Glen’s drum solo. I couldn't hear him at all, which really pissed me off.)

Performance/looks-wise:

The whole band was a big slice of greatness that night. Each person on stage was very enthusiastic and animated. Alice looked absolutely terrific. Overall it was a splendid performance, despite the rain. Maybe because of it? Either way, I'm glad to have this show.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 am

You may be right regarding the rain..
I attended a show on the Theater Of Death tour, in pouring rain and thunder, something that definitely added to the atmosphere.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:05 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:11 pm
About the Hellfest 2022 live DVD
Did they include the snippet of "Another Brick in the Wall" during School's Out? They excised that on the Paris concert dvd.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:05 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:05 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:11 pm
About the Hellfest 2022 live DVD
Did they include the snippet of "Another Brick in the Wall" during School's Out? They excised that on the Paris concert dvd.
It's there this time.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:08 pm

Awesome.