Dada God
Dada God

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:06 am

bigbradwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:10 pm
wind_up_toy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:20 pm
My CD copy turned up today (thanks Amazon) and I've put my thoughts down on my website here:

https://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk/ ... /road-era/

I'm no music expert though, so please be kind!
Thanks for the review - not had the pleasure of having the CD appear early but having listened to the snippets and reading a couple of other reviews it goes with my initial feeling that Dead Don't Dance could be the strongest track on the album. Finish work at 02.30 so will post my thoughts on the album when I get home.
Thanks!

It’s always good to put your thoughts down, so you can revisit them years later and see if they still hold true. I always liked Si’s reviews on here.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:58 pm

I tried. I got to 'Go Away' and did as I was told. I just can't anymore. Alice lyrics which were once a highlight of any of his albums are so redundant and juvenile now that I just have no interest in anymore new content. Luckily we have so many old albums to listen to.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:59 pm

Neil McCormick gives Road plenty of slaps in The Telegraph. Headline: Alice Cooper scrapes the barrel with macho clichés and misogyny. Ouch! As it's often paywalled, here's a taste:

How listeners respond may depend on how they feel about a gnarly septuagenarian carrying on like a priapic adolescent on a rampant ego trip....

The lyrics are not without wit... but entirely absent of insight.There is a dismal undercurrent of misogyny.... women are routinely depicted as sexually available groupies, obsessive fans or lovesick romantics doomed to disappointment... The double entendre crassness of Big Boots is beyond redemption, with the ancient star leching gleefully.....

The whiff of hypocrisy about Cooper’s stage persona is clear from recent comments dismissing transgenderism as “a fad,” an unexpected view from a man in makeup called Alice who used to go onstage in garters and suspenders.

...Road recycles outdated myths of rock machismo from a pantomime villain determined to go out in a blaze of clichés.

Well, that's Alice told then!! I'll post my own thoughts later.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:43 pm

concolz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:59 pm
Neil McCormick gives Road plenty of slaps in The Telegraph. Headline: Alice Cooper scrapes the barrel with macho clichés and misogyny. Ouch! As it's often paywalled, here's a taste:

How listeners respond may depend on how they feel about a gnarly septuagenarian carrying on like a priapic adolescent on a rampant ego trip....

The lyrics are not without wit... but entirely absent of insight.There is a dismal undercurrent of misogyny.... women are routinely depicted as sexually available groupies, obsessive fans or lovesick romantics doomed to disappointment... The double entendre crassness of Big Boots is beyond redemption, with the ancient star leching gleefully.....

The whiff of hypocrisy about Cooper’s stage persona is clear from recent comments dismissing transgenderism as “a fad,” an unexpected view from a man in makeup called Alice who used to go onstage in garters and suspenders.

...Road recycles outdated myths of rock machismo from a pantomime villain determined to go out in a blaze of clichés.

Well that extract, whilst possibly correct in some respects, is heavily influenced by the current furore. Just goes to show how bad press can warp someone’s opinion and negatively influence every aspect of how people think of them.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:45 pm

I've given it 5-6 listens. I'm enjoying it - a fairly good rock album that's fun to listen to. There's definitely some naff lyrics, but they weren't as bad as I was expecting given some of the comments here. Baby Please Don't Go is my favourite track so far - I find Alice rarely goes wrong with the ballads. Some cool heavier moments too.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:01 pm

I saw Neil McCormack's review this morning. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, that one was unfortunate because it was fairly obvious Alice's recent rant regarding the Transgender movement did him no favors on that review (what that had to do with the actual album itself I don't know). He also took a potshot at Alice stating he only had a "handful of hits." Hate to tell McCormack but how many hard rock and heavy metal artist have a ton of hit songs. I made several comments regarding the Cosmetics company dropping Alice after his political views came out in another thread.

It is also interesting that while I think this is a decent album but not great (At least after a few listens), the mainstream reviews have generally been favorable. McCormack's review actually goes against the grain.

Anyway here is another review:https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... r-AA1fHn62

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:02 pm

Got the orange vinyl coming tomorrow, but I couldn't wait. Bought the iTunes version, and I'm glad I did. Halfway through the album, and I like it very much. Could it be love? I hope so. The production is rich and strong, and Alice sounds great. Lots of good riffs and guitar solos, and it's terrific to hear these musicians play on a studio album.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:11 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:02 pm
The production is rich and strong
I think the album has a great sound, too. It really is a shame that my favorite bands of yesteryear didn't have access to today's recording technology. I also agree with you about it being nice that the band gets to be in the spotlight a bit; these guys have paid their dues.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:46 pm

concolz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:59 pm

Now that is a review! Most of the ones that get posted could be AI generated. It's all 8 out of 10 nonsense. If these songs are 8 out of 10 what would Killer or LITD or WTMN be rated. I'm glad he got called out on the " fad " and Big Boots is just atrocious any way you look at it.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:52 pm

I wasn't crazy with I'm Alice and felt disappointed after hearing the samples, but I'm enjoying the album when you sit down and listen to it. Is it an instant classic? No. He will never match Love it to Death, Killer, etc. No artist usually gets close to their classic work. But there are some good songs on here. His vocals sound great, the band sounds good. I'm just glad we have Alice still willing to put out new material for the fans. I don't think he is one of those artists that has a lot of unreleased stuff in the back catalog, so we should be happy we have Alice here still recording and touring. Bring on the next album!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:53 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:58 pm
I tried. I got to 'Go Away' and did as I was told. I just can't anymore. Alice lyrics which were once a highlight of any of his albums are so redundant and juvenile now that I just have no interest in anymore new content. Luckily we have so many old albums to listen to.
To quote Tommy Lee Jones on Jim Carrey " I can't sanction this buffoonery ". Worst lyrics since Constrictor. That was more of a shock at the time as it came after Da Da. From Former Lee Warmer to Thrill My Gorilla.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:56 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:01 pm
I saw Neil McCormack's review this morning. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, that one was unfortunate because it was fairly obvious Alice's recent rant regarding the Transgender movement did him no favors on that review (what that had to do with the actual album itself I don't know). He also took a potshot at Alice stating he only had a "handful of hits." Hate to tell McCormack but how many hard rock and heavy metal artist have a ton of hit songs. I made several comments regarding the Cosmetics company dropping Alice after his political views came out in another thread.

It is also interesting that while I think this is a decent album but not great (At least after a few listens), the mainstream reviews have generally been favorable. McCormack's review actually goes against the grain.

Anyway here is another review:https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... r-AA1fHn62
McCormick probably just had his feelings hurt if he has to bring in Alice's personal views into a review about a RECORD

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:15 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:56 pm
cooperrocks wrote:

McCormick probably just had his feelings hurt if he has to bring in Alice's personal views into a review about a RECORD
Absolutely I agree with you and that is my issue on that review. Every last one of us has our own takes on social issues, etc and everyone is entitled to that. The reviewer, however, put his own personal views on an issue into the review which largely disqualifies how objective that review is. He also went the route of taking personal potshots at Alice, also not cool. If he doesn't like the album, he has that right and if he stuck strictly to the songs, his right as well. However, a lot of what he said has nothing to do with the actual album.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:17 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
cooperrocks wrote:

I think you are missing the point. It's fair game within the context. I think many here are hurt that people are calling Alice out.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:24 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:15 pm
VinceLeeRose wrote:
cooperrocks wrote:

Absolutely I agree with you and that is my issue on that review. Every last one of us has our own takes on social issues, etc and everyone is entitled to that. The reviewer, however, put his own personal views on an issue into the review which largely disqualifies how objective that review is. He also went the route of taking personal potshots at Alice, also not cool. If he doesn't like the album, he has that right and if he stuck strictly to the songs, his right as well. However, a lot of what he said has nothing to do with the actual album.
How can a review not to be personal? Look at the potshots in context. There are songs on here that are just blatantly sexist rubbish. It's not the 70's anymore.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:38 pm

Decline as a lyricist? You are definitely entitled to your opinion but isn't that overkill? Paranormal, a lot of the songs from DS, and yes Road has some wonderful lyrics, classic witty Cooper...I am loving Road right now and it's gets a solid 8.5 from me...Keep up the great work, you are the still the Master no matter what some people say....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:46 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:38 pm
Decline as a lyricist? You are definitely entitled to your opinion but isn't that overkill? Paranormal, a lot of the songs from DS, and yes Road has some wonderful lyrics, classic witty Cooper...I am loving Road right now and it's gets a solid 8.5 from me...Keep up the great work, you are the still the Master no matter what some people say....
Agreed. Loved the lyrics on Paranormal especially Fireball and The Sound of A. Detroit Stories had classic Alice story telling in Go Man Go, Hail Mary. Although I will say the line in Social Debris about hip and hop always bothered me lol. But that’s minor

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 pm

A very very good rock album. Those little teasers did not do it justice. The band rips.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:56 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:09 pm
Considering it came from a man who wore dresses, make up etc it's hardly surprising. We are living in a Country that is banning Dr Seuss Hop On Pop for Gods sake. His comments were fanning the flames of hatred. I believe there is at least one transgender member here that posts. It must be very hurtful. That said, I think his review would still have pointed out the same sexist, trite rubbish.
Thank you pitkin88.

Hi people, I’m a trans woman and an Alice fan and I’ve been a member on this forum since 2005, which is also around the same time I realized I was probably transgender even if I didn’t dare to come out until much later. What Alice said was hurtful and stupid and it honestly ruined my day quite a bit. Hard to be excited for the album now.
For those who think what Alice said was ”bang on the money” I want you to consider this - a lot of what he said about trans people is about as truthful as the myth that Alice would kill chickens and drink their blood on stage - something that people from outside might believe is true but just isn’t. But some people prefer to believe in long debunked myths rather that learn. I won’t say anything more because I don’t want to derail the thread.

I have pre-ordered the album but I’m honestly glad that it didn’t arrive today.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:59 pm

Pitkin,

I hope this doesn't sound like a slam because it isn't my intention, but it comes down to some of these reviewers being professional. A professional review does have to take their own personal bias out and focus on the music.

For example (and I know you aren't a professional reviewer) but everytime you post I always assume it is going to be something negative about Alice and most of the albums because that is usually what it is. You aren't an Alice fan, you are an era fan. That is your business but I take your reviews with a grain of salt because of that. If someone generally likes a lot of Alice's recent work and says this album isn't their favorite, that person has little or no bias, they appreciate most or all of Alice's work and this particular project doesn't work for them. That's being objective. Or perhaps some people love this project but maybe they didn't Detroit Stories, Along Came a Spider, whatever. Reviewing something is going into every project with a clear open mind not with this mindset of "If it doesn't sound like Billion Dollar Babies or Welcome To My Nightmare I am going to hate it." No disrespect intended,but when is the last time you truly said anything good about Alice?