Modification

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Modification

Post by boy/man » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:19 pm

There seems to be an error in the timeline section for the Live In The Flesh tour:
April 18th '88 Osnabruck, Germany, Stadthalle (Show Censored)
Two bootleg videos from this specific show just appeared on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvEuAPz ... Vjaw%3D%3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojhBvM ... Vjaw%3D%3D
And as far as I can tell, nothing seems to be censored; the theatrics for Prince Of Darkness, the Gail trilogy, Dead Babies and Killer all seem to be very much intact..

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Modification

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Thanks for that link. What an awesome tour that must have been! Such a shame there's no official tour video from that era.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:37 pm

boy/man wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:19 pm
There seems to be an error in the timeline section for the Live In The Flesh tour:
April 18th '88 Osnabruck, Germany, Stadthalle (Show Censored)
Two bootleg videos from this specific show just appeared on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvEuAPz ... Vjaw%3D%3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojhBvM ... Vjaw%3D%3D
And as far as I can tell, nothing seems to be censored; the theatrics for Prince Of Darkness, the Gail trilogy, Dead Babies and Killer all seem to be very much intact..
Yes it does, assuming the video is actually from the that date.
There seems to be a lot of confusion, at least to me, over this German show censorship and which shows suffered. There are several videos from various German shows (all pretty poor quality) but all appear to be uncensored, including the first show in Osnabruck,.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:41 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm
Thanks for that link. What an awesome tour that must have been! Such a shame there's no official tour video from that era.
No problem

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:43 pm

Si wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:37 pm

Yes it does, assuming the video is actually from the that date.
There seems to be a lot of confusion, at least to me, over this German show censorship and which shows suffered. There are several videos from various German shows (all pretty poor quality) but all appear to be uncensored, including the first show in Osnabruck,.
Yes. I've seen other bootleg videos from Germany from this specific tour, and I'm honestly starting to wonder whether there was any censorship at all and this is just another case of the usual "Alice mythology"..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:44 pm

boy/man wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:43 pm
Yes. I've seen other bootleg videos from Germany from this specific tour, and I'm honestly starting to wonder whether there was any censorship at all and this is just another case of the usual "Alice mythology"..
This has occurred to me! :alice:

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:47 pm

Si wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:44 pm

This has occurred to me! :alice:
Yeah, absolutely :8):

EDIT

While we're on the subject of this particular tour, this one is probably the best bootleg video from the tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzk0gqy ... 9vcGVyIDg4

button
Trash
Trash

Post by button » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm not an expert on the topic and I didn't attend any of these shows as I was just eight years old at the time, but it has always seemed strange to me that these shows were allegedly censored in Germany.
I remember reading years ago that Alice Cooper shows were censored in Bavaria at some point in the 1980s but I cannot find any article about that anymore. In the timeline it also says that the "German-Bavarian government did manage to have one of Alice's shows modified in 1988 due to reports from the UK of extreme violence." That might be true because Bavaria is often more conservative than the rest of Germany and it seems likely that the local autorities based their decision on these reports as they probably didn't have any more information.
Two of the shows took place in Bavaria: Furth and Munich. Maybe just these shows (or only one of them) were censored.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:30 pm

button wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:28 pm
I remember reading years ago that Alice Cooper shows were censored in Bavaria at some point in the 1980s but I cannot find any article about that anymore. In the timeline it also says that the "German-Bavarian government did manage to have one of Alice's shows modified in 1988 due to reports from the UK of extreme violence." That might be true because Bavaria is often more conservative than the rest of Germany and it seems likely that the local authorities based their decision on these reports as they probably didn't have any more information.
Two of the shows took place in Bavaria: Furth and Munich. Maybe just these shows (or only one of them) were censored.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:26 pm

I was at the Osnabruckshow and don't remember any censorship at all.
For me they were the best Coopershows I ever saw.
Crowd went crazy and lots and lots of blood and gore, YES !!!

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:45 pm

Wow .... enjoyed that.... just watched the Toronto video. What a show. Saw it in Manchester but had forgotten just what an epic show it was. There is just so much going on. A worthy follow up to the Nightmare Returns show a year or so earlier. A shame it wasn't properly released but I guess we had only just had the video of the Nightmare Returns. A fantastic time piece thanks for putting it up.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:48 pm

Yes. This show is definitely Alice at his most vicious, sans the black widow skit which seems a little corny, and basically "the other side of the coin" of The Nightmare Returns. I'd even go as far as to say Live in The Flesh surpasses The Nightmare Returns, both regarding theatrics and the music; the band is way tighter and there are almost zero pauses between the songs. "All the subtlety of a brick in the face", indeed.
It truly pains me that there's no pro shot video of the whole show available, except for the 5-6 dress rehearsal songs. At least it contains Dead Babies and Killer, I admit..
But the Toronto gig is indeed watchable at least, if you can live with the audio quality.

EDIT

Also did a rewatch of The Nightmare Returns and I honestly wonder if "Steven" should be added to the setlist section of that show, as that is clearly a metalized version of the song that goes completely off the rails into heavy metal during the Frankenstein illusion..