Hollywood Vampires Question

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Hollywood Vampires Question

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:34 am

I am just throwing this out for discussion and let me begin with this. This question is not whether you are a fan of the Hollywood Vampires or not. I know a lot of Alice fans who love it and I know some that don't care for it all. That isn't what the question is about as I am looking for an objective opinion.

Overseas, the Vampires tour drew very very well and played in front of several thousand people and sold many shows out. There is no denying the success whether that stems from Johnny Depp's presence, Joe Perry, or Alice or a combination of the three. It was a very successful tour without question. If Alice and company were to commit a full year to just the Hollywood Vampires and with that I mean them clearing their schedule of other projects (such as Alice solo tours, Perry with Aerosmith who are allegedly doing a final tour and Depp's movies) and made another album and did a full length Worldwide Tour, how successful do you feel that would be and is it something you could or could not get behind?

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Re: Hollywood Vampires Question

Post by Pitta » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:33 am

I think it could be a very succesful tour, because Johnny Depps second chance in Hollywood. The tour this year was a big success, but I don't think that they could make a very successful album. It's too old school for the TikTok generation, and too eclectic for the hardcore Alice Cooper or Aerosmith fans.

It's only an overhyped all-star coverband IMO. And it's only overhyped because of Johnnys presence. He has actually his big comeback, that's why I think that the next tour could have a big potential. I saw them 4 times and it was really good, but it's nothing more than a bar band. They had to cancel a show because of Johnnys problems (health or alcohol or drugs...nobody knows why), so they can only continue with him if he is fit enough to do it.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:03 am

I saw the videos. Lots of people and seemed like a good response from the crowd. I actually liked the second Vampire album and would like to see them cut way down on the covers and do more original stuff.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:10 am

Original post edited as I don't know what they f I'm talking about. Thought Rise was another mostly covers songs.
Last edited by pitkin88 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:00 am

I have never seen or listened to a full Hollywood Vampires song, just snippets, but I'm not against it - seems like they're having fun. If some friends wanted to go, I was available and the tickets were reasonably priced - I would consider going, would be a fun night.
I think what least appeals to me is the material they have chosen to cover seems to be a setlist created by the most corporate classic rock radio. I may be in error but the clips I've seen on YT are the most overplayed Who, Doors and Pink Floyd tunes.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:48 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:00 am
I think what least appeals to me is the material they have chosen to cover seems to be a setlist created by the most corporate classic rock radio. I may be in error but the clips I've seen on YT are the most overplayed Who, Doors and Pink Floyd tunes.
I think that is a little unfair, but I can see why you would think that having not been following them that much.
Yes, they have a Who song and a Doors medley, but the Pink Floyd bit is just the same Brick in The Wall segment Alice does during School's Out.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but Killing Joke, Johnny Thunders and the Jim Carrell band are hardly mainstream classic rock radio fodder? I for one had never heard of the latter before the HV covered the songs.

The current HV setlist is split 6 originals, 2 Alice songs, 4 covers they have recorded themselves on albums, and 5 other covers, plus the Jeff Beck tribute section.

Personally I think if they want to be taken seriously as a band the next album should jetison the covers completely. The original material on BOTH HV albums is the best stuff on them (Rise title track aside) and Johnny and Tommy obviously have a writing connection that works so they should follow that. While it's clearly the star power of Depp that pulls in the most people I think they do have something good to work with , but the "Dear Drunk Friends" gimmick that created them is starting to hold them back.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:15 pm

Si wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:48 am
Toronto Bob wrote:
I think that is a little unfair, but I can see why you would think that having not been following them that much.
Yes, they have a Who song and a Doors medley, but the Pink Floyd bit is just the same Brick in The Wall segment Alice does during School's Out.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but Killing Joke, Johnny Thunders and the Jim Carrell band are hardly mainstream classic rock radio fodder? I for one had never heard of the latter before the HV covered the songs.

The current HV setlist is split 6 originals, 2 Alice songs, 4 covers they have recorded themselves on albums, and 5 other covers, plus the Jeff Beck tribute section.

Personally I think if they want to be taken seriously as a band the next album should jetison the covers completely. The original material on BOTH HV albums is the best stuff on them (Rise title track aside) and Johnny and Tommy obviously have a writing connection that works so they should follow that. While it's clearly the star power of Depp that pulls in the most people I think they do have something good to work with , but the "Dear Drunk Friends" gimmick that created them is starting to hold them back.
Hey Si,

Yes you are right on those three more obscure bands you listed. I was aware of the Jim Carroll song but it definitely isn't played much and the other two not much at all. I also, and this is just being honest, but I was never crazy about the theme being "Dead Drunk Friends." This is just me but I had a family member drink themselves to death and every time I hear someone bring them up and then a comment about them being a "drunk" it makes me cringe. I think saying this is a tribute to some people we used to party with that are now deceased is one thing but repeatedly saying "Dead Drunk Friends" I have never been crazy about and maybe I am oversensitive to that term.You kind of hit on my point. There is no question the band is selling tickets, lots of them in fact! They are definitely making money and they seem to be liked by most so it would seem to me that doing a long tour perhaps with all original album (you want to have plenty of new songs to play) could potentially be a really strong tour and I would be curious to see what it could draw here in the United States and perhaps Canada. It clearly is a winner overseas. But like you I think the covers and Dead Drunk Friends theme has ran old, at least with me. Honestly and like I said it is selling tickets, but I really don't have a strong desire to pay big time ticket prices to mostly here covers. While it may not be all the same songs, I can go to a local club and here some really good cover bands (not saying they are on the same level as Alice and company) play some of my favorite tunes and only spend 5-10 dollars for a cover fee.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:33 pm

I paid roughly 70 quid per ticket for Glasgow, thought that was really reasonable. Was a balls to the wall 2 hours, well impressed

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:08 am

Yep, the Glasgow show was absolutely stellar. I also think the Rise album is great.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:29 am

I’ve been thinking about this slightly differently. This gives Alice and Joe, Alice particularly, a chance to do something different and to a different and possibly larger audience. At this point in Alice’s career why not have some fun and just see where it goes? Not many folk in the last years of their career get that and being blunt about it, do we really think anything will still be going in ten years time?

I’m not sure about dropping the covers because it’s clear a lot of the audience come for that. I spoke with a 68 year old guy in Glasgow. A rock fan who has seen almost everyone from the early 70’s including Alice, Aerosmith, the Who, Floyd, Genesis, Stones etc. He loves the concept of HV, particularly because Alice and Joe are from the era and are connected to it. He was only there for the covers. Big songs from a big band in a big arena was all he wanted. It was an event for him not a night in the pub watching a covers band.

I suppose how it progresses depends a lot on whether this is mainly a live band or an album band. Live is where the money is for it and there is a long list of songs that could make the setlist without too much effort.

Two other points worth mentioning. There was a huge age difference between the crowds in Paris and Glasgow perhaps 15 years. Both were mainly rock crowds but I wonder which is typical of what they are getting across the tour.

Finally, I was also uncomfortable with Dead Drunk Friends at the start having lost my mother to that years ago. Strangely though it’s somehow helped me face that better in the last few years so I’ve no issue now.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:24 pm

People saying cut out the covers seem to be missing the point that one of the main factors of HV was to honour their "dead drunk friends".
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:49 pm

Si wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:48 am
Toronto Bob wrote:

You're right - my impression of the HVs is from limited knowledge - a non-fan. I fully admit at this point I'm not following any new Alice projects at all. I pay enough attention to know about a Killer or School's Out re-issue and whether it's worth my time and money to purchase it but that's about it. I never even bought Detroit Stories or the last 2 or 3 live albums that have been released. Unheard of for me between the years 1976-2017. It's due to too many mediocre albums released consecutively. I didn't care for Dragontown and each album after that was getting progressively more uninteresting to me, bottoming out with W2MN. I thought Paranormal was decent but not enough to re-ignite my interest totally. So any comment I make about the HV is not a well informed one, strictly reflects my impressions and interest. Thanks for the info.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:24 pm

killer wolf wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:24 pm
People saying cut out the covers seem to be missing the point that one of the main factors of HV was to honour their "dead drunk friends".
I don`t think we're missing that, what we're saying is that they have DONE that now, and to continue moving forward as a band (if they wish to carry on) they should generally drop that theme now, at least in terms of any forthcoming albums.
It's actually a compliment, as mostly their original songs are better than the covers they are doing!

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:34 am

“ While it's clearly the star power of Depp that pulls in the most people”

Yet I wonder how successful it would be if it was just Johnny Depp. This isn’t his first go at being taken seriously as a musician, in fact I recall him writing that music was always his first love and that was how he originally wanted to make his mark.
While he’s obviously the driving force I think it’s a case of he needs them as much as they need him to make this work.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:06 am

Agree, it's the package not just JD. They need each other to create the great dynamic they had on stage and that's a big part of what will draw people back again.

I genuinely dont think that JD brought most of the crowd to the gigs I was at, particularly Glasgow. Yes, JD gets the press publicity but there were a lot of people there for the event.- a classic rock gig with legendary songs and legendary band members.

Ii think thats the challenge for them, they do need to evolve but can they take all elements of the crowd too? I'm told they got the high profile classic act mainstage slot at Hellfest ie. people you have heard of and songs you will recognise. I think a HV only set wouldn't get the same ranking and I doubt they want to go backwards on that.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:20 am

I have to agree with Del. I have seen them twice now and they are a great live band. The Glasgow gig was packed with a wide range of audience. I personally like the covers. It means that the audience members who aren't Alice or Aerosmith fans still know the majority of songs. Lots of youngsters around me were really into the gig and they were blown away by Alice so he is picking up new audience.
The only downside for me is that the original material in Rise was poor. If they continue as a recording band then that has to improve. But this is a side project for all of them so how much can they commit to this?
Most importantly for me is that Alice is having a lot of fun with his mates while picking up more fans and putting on a great show.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:23 am

I would like to add that while the last two Alice tours have been superb the set list has been pretty stagnant for years so I am more than happy to see him doing something completely different once in a while.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:38 am

Agree 100% with that dadascot.