Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

I'm Alice

Post by Si » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e95DzkIgnJg

Goes live at midnight in YOUR time zone - so already out in Australia (or if you have a VPN :) )

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Re: I'm Alice

Post by Pitta » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm

Did you hear it? If yes, how is it? 🤩🤩
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:38 pm

Pitta wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm
Did you hear it? If yes, how is it? 🤩🤩
Yes... and wait and see for yourself. My tastes may not be the same as yours!
It's not terrible though :laugh:

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:59 pm

Hm. Not terrible? 😁🤣 Similar like Detroit stories or different style?
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:37 pm

Pitta wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:59 pm
Hm. Not terrible? 😁🤣 Similar like Detroit stories or different style?
Wait and see! Only a few hours.

zzz
Trash
Trash

Post by zzz » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:55 pm

I feel like the song doesn't know what it wants to be, vaudeville-esque intro material or standard hard rock song. I think it would work much better as strictly the former, with the length cut in half, and maybe a different production.

The guitar solo towards the end is cool. This might be a personal issue, but I can't stand the title-only chorus, it makes it sound generic

With all that being said, it is very clearly the 'intro' song to the album, and I'm not at all convinced that it's shortcomings will reflect on the rest of the album. If the lyrics were different it would most likely be just a filler song placed halfway through the album, but because they are very introductory, it wouldn't make much sense to put it anywhere except the beginning

That's my opinion anyways, still very excited for the new album. Touring band + Wayne Kramer, can't beat that

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:33 pm

To.me, it has some Last Temptation vibes. The guitar near the end, shades of Elected. Could be a grower.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:36 pm

The song is nice! But its more like an album-closing song than an opener/single. Lets hope for more exciting moments during the road trip!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:38 pm

Voodoo Revolution wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:33 pm
To.me, it has some Last Temptation vibes. The guitar near the end, shades of Elected.
I agree

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:39 pm

zzz wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:55 pm
I feel like the song doesn't know what it wants to be, vaudeville-esque intro material or standard hard rock song.
It's the vocal that's giving me this sort of feeling. It's a bit all over the place, like there's a few different vocal approaches that don't really gel together.

It's not wowing me on first listen. It's OK, not awful but not that great. Hopefully it'll improve on repeated listens.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:05 pm

If the rest of the album sounds like this I would say its up there with Dirty Diamonds or The Eyes of Alice Cooper....so still not his best effort since Brutal Planet imo. However if this is perhaps a snippet and there is stonger material then we could be getting a long awaited return to something that stands the test of time at least on par with Brutal Planet.

I am getting Hey Stoopid and Bon Scott vibes from this track :D

It has got me excited and convinced Alice needs my money :clap: :rotfl: :evil:

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:17 pm

Definite shades of The Last Temptation in there.

It also has some echoes of the blackout era, for me anyway.

I think it's quite promising.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:16 am

I am liking it, its a track that you need to listen to a fair few times to get a real feel of it but as people have said its definitely got some Last temptation vibes on it. I think the solo is a little underwhelming and could really have had the spoken word part lead into a ripping solo with a more energetic last section(but i appreciate thats a me thing) i feel the elected callback is a little cheap (they did allot of that on W2MN) but i dont hate that its there.
Its a good song and promising for the album thats for sure. For me it has already sat on top of detroit stories ! hahaha

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 am

Just as an aside, this is a song about Alice, does that mean the ballad of alice cooper could get a release?

zzz
Trash
Trash

Post by zzz » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:43 am

I hope not, the Bon Jovi version is floating around on YouTube and it's not good

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 am

Omg omg omg I love it!!! Some of those lyrics made my skin crawl with joy..."the shameless pretenders have come and they have gone but I stand here before you, the Legend lives on" DAMN I love that!! The master of Madness, the father of fright...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:27 am

Alice, to me, has so many voices. Many of them specific to certain periods during his career. I hear a lot of Last Temptation vibes (especially Sideshow) but there are bits and pieces in Alice's spoken lines that conjure the blackout years, Dirty Diamonds and W2MN. His voice is still crystal clear and authoritative after all these years, which is a wonder to behold given his age. I love the Elected infused bass/guitar parts near the end. Taken as an intro, it's great. My only complaint? Alice is singing noticeably flat in the choruses. I'm all about some ragged attitude over pitch perfection but my musical OCD goes bonkers in the choruses. I'm going to strip those vox, contour the pitch a bit in the choruses and drop them back into the accompaniment. It should be a fun challenge.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:38 am

Listening again this morning, I like it a little more. The chorus could do with a more solid beat, (although I guess that's the payoff for the final chorus). I can't help but think of Space Pirates when I hear the vocals (especially the first few verses).

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:02 am

Listened to it twice.

I think it gives high hopes for the rest of the album.

The first thing that has to be noted is lyrically, as you would expect from Alice is very strong.

I like the fact it's dark and edgy - as mentioned a little sprinkling of Last Temptation.

The fact that it's not particularly catchy or memorable after a listen or two isn't overly concerning as it has the time to grow and last over time - is it a good choice for a single? Probably not as mentioned.

Mark Wahlberg
Trash
Trash

Post by Mark Wahlberg » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:06 am

Elected 2.0