Re: I'm Alice

Post by Parish » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:48 pm

All are one and one are all...

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:39 pm

There are some people who may love a short, low inspired, “silly” Alice song much more than Iron Maiden’s or Black Sabbath’s Top class songs. This fact can’t be explained. I wish Alice doesnt give a ## for our opinions, positive or negative and keep doing what he wants, recording albums that make at least one person’s life more exciting.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:44 pm

Here is the thing and Parish I am not ganging up on you but the days of the original band are long long over. I actualy prefer solo Alice to the original band (don't get me wrong I like that too but prefer much of his solo career). Part of writing whether it is a book, music, etc is trying new ideas, expanding upon things, etc. You can't go home again but when someone goes into a project automatically assuming they are going to hate it then there is nothing you can do for that person. It comes down to really saying I am not a fan of that artist. I like a few songs or I like a small era but overall I don't care for their music. For instance, I think Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is an amazing album, but other than that one album, I don't care for much of the rest. Therefore, I would never claim to be a Queensryche fan and I can complain but it doesn't sound like Operation Mindcrime. Well it shouldn't. Bands try new ideas and move on and create their art AND that's exactly what they should do.

You simply can't write the same way time and time again unless you basically take the AC/DC formula and a lot of their albums are tired sounding in my opinion. Now flash forward to modern day Alice. Take the two original band songs on Paranormal. Those are both my two least favorite songs on the album. Genuine American Girl has very silly lyrics. But somehow that one got a pass simply because it had the original band's name on it. That is not someone who can be objective. They are going to defend anything the original band does while trashing anything later Alice does. And that can work the other way as well. If you prefer solo Alice, you could do the same to the original band.

Some of my favorite Alice songs ever are off the solo albums and many of those songs are deep cuts. Some of my favorite Alice albums are solo albums. I would rather listen to something like Dada or The Last Temptation to any of the original band albums but those are good too.

People evolve and change over time. Your motivations, your writing style, everything changes. It happens with age, view of the world etc. Alice's character changed around 1986 with the Constrictor album. Alice (the character) was no longer the victim but the villain. He also became a much better singer live.

The problem is he is danged if he does, danged if he doesn't. If it doesn't sound like 1972, half the fans already hate it no matter what. It isn't coming back nor should it.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:56 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:44 pm
Alice's character changed around 1986 with the Constrictor album. Alice (the character) was no longer the victim but the villain. He also became a much better singer live.
:clap: This is genius cooperrocks...never looked at it from this angle.

That being said....In my best bratty whining Herman Munster foot stomping voice...." I want the victim Alice back! Waaaaahhh!"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:59 pm

That's fine, but that Alice isn't coming back. Have a good day.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Hmmm. Doesn't really grab me this song. Feels a bit disjointed. Not bad at all, just a bit middle of the road. Feels like Alice has been on this same theme for a while now. I'm not sure how many times he can 'go to the well' of this Detroit/Garage rock style.

But I'm glad many on here seem to enjoy it. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it. Must admit, I've listened to Detroit Stories very seldom since it came out. Only just realised that actually...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:52 pm

Im not bothered by "going back to that well" as it were for the stripped back rock n roll style. Its what he likes, i broadly like it too.
Its all in the delivery. I loved most of paranormal (except holy water and private public breakdown) but hated most of detroit stories (except social debris, I hate you, wonderful world and hanging by a thread and go man go)
Paranormal felt cohesive where as detroit just felt like a mish mash of random tat.

Both basically in the same style but the delivery was wildly different and as such paranormal is ranked 13 and detroit stories is ranked 20 in my album rankings.

"i'm alice" is gonna be rock and roll sounding - its a roxie song, its all he knows how to do. But it does have a darker edge to it that than his normal stuff (maybe that was more ezrins touch?)

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:26 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:52 pm
I'm not bothered by "going back to that well"
Yes but to be sooooooo uninspired to use "Frankenstein" in yet another song title is just atrociously lazy...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:19 pm

How many times has he used "Frankenstein" in a title in 50+ years? is this the third time? maybe i am missing something. 3 times is hardly allot is it?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:26 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:19 pm
How many times has he used "Frankenstein" in a title in 50+ years? is this the third time? maybe i am missing something. 3 times is hardly allot is it?
:rotfl: It's not like the word is "Beer" or "Car" or something like that its FRANKENSTEIN for chrissakes...as in been there done that....next Universal Monster you're up!

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:29 pm

Alice's next uninspired rekkid should be cawled, "The Emperor's Clothes" cause apparently, he has legions of fans who won't call him out on anything...

Cadaver Eyes
Trash
Trash

Post by Cadaver Eyes » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:10 pm

concolz wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:21 am
Cooper's semi-spoken parts are sort of Space Pirates-meets-the verse of AC/DC's Big Balls. Ezrin keeps Alice front & centre, so the arrangement is, thankfully, rather restrained. It's not 'killer', yet not filler either.
I've listened to the song a few times and every time it gets to the spoken part I sing along with Bon's lyrics " I'm ever upper class , high society . God's gift to ballroom notoriety " I'm Alice . Maybe he'll add those lyrics live like he does with Brick in the middle of School's Out 🤪

I love hearing new music from Alice and consider it a gift . I don't always like it but appreciate the effort and I'm happy knowing he still enjoys creating new music . "I'm Alice " is growing on me but not fond of burying the music so far below the vocals .

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:36 am

The Band sounds great! Give props to Ezrin for production on that. :clap: You're listening online & if it's Flat check your equipment. The lyrics do seem to be a bit trodden but,typical Alice. He hasn't "Pushed The Envelope" for awhile.
Still searching for that mysterious tune that resonates. Maybe not this one but, interested to hear the rest of the Lp. :grin:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:53 am

Parish wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:42 pm
My extremely low bar for a good song is "Would I play it a second time?"
I actually bought Detroit Stories and returned it WITHOUT MAKING A COPY because it was just so embarrassing.
So, In your opinion those "Classic" Detroit artists don't deserve a 2nd spin? Sure, "Detroit Stories" may have been a step up in recording & production but, did you do the research on the "Originals" before you "kicked it to the curb"?
He brought many of those songs out of "relative obscurity" & gave them a new audience. I'm sorry that you had a problem with that. Some great tunes by obscure artists that deserve our respect! Alice wasn't trying to "Cash In" he was paying homage & respect! Can you grasp that? :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:26 am

Parish wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:34 pm
del wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:07 am
50 years of negativity must be a difficult cross to carry. I can never understand those who hang about to constantly and negatively compare a band which died 50 years ago after a relatively short career with a singer who has managed to navigate the next half century. Is it still the blame game?
With the exception of Glen (whose demise could easily be attributed to being dumped on the side of the road) the band is not dead.
I am corrected? Don’t think so. There have been no Alice Cooper group albums or singles in the last 50 years. Sure, there have been collaborations and guest appearances and even a brief reincarnation but as a matter of historical record, the band broke up, died. Alice took the name and everything is his journey which has kept the ACG music alive.

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:28 am

Hi all, you guys are right, at first I didn't notice a nod to Last Temptation but it's surely there. That album had the songs, but IMO lacked the required power especially in the guitar department: too thin on such a dark record. Will it be the same here?

Now, I think Alice is not showing all his cards in this "I'm Alice". It's the opener of a themed album, so I wouldn't expect this to represent the whole mood. Not at all. I think we are still in for a great album, although, I must admit, I was expecting something completely different

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:09 pm

Parish wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:26 pm
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:19 pm
:rotfl: It's not like the word is "Beer" or "Car" or something like that its FRANKENSTEIN for chrissakes...as in been there done that....next Universal Monster you're up!
Now I want a whole Alice album about Universal Monsters. Or even a concept album about Frankenstein.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:58 pm

Parish wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:29 pm
Alice's next uninspired rekkid should be cawled, "The Emperor's Clothes" cause apparently, he has legions of fans who won't call him out on anything...
I am not trying to gang up on you but this is what you have to understand....not everyone feels like you do. Here is the thing. When you are a fan of an artist, it is one thing to say this particular song doesn't work for me or this album doesn't do it for me. For example and I am a diehard fan but I don't care for Muscle of Love very much. I only like two songs on the entire album, I just don't think the songwriting is there on that particular album. In Alice's solo career, the production destroys Along Came a Spider for me. I hear the potential of the songs but most of it sounds the same because of the production. But when someone literally seems to hate every song in the last 50 years or most of them or every album in the last 50 years or most of them, that person's views are more of a "Get off my Lawn" mindset. They hate everything, they can't get past one era, we get it. There is nothing the artist can do that is ever going to please them because they aren't really a fan of a particular band, not really. Which obviously what someone likes or dislikes is their own business but it always amazes me that those that hate a band, a sports team, a politician, etc are the ones who tend to comment the most. If you hate something, you simply ignore it. You don't watch, you don't listen, etc. Those that live in the past, usually mean they are accomplishing nothing in the present and won't in the future. Peace.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:15 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:09 pm

Now I want a whole Alice album about Universal Monsters. Or even a concept album about Frankenstein.
LOL :rotfl: Something tells me you won't have to wait very long...

Frankenstein: "I've got size 60 socks and I'm ready to rock!"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:26 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:58 pm
Parish wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:29 pm
I am not trying to gang up on you but this is what you have to understand....not everyone feels like you do. Peace.
A lot of my anguish comes from the knowledge that the original members would LOVE to record an all-out brand new ACG album but can't get a straight answer or commitment from Vince or his handlers. This frustrates me as they are still alive and capable of knocking one out. Not a bread crumb (pun intended here) gig or a guest album spot but an equal all for one-one for all record. The fact that Dennis (and probably Neal and Michael) are still waiting for their copies of these 50th anniversary releases is an indication of how they are really respected by ReCoupe Enterprises. WTF is that?