Re: I'm Alice

Post by Mark Wahlberg » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:24 am

Good point!

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:21 am

Listened half a dozen times. It resembles Paranormal (song) in being something of a patchwork quilt, and unsure what it really wants to be. Alice's lyrics are topnotch, though his delivery is rather matter of fact in places. The short chorus is memorable; the rest of the song not so much. Cooper's semi-spoken parts are sort of Space Pirates-meets-the verse of AC/DC's Big Balls. Ezrin keeps Alice front & centre, so the arrangement is, thankfully, rather restrained. It's not 'killer', yet not filler either.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:54 am

After many listens, through speakers and headphones, I like the song and can see why it's an opener as it sets the scene, my only quibble is the production seems muddy, Alice is right up in the mix, but everything else is just thrown together in the background, which is a shame. I like the song's arrangement. Interested to hear the retread of Road Rats, though Magic Bus maybe a misstep, time will tell!

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:46 am

Whoa found it kind of rough to listen to. I think I'm getting spoiled listening to the reissues of "Killer" and "School's Out" albums sort of brought this tune down for me. I was trying to figure out what character's voice Alice was using in this one. Then it hit me it was a bit of his "I'm Flash" and "Space Pirates" from the "Fearless Flash Meets The Zorg Women" musical album. Some people wrote "Last Temptation" but I didn't hear that but I wish it was like that album. I hope these songs on the road aren't quickies and done without thought. I hope the rest is better. It's been a long time I actually loved a whole Alice Cooper album.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:56 am

I absolutely love it!! His voice is top-notch and the structure of the song is very unique. It does have a Last Temptation vibe to me, which is pleasing because that is one of my favorite albums. I can hear different Alice eras in this song as well. I’ve played it at least 20 times lol. I’m ready for Road!! :clap: :rock: :alice:
"I'm just another case…”

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:44 pm

Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:49 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:44 pm
Here's the USA link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C03rjH4nd9c
Funny, that one doesn't work for me in the UK.
Have they seriously region locked the video as well??? How silly. Just prevents people having access to it instead of spreading the word and publicising the album!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:51 pm

Si wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:49 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:44 pm
Here's the USA link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C03rjH4nd9c
Funny, that one doesn't work for me in the UK.
Have they seriously region locked the video as well??? How silly. Just prevents people having access to it instead of spreading the word and publicising the album!
Agreed. Probably a SNAFU. Hopefully they fix it soon.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:51 pm

I really like the song. I agree with people saying that there are The Last Temptation vibes, but it also reminds me a lot of Hello Hooray. It's clearly an intro song, but works as a standalone track too. It has more substance than I was first expecting from the comments. I don't love the backing vocals followed by the spoken word section, but I think they'll work better in the context of the album (much like a lot of the W2MN stuff can be a bit much on its own, but as a full album, it works).

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:27 pm

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:54 pm

Just listened to it, and I think it's ok. It feels alittle offbeat in places and somewhat hokey but that's part of it's charm. Maybe it'll grow on me...

As for the album, I'm going to be optimistic but VERY cautious. As I disliked evrything from Hollywood Vampires through Detroit Stories I'm expecting another retro feeling album. Maybe he's 'progressed' to going back to 1972?

I automatically don't give a damn about Magic Bus and Neo Road Rats. Like others have said: Alice should save the covers for the Vampires.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:08 pm

definite nods to Elected.

I like it quite a bit. Sounds like a grower, too.....bodes well imo

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:27 pm

It is interesting as a mate of mine is a huge alice fan like myself and he hates the new song, he thinks the music is basically good but alice's lyrics and delivery is just too campy.
I agree with him on the spoken word bit in the middle eight but largely i like his delivery (even if is voice is noticeably limited in its range)
i mean its definitely not top tier sort of 6/10 for me, but yeah my mate absolutely hates it! says its worse than this house is haunted (which is truly a dire song)

jettrainfan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by jettrainfan » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:27 am

Maybe it's just me, but I felt like it was overproduced. The lyrics grow on you, but it feels like the instrumental is tuned way too low. It's almost like the song is missing something. I'm sure if they did the song live, it would sound way better.

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Post by tommycooper » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:24 am

On first hearing Zorro's Ascent (drums) and You're A Movie (latter spoken section) sprung to mind. But I think this is a much better song than either of those! I guess this will be the first ever Alice album with no keyboards

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:38 am

jettrainfan wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:27 am
I'm sure if they did the song live, it would sound way better.
I think that's true of almost every song Alice has done in two decades! Such a shame so few ever made it to the show.

Type-O
Trash
Trash

Post by Type-O » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:48 am

I think this is the best AC song since, probably Hey Stoopid. I was very surprised. I dislike the lyrics but that might be a matter of taste. Really looking forward to the full album now, and that the first time that happened since Dragontown.

And the return of the You're a Movie-character is amazing.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:20 pm

Count me in the camp of it sounding like the instruments are turned down to low. Which was a surprise because all the hype was this album was going to be real guitar driven rock recorded with minimal takes. I know it’s only one cut and it seems like a good opener on what may be coming, but damn turn up the band. I mean you got three guitarists in the group. Sort of want to hear them.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:50 pm

This is terrible...just awful...and sad.
Alice has completely lost the ability to write a good song.
Once Vince flipped the switch and decided to be a "villian" instead of a legit musician everything has been sung as Snidley Whiplash instead of as the deranged lead singer of the Alice Cooper Group.

Remember him? The Coop?
You know....the one who actually put some work into the lyrics on albums like LITD, Killer, School's Out, B$B, Muscle Of Love...

Now its all about the money and not the craft.

Perhaps it should be changed to, "Remember the Recoup..."