Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:51 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:33 pm

I generally don't really care that much about lyrics, it's the music that counts. That may sound odd, but as much as I love Alice's *voice* most of the time I don't really care what the actual words are, unless they are really appalling or particularly good, that is.

My dad is the same way. He's been listening to some songs for 50 years and has no idea what they are about. Personally, while the music is the most important part, bad vocals or lyrics can quickly ruin a song. Goofy lyrics hurt some otherwise rocking AC/DC songs and the um distinctive vocals of Geddy Lee and Burke Shelly are why I can't listen to Rush or Budgie. Alice still sounds great, but it's the lyrics that kill this album for me. Mediocre, or in the case of ac/dc unintelligible lyrics are tolerable. It's when they're noticeably bad that it becomes a deal breaker. And Road is unfortunately full of those types of lyrics, imo.

I just said that the music is the most important factor, but Alice's "blackout" era albums are the exception that proves the rule; there are a lot of songs from those albums that probably wouldn't appeal to me if they weren't so strong lyrically. Dick Wagner's contributions also help a lot.

Of the people here who are really digging the album, how many of you fall in the "music is much more important than lyrics" category?

One more positive thing about "Road": my favorite part of the entire album is a 10 second stretch featuring dual guitars. Man, it sounds great. It starts at about 2:09. With three guitarists in the band I wish they would do more of this sort of thing. I would have loved to have heard Alice cover Detroit Rock City on Detroit Stories.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:51 pm

I am one who digs the album. I personally don’t think the lyrics are all that bad. A exception here and there but I don’t think it deserves the shellacking it gets by some. As for rock music, I buy something for the music over the lyrics. I really don’t care what Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or ACDC is saying. I care more about how they say it. A host of other hard rock acts fall into that category. If I’m in a mood for a troubadour story telling artist I pull out a John Hiat album or something along those lines. That said I much rather attend an Alice concert or Judas Priest concert to get my money’s worth. I also believe good lyrics and heavy music are not mutually exclusive. When it happens that’s great.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:01 pm

After the mediocre Along Came A Spider to Paranormal period (outside of 2 or 3 of the cuts from the ACG), this and Detroit Stories could be at least a respectable ending (if only that were the case). Nonetheless, that doesn't mean I think this is great. It's fine though.

I'm Alice and Welcome to the Show are decent enough to start the album. 100 More Miles is the best song Alice has released since When Hell Comes Home but is buried at the back of an album that is really tough to get that far through. As Si also pointed out, it's also a shame it was truncated to a 3 minute song, much in the same way Alice shortened the best part of his show a few years back with an abridged version of My Stars.

Go Away, All Over The World, and Big Boots are the only other potentially good songs on the album. While the songs bring great classic vibes, especially the great 70s british glam meets power-pop vibe of Big Boots, both are hampered by the the bass heavy, low end focused modern production, and those lyrics...abysmal. But unfortunately, a good lyric by Alice since his "Frankenstein" rebirth has been few and far between, so it's a welcome surprise when it does happen but never expected. The aforementioned When Hell Comes Home, Novocaine, and the Sharpest Pain being the only real standouts since Constrictor in my opinion.

The touring band's The Big Goodbye and Kane's Dead Don't Dance are just faceless, cliched stoner rock. Not sure why Morello was brought in at all. Assuming that was another ''brilliant'' Ezrin idea like having the drummer of U2 perform on Paranormal.

I personally think Alice, Roxie, and Garric could do a whole lot better with a different supporting cast and producer, especially if they added a lyricist and brought Zigzag back on keys, but I'd be in refrigerator heaven with Ethyl if I did that.

Atlanta Santa
Trash
Trash

Post by Atlanta Santa » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:57 pm

First spin... Only knew the first two songs, didn't read any reviews this time, no internet talk, didn't hear any snipets and...
I JUST LOVE ROAD!
Thanks Alice, Bob and Band!

This is the way. Approach the work of artists you care about with as little bias as possible. Don't let yourself be ruined in advance by some nobody on the internet. Ha, what now, you chatterboxes and music experts?
I got a job in atlanta in a mall playing santa

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:08 pm

Atlanta Santa wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:57 pm
First spin... Only knew the first two songs, didn't read any reviews this time, no internet talk, didn't hear any snipets and...
I JUST LOVE ROAD!
Thanks Alice, Bob and Band!

This is the way. Approach the work of artists you care about with as little bias as possible. Don't let yourself be ruined in advance by some nobody on the internet. Ha, what now, you chatterboxes and music experts?
Are you, by chance, anywhere near a mall?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:30 pm

This is my fav album since Brutal Planet so for me the master is back. Big Goodbye is a highlight and Dead Dont Dance gives me Sabbath "13" vibes. 100 More Miles is classic Alice.

In one way I am glad those songs where not teased as they are an ace suprise, in another they lead this album so should have been the 3 picks.

I also really like Baby please dont go....However am I the only one who thinks Alice sounds more Johnny Depp than Johnny Depp on that song? :rotfl:

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:54 pm

Just had my second listen through in the car with my wife and daughter. My daughter said she was suffering second hand embarassment. My wife agreed.

The only song that doesn’t make me cringe is The Big Goodbye. I don’t think I’ll be listening to this anymore.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:38 am

Well I like it more than Paranormal and Detroit Stories. As some others have said, there is a whiff of Eyes about it and I really Iiked that album as well. The Eyes production is a lot 'brighter' though which on balance I think I prefer. Not really too concerned about the lyrics at the moment as I just wanted decent rocking riffs and tunes and it delivers. Perhaps over a bit more time they might come more into focus. Back on track in my view after the previous wobbles. Really pleased the touring band got their opportunity but not totally convinced they got to stretch their legs and let rip.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:17 pm

I'm just finishing my 3rd listen and this album is fantastic. A huge step up from Detroit Stories, though perhaps not quite as good as Paranormal. The best song is, without question, The Big Goodbye. It's super heavy, but better than that, it's got some great hooks. It reminds me of Hanging On By A Thread from Detroit Stories. Other favourites are the 3 singles and 100 More Miles. I said this when the song previews came out, but I think this album is very even-keeled. The songs are all the same length, and other than Baby Please Don't Go and 100 More Miles, they're all pretty stylistically similar. As a result, the highs aren't as high as even Detroit Stories (which I consider to be a bad album that had some good songs), but the lows are nowhere near as low as on many Alice albums. I don't think this is bad at all, but I can see how it can make the album underwhelming to some on first listens.

On the topic of lyrics, I always say that good lyrics enhance a song, but bad lyrics have to be really bad to ruin a song. In other words, I generally don't care about lyrics, but Alice is one of the few exceptions because he's such a good lyricist. I was worried about the theme of Road because the singles made it seem like all of the songs would have identical lyrics, but I do think that problem is confined to the first few songs, and then it gets better as the record goes on. I love the 27-club reference on Rules of the Road. That's probably the most classic Alice humour on here.

I do think the concept, as it was initially presented, was failed quite a bit. The band doesn't really have enough songwriting credits on here, and I have a hard time believing that they were allowed as much freedom as they would have had on their own projects. I'm pretty down on Bob Ezrin's contributions to the Alice camp post-2011 (though it could just as easily be Alice's fault and I'm blaming the wrong person), but I really think it's time to move on from him.

In any case, I'm going to keep jamming this frequently. I think it's hard to judge it as an Alice Cooper album rather than "the new Alice Cooper album". Pick any random record, like Constrictor, Dragontown, or Zipper Catches Skin, and I think this fits in with them perfectly - a fun album with good songs that will be great to revisit over time. It doesn't have to be his best work to add to his discography.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:40 pm

Having listened to Road several times, here are my thoughts:

- Its a good album, but not a great one. The 3-4 minute song format is effective for some, but others like 100 More Miles - I agree, it could have been stretched out a bit more.

- The humour on some of the tracks doesn’t bother me. Generally, they are catchy and there is a good flow to the structure overall given the theme of the album. I do think Big Boots could have been reworked as lyrically it’s a bit too basic, but I guess that was done on purpose for a song like this.

- As a whole. I think the album is best listened collectively. It flows quite well and because the band was involved throughout, there is a cohesiveness to it all that I felt was missing from DS. When songs are too different in style, I feel a disconnect when listening to the album as a whole and I’m less likely to revisit as many times.

- Overall, I give Road a 7.7/10. Some strong riffs, and it is above average, with a good structure of songs overall. But unfortunately, the time limitations on some of them that should have been meant to be drawn out - leave more to be desired. I agree, let the band play! A great example of this is Ozzy’s Patient Number 9. There is some great guitar work throughout as well, but you truly can hear more of the potential realized. 100 More Miles should have been at least 5ish minutes.

I think I will be coming back to this one a lot more than DS and Paranormal though.

It would be great if the next album (that seems to be likely with the ACG Group), has longer songs and ones that have that vaudeville theme to them. Alice did say that it will be more “creepy” in nature, which I’m looking forward to. I don’t think Alice will be experimenting with other types of music styles like he did with BP and FTF. He seems comfortable with the garage rock style, with Ezrin staying at the helm until the end of his career. It makes sense, as it does provide a nice bookend and given Ezrin was integral part of the magic, I don’t have an issue. I just wish the latest albums reached a bit higher to the potential they are meant for. I’m not looking for the second coming of Killer or Welcome to my Nightmare at this stage in Alice’s career, but something closer to the creativity of those songs would be very much welcomed. I do think this will happen in the next one with the old band back in the fold. There will be more say from the band.

But overall, I’m pleased with Road. I hope the next one will reach higher though. Perhaps if they want to make fans think it will be a true ACG album, they should call it Trillion Dollar Babies, especially given inflation. 😆 But a whole new theme would be welcomed as well.

I’m just glad we continue to get new albums from Alice. He doesn’t owe anyone anything, and he could do what Twisted Sister and KISS did and just tour. So for that, I’m grateful.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:15 pm

I held out little hope for Road. I was wrong. It's a cartoon-like, bubblegum rock, pinhead blast. Homer Simpson-meets-Spinal Tap. Whoo Hoo & turn it all the way up to eleven. Lyrically, in parts, it's supremely stoopid; and 'offensive'. But then isn't that the whole point of Alice? As AC/DC almost said: Do the 'bad taste' boogie.

Ezrin doesn't over-do the polishings. It's a shame, though, that he doesn't let the band fully stretch out, as what we do get from them fizzes with raw, high octane, energy. Alice sounds - for the most part - in top-notch vocal form. There are some seriously catchy tunes here; and great stonking riffs. A few thoughts on the songs:

The two openers have grown on me, although WLF hasn't.....yet. Big Boots channels Benny Hill; with some sassy Stones strut. Pathetic, leering, sexist juvenalia? Yes; but that's its brief. Go Away has a killer riff. All Over The World is a glam-slam stomper. Love the rumbling, churning, Sabbath-like Dead Don't Dance. Rules Of The Road is an hilariously insensitive butt-shaker. Alice puts on his best caddish sneer for The Big Goodbye. The band have a blitzkrieg bop of a riff here.

Baby Please Don't Go
is a well-constructed slice of sincerity. I wish Alice hadn't broken character though; it muddies the waters, lyrically. Road Rats & Magic Bus are somewhat superfluous, although both rock out energetically. Sobel's drum solo feels artifically jammed on though; doesn't work at all. The wonderfully off-kilter 100 More Miles should have ended the album, and its downbeat weariness ought to have been turned into a soaring epic by the band. A missed opportunity.

Overall, then, Road's primal punchiness knocks the last three Ezrin-produced mediocrities into the proverbial cocked hat. Entertainment-wise I think it's Cooper's best album since Brutal Planet; offence and all.

steve
Trash
Trash

Post by steve » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:41 am

Bought Love it to Death when it came out . Been a diehard ever since . The new album has moments of brilliance and not so brilliant but no one can sing a song like Alice does - the musicians are top notch . I'm just glad he's still going strong . When will they start playing some of the new songs on tour ???

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:14 pm

superb, as expected
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:24 pm

In at #3 on midweek UK album chart.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:42 pm

been listening twice now : really like the album .
Rules of the road situated somewhere between Holy Water and I love America..but it's ok.
I like the ballad more than Salvation or Something to Remember me by.
Interesting quote from Si about the lyrics : must admit that, being a non-native englisch speaking fan, a lot of lyrics only became clear thanks to the internet. So the sound and global feeling of the music were at the time more important than those lyrics...
you really wouldn't understand..

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:32 pm

I think the album turned out better than I feared after the snippets. I too think the lyrics are far beyond bad too often but that's not very important to me. I too would have liked to see much more room for the band in the mix and the structure of the songs and that in turn would have called for longer tracks. But on the whole it's a solid effort, even if it feels a bit of a lost opportunity. I resist the urge to bitch about Ezrin.

Much better than Paranormal and on a completely different level than DS and BC.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:25 pm

I was waiting for the vinyl to arrive before giving my opinion. Amazon failed to deliver so I ended up cancelling and going to HMV instead.
I know you are holding your breath waiting for my critique so here goes.
The main failings for me is that the album is lacking diversity. 'I'm Alice ' is a mid tempo rocker where Alice tells us how great it is to be Alice, with a talking session, followed by the guitar solo. Really cheesie lyrics.
'Welcome to the show' another rocker that sounds like a Kiss song. And that is NOT a compliment. Alice telling us how great it is to be Alice with another talking section, followed by a generic shredding solo.
"All over the world " Alice telling us how great is to tour the world as Alice.
The dead don't dance. A harder song where Alice tells us how horrible it would be if he wasn't Alice. More generic solo.
Just go away..another rocker with a horrible shredding solo although I like the rhythm on this one.
Apart from the motley crue chorus I like WLF because it's about a character. Someone who is part of the tour with a story to tell.
Big boots is like an AC/DC song lyrically. I think they missed an opportunity to make it a duet ala patty donaghue on zipper. That would have at least mixed things up a bit. Side 3 is three more similar rockers. All pretty decent, especially ' the big goodbye'. But still a bit samey.
Side 4 really picks up and, for me, shows what this album could have been. I like this version of road rats, I also like magic bus. I Don't have a problem with Alice doing cover versions..the stones, who Zeppelin, Bowie..have all done it, and this is a great version. I don't mind the drum solo, at least its something different, Not another shredding solo. But 'please don't go' and especially '100 more miles' are stand out tracks. Why they are stuck together at the back of the album beggars belief. This is what I was looking for. More tracks telling us what goes on behind the curtain. Some intimate tales like from the inside. I enjoy Alice rocking out...I actually like most of the songs on here but where is the diversity? Where is the ' mary anne' ' this house is haunted ' 'steven ' some folks' 'crazy little child' 'blue turk'...and on and on? To me Detroit stories is a far superior album for this reason. Alice cooper, to me, about great rockers mixed with blues based rock, mixed with a bit of jazz and some real leftfield quirkiness. I want harmonica, sax, clever wordplay. I would give this 6/10 and will revisit it off and on but its in the middle category. A reasonable album but a missed opportunity.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:54 pm

cracking Hellfest set too.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:08 am

dadascot wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:25 pm
I was waiting for the vinyl to arrive before giving my opinion. Amazon failed to deliver so I ended up cancelling and going to HMV instead.
I know you are holding your breath waiting for my critique so here goes.
The main failings for me is that the album is lacking diversity. 'I'm Alice ' is a mid tempo rocker where Alice tells us how great it is to be Alice, with a talking session, followed by the guitar solo. Really cheesie lyrics.
'Welcome to the show' another rocker that sounds like a Kiss song. And that is NOT a compliment. Alice telling us how great it is to be Alice with another talking section, followed by a generic shredding solo.
"All over the world " Alice telling us how great is to tour the world as Alice.
The dead don't dance. A harder song where Alice tells us how horrible it would be if he wasn't Alice. More generic solo.
Just go away..another rocker with a horrible shredding solo although I like the rhythm on this one.
Apart from the motley crue chorus I like WLF because it's about a character. Someone who is part of the tour with a story to tell.
Big boots is like an AC/DC song lyrically. I think they missed an opportunity to make it a duet ala patty donaghue on zipper. That would have at least mixed things up a bit. Side 3 is three more similar rockers. All pretty decent, especially ' the big goodbye'. But still a bit samey.
Side 4 really picks up and, for me, shows what this album could have been. I like this version of road rats, I also like magic bus. I Don't have a problem with Alice doing cover versions..the stones, who Zeppelin, Bowie..have all done it, and this is a great version. I don't mind the drum solo, at least its something different, Not another shredding solo. But 'please don't go' and especially '100 more miles' are stand out tracks. Why they are stuck together at the back of the album beggars belief. This is what I was looking for. More tracks telling us what goes on behind the curtain. Some intimate tales like from the inside. I enjoy Alice rocking out...I actually like most of the songs on here but where is the diversity? Where is the ' mary anne' ' this house is haunted ' 'steven ' some folks' 'crazy little child' 'blue turk'...and on and on? To me Detroit stories is a far superior album for this reason. Alice cooper, to me, about great rockers mixed with blues based rock, mixed with a bit of jazz and some real leftfield quirkiness. I want harmonica, sax, clever wordplay. I would give this 6/10 and will revisit it off and on but its in the middle category. A reasonable album but a missed opportunity.

First half of your review had me laughing out loud! Brilliant!

If he was truthful about Road today it would probably be songs about making sure he takes his metamucil, whether to try the oatmeal or the prunes for breakfast and how many holes ( Not Waitress Ones ) he can get in on the golf course on his days off between shows.

The Band! Well, all the firing on all cylinder fans seem to be disappointed. Based on the evidence here they are no more than a very solid heritage backing band for a singer singing pretty old songs. There's not a killer riff or to be a honest a great solo between them. I doubt whether longer songs would make a difference or not though might break up the monotony. To be honest if AI was used to make an Alice Cooper album today it probably wouldn't sound that different to Road.

100 More Miles is THE song on the album ( though could do with a bit of a rewrite ) and I don't believe Ezrin or Alice know it. It could have been the great closer. It certainly could have been fleshed out as others have pointed out.

Zombiedancer
Trash
Trash

Post by Zombiedancer » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:32 am

I had really low expectations for this album… I wasn’t a fan of W2MN, Paranormal or DS. When I heard the singles I was also underwhelmed… but the when I put the album on for the first time I became more excited with each song. For me, this is the best album he’s done since Dirty Diamonds. I think this album grows on you and after several listens, I don’t think this album has any turds on it. Can’t wait to hear that second album he was working on that’s hopefully coming out in 2024 🤞!