Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by VinceLeeRose » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:24 pm

Pitta wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:20 pm
I just meant whoever is behind making these decisions, which I’m assuming is someone at earMusic. Alice probably doesn’t even know Road is including the DVD/blu ray
A friend of mine made an interview with Alice in 2000 and he told me, that he asked him about the sequence of the songs on the Brutal Planet album. He didn't even knew about it.
[/quote]

Was he asking why they were in a different order on the promo cd? I thought I had heard at one time the promo cd was the original order and the record company rearranged it. I always thought the final release had a better flow

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:42 pm

Yes he asked it exactly. He didn't knew that the final relase had a different order. It's not his business after the recording.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:32 pm

Pitta wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:42 pm
Yes he asked it exactly. He didn't knew that the final relase had a different order. It's not his business after the recording.
:bam: Jesus...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:36 pm

Parish wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:32 pm
Pitta wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:42 pm
:bam: Jesus...
Agreed. It's in the Lords hands.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:46 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:36 pm

Agreed. It's in the Lords hands.
:clap:

I was thinking of "Some Folks" today regarding the repetitive nature of AC's current same ol', same ol' song structure.
How unique it was...how it just made you immediately focus.
I play keyboards and can come up with a "riff" in a minute and add it to any one of the three duds he just released and it would improve them immensely.

I also have a few songs that would be PERFECT for this record - one ironically called, "Hit and Run" but alas it's too late to save this apparent Titanic (overture) of a failure.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:57 pm

I’m now waiting patiently until I get my copy before I listen to anything else. To me, it’s already better than DS so it’s heading in the right direction.

Here’s another review.

https://metalplanetmusic.com/2023/08/al ... oper-road/

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:18 pm

Having listened to the songs multiple times now, I have to say welcome to the show is growing on me. The music is energetic and the song overall is fun excl the narrated part. I'm Alice is not horrible, but white line has no redeeming features for me. Still the theme is annoying over three songs already ...

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:26 pm

https://youtu.be/kk4r40rwhBA

Official pre-listening

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:37 pm

Pitta wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:26 pm

Official pre-listening
Sounds wicked! I think this is going to be his most "samey" album since TEOAC, but I think the songs will really click after a few listens. There was one song (The Big Goodbye) that sounded pretty heavy too.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:50 pm

Spiner202 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:37 pm
Pitta wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:26 pm

Official pre-listening
Sounds wicked! I think this is going to be his most "samey" album since TEOAC, but I think the songs will really click after a few listens. There was one song (The Big Goodbye) that sounded pretty heavy too.
I had the same feeling. Thy lyrics are pretty weak, but the songs are better then the last couple of albums and there are some really heavy songs there. It's not so polished and his voice is natural. I like this stuff, except the lyrics.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:24 pm

If anything can be taken away from this, it’s the idea that the slow trickle of teasers and songs can be counterproductive. Call me old school, but I’d be willing to wager that a silent release would be better for everyone. There has been a lot of negativity here, and it may wind up hurting sales. I’m looking forward to discovering this whole album when it arrives. Here’s hoping that the negative comments are overwhelmingly discredited.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:03 pm

There were always singles in the album era, whether they are released before the LP, or after. They are there to entice you to buy. For example, I remember hearing "Killer Queen" playing on the radio as a lad, and loving it, "Hey I got to get that album when it comes out!" even though I'd never bought a Queen LP before that. And when I think on it, the records I bought because of the singles, makes for a long list (even from artists I was long familiar with (Lennon's "Walls and Bridges" after hearing the first 2 singles)

Releasing a track can be counterproductive, sure, but only if it doesn't grab listeners. In the case of Road, for me personally, yeah, my shoulders have sagged with each song. On the other hand, Detroit Stories drew me in. I wasn't on forums, or in the know (I was off doing other things), but I stumbled upon the vid for "Our Love Will Change the World" and went "Wait, what's this, I like this" and I went out and searched to find what CD it was attached to. Then "Social Debris" reenforced that desire to get the release.

I've always bought Cooper's studio releases and that won't change here. But I can't lie and say I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. What I'm holding on to is that this will be one of those that'll grow on me over time. Maybe not a classic, but at least something I can enjoy on some level. But let's be honest, that's miles away from when I first heard "No Mr. Nice Guy" and I about took a leap over the moon, it was a complete, lightning through the brain, holy crap, I need that LP now! Type of reaction.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:59 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:24 pm
If anything can be taken away from this, it’s the idea that the slow trickle of teasers and songs can be counterproductive. Call me old school, but I’d be willing to wager that a silent release would be better for everyone. There has been a lot of negativity here, and it may wind up hurting sales. I’m looking forward to discovering this whole album when it arrives. Here’s hoping that the negative comments are overwhelmingly discredited.
I think you are delusional if you think a few people here are going to play a role in sales. I think it's hurting you that a few of us have not been impressed by the three songs so far and in all likelihood it's not going to be the magnum opus from the band you like to tout as " firing on all cylinders ".

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:26 pm

That’s a good point about lead singles. Still, I think it’s a far cry from :30 second teasers and lyrics to every single song. Yes, it’s the new age, and that’s “what the kids want.” Screw them. As far as hurting sales, yes, I believe that some folks may shy away from buying based on the vitriolic response from his core fans. Believe it or not, words do have an effect. If the new album was to be highly regarded by his vocal fans, then that response could likely have a positive effect on sales. Why is the opposite not true? I am firm in my belief that maybe next time, let’s not give away the cow hoping to sell some milk. Or grape jelly. Whatever.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:48 am

Dannorama wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:26 pm
That’s a good point about lead singles. Still, I think it’s a far cry from :30 second teasers and lyrics to every single song. Yes, it’s the new age, and that’s “what the kids want.” Screw them. As far as hurting sales, yes, I believe that some folks may shy away from buying based on the vitriolic response from his core fans. Believe it or not, words do have an effect. If the new album was to be highly regarded by his vocal fans, then that response could likely have a positive effect on sales. Why is the opposite not true? I am firm in my belief that maybe next time, let’s not give away the cow hoping to sell some milk. Or grape jelly. Whatever.
Well if that was true, then Detroit Stories would have never gotten to its #1 status cause so many of the "die hards" hated it...I loved it and glad it got to #1 and I love everything so far with Road...can't wait until Friday
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:57 pm

I wasn't going to listen to the samples, but temptation got the better of me. A few songs have potential, but I'm pretty disappointed with what I've heard so far. If it wasn't for the bonus dvd I'd probably skip this album. The quality of the lyrics is surprisingly bad. I don't think I can say that about any other Alice album.

That "Big Boots" song is going to make "Thrill My Gorilla" sound like "School's Out."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:30 pm

Several points here. You can't really compare releasing a single back in the day to the way the music business is in 2023. At one time, when people actually paid for music singles matter. An artist was hoping to get radio airplay which could push the sales of an album. Now, none of that matters that much. Few people buy albums (I still do but I am talking about the masses) and it is virtually impossible to get radio airplay for new music especially older artists. Think about it, when was the last time Alice got a lot of radio airplay for a new single and one of the few places you could hear some new Alice was his Nights With Alice Cooper radio show which is ending in September!

With the new album, three singles have been released within a very short period of time and basically lyric videos. I get bands doing the lyric videos because one they aren't likely to get radio airplay and two, a true music video cost a lot of money but the problem is so many bands are giving away the store. Three singles before an album even comes out? Even if you like the songs, you have heard so much of it already is that an enticement to buy the album? And in this case and yes I have the album preordered and will never not buy a new Alice album, but a lot of people are kind of "Meh" on all three of the songs already released. Had you released only one single, say a month before the album comes out I think you would still have a little more excitement. And now you can hear a 30 second snippet of ALL the songs. While 30 seconds is a limited amount of time to digest a song, you basically know exactly what the album is going to sound like and frankly the entire album sounds the same to me.

I know this is long but I think the bottom line for some of us is we were all excited to hear an album with the current touring band. They are my favorite lineup ever for Alice but these songs sound like anyone could be playing them which is what has plagued recent Alice albums as well. Nita Strauss new album is terrific, Chuck's Beasto Blanco stuff is really good, Ryan Roxie has put out some good stuff (check out the album he did with the Electric Angels many years ago, excellent), Tommy's resume speaks for itself. In other words, they are more than capable songwriters but I have to think and I know he is a legend, Bob Ezrin's production and frankly gutting of the songs has taken the "band" out of their own songs.

Final point here. When I hear the track Alice did with Nita Strauss, "Winner Takes All", not only is the song nice and heavy and you can hear Nita shredding but Alice's vocals are spot on and powerful. Great stuff and you have to wonder why that is missing so much on the newer Alice material?

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:27 pm

cooperrocks: I agree with you in part. I'm not sure that releasing snippets of an entire album is a good idea. A couple of full-length advanced tracks is fine though. It's really the only way to promote an album without airplay. The problem is that you need good songs for your "single" and I'm not sure this album is going to have one really strong standout track. On a related note, I really really hated buying an album back in the day on the strength of an awesome single only to find that the rest of the album sucked.

Oh, and I also agree with you in thinking that Alice's collaboration with Nita on her album is closer to what I was expecting to hear on at least some of the tracks on Road.

My initial impression of the pre release tracks and snippets:

100 More Miles: just a hunch, but this might turn out to be my favorite track on the album.

White Line Frankenstein: I like the music. Lyrics are "meh." Probably be good live.

Go Away: Haven't heard enough to make a judgment. Could be good. It puts me in mind of the Eyes of Alice Cooper album.

Dead Don't Dance: might be ok musically but the lyrics aren't very good.

The Big Goodbye: Music sounds... ok. They lyrics are kinda dull. There's a chance it could be ok, Need to hear more.

Negative impressions:

Road Rats Forever: I'm not a fan of the original and this sounds like more of the same. Not exactly bad, but it feels like it should be a B side on a single or a fan club give-away or something.

Baby Please Don't Go: Sometimes it feels like Alice feels obligated to include at least one ballad per album. I really wish he didn't.

Magic Bus: I am a big fan of many of Alice's cover songs. I need to hear more before I make a judgment, but it's not a good fit for the band, imo.

I'm Alice, Welcome To The Show, and All Over The World are pretty cheesy, but nothing prepared me for how lame Rules Of The Road sounds. It's not the worst song on the album though. That "honor" belongs to...

Big Boots: Wretched.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:07 am

My point with the singles from the past, wasn't about the business side of it, I'm aware that has changed. The point was that you start with a song. I didn't just pop into a record store in the 70s and randomly grab an Alice Cooper album. I heard parts of it first and was drawn to it.

That's true of any act, then or now.

Whether it was a DJ playing a hit song (or an album cut, as was the case for one late night show, in the 70s I liked, on an FM station), or a friend lending you a record, or spending time at a store's listening stations or watching MTV back in the day. Somehow, someway, a song got into your ears first (though I have been tempted to just buy something, without knowing anything about it, just for kicks).

Over time you'll have acts you feel you can count on, and you'll buy without knowing one thing about it. With Alice I remember Zipper and later, DaDa just being there on the shelves one day. By that time, I didn't need to hear a single note, I bought them anyway. But how do you draw in people that aren't die-hards, how do you reach out in this modern, changing environment? Give 'em a song, bank on it grabbing them. Maybe they buy a physical or digital copy, maybe they stream on Spotify, etc.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:47 am

The challenge is audience reach and, like it or not, the answer is streaming and therefore algorithms, specifically the recommendations or selections they make to listeners based on either a single song’s streaming profile or the changing streaming profile of the artist.

In many ways recommendation categories are the new record shops with the difference being that they come to you through your screen.

If an artist can create a changing profile off enough streams of a new single then the single starts to appear on more people’s recommendations category. If the combined streams of two or three tracks in a short period can create a change in profile for the artist overall then it also triggers more recommendations for less frequent listeners. More streams = more recommendations for you and others. A ripple effect. Nobody sees it happening but it does, all the time.

It’s exactly the same principle for search engines and YouTube i.e. the more clicks you do on Alice the greater profile elsewhere where people are clicking less frequently.

Artists have always needed the ripple effect to get to new listeners and make an impact and that nearly always starts with the core fans as they are alert to new releases and start the process. So, in simple terms, any change in listening or viewing profile is recorded and has a knock on impact to others. The algorithm is king but you absolutely do have an invisible impact on others with everything you do, you just don’t see it.