“Road,” August 25, 2023

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Well, I have to say that I don't really care for the first three tracks. "I'm Alive" is pretty cheesy. "Welcome To The Show" is generic. I really don't like the backup singing. I do like the music to "White Line Frankenstein," but the lyrics aren't very interesting. It might make a good live track.

My expectations for the album are pretty low now. I think it was a mistake to have a themed album, Or at least one about this subject anyway. So far the lyrics have been pedestrian without any of the classic Alice wit. Two or three songs about life on the road is one thing, but an entire album may be overkill.

I'm also surprised that his current band would create music like this; it's like you mix a metal guy, a shredder girl, a pop rock guy and somehow there sound comes out as generic rock? I don't know. I just expected something different.

Maybe it will grow on me.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:06 pm

Like the new song. Straight up rock n roll. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Post by mkayers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:21 pm

I like the music on these songs, it's the cheesy lyrics I'm getting tired of. Ok we got it, the top hat, the black eye makeup, the scariest guy ever. Let's go back to something different. Kinda like Ace Frehley & everything he does has to do with being a spaceman.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:31 pm

@bigbradwolf

There are times, when a songwriter hits a creative wall. When they repeat themselves, they found their groove and they stay there. Musically, lyrically. (it's happened with me, when I was doing my music thing, so you know, been there, battled with that, the blocks, the wall, etc)

And you don't need to be 75 and in the business for decades, it can happen to an artist after their 3rd or 4th album - they become predictable, cookie cutter, when I listen to that certain singer/songwriter's 3rd or 4th CD I know exactly where they are going melody wise, chord progression wise. It becomes boring to listen to them because it's the same thing over and over again. It's like watching a hamster on a wheel, round and round and round, doing the same thing, and going nowhere. So, let's call what I'm hearing on Road, hamster rock.

Now how do you get out of that? Maybe you bring in some fresh blood that'll push you, like McCartney did when worked with Nigel Godrich on "Chaos and Creation" - It was still Paul and his sound, but he was challenged by Godrich, so you heard a return of Paul at his peak.

Alice has done this over the decades, worked with a variety of songwriters and producers - who can sometimes (not always) produce magic - where I'm listening and let's say I expect him to do the usual right turn at the chorus or bridge or whatever... but instead he takes a left. He surprises me, and I'm not yawning anymore, because he's shook me awake.

Or maybe going back turns the trick, teaming up with old bandmates, it might be rare, but it can happen - Devo with "Something for Everybody", or Billy Idol getting back together with guitarist Steve Stevens and producer Keith Forsey to record his best album in ages (Devil's Playground). They tap into something special again. The same, but somehow fresh, exciting.

But these 3 tracks, I'm listening and I'm like a cheering section at a game "Come on Alice, wow me, surprise me, electrify me, just do something that gives me a jolt." But by the end, eh, it's hamster rock.

Alice is in this lane, and it's become diminishing returns for me.
Last edited by Agrophile in Texas on Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:32 pm

mkayers wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:21 pm
I like the music on these songs, it's the cheesy lyrics I'm getting tired of. Ok we got it, the top hat, the black eye makeup, the scariest guy ever.
I kinda think that maybe after deciding every song would be about life on the road AC kinda backed himself into a corner as there's only so much you can say about it in song. After all, being on the road with a band is by definition very repetitive! Apart from the 90 minutes on stage it is VERY DULL! I mean, you COULD still come up with some cool stories based around incidents (real or not - worked on FTI) but that so far doesn't seem to be what's happened.

I think the idea of giving the current band an album is long overdue, but they seem to have been lumbered with a concept that is, to be honest, a bit naff... and not very "Alice Cooper". How can you write a classic Cooper-esque song when you stuck talking about driving endlessly down highways in a bus or preparing for shows?

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:36 pm

Cracking new single.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 pm

I will state what I have said multiple times. I love Alice's entire career and actually generally prefer his solo albums to the original band so I feel like I am somewhat objective when it comes to an album because I am not stuck on one era but it pains me to say this album is not working for me. Don't get me wrong, I have it preordered and I own every Alice album so maybe it will grow on me but I have several thoughts so far.

First, they have put out three songs rather quickly. It seems like when you get too many new songs sometimes you can destroy any momentum for an album. Second, I agree with others, I think the theme of the Road maybe should have been reexamined. As I listened to "Welcome to the Show" and yet another song about the road I realized that concept was already played out for me and then it occurred to me there are 8 more songs about...the same thing. To me the only way that works is sort of the way "From the Inside" was done. All the songs were about a different character Alice met during his stay when he was seeking treatment in the late 70s. If there several songs about a character they met on the road, a road experience that made for a fun or exciting story, etc then you have something.

I will say of the three songs I have heard so far, this one is my favorite but here lies the problem. There still is too much of a "sameness" to it. I really think the garage sound is played out and has been for a while. The issue here is anyone could be playing these songs. The current band is so talented and I had hoped they would be allowed to shine but it is like it was Detroit Stories or Paranormal, anyone could be playing those songs. With the current band (or for that matter the album recorded with the original guys) you have to let people be themselves and set no rules.

The songs have a very generic feel to them and I realize Alice has said in interviews you can't really shock audiences anymore. I get that but consider something like Brutal Planet. Alice sounded angry and talked about the ways of the world and things that could be coming, much of which has played out. Though, as a whole, it was a little bit more of a serious album, and technically wasn't "shock rock" it was still a thought provoking, dark album. Something an Alice fan could appreciate Alice doing lyrically. These lyrics frankly have more of a parody feel without much dark humor. It isn't terrible by any stretch but it doesn't particularly rock and it is very generic and safe.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:02 pm

Holy acrimony! This is not directed at anyone specifically, but… Geez! All of this bitching sounds selfish to me. Maybe it’s as simple as this - He has drifted away from being the rock star that “you” want, and into the rock star that “he” wants. Whatever happened to being a fan? These are good times, and I am grateful to have new music to look forward to. Not everyone can say that, right Kiss fans?
Last edited by Dannorama on Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:10 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 pm
I will state what I have said multiple times. I love Alice's entire career and actually generally prefer his solo albums to the original band so I feel like I am somewhat objective when it comes to an album because I am not stuck on one era but it pains me to say this album is not working for me.
I am 65 years old and my first concert was the B$B tour when I was 15.
These three songs are lazy, amateurish and just plain boring.
I haven't bought anything from "camp" Alice since Welcome 2 My Nightmare (and I hated that) because of these same tired symptoms.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:27 pm

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:31 pm
@bigbradwolf

There are times, when a songwriter hits a creative wall. When they repeat themselves, they found their groove and they stay there. Musically, lyrically. (it's happened with me, when I was doing my music thing, so you know, been there, battled with that, the blocks, the wall, etc)

And you don't need to be 75 and in the business for decades, it can happen to an artist after their 3rd or 4th album - they become predictable, cookie cutter, when I listen to that certain singer/songwriter's 3rd or 4th CD I know exactly where they are going melody wise, chord progression wise. It becomes boring to listen to them because it's the same thing over and over again. It's like watching a hamster on a wheel, round and round and round, doing the same thing, and going nowhere. So, let's call what I'm hearing on Road, hamster rock.

Now how do you get out of that? Maybe you bring in some fresh blood that'll push you, like McCartney did when worked with Nigel Godrich on "Chaos and Creation" - It was still Paul and his sound, but he was challenged by Godrich, so you heard a return of Paul at his peak.

Alice has done this over the decades, worked with a variety of songwriters and producers - who can sometimes (not always) produce magic - where I'm listening and let's say I expect him to do the usual right turn at the chorus or bridge or whatever... but instead he takes a left. He surprises me, and I'm not yawning anymore, because he's shook me awake.

Or maybe going back turns the trick, teaming up with old bandmates, it might be rare, but it can happen - Devo with "Something for Everybody", or Billy Idol getting back together with guitarist Steve Stevens and producer Keith Forsey to record his best album in ages (Devil's Playground). They tap into something special again. The same, but somehow fresh, exciting.

But these 3 tracks, I'm listening and I'm like a cheering section at a game "Come on Alice, wow me, surprise me, electrify me, just do something that gives me a jolt." But by the end, eh, it's hamster rock.

Alice is in this lane, and it's become diminishing returns for me.
I hear ya!

Some very good points made. I have mentioned it before - I don't think it would hurt Alice to move away from Ezrin.

I can see why a lot of fans have dismissed the last few albums and I don't think it does Alice any favours when he then doesn't play them live. The last albums he released where he toured them was Brutal Planet/Dragontown/Eyes and Dirty Diamonds and there is an argument to suggest those were his best recent albums.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:32 pm

after all this unexpected criticism, I quickly went through the lyrics kindly provided by Si . Know what ? it all ain't that bad, it's not contineously repeating itself...
But of course, if you want to stay in the character, obviously , given the long history, some expressions, sentences will sound (too?)familiar, but hey, it is still Alice.
(The one time imo he stayed too much and too rigid in the theme , was with ACAS..)
And there is a place for criticism, sure , but sometimes comments are way too negative. Maybe we should have the comments split in a new thread ( so that you will be prepared to what you're reading !) : reasons why I don't like AC (anymore...) ?
you really wouldn't understand..

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:34 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 pm
I will state what I have said multiple times. I love Alice's entire career and actually generally prefer his solo albums to the original band so I feel like I am somewhat objective when it comes to an album because I am not stuck on one era but it pains me to say this album is not working for me. Don't get me wrong, I have it preordered and I own every Alice album so maybe it will grow on me but I have several thoughts so far.

First, they have put out three songs rather quickly. It seems like when you get too many new songs sometimes you can destroy any momentum for an album. Second, I agree with others, I think the theme of the Road maybe should have been reexamined. As I listened to "Welcome to the Show" and yet another song about the road I realized that concept was already played out for me and then it occurred to me there are 8 more songs about...the same thing. To me the only way that works is sort of the way "From the Inside" was done. All the songs were about a different character Alice met during his stay when he was seeking treatment in the late 70s. If there several songs about a character they met on the road, a road experience that made for a fun or exciting story, etc then you have something.

I will say of the three songs I have heard so far, this one is my favorite but here lies the problem. There still is too much of a "sameness" to it. I really think the garage sound is played out and has been for a while. The issue here is anyone could be playing these songs. The current band is so talented and I had hoped they would be allowed to shine but it is like it was Detroit Stories or Paranormal, anyone could be playing those songs. With the current band (or for that matter the album recorded with the original guys) you have to let people be themselves and set no rules.

The songs have a very generic feel to them and I realize Alice has said in interviews you can't really shock audiences anymore. I get that but consider something like Brutal Planet. Alice sounded angry and talked about the ways of the world and things that could be coming, much of which has played out. Though, as a whole, it was a little bit more of a serious album, and technically wasn't "shock rock" it was still a thought provoking, dark album. Something an Alice fan could appreciate Alice doing lyrically. These lyrics frankly have more of a parody feel without much dark humor. It isn't terrible by any stretch but it doesn't particularly rock and it is very generic and safe.
It has been discussed on here already but it's absolutely bang on. Alice has always had this obsession about concept albums. 'Road' is going down a route of limitations as far as lyrics go. I suspect this is only to get painfully worse when we all listen to the album.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:47 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:34 pm

'Road' is going down a route of limitations as far as lyrics go. I suspect this is only to get painfully worse when we all listen to the album.
Perhaps Alice will include a hidden track describing his current songwriting prowess entitled, "Road Kill"

From "Under My Wheels" to this collection of mutated crud... :rotfl:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:10 pm

patrick wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:32 pm
after all this unexpected criticism, I quickly went through the lyrics kindly provided by Si . Know what ? it all ain't that bad, it's not contineously repeating itself...
But of course, if you want to stay in the character, obviously , given the long history, some expressions, sentences will sound (too?)familiar, but hey, it is still Alice.
(The one time imo he stayed too much and too rigid in the theme , was with ACAS..)
And there is a place for criticism, sure , but sometimes comments are way too negative. Maybe we should have the comments split in a new thread ( so that you will be prepared to what you're reading !) : reasons why I don't like AC (anymore...) ?

I don't think the criticism was unexpected. Some people here will take anything he does but because he set the bar so high in the past others expect more. Nothing wrong with that.

I"m guessing it's hard to keep coming up with the goods but someone needs to be able to tell Alice to try something a little different than what is being served up. He doesn't play his later stuff live so what is there to lose?

For what it's worth the criticism here has been fair and thought out. An album written and ( partially ) recorded on the road is not a bad idea. As Si said, writing 12 new songs about the road not so much. Do we need a redo of Road Rats? Do we need a Frankenstein No 3 song? Do we need a ( another ) cover: Magic Bus?

Maybe those who get hurt be the criticism should just block the people they don't like.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:19 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:10 pm

I"m guessing it's hard to keep coming up with the goods but someone needs to be able to tell Alice to try something a little different than what is being served up. He doesn't play his later stuff live so what is there to lose?
It's very reminiscent of today's Republican party...not rockin' the boat so we can keep our jobs.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:23 pm

I'm sorry folks are stung by what they see as negativity. But criticism goes with the job, Alice knows this, everyone who's ever done anything creative professionally know this. You develop a thick skin about it.

And does being a sick thing require that I become a twisted version of Pollyanna? Obediently loving whatever I'm given - never question, always accept, bend the knee and kiss Alice's feet for the privilege of filling my ears with so/so music?

Don't banish me to the cornfield just because I'm not happy with the current direction or what I'm hearing from this CD specifically. I still have a lot of AC albums, stretched across the decades that I treasure. I'm a fan. And I'm still looking forward to his 30th (whether I'll be a sad fan or a satisfied one on its release, remains to be seen)

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:28 pm

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:23 pm
I'm sorry folks are stung by what they see as negativity. But criticism goes with the job, Alice knows this, everyone who's ever done anything creative professionally know this. You develop a thick skin about it.

Don't banish me to the cornfield just because I'm not happy with the current direction, I still have a lot of AC albums, stretched across the decades that I treasure. I'm a fan. And I'm still looking forward to his 30th (whether I'll be a sad fan or a satisfied one on its release, remains to be seen)
Well said....BTW "Thick Skins" ( as sung to "Sick Things" ) would have been a great song title and fit perfectly with the "Road" concept!

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:50 pm

Like or hate these last few releases. One day in the not to distant future there won't be anymore.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:05 pm

steven15322 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:50 pm
Like or hate these last few releases. One day in the not to distant future there won't be anymore.

Debbie Downer.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:22 pm

steven15322 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:50 pm
I know, I know the original group record is just around the corner! :clap: xjumpingx :alice: :drink: