“Road,” August 25, 2023

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by lordcatfish » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:34 pm

Going by social media posts, it looks like we'll get Welcome to the Show this week. This is one of the songs written by the touring band.

https://alicecooper.lnk.to/Show?fbclid= ... kGk8fqq-gg

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:38 am

It seems to me having read the lyrics that the concept is very limiting this time around - listening to 12 songs about travelling between shows and being on stage sounds tiring.

I'm still looking forward to the album and hoping that the songs written by the touring band are somewhat better than what we've heard so far (the 30 second snippets contain some interesting parts...)

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:25 am

Looking forward to this latest single. The preview sounded one of the better ones for this track and will be interesting to hear the touring band.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:23 pm

Rod wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:38 am
It seems to me having read the lyrics that the concept is very limiting this time around - listening to 12 songs about travelling between shows and being on stage sounds tiring.
It is tiring. It comes down to your attitude whether you enjoy it or not.
AC apparently lives (loves?) to tour.
I just don't see this as a breakthrough like "Running On Empty"
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kPwthBHgnU

Will likely be available after midnight your local time (or use a Australian VPN).

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:16 pm

Si wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:26 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kPwthBHgnU

Will likely be available after midnight your local time (or use a Australian VPN).
I really like it. A classic Alice tune with a catchy chorus. His voice is top, the guitars are loud. I think I will like this album.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:47 am

"Welcome To The Show".

This was the single I've been waiting for following two okay releases.

Not an overly catchy chorus which is great for longevity but most importantly it feels fresh and original. The fact that the band get in on the credits here suggest this should be a straightforward one to pull off live and would be a great opener. I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts on it but to my ears it sounds more of an Alice Cooper band track than solo Alice.

Definitely my favourite of the three released so far. I just hope Alice backs the album and plays at least three or four tracks from this album on tour. Welcome To The Show is a show opener (naturally) and although not blown away by White Line Frankenstein I can definitely see that being a good sing along that could replace Feed My Frankenstein or Teenage Frankenstein to freshen the set up a bit.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:35 am

I also like it.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:33 am

Good song. Might have been a better choice for the opening track.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:48 am

Ok song, better than anything on Detroit Stories

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:49 am

Yeah, liking this one a lot. My favourite of the three singles so far. Good hook in the chorus. Great job by the band with this song.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:32 am

That's a 3rd nope for me. Just blah, standard rock, with standard verse and chorus. Nothing special. My enthusiasm for this album has gone right in the toilet.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:03 am

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:32 am
That's a 3rd nope for me. Just blah, standard rock, with standard verse and chorus. Nothing special. My enthusiasm for this album has gone right in the toilet.
3 strikes yer out. The only saving grace is there is some really nice playing after the spoken word. Alice's vocals are again strained and like Paul McCartney old age is catching up with him. If AI had to record a new Alice Cooper album it would probably come up with something like this. Painting by the numbers.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:29 am

at the beginning it remains me of something of RYFAY (lock me up : leather is black, so are my eyes...)
I like it . an AC song (like AI would probably recognise as well ;) ;) )
you really wouldn't understand..

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:32 am

coincidence : as I was typing this, listening meanwhile to the song on youtube, it was followed on youtube by....lock me up !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOfbGa4bSg
you really wouldn't understand..

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:07 am

Just out of curiosity what is it you're wanting to hear? Metal? Folk?

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:16 am

Alice always had his standard rock songs like this
Long way to go
I'm eighteen
Under my wheels
No more mr. nice guy
Department of youth
Goes to hell
It's hot tonight
Lace and whiskey
Serious
Who do you think we are
Teenage Frankestein
House of fire....and many more

I thinking it's a typical Alice tune. The only thing I miss is a stronger concept with some twisted dark songs.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:11 pm

Pitta wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:16 am
Long way to go
I'm eighteen
Under my wheels
No more mr. nice guy
....and many more

I thinking it's a typical Alice tune. The only thing I miss is a stronger concept with some twisted dark songs.
Not even in the same universe as I'm Eighteen, Under My Wheels, No More Mr. Nice Guy and a few others listed there... nowhere in the same class.

bigbradwolf wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:07 am
Uh, good. I'll take good. That's what I'm wanting to hear.

It has nothing to do with genre, because Alice has done it all, Johnny Cash style country with Jesse Jane, love it. A pretty ballad like I Never Cry, love it, something really heavy like Brutal Planet, love it. Detroit shock rock to DaDa, love it all. But this cookie-cutter rubbish... no, I don't love it.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:40 pm

Well I've enjoyed all 3 so far with "Welcome to the Show" the more obvious classic rock sounding song and its just a fun song...in fact all of them have been fun so far...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:51 pm

Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:11 pm
Pitta wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:16 am
Long way to go
I'm eighteen
Under my wheels
No more mr. nice guy
....and many more

Not even in the same universe as I'm Eighteen, Under My Wheels, No More Mr. Nice Guy and a few others listed there... nowhere in the same class.

bigbradwolf wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:07 am
Uh, good. I'll take good. That's what I'm wanting to hear.

It has nothing to do with genre, because Alice has done it all, Johnny Cash style country with Jesse Jane, love it. A pretty ballad like I Never Cry, love it, something really heavy like Brutal Planet, love it. Detroit shock rock to DaDa, love it all. But this cookie-cutter rubbish... no, I don't love it.
Is it the lyrics you don't like? The music? What do you mean by cookie-cutter rubbish?

I completely respect your opinion but just trying to understand the arguments why Alice's music isn't hitting as it has before. I can imagine an artist with such a back catalogue as Alice writes with honesty and professionalism as he has his whole career. Finding a balance to write music that differs from previous music released to sound fresh but also that appeals to fans I imagine is very difficult. Music is open to interpretation - some people will like songs that others don't. I think there is an argument that maybe Alice needs to write a heavier album - somewhere between Brutal Planet, Dragontown and Last Temptation.

I did see an article by a musician (can't recall who it was) who did say the problem with music now is listeners would rather listen to a simple, straight-forward 3 minute track as opposed to a 7 minute track with plenty of chord changes and momentum. There is a truth to this.

Out of interest what bands/artists new/old have released recent music that you thought wow I like that.