“Road,” August 25, 2023

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:47 pm

You can't tell anything from 30 secs snippets but the whole concept of Road and the song titles suggest there's limitations on what you can write about...ultimately very uninspiring. Along Came a Spider was scrutinised but at least the whole idea of a serial killer is of an interesting nature - even then there were a couple of fillers that exhausted the album.

From what I've heard off the two released tracks (okay) I'm hoping, after listening to a couple of snippets that there is potential for two or three tracks off the album which could potentially sit alongside tracks off Dirty Diamonds and Eyes. As mentioned the start of the album does carry some hope - whereas the previews towards the end of the album really concern me. I will of course wait for the full release. At best I'm hoping for two or three really good tracks and four or five okay tracks (including the two singles)..Anything else would be a bonus.

Rules of the Road and Big Boots sound very filler like.

I just hope there's sufficient substance on the album for contributions from the band to be meaningful.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:19 pm

Well just like WLF on first listen I didn't like it when I first heard it. I had listened to these samples to a very tired late last night. After waking up today I gave em another listen and I am more optimistic about them today. There have been several albums from bands that I have heard only 30 sec samples of the songs that I didn't like. Once I heard the full songs etc I ended up liking a lot of them. I have also heard some 30 sec clips of albums that I thought sounded great and ended up hating them once hearing the full versions. You can't really judge a song by 30 secs.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:14 pm

After giving the 30 second Snippets a listen, here is my take. Let me begin by restating, I am actually an even bigger fan of Solo Alice than the original band (though I love that too) so I feel like I am not stuck on one era or can't see past the 70s. People stuck on one era, while it is is your business, are never ever going to be pleased. That being said I always try to be objective. You can't tell a whole lot just by a snippet but there is very much a "sameness" to most of the songs. Alice said months ago, he wanted to show off the touring band (my favorite Alice band ever for the record) and there would be very few overdubs. Here is the problem I am hearing. One, based on the two released singles and these snippets I am not really "hearing the band." What I mean is a lot of it could be anyone playing. That was the issue with Detroit Stories and to a slightly lesser extent Paranormal. I think what most of us wanted was to hear the band really be allowed to do their thing. Things like Nita shredding all over the place, some of the heaviness of Beasto Blanco and Chuck's lyrics, and some of Ryan Roxie's love for 70's style glam. I am not hearing that and I hope I am wrong.

To further elaborate, I think back to the long Along Came a Spider album. For me the production was the issue with that album.I hear the potential of the songs but there was just such a sameness with so much of it, the concept was better than the execution. That album could have been brilliant because the song ideas were there. And I hate to criticize anyone but it seems like the Ezrin formula has run dry. It is one of the reasons it is good to change Producers from time to time.

Now that being said and before someone claims I am already finding fault with an album that probably won't be out for another year or two, like me ask this and ask for fairness and objectivity. It is well-known by now that the original band recorded with Alice in 2022 and I would assume that album is being worked upon as far as production/mixing etc for a later release. And I hope I am totally wrong about this, but if lyrically the lyrics are in the same vein/style as the last few albums and/or the production of the original band album with the garage sound of the last few Alice albums is similar will you give it a pass simply because it is the original band or will you hold that album to the same standard, you have the last few Alice albums? And for those claiming they are done and say they wont' ever buy a new Alice album, does that also apply to the Original Band new album because otherwise there is hypocrisy there. This isn't intended as a criticism, I just want us all to be fair and objective with any new projects.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:41 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:11 am
That version of Road Rats shows how much Alice's voice today has deteriorated.
The version from those 30 second clips? There’s no vocals on that clip of road rats or is there somewhere else you’re hearing it?
Boomshanka

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:57 pm

James1981 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:41 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
The version from those 30 second clips? There’s no vocals on that clip of road rats or is there somewhere else you’re hearing it?
That previous link was from the movie "Roadie" & P88 was just pointing out the difference in
40+ yrs. with AC's vocals. But, if he has it ... link us in! :HEART: ;)
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:20 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:57 pm
James1981 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:41 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
That previous link was from the movie "Roadie" & P88 was just pointing out the difference in
40+ yrs. with AC's vocals. But, if he has it ... link us in! :HEART: ;)
What he said and thank you.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:39 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:14 pm
After giving the 30 second Snippets a listen, here is my take. Let me begin by restating, I am actually an even bigger fan of Solo Alice than the original band (though I love that too) so I feel like I am not stuck on one era or can't see past the 70s. People stuck on one era, while it is is your business, are never ever going to be pleased. That being said I always try to be objective. You can't tell a whole lot just by a snippet but there is very much a "sameness" to most of the songs. Alice said months ago, he wanted to show off the touring band (my favorite Alice band ever for the record) and there would be very few overdubs. Here is the problem I am hearing. One, based on the two released singles and these snippets I am not really "hearing the band." What I mean is a lot of it could be anyone playing. That was the issue with Detroit Stories and to a slightly lesser extent Paranormal. I think what most of us wanted was to hear the band really be allowed to do their thing. Things like Nita shredding all over the place, some of the heaviness of Beasto Blanco and Chuck's lyrics, and some of Ryan Roxie's love for 70's style glam. I am not hearing that and I hope I am wrong.

To further elaborate, I think back to the long Along Came a Spider album. For me the production was the issue with that album.I hear the potential of the songs but there was just such a sameness with so much of it, the concept was better than the execution. That album could have been brilliant because the song ideas were there. And I hate to criticize anyone but it seems like the Ezrin formula has run dry. It is one of the reasons it is good to change Producers from time to time.

Now that being said and before someone claims I am already finding fault with an album that probably won't be out for another year or two, like me ask this and ask for fairness and objectivity. It is well-known by now that the original band recorded with Alice in 2022 and I would assume that album is being worked upon as far as production/mixing etc for a later release. And I hope I am totally wrong about this, but if lyrically the lyrics are in the same vein/style as the last few albums and/or the production of the original band album with the garage sound of the last few Alice albums is similar will you give it a pass simply because it is the original band or will you hold that album to the same standard, you have the last few Alice albums? And for those claiming they are done and say they wont' ever buy a new Alice album, does that also apply to the Original Band new album because otherwise there is hypocrisy there. This isn't intended as a criticism, I just want us all to be fair and objective with any new projects.

I'm not a fan of one era. I like the original band era but could easily do without PFY and EA. I like WTMN plus I'm Flash and Space Pirates. I'm a big fan of the black out albums and the Monster Dog tracks. I tend to like about an eps worth of songs on his solo stuff except for ACAS ( horrible ) Dragon Town ( ugh ) where I like sod all. Paranormal is probably the last album I liked more than 4 songs.

Live I quit around 2003 or so. No interest in him reheating the same stuff ad infinitum.

At worst I cant see anything with the band being as bad as his recent solo stuff. Hopefully it's better unless Alice and Ezrin have final say and cut out band consensus. I'm not hearing a Fireball, Sound Of A , I'll Bite Your Face Off or a I Hate You on any of these clips though it is obviously hard to tell with 30 seconds.

If a band album is bad I'll say so. I gave up blind allegiance years ago. I had no problem disliking The Stooges return.

The concept of writing on the road is fine but not writing songs about the road. He is just limiting himself.

I'll give it a fair shake.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 pm

So I am more than willing to hear the new album in its entirety before final judgement. I will say I was expecting a more raw sound from what I had heard from Alice. So far it sounds real smooth. Especially the two released songs.

As for the reunion album I am very interested. I was around from the beginning days and there was magic in those Ezrin produced band albums. Maybe lighting can strike twice ? On a personal note I am thinking maybe that could be Alice’s swan song ? Nobody is getting younger and Alice is really up there in age. Doesn’t show it but the reality is there. He might be of the mindset that these are the guys I started with and they are the guys I’m going out with. Strictly personal speculation on that. I’d be fine with it.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:52 am

Alice swan song ? I would have been "satisfied" if Paranormal would have been the last album (satisfied meaning: not disappointed by "the-album-"too- much" ). But Detroit Stories worked well for me too (only a few somewhat"weaker" songs imo.. )
And now this one ... Too difficult to judge by the seconds we have for now imo.
And for an album with the OG's..Expectations would be sky high, but probably not very realistic. If they stick too much to the best known albums, people will say that is repeating themself, and if it is totally "new" it wouldn't sound like AC anymore.. But, if I hear Social Debris, with that excellent guitar solo ( and how it was made), it could be possible and what a way it would be to end the circle..( if that is the intention to make one final record with the ACG!)
you really wouldn't understand..

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:05 am

Good to read your pitch Pitkin but have to say you haven’t come across that way to me or others recently hence my responses. The difference between our likes of the music probably isn’t massive but it our attitude is. Time for my story I think.

I came in with Schools Out. SO, Killer and B$B are the three cherished albums of my life and the peak of ACG. For me, LITD was behind them but not far and MoL was a crushing blow of a step down. It and the more recent songs from the guys gives me the apprehension that the spark went 50 years ago when people were young and full of new ideas. Not negative, apprehensive.

I am a bigger fan of Alice solo but for a variety of reasons. Longevity, facing and winning against his challenges, spread of interests, charity activity etc are all there but the music obviously comes first. The phases have all got highlights. WTMN and GTH are classic. I was ill when GTH came out and it was THE album which carried me through. DaDa delivered for me but I had heard of the personal issues so thought it may be over. Constrictor was a total surprise and just a delight to know he was back so it has another special place. I’m not a Trash fan but when I heard a pre-release copy of Poison I knew he was having a hit. Love it still. BP, DD W2MN and Paranormal are all highlights to me.

I also get at least an ep out of every other album he has done, with the exception of ACAS and DS. No other act has ever achieved that for me.
He has always delivered live for me but also at key times - First saw Alice in 82 in Glasgow (dragged my girlfriend along and she stayed with me ever since). My son was born two days before seeing him in Edinburgh, what a night! Took my brother to him in 2003 just before he died, a huge night for us both.

So, after a huge journey of twists and turns I have over 150 songs I love from Alice and three cherished albums from ACG. I’ll always look forward. Can’t be bothered with negativity as nothing thrives in that environment.

I’m an optimist, there has always been something I can happily take from every single album and I love the shows. HV has broadened Alice’s late career options and the recent shows were excellent with Alice clearly on form and really enjoying it. I dread the day I can’t look forward to Schools out live. I like I’m Alice, I’m ok with White Line and will patiently and wait optimistically for the album as I want to listen end to end.
Soundtrack to my life.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:13 am

While I have regularly followed the conversation here, I haven't posted anything in a long time. One of the reasons is definitely my own artistic projects. I am not a musician. I am a writer. At one point I was working on two poem books and three novel manuscripts. A couple of months ago I finished one of the poem books. So now I am working on one poem book and three novels. Alice Cooper has been a huge inspiration to me and I also like toying with themes and concepts. Our writing styles are totally different though. Other reason is the signs of my declining mental health that leaves me less energy to do things. This applies to both: my own artistic work and posting here. This has happened quite recently.

I like both singles but White Line Frankenstein is more to the point and cohesive. The sound seems to be less raw than what I expected. Somewhat smoother anyway. I give I am Alice 7.8/10 and White Line Frankenstein 8/10. Recently singles haven't been the most interesting or best material on new albums. Paranoiac Personality wasn't my favorite song on Paranormal. Rock 'n' roll and Our Love will change the World while decent, weren't my highlights on Detroit Stories. I seem to be in minority but for me I hate You and Independence Dave were absolutely worst songs on Detroit Stories. I actually really liked that album but even I wouldn't call it a creative triumph.

Concept of the Road is quite limiting. That is true. But I am confident that this will be better than Special Forces. It is the worst album Alice has ever released in my opinion along with the first Hollywood Vampires album. I only like two first songs on Special Forces. So if there is one or two good songs in addition to the singles on Road, then it has already beaten that terrible album. Of course I hope it will be at least a decent album.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:12 am

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:52 pm
This link takes you to 30 second samples of all the songs from Road...there is definitely some potential here for sure...loved a LOT of it....

https://www.exlibris.ch/de/musik/cd/ali ... 3hQiYuOrJY
only listend to about 15s clips from half of those, don't want any more spoilers - sounds like it's going to be a belter of an album. a dedicated live show/stage concept would be fabulous for next year.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:44 pm

I’m pleasantly surprised by the sound of a few of those tracks. And the ones that weren’t surprising at least sound serviceable.

I agree with Patrick for saying Paranormal was a satisfying swan song. It’s all bonus to me at this point so I’m (mostly) happy. Still hoping for a reunion album. This album checks the box of finally using the touring band. The reunion album is the final checkbox. Then begins the slow fade-out. And I’ll be there the whole way!

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:31 pm

Si wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:59 pm
Well spotted!
Touch of "Eyes..." maybe?
I'm still optimistic (which I wasn't about DS...)
Clips do sound more like Eyes . That's not a bad thing in my opinion as I like that album.
I feel the same about DS. What a dreadful album.

I'm thinking Road Rats here is an instrumental.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:08 am

I just bought "Detroit Stories." It's one of his worst albums.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:39 am

It may depend on what one was expecting.. It sure isn't a "real AC" album( whatever that may be :-) )
Sister Anne and Hail Mary sure don't work for me, and Our love will change the world needed to grow on me, but Social Debris and Wonderfull world to name a few made the album ok for me..Paranormal was a stronger album imo.
Few weeks now to see if Road meets the expectations...
you really wouldn't understand..

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:53 pm

patrick wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:39 am
It may depend on what one was expecting.. It sure isn't a "real AC" album( whatever that may be :-) )
For me ACAS was the last real AC album. It wasn't a good album, but it was Alice Cooper. After that he wanted to make a second part but Bob "wasn't into it". Bob wanted W2MN, so they recorded it. Alice wrote some songs with his band and with Desmond Child, but Bob wanted something different.

Paranormal...Alice called Bob and told him what kind of an album he want to make and Bob wrote some songs with his friends, and recorded with them.

Detroit stories...some good songs with a bunch of pointless covers. I liked it more than the previous two records, but it was also only a Bob Ezrin album.

Some AC fans says that Trash was only a Desmond Child&his friends album with Alice's vocals. I have the same feelings about the last 3 albums. Bob Ezrin&his friends. It doesn't matter what Alice would like to do, Bob knows better what he needs.
Maybe Road will be more "original" with his own musicians.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:25 pm

I had to live with both albums for a while before they clicked for me. Paranormal is more seamless, there's not a song I dislike on that one. Detroit has a couple of clunkers, but I do like the covers, and I think they fit thematically (of course you're going to do the MC5, etc.) It also helped that I didn't bother with Bread Crumbs, I didn't even give it a spin at Spotify until last month, so when I went into DS, everything, except for the retooled title song, and the one he played on his radio show, was new to me.

With that in mind, while I wasn't initially thrilled, I don't want to dismiss Road totally on 30 second samples - I'll wait, give it a fair shake.

As to the questions about the original band's album with Alice... since I've enjoyed about every tune they've done together since W2MN (Drunk and in Love is so/so), I'm looking forward to it. No, I don't expect the second coming of B$B, but if it grades out at the same range as Muscle of Love, I'll be more than happy (and I think they're capable of achieving that)

I'll be curious to see what Michael brings to the songwriting table, in that interview he said he had 1 (maybe 2) song(s) at that time... and they had about half the record rehearsed and ready to record. It's been primarily Dunaway and Smith as co-writers, I believe the last with Bruce was the superlative "When Hell Comes Home" from W2MN.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:25 pm
No, I don't expect the second coming of B$B, but if it grades out at the same range as Muscle of Love, I'll be more than happy (and I think they're capable of achieving that).
Admitted that's not too high a bar to set, we will expect (anticipate?) no less. :alice:
:rock: :teach: :headcutoff:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:41 pm

Enjoyed the snippets, looking forward to the full release of Road, for me it sounds like a better prospect than the previous 2.
Now here's a random thought, was just relaxing with a cup of coffee and starting thinking, never a good thing ...... the much requested album with the touring band followed by an album with the original ACG ...... closure ?...... thank you and good night perhaps?. Would be a neat way to sign off.
Perhaps drinking coffee and thinking are probably a dangerous combination but it occupied my mind for a few minutes. Time for a quick spin of Killer and back to normal.