Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: The new expanded KILLER and SCHOOL's OUT

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:06 pm

A few thoughts:

The live stuff is very nice. Of the two shows I think I prefer the Mar Y Sol Pop Festival. It's astonishing that it's taken 50 for these concerts to be released. Why in the world would the studio not release a live ACG album during their peak years?

Alice should never have stopped using the intro that they used for Be My Lover. You could tack that intron onto Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and it would automatically be transformed into a epic rock song.

I really dig the early take of Elected. The lyrics may not be as sharp as the finished version, but musically it's awesome.

Is Under My Wheels better without the horns? Maybe. The bass and drums sound great when they aren't competing with the horn section.

Killer is my favorite ACG album, but there is one thing I don't like abut it - the cymbal is way too prominent in You Drive Me Nervous. The sound of it annoys the heck out of me. The alternate version doesn't have that problem. Having said that, the live version doesn't either so it's the "definitive" version for me.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:31 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:06 pm
A few thoughts:

The live stuff is very nice. Of the two shows I think I prefer the Mar Y Sol Pop Festival. It's astonishing that it's taken 50 for these concerts to be released. Why in the world would the studio not release a live ACG album during their peak years?

Alice should never have stopped using the intro that they used for Be My Lover. You could tack that intron onto Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and it would automatically be transformed into a epic rock song.

I really dig the early take of Elected. The lyrics may not be as sharp as the finished version, but musically it's awesome.

Is Under My Wheels better without the horns? Maybe. The bass and drums sound great when they aren't competing with the horn section.

Killer is my favorite ACG album, but there is one thing I don't like abut it - the cymbal is way too prominent in You Drive Me Nervous. The sound of it annoys the heck out of me. The alternate version doesn't have that problem. Having said that, the live version doesn't either so it's the "definitive" version for me.
You have given me another reason to listen to this album again. (Like I need a reason) One thing you mentioned stuck out. I just listened to the new YDMN on headphones. Not sure which cymbal is too prominent - it sounds good on this end. Do you mean the hi-hats, or the accent splash at the end of each phrase? I believe that the hi-hats have a flanger (phaser?) effect on them, which makes them stand out more.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:02 pm

Oh, gosh I'm not musician, Dannorama, so it's really hard for me to say. It's extremely prominent to me throughout. It may be two different things I'm taking about. The cymbals seem way too high in the mix all the way through and there seems to be an effect added during the chorus. The chorus part might be the "phaser" thing you mentioned. Maybe it's just my ears, but it creates a "harsh" noise to me like listening to some low quality mp3 recordings.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:54 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:02 pm
Oh, gosh I'm not musician, Dannorama, so it's really hard for me to say. It's extremely prominent to me throughout. It may be two different things I'm taking about. The cymbals seem way too high in the mix all the way through and there seems to be an effect added during the chorus. The chorus part might be the "phaser" thing you mentioned. Maybe it's just my ears, but it creates a "harsh" noise to me like listening to some low quality mp3 recordings.
With all of your clues, I'd put money on the hi-hat/phaser thing. The hi-hats are heard throughout the song, equally spaced between the snare drum notes.

During the the chorus, it sounds like this:
"And then you say [*tsh *tsh *tsh]
You drive me nervous, nervous..."

(The "*tsh" part is the hi-hat.)

It's always sounded to me like an effect was included during recording. Maybe ask Dennis?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:01 pm

I think you nailed it. I take it I'm the only one bugged by it?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:11 am

iirc, the cymbals on YDMN were recorded out of phase (on purpose) and Neal wanted the whole album to be recorded that way. Ezrin and Christianson did not agree but allowed the one track. It's an unusual sound and they definitely made the right choice to limit that effect to 1 short song

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:01 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:11 am
iirc, the cymbals on YDMN were recorded out of phase (on purpose) and Neal wanted the whole album to be recorded that way. Ezrin and Christianson did not agree but allowed the one track. It's an unusual sound and they definitely made the right choice to limit that effect to 1 short song

Interesting. Yeah, Ezrin definitely made the right call.