The new expanded KILLER and SCHOOL's OUT

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

The new expanded KILLER and SCHOOL's OUT

Post by mestreech » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:48 am

The two new expanded editions of KILLER and SCHOOL's OUT have a releasedate of june 9th but there are already reviews on the net and we got already 4 previewtracks from RHINO.

1. School's out - singleversion.
2. You drive me nervous (alternate version)
3. You drive me nervous (live at Mar Y Sol Pop Festival, Puerto Rico, April 2, 1972)
4. Be my lover (live in Miami, Florida, May 27, 1972)

So what are your thoughts on these?
For me the School's out singlemix is nothing special because I already had the single. The two livetracks I really like and great we are getting two liveshows .
But the best is the alternate version of You Drive Me Nervous. Excellent raw version. Wish they had included more of these tracks on the sets.

I hope this is a new start for Warner/Rhino for giving us more expanded editions and I do hope for LOVE it to DEATH and MUSCLE of LOVE sets, that would be awesome.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The new expanded KILLER and SCHOOL's OUT

Post by scotty » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:24 am

I’d buy every single album again if given this treatment tbh.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:41 pm

I haven't listened to any of the preview tracks yet but I may do so prior to June 9; if I do I'll post another comment in this thread with my thoughts on them. I too would love to see LITD and MOL similarly reissued; I don't know if/when it might happen but here's to hoping.

Ted

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:37 am

amazon have shipped mine so hopefully will be here soon. i have brought both, my interest is slim for live stuff but am interested to hear demos and ideas etc.
just hope we start to get more and stuff i actually care about (ideally early 80s to mid 90s) hoping they are both good packages tho.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:46 am

From the track uploaded to YT from the Miami show, the sound quality sounds very good (better than the St. Louis or the Mar Y Sol recordings imo) and the performance sounds really good. The performance from Mar Y Sol sounds pretty flat imo, Miami sounds much more energetic. Got notice my delivery comes on the 9th, I look forward to it

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:37 am

Both deluxe editions are now on spotify.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:27 am

i listened to the killer live show this morning before work. its pretty good, the highlights are neal and dennis who are locked in tight! you drive me nervous is probably the highlight of the songs tbh, nice and raw and energetic.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:37 pm

Just listened through the new remasters.

The sound on the live material is amazing. The 'Mar Y Sol' is a significant improvement on the bootleg version from a few years ago and the two shows, while obviously very similar in set list, are probably different enough to be worthwhile if there really isn't a SO tour show available.

The few "bonus" tracks are also a nice addition, again different enough to be worthwhile. Especially Alma Mater's Sgt Pepper'-ish(?) guitar sound and slightly different ad-libs, and the very different early 'Elected'.

All in all the CDs are certainly worth getting if not essential, although whether you are prepared to lay out the very high price for the vinyls is maybe more a matter of choice/need/sanity.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:37 pm
Just listened through the new remasters.

The sound on the live material is amazing. The 'Mar Y Sol' is a significant improvement on the bootleg version from a few years ago and the two shows, while obviously very similar in set list, are probably different enough to be worthwhile if there really isn't a SO tour show available.

The few "bonus" tracks are also a nice addition, again different enough to be worthwhile. Especially Alma Mater's Sgt Pepper'-ish(?) guitar sound and slightly different ad-libs, and the very different early 'Elected'.

All in all the CDs are certainly worth getting if not essential, although whether you are prepared to lay out the very high price for the vinyls is maybe more a matter of choice/need/sanity.
I called my own sanity into question by buying both on vinyl. Happy to say I don't regret it.

Excellent packaging and sounding great.

I'd agree that the Alma Mater and Elected alternate versions are especially interesting to hear.

I still wonder if the Hollywood Bowl bootleg couldn't have been used as the School's Out live show. I know there will be huge limitations as to how they could have cleaned it up, but it's always sounded pretty good on my cassette version.

They really feel like very special releases and that's the main thing.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:34 pm

VinceRaven wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:03 pm
I called my own sanity into question by buying both on vinyl. Happy to say I don't regret it.

Excellent packaging and sounding great.

I'd agree that the Alma Mater and Elected alternate versions are especially interesting to hear.

I still wonder if the Hollywood Bowl bootleg couldn't have been used as the School's Out live show. I know there will be huge limitations as to how they could have cleaned it up, but it's always sounded pretty good on my cassette version.

They really feel like very special releases and that's the main thing.
Just speculation on my part, but I still think the chances of that show being either professionally recorded or at least a soundboard recording, are pretty good. It was an important gig for the band and film cameras were rolling, so capturing the audio is not a stretch. No one's getting any younger.

Anyway got my School's Out cds today, I'll have to wait for Killer, hopefully next week it comes. Glad to hear that Mar Y Sol is a step up in sq, the example up on youtube didn't sound like an upgrade to me but it's yt so not the best source to judge fidelity.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:48 am

The remaster/reissues are pretty standard - bob ezrin knocked it out the park in the first place so other than beefing up the low end a bit the issues are great.
The alternate mixes i think are genuinely brilliant. Im loving under my wheels without the horns, you drive me nervous sounds like a different riff altogether and dead babies has the weird harmonies. Schools out versions are less impressive but alma mater has a few nice bits.
The sound on these alternate mixes is phenomenal. I am very impressed with the sound quality on them, i was expecting demo level quality and you could easily palm them off as proper album versions!
The live shows are good but i have been a big fan of the original ACG live as they are the closest to their studio versions (i prefer different bands to inject different styles etc but given the ACG wrote them they will never differ greatly will they?) but the live quality is good. the packages overall are very good.
I hope they sell well and the alice cooper camp finally decides to give some love to the back catalog

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:42 pm

I really struggled to justify buying these as I already have both on original vinyl with calendar and panties. However a night on the vino persuaded me to visit the amazon fairy. First of all the packaging is superb. The extensive notes are great. The sound quality is brilliant. The alma mater and elected versions are definitely great additions. You drive me nervous is also really interesting. My main beef is having recordings of two concerts only 6 weeks apart from the same tour with basically the same song list. One of these should have been changed or dropped to make way for more outtakes or perhaps an interview. Over all though I am happy I went for it.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:02 am

I haven't read the notes yet so maybe the questions I have are answered, but given the quality of outtakes and the Miami show, I wonder if there's a Warner Brothers Archive that has been made available that was previously closed. As much of the extras would have made excellent inclusions in the Old School box set. If there's more extras like this available for BDB and MOL - bring it on. Complete live show from the BDB Holiday tour please!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:21 pm

I had some free time yesterday afternoon, and I freaking blasted both of these new releases on a warm sunny day.

What a great experience. It was truly like hearing these albums again with fresh ears.

I’ll gush about School’s Out first, because it’s my favorite album ever. The bass is indeed enhanced, which was drastically needed. (It reminded me that these records were originally made back in the days of paper speakers.) My Stars is by far my favorite song on the album, and holy chit. The whole album sounds great, but this song was ecstatic to me. Bravo! Also, the way the saxophone stands out on Blue Turk is very impressive. Also also! Dennis’ bass intro to Gutter Cat has (what I think are) overtones, which gives a powerful new dimension to the experience. Crank it, and you’ll hear what I’m talking about.

This was my 4th time through this new version of School’s Out, and I’m just getting started. It’s like having a new album to discover. I am very glad to have this vastly enhanced version.

(And then, there’s the live tracks… maybe I’ll gush about those later.)

PS. Jimi Hendrix had pneumonia.

Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:30 pm

I haven't done the thorough deep dive but on quick comparison, I think the Miami May 27, 1972 has previously circulated as Commack Arena, Long Island NY April 22, 1972 and as The Electric Ballroom, Detroit (which I think had to be bogus because there apparently wasn't any Electric Ballroom in Detroit back in the day). Miami is better sound quality and a lower generation source, of course and doesn't have the nasty cuts in Dead Babies and IIMB, so all good by me. Just thought those who keep track of such things, we can now correct our files on the "Commack Arena" 1972 04 22 recording

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:14 pm

I haven't ordered the albums yet, but I have been listening to the live stuff on Youtube and I'm really enjoying it.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:35 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:27 am
i listened to the killer live show this morning before work. its pretty good, the highlights are neal and dennis who are locked in tight! you drive me nervous is probably the highlight of the songs tbh, nice and raw and energetic.
S&S you are spot on...These three highlights (Neal, Den & NNNNervous) are what I first noticed right away...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:22 pm

I'm really enjoying the outtakes. Out of my price range so glad they are up on YT. How are the band comments on the liners? Are all 4 interviewed and Ezrin?

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:58 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:22 pm
I'm really enjoying the outtakes. Out of my price range so glad they are up on YT. How are the band comments on the liners? Are all 4 interviewed and Ezrin?
Yes, they all contribute.

An interesting read. Some familiar ground covered in the comments but there are still enough titbits to keep the hardcore fans happy, I would have thought.

elwoodpdowd
Trash
Trash

Post by elwoodpdowd » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:43 pm

Has anyone received a vinyl issue of School's Out with the desk lid in the wrong orientation? My copy opens from left to right instead of from bottom to top. Maybe a batch issue through Amazon UK?
The live stuff has been the thing for me, especially the Miami gig. Not really into outtakes/demos etc. they are what they are, works in progress.
I'm late, I'm late for a very important date! :rotfl: