Decades - Chris Sutton's New Book on Alice in the 80s

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Decades - Chris Sutton's New Book on Alice in the 80s

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:37 pm

Despite the appearance of a new Alice Cooper book seemingly being every few months now, I had assumed quite a few people have been looking forward to this one, so I'm slightly surprised nobody has commented on it yet.

It's almost exactly the same length as the last one (the 70s) - 160 pages, plus 14 glossy pages of photos. I was initially a little disappointed that around 60 pages are dedicated to the blackout era while the other 100 are given over to the hair metal years, but I'm sure some of the metalheads on here will be happy with that balance.

There's plenty in this for fans of the blackout period to enjoy and I reckon if these 60 pages had appeared as a booklet in the much-longed-for never-going-to-happen 'Blackout Box', people like myself would have been firing off party poppers in celebration.

As indicated in the advance publicity, Sutton has managed to talk to plenty of people who were involved in that period and, while it can sometimes be a little frustrating not to read more quotes from these musicians, he has to be commended for getting so many of them to speak at all.

I strongly dislike the bulk of the hair metal years but I still found the details here interesting. It gives good insight into the thought processes behind many of the choices made and points to some of the disagreements behind the scenes, while tactfully avoiding going too public about certain personality clashes.

Perhaps the most fascinating part in the metal section is the contributions from Dennis and Neal on the pre Constrictor work they collaborated on and the prospect of what might have been. It's brief, but illuminating all the same.

I'd definitely recommend it. It's an easy read with plenty to interest the casual and not-so-casual Alice Cooper fans. And let's face it, we're not likely to get anything else as substantial as this focusing on the rarely covered blackout era.

Maximum price is £15.99 but it's not hard to find it cheaper. Remembering, of course, if you're buying it from Amazon to use the link on this site to help Si.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Decades - Chris Sutton's New Book on Alice in the 80s

Post by Si » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 pm

A fair review.
I thought it was nice that we finally have something covering the period on more than a couple of pages!
So many books spend 80% of the book on the first 10 years and rush through everything else.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:02 pm

I'm just starting the metal years but found the black out years fascinating and well researched. The different visions for special forces from fred Mandela, who wanted the guitars pushed further up in the mix; and Polodor who pushed the keyboard and synthetic to the fore, is fascinating. Also the insight into the special forces tour. I love these books.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:04 pm

I've just finished the Constrictor section - there's a good amount of detail here. I was pleased that there was a fair bit of detail about the Blackout era too, even if some of the songs only get a brief overview. Can't wait to work through the rest of the book over the next few days.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:10 pm

Still waiting for mine to arrive

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:52 am

I didnt know it was a thing!!! do you have a link that would aid the site money wise?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:16 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:52 am
I didnt know it was a thing!!! do you have a link that would aid the site money wise?
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk
Use the Amazon search on the left after picking your country.
(You can search for ANYTHING this way, and after entering the Amazon site anything you buy in that session helps STUK regardless of how much you move around the Amazon site)

https://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/11-books ... e1980s.php
Just click the Amazon button for your country.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:39 pm

Ordered mine through Sickthings. Not really my favourite period but the Special Forces tour was the first time I saw Alice live in concert so have a soft spot for this era and am intrigued to know, where possible, any additional information as to what was 'going on'......more in a musical sense.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:00 pm

Finished the book. I absolutely loved it. 85-89 are probably my least favourite Alice period but the behind the scene insights are fascinating. A lot of eye opening interviews. I would thoroughly recommend this book. It will now get pride of place as my 'toilet ' book so that I can dip back into it at opportune moments.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:31 pm

Ordered though the link (thanks for that) i dont use amazon that often (tends to be my last port of call for ordering just because of how dodgy they are) but happy to use your links for when i do.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:43 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:31 pm
Ordered though the link (thanks for that) i dont use amazon that often (tends to be my last port of call for ordering just because of how dodgy they are) but happy to use your links for when i do.
That's all I ask. If you can get something cheaper somewhere else or prefer not to use Amazon for whatever reason that's fine, I completely get that, but if you ARE going to use them it costs you nothing extra and it all helps keep the site online.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:51 pm

I am excited to read the book. I actually love 80's Alice. The metal years are my favorite Alice years and I love the early 80's albums as well. I am definitely not stuck on just the 70's.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:22 am

Si wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:16 am
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:52 am
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk
Use the Amazon search on the left after picking your country.
(You can search for ANYTHING this way, and after entering the Amazon site anything you buy in that session helps STUK regardless of how much you move around the Amazon site)

https://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/11-books ... e1980s.php
Just click the Amazon button for your country.
I just ordered my wife's (very expensive) birthday present using the link from this site. :)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:23 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:22 am
I just ordered my wife's (very expensive) birthday present using the link from this site. :)
Thank you

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 am

Just finished reading this. Great read. Like a lot of you I was mostly interested in the “black out” years but actually found myself most fascinated with the “metal” period instead, especially the inter relationships and different attitudes with the touring crews. It makes you realise how much attitudes have changed (for the better I hope) in the last 30 years.