Cancelled

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Cancelled

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:20 pm

For those in the UK who may have read this, Delilah by Sir Tom Jones has had many critics in the last week, due to the lyrics seen as violence against women.

Which Alice song(s) could be seen this way and would it bother you if Alice was told not to perform them anymore?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Cancelled

Post by rgallie » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:58 pm

I doubt Alice would be cancelled in this manner. It is more clear cut with him today more than ever that he was never glorifying what he sung about, they might as well cancel most his catalogue otherwise...I don't see it, he is well respected by the public and media as a nice guy with a horror stage show alter ego. Where as Tom Jones, well he comes accross a bit of a sleeze now imo. I honestly wonder what skeletons are in his closet?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:40 pm

rgallie wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:58 pm
I doubt Alice would be cancelled in this manner. It is more clear cut with him today more than ever that he was never glorifying what he sung about, they might as well cancel most his catalogue otherwise...I don't see it, he is well respected by the public and media as a nice guy with a horror stage show alter ego. Where as Tom Jones, well he comes accross a bit of a sleeze now imo. I honestly wonder what skeletons are in his closet?
With respect I think that's a little naive.

The majority of the population barely know who Alice is anymore. And if they do it's as a "heavy metal singer/Rock Star with make up (like Kiss)". Maybe they would remember School's Out or Poison.

If one of the tabloids decided to go after him (or anyone for that matter) then there would be trouble ahead, whether they were reading the lyrics correctly or not. Just look at the stoopidity around blind MP David Blunkett trying to ban the RYF tour back in 1988 based solely on what his kids had said after reading about the show!

You are expecting people to know his songs, his act and his history, and be aware of things he's said in interviews explaining things. Most are not, and most journalists won't bother to check if they think they can make a story. Just look at the Daily Mail article a few days ago who described RnR Hall of fame and multiple Grammy winning artist Bonnie Raitt as a "unknown blues singer" when she won best song over their teen idols... If they can't even be bothered to google her name for an article what hope does anyone else have?

The saving grace I suppose is that Alice probably isn't big enough a target any more. It will sell far more papers to target a bigger name.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:16 pm

Must agree with Si.
Some 10 years ago we had a killer in a childcarecentre stabbing several people. The national television news mentioned all kind of possible influences on why these things happened, some links where made with violence in music and one of the short clips shown was the "little Betty " part from the Brutal Planet show... Unfortunately they only showed Alice approaching the cradle, not the baby-monster that he finally pulled out of the cradle..
If Alice would have been at the top of his carreer...it would have caused some trouble I am afraid...
you really wouldn't understand..

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:02 pm

Delilah was only banned at the Welsh Rugby Union Principality Stadium, ridiculous when I hear some of the sleaze and goings on there recently.

Fans who attended tried singing Delilah as an organised group, where the WRU just turned the volume up of pop songs and drowned them out.

Delilah will be back, I am certain of that.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 am

I have to ask what about the SAHB version of "Delilah?"
Alex makes it sound as sinister as it is. ::((:
Has the BBC weighed in?
I'm still bugged about "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits.
They've started editing it in the US now.
What has happened to "Free Speech"?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:47 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 am
I'm still bugged about "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits.
They've started editing it in the US now.
That happened many years ago. The entire second verse was edited out of versions that get airplay.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 am
I have to ask what about the SAHB version of "Delilah?"
Thats what I like about the SAHB version. It is more sinister but less predatory by nature of its honest take. Tom "Jimmy S was a good man" Jones gives me the creeps and has no place in the same paragraph as the man we love.