2023 hopes and dreams

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

2023 hopes and dreams

Post by Dannorama » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:05 pm

You've heard it before, I'll say it again... 2022 turned out to be a relative dud. The "Astroturf" package was amazing, and I am very happy for that! Otherwise, the year was a snoozer. I'm still hoping against hope for a great big "School's Out" box. A 5.1 mix would be awesome. There have been hints thrown out there about other boxes as well. I'd pony up for all of them. Looks like the band-only record has now progressed into a different form. Sure do hope we get to hear it soon. I'm still hoping to see him again this year, but it looks like fall may be my best hope for that to happen. I am psyched to see what this year brings!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Re: 2023 hopes and dreams

Post by alicefannor » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:04 pm

Live blu ray from 2022

Along came a spider + WTMN2 on vinyl

Blu ray audio of ANY albums

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:00 pm

The last I heard, the School's Out 50th Anniversary release that was supposed to happen last year had been postponed until this year. So yes, hopefully a worthwhile release to commemorate the album/song will happen in 2023.

Although we've had a Deluxe Edition of BDB for 20+ years, this year is the 50th Anniversary of that album, so again, if a worthwhile release can be put together for the landmark that would be great.

Of course MOL will celebrate the same occasion as BDB this year but if both SO and BDB re-releases happen in 2023, a MOL re-release might also be postponed (until 2024), if it happens at all.

Ted

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:32 am

We're still waiting for a LITD and Killer anniversary release but I keep waiting.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:56 pm

mestreech wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:32 am
We're still waiting for a LITD and Killer anniversary release but I keep waiting.
I would be looking forward to reissues of those 2 albums even more than SO and BDB but I haven't seen any announcements that they are also going to be re-released. I think Killer was the other album (in addition to SO) which was going to be reissued with a live 2nd disc and some outtakes but neither have materialized as yet.

Ted

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:32 pm

Blu ray audio of ANY albums
i'd buy that for a dollar. though i think certain albums may be better than others. i think Go to hell, from the inside, Dada, Hey stoopid, Last temptation & W2MN would all sound phenominal. Trash might be very good too. The mix of bryan adams reckless was superb so i think it could be great.

But lets be honest guys, bring on the new album!!!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:53 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:32 pm
... i think Go to hell, from the inside, Dada, Hey stoopid, Last temptation & W2MN would all sound phenominal.
Without any doubt, I would be all over any of these albums in surround. I've got WTMN in surround on DVD/A. The mix is cool, but they made some odd decisions while making that one. They used the extended cuts instead of the edited tracks. (More is not always better.) One of my main peeves with the mix is that they mixed out the essential acoustic guitar run from the title track. (Left channel, right after "I hope I didn't scare you.") It's so brief, yet it's so important. It would be great if they did the basic album in surround.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:06 pm

That's why I'm not a fan of anything like that. I hate that so many older movies are released on Blu-ray with only a 5.1 audio track, when the movies were only mono or stereo when they were released. They should only be released in mono or stereo, because that's how the creators created them. Anything else is revisionist junk with random decisions made by whoever's doing the mixing. They also replace sound effects and sometimes versions of songs and make other changes.

Same applies to music albums, IMO. It's one thing to design an album with 5.1 in mind, it's another to take a 50-year-old stereo recording and create a 5.1 mix.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:04 pm

SickThings wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:06 pm
That's why I'm not a fan of anything like that. I hate that so many older movies are released on Blu-ray with only a 5.1 audio track, when the movies were only mono or stereo when they were released. They should only be released in mono or stereo, because that's how the creators created them. Anything else is revisionist junk with random decisions made by whoever's doing the mixing. They also replace sound effects and sometimes versions of songs and make other changes.

Same applies to music albums, IMO. It's one thing to design an album with 5.1 in mind, it's another to take a 50-year-old stereo recording and create a 5.1 mix.
I get it, and I'm not arguing. My take is, when done well, surround sound exposes the listener to an almost-new listening experience. Nuances can be brought forward, and the sound stage is literally expanded. It is interesting to hear the extended cuts, but it can also be tiresome. I'm very glad for my copy of WTMN and BDB in surround. If nothing else ever happens with those albums, I'll be okay. It would just be fun to have more. Isn't that what it's really all about? ...Fun?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:53 pm

SickThings wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:06 pm
I get the argument, but generally the original versions are still available, so all you really have is something new/different for those who are interested in that. And in the case of audio releases you normally get both the original AND the new version together... so hard to complain really.
It's just a bonus for those who like that format.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:45 am

True, for music albums, the original formats are still available. I'm just saying why I have no interest in them.

That usually is not true for movies. One of the big trends in Collector's Edition Blu-ray releases lately is the restoration of original mono and stereo soundtracks!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:11 pm

I am really hoping that one of the two albums is the OGs. I doubt very much that it will be though. If it was going to happen then breadcrumbs would have been the ideal opportunity. If anything like that comes along I imagine it will be an extended version of the last three albums with the OGs playing on several tracks. Other than that just a new Alice release would keep me happy. I thought Detroit stories was a great album and something similar would be great.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:21 pm

I would love a 4 CD boxset of the 'lost albums' from FTF to Dada. All remastered with nice packaging, liner notes etc. I know there's probably very little in the way of bonus tracks available aside from the live bootlegs from the Special Forces tour.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:26 pm

That's why I'm not a fan of anything like that. I hate that so many older movies are released on Blu-ray with only a 5.1 audio track, when the movies were only mono or stereo when they were released.
I do get it and as long as they still include the original version i dont see the issue (which to the best of my knowledge all blu ray/dvd audio release with that and yes i know movies are a different kettle of fish completely) The surround sound albums can be a revelatory experience. Some of my faves include - Tears for fears song from the big chair, Jeff waynes War of the worlds, dire straits brothers in arms, marillion - fugazi, Queen - The game, Katatonia - the great cold distance, Bryan Adams - reckless, Metallica - black album, GNR appetite.
They dont often replace the original but it is a different experience and often can elicit different emotions when listening to them, especially when its an album you know well.

I must say i adore the Welcome to my nightmare dvd audio and for me it is the definitive version of steven (and many other tracks too) but i generally do prefer the longer mixes.
i think the BDB and muscle of love surround mixes are less successful but still good, the BDB one fairs better but that may be because i dislike muscle of love so much its harder to listen to.

I get the criticism but as long as it doesnt replace the original one its all fair game.

I know there's probably very little in the way of bonus tracks available aside from the live bootlegs from the Special Forces tour
Well at the very least the acetate mix of special forces is a revelation that everyone should own/hear. I still cant fathom that the acetate has a good version of "you look good in rags" and the main album has that awful break where you get to hear the acopella "rags!" section #shudders just thinking of it.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:48 pm

My take on 2023 and mine are a little different than some of the other thoughts here are I want to see Alice really move forward. Let me apologize for the length of my post. I love the original band and solo Alice both, but Alice says he is never going to retire etc. The old adage "You can't go home again" applies when it comes to my hopes and dreams for the Coop. There is supposed to be a new show coming this year. Yes do some of the classic elements to an extent but take the guillotine execution for example. Growing up I used to love that but the last few times I have seen them it doesn't have the same effect for me anymore. Maybe it is because you only get to hear a snippet of "I Love the Dead" now but I would like to see a new execution or even something like the Electric Chair from way back in the day but modernized. And the last couple of years setlist was definitely an improvement but do it even more. More early 80s stuff and more recent album materials mixed in with the classics.

Also and I know many of you disagree but I don't like shows without an opening act. One, it is fun to hear a variety of bands and two, with prices like they are I want more than an hour and a half show if I am going to pay a hundred dollars or more for a ticket.

And as far as the two albums Alice is working on. I would like to hear him go heavier again and a little more modern. The last few albums were good but safe kind of sterile. They were by no means bad albums but sort of those types of albums you buy give it a few listens and enjoy it well enough but then it goes on the shelf and you don't come back to it for another year or two. I am not someone who thinks the 70's stuff is the be all, end all. I love a lot of the later stuff too and there is stuff like Brutal Planet I still listen to as much as any other album and I am on a big early 80's kick. I have thought the songs contributed by the original band on the recent Alice albums fall under that "safe" kind of sterile area like the other songs. In other words, it is all the same regardless of who is writing it and I actually think Alice should continue with the current band but let them contribute more album wise. Roxie has that good 70's glam feel, Tommy is very talented, Chuck likes the heavy stuff, whether it is Nita or Kane you have a shredder let them shred.

And finally (sorry this is so long) but I am not crazy about stuff like Alice being the special guest for some Motley/Def Leppard shows. I mean I get it. It is making a lot of money and means playing really big venues but Alice playing in daylight for an hour tops isn't something I want to pay a ton of money for. I much preferred something like when Alice headlined with Motionless in White and Halestorm opening. When I was at that show, I met some young Motionless in White fans that were there for them. They didn't know much of the Halestorm stuff and knew mostly of the legend of Alice but a few of them left fans. I also met some Halestorm fans and it was the same thing with them. In other words a good mix of the old and the new. You had Alice fans there but also a good diverse audience of people that could be won over.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:34 pm

I think the "ol black eyes" tour was a huge step in the right direction. Finally his solo material got top billing (which for my money it should do) Normally his ACG days get most material but it seems he is finally realizing that there are fans of his solo work and im glad he is finally catering to us!
Im not so bothered by "the show" and while the latest tour had some theatricality to it, i felt it was pretty stripped back for the most part (random giant baby, bloody bride and guillotine as i remember it) which i was more than ok with. I am fine with whatever he decides to do but ideally i want him to shake it all up again. give W2MN and last temptation some love now and put in Wind up toy for the straight jacket bit and all of sudden we have something very special!

I am very excited for the new album (or two?) and tbh i really hope he gets it out sooner than later i really liked W2MN and Paranormal but detroit stories was really not my thing for the most part. I would love him to come out swinging again like he did in 2000 (not saying he needs to go industrial but i would love him to come out with a product he has belief in (play more than 2 songs live) and to do something fresh.
I know people clamor for the ACG to do an album together but going by the last 3 albums of material they have recorded (which you would think is the best material) i am as unimpressed by their songs as you are cooperrocks.

I just want to hear new material and if he has two albums in the bank, then get them both out and tour them!

Also i think alice has had some terrible support bands in recent years (in the UK at least) : the mission, the cult, stranglers, MC5 etc i often like some of the bands, having albums etc but touring with alice seems to bring out their worst side with terrible set lists filled with ballads and fluff.
Creeper supported them on the recent UK tour and i am a huge creeper fan anyway but they did it right, smash some hits keep it light and energetic and get people involved. They seemed to turn a few alice fans over to the cause (i even noticed some of you at the roundhouse show creeper did end of last year!)
Maybe its the curse of the arenas.....I too hate the support slots alice does for motley etc but i get it, it will be a huge pay day for little work on alice's part. its a no brainer. The only down side is working with motley crue! but at least john 5 is with them now who is a genius!