"Give it Up"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Rock10
Killer
Killer

"Give it Up"

Post by Rock10 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 am

I like this song, but it would be better if it was heavier and some of the lyrics were changed. I like the chorus. What is the song really about?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: "Give it Up"

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:45 pm

It has always sounded to me like Alice is saying that "all them riches are fool's gold." The pursuit of money and all that's associated with it wind up being pointless when you're dead. "You used to be so hip when you hung out on the strip." Maybe a bit reflective?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:43 pm

In the Nightmare Returns video Alice waves around some cash, mouths "nothing" and wipes his ass with it. Which makes me want to agree with Dannorama's interpretation. However, reading the lyrics I think it may mean something else.

The lyrics seem to describe someone who lives conservatively and avoids risk while simultaneously hoping that things will magically turn out great for them. They have a "
sensible car" and a "warm little house." They also wish on stars and "wait and wait and... wait for a lifetime." In the end, even though this person is married, has kids, and "all their bills are paid" their ultimate fate is just to stumble into the grave.

I think it's message is "seize the day." Waiting for your dreams to come true isn't enough; you have to take risks if you really want to be alive.

Edit: but you also have the line about "Gucci underwear" so who knows. I wonder if you would get two different answers if you asked Alice and Kane what the song is bout.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Thanks, but there's the line "You really really blew it."

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:43 pm

I always saw it as live your life and seize the day. To live a good exciting life you don't need gucci and all that fake stuff that really doesn't matter. You need other stuff.