Brutally Live Bluray?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Brutally Live Bluray?

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:18 pm

I noticed last night that EAR Music has released a "restored" HD version of "Blow Me A Kiss" from Brutally Live. I can only hope that means an HD Bluray release is under consideration in the near future. That would be amazing.

https://youtu.be/VAZL2YXj6M0
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: Brutally Live Bluray?

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Cool. It's a great concert and I'd love to see a HD release. It would be worth buying just for the performance of Pick Up the Bones alone, but the whole show is great. Alice and the whole band are in top form and the camera work is also really nice. The camera not only captures the action of the show, but also does a nice job of highlighting Alice's "acting" in songs like Only Women Bleed and the aforementioned Pick Up the Bones.

Oh, and Eric Singer added a lot to the show too. The flaming drumstick solo (how does he keep them lit?), the hat toss, and the military drum roll he adds to Pick Up the Bones are all great.

The only thing I don't like about the concert is the volume of the synthesizer in the mix. This is not a criticism of Teddy Andreadis - he's doing exactly what he is paid to do and does it with enthusiasm - it's just that I don't really care for the sound of a synthesizer. Oddly enough, I love the use of organs in rock music and wish they would make a comeback. So if Teddy shows up on the next tour blasting out My God on a pipe organ the size of a barn I'd be cool with that.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Oh, and Eric Singer added a lot to the show too. The flaming drumstick solo (how does he keep them lit?), the hat toss,
I presume you don't remember that the rather terrible drum solo actually went on for allot longer than on the DVD. He spent ages doing double kick drums while drying his hair as they messed around lighting up the sticks.
Drum solos are rarely a good thing (unless kept to no more than 2 minutes) and this was no exception.

I do like some of the nice touches he adds to some of the songs though (like pick up the bones)

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:53 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:03 pm

I presume you don't remember that the rather terrible drum solo actually went on for allot longer than on the DVD.
I've only seen it on dvd. Most of Alice Cooper's stuff is pretty new to me. I'm aware of the classic stuff, owned a tape of Hey Stoopid, a cd of Brutal Planet, and downloaded some bootlegs in the early 2000s. I watched the Olympia Paris show on Youtube two or three weeks ago and I've been obsessively listening to a bunch of his music since then.

I agree with you about drum solos. Pretty much any type of solo for that matter. It's cool if they are performing an actual piece of music, but I get bored pretty quickly when they are just showing off. I'm sure there are exceptions though.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:21 am

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 pm
Oh, and Eric Singer added a lot to the show too. The flaming drumstick solo (how does he keep them lit?), the hat toss, and the military drum roll he adds to Pick Up the Bones are all great.
I knew a drummer that did a flaming stick solo before Y2K.
His technique was to wrap his drumstick tips in cheesecloth.
Soaked in lighter fluid. Just don't have a long solo because you can burn through your drumheads.
Also, keep a wet towel handy. We love the Roadies! :HEART:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:35 am

I never liked the keyboards on this show. I'm surprised he played "It's Hot Tonight."

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:00 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:21 am

I knew a drummer that did a flaming stick solo before Y2K.
His technique was to wrap his drumstick tips in cheesecloth.
Soaked in lighter fluid. Just don't have a long solo because you can burn through your drumheads.
Also, keep a wet towel handy.
Neat. Coincidentally I was just watching the video for Nita Strauss' song Our Most Desperate Hour and her drummer does the same trick at one point.

Rock10 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:35 am
I never liked the keyboards on this show. I'm surprised he played "It's Hot Tonight."
They're just way too loud. I'm sure that can work in some songs, but not on a tune like Brutal Planet. The first minute of the song sounds like a metal god is about to rip your head off and then Aldo Nova shows up or something.

I thought they did a good job with It's Hot Tonight. Caught In A Dream was an odd choice though.

Speaking of the setlist, it would have been wildly inappropriate, but funny, if they had immediately broken into Cold Ethyl right after Pick Up the Bones.