The New PopOff Books

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

The New PopOff Books

Post by Babysquid » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:36 am

I’ve just taken delivery of these two and started on the second “Feed My Frankenstein”.
Is there a shortage of proofreaders in the world at the moment? I’m only a few pages in and it’s a really annoying read. Whole words are missing from sentences which disrupt the reading experience whilst my brain tries to fill in the blanks!
Was the 2018 50 years book this bad? I know most of the text originally appears in that volume but apparently these sets are expanded.
I’ve read his “Who invented Heavy Metal” book and quite enjoyed it and the guy’s hardly inexperienced so I’m a little surprised at the lack of QC.
Other than that I’m only a few pages in and I already disagree with him on the sound of the original group records. I always found them to be great sounding Lps.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The New PopOff Books

Post by Babysquid » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:06 pm

Actually as I’ve got into it they appear less, I’m enjoying it more and more.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:00 am

I completely forgot about these books! they turned up yesterday and i was really puzzled for a minute. havent started reading yet but i will hit the solo years first then go back to the band days.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:00 am
I completely forgot about these books! they turned up yesterday and i was really puzzled for a minute. havent started reading yet but i will hit the solo years first then go back to the band days.
That’s exactly what I’ve done! It must be something in the air!

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:15 am

Have done a small write-up on these books (to go alongside my thoughts on the original publication) on my website here:

https://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk/ ... ion/books/

You can currently buy the original Deluxe Edition book for just £20 (it used to be £60), which is much better value than the £34 for these two separately (regardless of the small additional content):

https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/webshop/books ... e-edition/
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:31 pm

I'm not a big fan of Popoff's writing, or his thoughts on music for that matter.

Despite already having his Welcome to My Nightmare, I bought these for the additional extras.

It doesn't seem like he's added that much to either period, especially not in the way of new contributors or expanding on what was already said. Without the glossy pages and big photos that he has in the first book, the lack of real substance is more apparent. There is some good stuff in them though, a few of the blackout era quotes being of special note.

I completely agree that you're best buying the original book at the new reduced price if you've got any interest in what he's put together.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:07 pm

VinceRaven wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:31 pm
I completely agree that you're best buying the original book at the new reduced price if you've got any interest in what he's put together.
To his credit even Popoff has posted that if you have the original book you don't need to buy these unless you *really* want both versions in your collection.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:28 pm

To his credit even Popoff has posted that if you have the original book you don't need to buy these unless you *really* want both versions in your collection.
wish i would have read that before getting them hahaha