The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:00 am

Yeah, I get it.

If you don't have it, I highly recommmend the original VHS. I don't have it but a friend of mine does and to watch it on his 19" RCA CRT television through it's 3" speaker is mind blowing.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:41 am

>If you don't have it, I highly recommmend the original VHS. I don't have it but a friend of mine does and to watch it on his 19" RCA CRT television through it's 3" speaker is mind blowing.

I know how delicate and sensitive you are, so I'll start by saying this is not meant as a personal attack. It should go without saying but there - I've said it. Now, I've just read what you've written above and either you are incredibly confused, or I am, because in your first post, you wrote: "Like many of you who purchased TSCOAC dvd, I found the audio on this barely above the sq of the multi-generational VHS dubs we had previous." and later, you wrote "I didn't own an original vhs of TSCOA it was not a title widely available and was out only a limited time. I know of only one friend who has an oiginal copy and even he bought it second hand", so this is what I find confusing. Why were you comparing the DVD to "multi-generational VHS dubs" when you could have compared it to the "original VHS" that your friend owns? Did you do that? If so, is your point that the the "original VHS" is better than the more recent version? I don't think there are many here who would agree with that, but I could be wrong. If you didn't compare them, why would you compare it something that is not an original copy? What would be the point of that? It isn't the fault of Shout Factory that despite the fact that an original VHS existed, you didn't own it. Would it not have made more sense to to compare the DVD to the original and if that wasn't possible, I still don't see why you would compare it to a "multi-generational" copy that you own. I genuinely don't understand. Thanks.

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Luney Tune » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 am

I don`t prefer anything related to TSOAC at all. It`s as I `ve said in other threads earlier not good at all.

- The show is too Broadwayish.
- Alice singing ??? More like staccato talking. Not singing the lyrics correct either.
- He don`t look good either. He looks sick - physically.
- The electric chair sequence just look plain silly !

Only positive thing is that the bands playing is ok.

And to all of you that thinks the above is wrong ! It is only my opinion !
It`s all in this luney tune....

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 am

I Like the Stange case tour. I Find that the singing and all that was part of the character

But that's me

thenightmare92
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by thenightmare92 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:49 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:I Like the Stange case tour. I Find that the singing and all that was part of the character

But that's me
I agree, how he sings in this tour kind of plays on the "crazy" character he portrays in this show.

I like the tour, just find it unfortunate that certain parts (him actually coming out of the screen, last verse of Nurse Rozetta, All Strapped Up, etc) were found unfit to put on the VHS. As for the audio, I understand how stereo may sound better, but at least the mono sound is better than the Welcome To My Nightmare audio on its video release (in my opinion) as I found it to have the bass drown out the actual guitar

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:47 am

>I like the tour, just find it unfortunate that certain parts (him actually coming out of the screen, last verse of Nurse Rozetta, All Strapped Up, etc) were found unfit to put on the VHS.

"Dead Babies" is missing also.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:52 am

From what I've read on this site it sounds like certain parts were missing due to the magic screen bits not translating well. Even the opening to "From The Inside" is a little "edited."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 pm

>How great would it be if it inspired someone at Nightmare Inc. to get involved and produce a better product - instead of engaging in petty behaviour.

It had NOTHING to do with "Nightmare Inc." - stick to a subject you know something about.

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Hey, everybody just calm down...

Back to the point, Bob I've done my share of fiddling with audio but have never ventured into video audio. What software do you use?

I have a digital copy of television broadcast (not Alice, before you get too excited) that has audio in only one channel, and i want to copy that audio over to the other channel, make it "dual-mono". Seems like a simple enough job to start with...

I think it's great, btw, that you chose to upgrade some audio in a video and hope you find a place to share it! I'm always amazed at how on-line sharing, in all it's forms, is able to provide more and/or better results than multi-million dollar corporations. All the rare out of print stuff that is available for free is great, but projects like this are nice too for us who are far too obsessed. :laugh:

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Crazy Little Child wrote:Hey, everybody just calm down...

Back to the point, Bob I've done my share of fiddling with audio but have never ventured into video audio. What software do you use?

I have a digital copy of television broadcast (not Alice, before you get too excited) that has audio in only one channel, and i want to copy that audio over to the other channel, make it "dual-mono". Seems like a simple enough job to start with...

I think it's great, btw, that you chose to upgrade some audio in a video and hope you find a place to share it! I'm always amazed at how on-line sharing, in all it's forms, is able to provide more and/or better results than multi-million dollar corporations. All the rare out of print stuff that is available for free is great, but projects like this are nice too for us who are far too obsessed. :laugh:
For something like what you want to do, first extract the audio from the video (there's programs out there - google's you're friend). Then using an audio program, like Audacity (it's free!) just copy one channel over to the other. Then using video editing software (Sony Vegas, Final Cut whatever) insert the audio track onto your video and output to dvd (or whatever you output to).

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>The petty behaviour?

There was no "petty behaviour", but in any case, I was referring to your to Nightmare Inc. reference.
the two are attached

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
For something like what you want to do, first extract the audio from the video (there's programs out there - google's you're friend). Then using an audio program, like Audacity (it's free!) just copy one channel over to the other. Then using video editing software (Sony Vegas, Final Cut whatever) insert the audio track onto your video and output to dvd (or whatever you output to).
Thanks. Audacity is my go-to. It hadn't occurred to me it was as simple as separating the audio file from the DVD - i was assuming i'd have to do it all within some video editing platform. Sometimes the easy answers are just to easy for me to figure out. :)

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 pm

I had a chance to listen to the redux version and it is MUCH better then the original audio. Well done :rock:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 am

>the two are attached

You misunderstand. You wrote: "How great would it be if it inspired someone at Nightmare Inc. to get involved". However, as I think has been already pointed out, the DVD was put together by Shout Factory - Nightmare Inc., had nothing to do with it.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:34 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Crazy Little Child wrote:Hey, everybody just calm down...

Audacity is a great audio editor and like Bob says is free, the video editors he listed I don't think are. I use Serif which isn't free but reasonably priced and I've found it better than say AVS which I did use.
Windows Movie Maker is free but has some compatibility issues with Windows 8 which is why I went to Serif which I used to create this using old film footage and audio from a cassette tape edited in Audacity of a band I used to be in.

http://youtu.be/CBlyZWqKTa0

Bob if you want to pm me your Redux link id like to have a listen to hear what you've done.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Can we please end the petty school boy bickering. The worthwhile discussion in this thread (video editing etc) is being buried by the same old people trying to drag up old arguments.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Going way back on this thread re the sound- I now recall many attempts to improve the sound by playing through different stereo equipment(linking my VHS to stereo)-this was in the 80s from memory and my knowledge of hifi as it was then was not good-at least it gave my friends a laugh- still have the VHS copy somewhere-liked the concert apart from the pull out limousine on stage
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:22 pm

recoop wrote:Going way back on this thread re the sound- I now recall many attempts to improve the sound by playing through different stereo equipment(linking my VHS to stereo)-this was in the 80s from memory and my knowledge of hifi as it was then was not good-at least it gave my friends a laugh- still have the VHS copy somewhere-liked the concert apart from the pull out limousine on stage
putting the VHS through the hi fi yep I did that too and recorded the video sound onto cassette, how technology has moved on!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 am

steven_crayn wrote:
recoop wrote:Going way back on this thread re the sound- I now recall many attempts to improve the sound by playing through different stereo equipment(linking my VHS to stereo)-this was in the 80s from memory and my knowledge of hifi as it was then was not good-at least it gave my friends a laugh- still have the VHS copy somewhere-liked the concert apart from the pull out limousine on stage
putting the VHS through the hi fi yep I did that too and recorded the video sound onto cassette, how technology has moved on!
I did that on with more than one VHS back in the day, including stuff i taped from TV. Felt so sneaky & high tech it did! Just this week i've learned how to extract audio direct from a DVD, able to convert to any format right on the spot with no loss in quality.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:59 am

mestreech wrote:I had a chance to listen to the redux version and it is MUCH better then the original audio. Well done :rock:
Glad you liked it.