The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Strange Case of Alice Cooper, fixed it!

Post by SickThings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:I understand just fine, I just don't operate under binary thinking like you do. If we all operated under your philosophy, 90% of the content of youtube would have to be removed permanently and the interest in youtube would drastically be reduced and collapse whatever business model youtube currently operates under.
Actually, 90% of it should be removed. People know they post stuff they don't own, and they don't care. YouTube leaves it up to the copyright holder to complain, and somehow, they've managed to get away with that. I'm amazed that the studios and RIAA still try to sue individual people, while thousands of full movies and albums sit on YouTube. They get away with it partially because they're Google, but mostly because no one wants to pay a team of people to scour YouTube day and night finding infringements.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right.

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 pm

>I understand just fine, I just don't operate under binary thinking like you do.

Well, if you did, you maybe would understand a little more about how the rest of the world actually functions.

>If we all operated under your philosophy, 90% of the content of youtube would have to be removed permanently

Until YouTube operates with a fairer "business model", maybe that's exactly what should happen. That is what the Napster dispute was about. That is what Thom Yorke's complaint with Spotify is about. Are you telling me I should be worried about the survival of YouTube or something? Why should I care? By the way, there is nothing in your post which is about the specific issue under discussion, but we're all getting used to your diversionary tactics by now, I think.

>and the interest in youtube would drastically be reduced and collapse whatever business model youtube currently operates under.

How is that my problem? I strongly doubt you care about YouTube, though. I wonder if you also worry about the, possibly, thousands of people (none of whom are rich rocks stars) who have lost their livelihoods because self - righteous prigs with a sense of entitlement think they should take what they want without paying for it just because the tools exist which allow them to do that. You are quite something, I have to say.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Nothing against you personally, I Don't know you. But it seems you don't understand how does this work. Links in here NO
Doesn't matter if everyone does. Here you won't.

If SHout factory releases material you post Shout factory's link not yours

In the case of bootlegs, here are forbidden also (kind of sad, if it's not for sale) So, link that are not official, Keep'em for you

And most important, we all got the oportunity to get an incredible recording of a show (that Personally was impossible for me to see), so Don't complain about it! If you like your own work on its sound. Good and keep it to yourself. Don't talk us into don't like a sound source and prefer the other :)

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Nothing against you personally, I Don't know you. But it seems you don't understand how does this work. Links in here NO
Doesn't matter if everyone does. Here you won't.

If SHout factory releases material you post Shout factory's link not yours

In the case of bootlegs, here are forbidden also (kind of sad, if it's not for sale) So, link that are not official, Keep'em for you

And most important, we all got the oportunity to get an incredible recording of a show (that Personally was impossible for me to see), so Don't complain about it! If you like your own work on its sound. Good and keep it to yourself. Don't talk us into don't like a sound source and prefer the other :)

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 pm

I bought the DVD when it came out and enjoyed a tour that I had missed. Wasn't annoyed by any anomalies in the soundtrack either. A spoiler alert should be posted here because the next time I watch it (and I will - it's AC after all) I will be tuned to soundtrack instead of the action onstage. I have enjoyed the copyright education and site rules review, though. :bam:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 pm

As usual people are going to extremes over something fairly innocuous. TB did something pretty cool and wanted to share it with some fans. It is very doubtful that his actions caused ANY harm to the SHOUT page. I don't think TB has thousands of followers. However, there are rules here so next time, if there is a next time with all the complainers I don't know why he'd bother, he should post what he has done without the link with an offer to provide one with a PM. I might be wrong but that is within the rules.

I am quite amazed at some here that don't care about the audio sound of the music. I am not talking about the general public here I am talking about so called hard core fans. Why settle for a lesser source when there is a better one available? Maybe you don't think his music is that important. The great things about fans doing stuff like this is sometimes labels listen and take advice. The result is a better product. Look at the new Beatles BBC set. They reached out to those naughty fans who had these illegal recordings and asked for copies. The result is a new set and lots of new upgrades. Without doubt Hobnail's boots led to a lot of the thinking about the values of this set.

The problem with this site, IMHO, is the link to Alice Cooper. People feel the need to protect him as they want the freebies and exclusives that go with it. Anuk seems to act like Alice's attorney.

As for those wishing 90 percent of Youtube being removed you are laughable. Maybe you want the internet shut down too. Technology is here and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Amuk said about TB.

I strongly doubt you care about YouTube, though. I wonder if you also worry about the, possibly, thousands of people (none of whom are rich rocks stars) who have lost their livelihoods because self - righteous prigs with a sense of entitlement think they should take what they want without paying for it just because the tools exist which allow them to do that. You are quite something, I have to say.

I'd say he cares about Youtube. He took the time to post his improved sound video. Could you please provide some examples of artists who have lost their livelyhoods thanks to Youtube and the like? Maybe you should harass Bill Gates and the companies that made VHS machines,cassette recorders,cd and dvd copiers. I can give you the names of some companies if you like. I trust you have now paid back all the royalties on your VHS copies and bootleg tapes that you didn't pay for now that you are not
a " self righteous prig with a sense of entitlement ".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:07 pm

As usual people are going to extremes over something fairly innocuous.

I think the only extreme reaction was from Toronto Bob who didn't seem to understand that posting that link can cause a problem for this site. Despite the request from the owner (Toronto Bob is a guest here, like we all are), Toronto Bob ignored that. That is the only thing he did wrong.

>TB did something pretty cool and wanted to share it with some fans.

As explained, he could have done that without posting the link.

>It is very doubtful that his actions caused ANY harm to the SHOUT page.

You are missing the point. If hundreds of people did what he did with material belonging to Shout Factory, it could affect them in a negative way.

>I don't think TB has thousands of followers.

Again, that isn't the point.

>However, there are rules here so next time, if there is a next time with all the complainers I don't know why he'd bother,

Are you posting without having read all the posts in this thread? Again, nobody is stopping him from doing what he did. He can do it without posting a link. After all, that's what he did in this thread. It isn't hard to understand.

>he should post what he has done without the link with an offer to provide one with a PM. I might be wrong but that is within the rules.

He already did that. Are you posting without having read all the posts in this thread?

> Why settle for a lesser source when there is a better one available?

Maybe because people have different lives compared with you and Toronto Bob and they don't have the time, energy or money to worry about the highest quality sound. Maybe they don't consume music in the way that you do.

> The great things about fans doing stuff like this is sometimes labels listen and take advice.

None of that is untrue, but in this instance, the King Biscuit Flower Hour recording was probably not a consideration for a variety of reasons.

> The result is a better product. Look at the new Beatles BBC set. They reached out to those naughty fans who had these illegal recordings and asked for copies.

We did the same with "Old School". What is your point?

>The problem with this site, IMHO, is the link to Alice Cooper.

Which "link" is that? It is made clear on this site that there is no "link to Alice Cooper" - take a look as it is stated quite plainly.

>People feel the need to protect him as they want the freebies and exclusives that go with it.

You need to learn the difference between being a sceptic and a cynic
and rid yourself of the inexplicable jealousy and bitterness you have.

> Anuk seems to act like Alice's attorney.

Obviously, you haven't understood the issue - it is about the rules of the site and nothing else.

>As for those wishing 90 percent of Youtube being removed you are laughable.

There is no "those" - it was ONLY one person who said that.

Say that to the struggling artists who can't make ends meet because their rights are being infringed. Would you be willing to record an album, or make a film, or write a book and not get paid for it?

> Maybe you want the internet shut down too.

He didn't say anything even remotely close to that.

> here and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

I don't think anyone is actually trying to. For example, Mettalica had a problem with Napster, not with the internet itself.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks pitkin - you get it and I appreciate the moral support. As far as posting a link, perhaps it's a transgression of the rules. I misread or misinterpreted the rules, I thought it meant no downloading of released material as in a full album dvd or complete songs. I didn't think I was doing anything that wasn't done here beofre because I'm sure I've seen threads that have had links to Beat Club clips and the like and iirc they weren't removed and I don't think people chastized the original poster.

I post semi-regular to other message boards of other artists I have an interest in and usually things like this (personal projects that upgrade a product or something of the like) are very welcomed and encouraged. This AC "community" such as it is, clearly doesn't like anyone doing anything like this - odd but so be it. It must be the authoritarian frame of mind that seems to grip many Alice fans.

For some facinating reading on the subject, I highly recommend this
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

For those who want a quick definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarian_personality

My theory is the AC image and mythology cultivated and attracted these types. Not everyone, just when you consider the community as a whole. Just like in the Rush community (which I also am a member of) attracts many Ayn Rand devotees and libertarian types or the Frank Zappa community that attracts more free thinkers and libertarians (and some anarchists).

Anywho, amuk you win - I have no interest in sharing anything like this in the future - it's clearly not respected or appreciated by most people here. Many didn't even notice how poor the dvd audio was for TSCOAC and when informed that there was a much better source, they didn't care to hear it because it wasn't auhorized (that's were the authoritarian mind set comes into play)

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:41 pm

I don't speak for Andy, but i speak as a fan of Alice, simply posting that there is (Insert song or concert) available on Youtube, would be sufficient, i think.

I shall do it, there is a link to Alice singing Poison on Youtube, no link available, find it yourself.

There you go, easily done.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:49 pm

>I'd say he cares about Youtube.

Really? Why would he care about a multi - billion dollar organisation?

> He took the time to post his improved sound video.

How is that caring about YouTube though? It shows he cares about improving sound. It doesn't show me "he cares me about Youtube" though.

> Could you please provide some examples of artists who have lost their livelyhoods thanks to Youtube and the like?

I didn't say ANYTHING about "artists who have lost their livelyhoods" and it's becoming clearer that you're not really following this discussion. You are reacting in a 'knee - jerk' way as a result of your own perception. I actually only referred to "artists" AFTER your post. I was referring to people who worked at record companies, at publishing houses, in record stores, in studios and in warehouses, all of whom have been affected by copyright infringement. Why do you think record stores, including small independent stores have been closing down? Why do you think less and less labels exist? Why do you think less labels are taking on new artists if you think there is no problem? Are you really saying that the record industry has NOT been affected by file - sharing and other online activity? Have you not picked up a newspaper or watched the news in the last fourteen years or so? I don't deny some artists have actually been helped by file - sharing (ironically, Metallica's rise was helped by their audience sharing their music on cassettes, before the internet as we know it existed) but that doesn't help those artists who don't achieve the kind of success that Metallica did and it was sites like Megaupload and RapidShare that were making fortunes by ensuring the artists were being paid. I don't even deny that in some cases, the record companies damaged themselves by charging high prices for recorded music and by fighting against "Youtube and the like" instead of finding a way to work with 'the enemy' to make sure everyone gets paid it (which they are now frantically trying to do). It just seems strange that some people would be happy to basically steal from the artists that they claim to be supporters of by helping the pirates make all the money. It doesn't make sense. That isn't to say file - sharing can't help break new artists but it has to be monetized so that they can be paid and it doesn't seem right that YouTube will make more money from "School's Out" than, say, Michael Bruce will, just because so many people have illegally uploaded that track (and that's before you consider the bands and artists that is also going to happen to and which will never experience the success that Michael did). Dave Rowntree (of Blur), Robert Smith, Bono, Gene Simmons and Prince have all spoken out against online piracy and not just for their own selfish reasons but because there are artists who don't have the security they have. Prince and Kiss (for a while) refused to record anything until they found a solution that met their needs. Perhaps you'd be happy for example for Alice or Dennis Dunaway to never record again as a result. There are also many artists (such as Dave Grohl or Joss Stone)who are happy not to get paid but some artists don't have that luxury and as I said, it isn't just the artists who are affected. However, if you STILL think there are no"examples of" bands who are struggling because of piracy, I suggest you use a search engine and do some research. You will learn what bands such as Vernian Process, Escape the Clouds, and Clockwork Dolls have to say about the issue.

> Maybe you should harass Bill Gates and the companies that made VHS machines,cassette recorders,cd and dvd copiers.

Try infringing any of Bill Gates' rights and see what happens! However, you're confusing what went on from the sixties onwards with what happened in the nineties and beyond, which was piracy on an unprecedented scale and that is down to the technology (and by the way, I'm aware of the irony that in the early days, Alice Cooper was funded by the sale of bootleg albums).

>I can give you the names of some companies if you like.

My employer actually does business with Gates personally, so I can track him down myself if I need to, but thanks.

> I trust you have now paid back all the royalties on your VHS copies and bootleg tapes that you didn't pay for now that you are not a " self righteous prig with a sense of entitlement ".

Again, you're missing the point. I never said I had a problem with sharing material per se - just that the infrastructure as it exists now (as you put it "Youtube and the like") is not sharing it's revenues and if you post material online so that it is available to the entire world, that is different from sending it to one specific individual directly. If you think "the companies that made VHS machines,cassette recorders,cd and dvd" enabled copyright infringement in the way that say, Pirate Bay did, then you haven't understood the issue. You are also confusing software with hardware, but that's a different debate. As Lucious Mothem said, if Toronto Bob wanted to provide a link, he could have provided the Shout Factory link. Otherwise, if we extend your logic, nobody will ever pay for music ever again. The trick is to find the balance between the technological infrastructure and those that create the content. That is why I encourage everyone to join Spotify (or Pandora in America) which for all it's faults, could eventually reduce the amount of illegal file - sharing that happens because it just won't be worth it.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:03 pm

> As far as posting a link, perhaps it's a transgression of the rules.

No, it definitely was.

>I thought it meant no downloading of released material as in a full album dvd or complete songs.

I think it means that as well.

>I didn't think I was doing anything that wasn't done here beofre because I'm sure I've seen threads that have had links to Beat Club clips and the like and iirc they weren't removed and I don't think people chastized the original poster.

In most cases, they have. Again, this WHOLE issue is about what the owner of the site wants. He doesn't need any hassle just because someone posts a link without thinking.

>This AC "community" such as it is, clearly doesn't like anyone doing anything like this - odd but so be it.

You keep doing this and I'm not sure why. With no disrespect to the owner of this site, this forum is not the "AC "community"" and I'm not sure why you would think it is. There are more Alice Cooper supporters and collectors who are not part of this forum than who are. It doesn't represent the views of everyone who has an opinion on any particular subject.

> It must be the authoritarian frame of mind that seems to grip many Alice fans.

That might just be your paranoia.

>My theory is the AC image and mythology cultivated and attracted these types. Not everyone, just when you consider the community as a whole.

Yes, I thought so - you're paranoid.

>Anywho, amuk you win

I didn't realise it was a contest.

>I have no interest in sharing anything like this in the future

What you do or don't do in your private life is not my concern. In relation to this thread, I was referring only to this site.

> - it's clearly not respected or appreciated by most people here.

Paranoia and low self - esteem. How interesting.

>Many didn't even notice how poor the dvd audio was for TSCOAC

That is because that is not true.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:39 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Anywho, amuk you win

I didn't realise it was a contest.
Says Mr. Last Word
>Many didn't even notice how poor the dvd audio was for TSCOAC

That is because that is not true
What are you sayiing is not true? People not noticing the lo-fi audio soundtrack or that the dvd audio soundtrack is not of poor quality?

The paranoia comment is so silly I'll just say you need a dictionary and need to look up the meaning of words you use, your ignorance is showing and I know you try very hard to hide that.

And this from a guy who used to sell copied cassettes of bootlegs - real classy amuk. How low can you get? - it's one step above begging for coins on the street. Surely you're embarrassed by your past behaviour - perhaps it explains your current obtuse behaviour. You feel you've sinned against your master and want desperately to make amends. Not to worry amuk, I'm sure Uncle Alice feels sorry for you and has forgiven your sins.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:53 am

pitkin88 wrote:As for those wishing 90 percent of Youtube being removed you are laughable. Maybe you want the internet shut down too. Technology is here and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
My comment said nothing about wishing it were removed. I said 90% of it should be removed. The reason I said that, since you seem to be too obtuse to understand what people write, is that YouTube's rules (yes, they have rules, just like this site and most others) clearly state that copyrighted material is not to be uploaded unless the uploader is the copyright holder. That's their way of covering their butts ("We told them not to do that"), but they leave it up to the actual copyright holders to report infringements. 90% may be a bit high, as there is a lot of original content on YouTube, too, but there is a vast amount of illegally-posted videos. By YouTube's rules---and the copyright laws---those shouldn't be allowed and should be removed, but clearly the majority aren't.

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 am

>What are you sayiing is not true? People not noticing the lo-fi audio soundtrack or that the dvd audio soundtrack is not of poor quality?

The latter statement (which makes the first statement irrelevant). As for the "audio soundtrack" being of "poor quality", you could have chosen to have that discussion instead of trying to justify posting that link on this site (and as for whether or not it is "poor quality", that is subjective).

>The paranoia comment is so silly I'll just say you need a dictionary and need to look up the meaning of words you use, your ignorance is showing and I know you try very hard to hide that.

That must be true because obviously, you have displayed no signs of a persecution complex in this thread.

>And this from a guy who used to sell copied cassettes of bootlegs -

Try and learn the facts before you reach a decision. Not that I owe *you* an explanation, but I by my best estimate betweween 1984 and 1986, I sold at the most, maybe a couple of handfuls of recordings. Does that make it right? Absolutely not. Does it compare with the industrial scale of file - sharing that now happens? Of course not.

>real classy amuk. How low can you get? -

I think you've mistaken me for Kim Schmitz or something.

> it's one step above begging for coins on the street.

Actually, it was the other way round - people were "begging" me for copies and since I someone had to pay for the cassttes and postage. Does that make it right? Of course not, but I've never denied it.

>Surely you're embarrassed by your past behaviour -

Not particularly. If I was the type who went on a torrent site and downloaded for free, hundreds, maybe thousands, of individual tracks, I certainly would be. Again and for what must now be the third time, I was not making a moral judgement about what you did. Show me where I did that. All I said was that at the owner's request, don't post that link on this site. It was you that extended the debate into a discussion about copyright, not to justify uploading that footage in the first place but justify posting the link on this site.

>You feel you've sinned against your master and want desperately to make amends.

I like the theory but having heard "Lace And Whiskey", "Dirty Diamonds" and "Along Came A Spider", I am the one who is owed an apology.

> Not to worry amuk, I'm sure Uncle Alice feels sorry for you and has forgiven your sins.

I am sure Shout Factory feel the same about you as well.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 am

>That's their way of covering their butts ("We told them not to do that"), but they leave it up to the actual copyright holders to report infringements.

Exactly and they don't always pay attention to them, either.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Oh my, This is incredible you need to use a minimal percentage of your brain to understand that NOBODY is criticizing you for trying to improve the dvd for yourself, We're just criticizing you for sharing something you don't own legally in a website where it is forbidden to share this kind of material

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 pm

The rules on post linking to Youtube (and similar) have probably caused me more headaches then just about anything short of the childish in-fighting that happens.
This is because I myself don't completely agree with them.

Yes, Shock Horror, I wrote them and don't like it.

Personally I see nothing really wrong with TB's idea and wish to share what he had done to illustrate what he was talking about. I think it's great that someone cares enough to do that work.

But, and it's a BIG but (ahem) it IS illegal and everything Andy has said about it is correct. That is the problem.

If the site (and by implication me) is seen to be promoting copyright infringement that is a big issue and I don't want to be doing that.
I doubt very much the AC organisation themselves would do anything particularly nasty, thus negating the suggestion above about 'favours and freebies' or whatever the poster termed it, as they know if they wanted it removed I would do so as soon as I could. Howevr the organisations who OWN the copyright might cause me more grief them I want to subject myself to and would have a right to do so if they so wished.

Actual bootlegs are a pretty clear cut thing but YouTube is seen as more of a gray area, which it actually shouldn't be but it is.

We let a lot of links to YouTube slide, to interviews or clips of stuff otherwise unavailable but things that ARE officially available is where it gets more tricky. For example technically a link to 'Poison' posted by Sony would be fine, but the exact same video, for example uploaded by Lucius, would not as he doesn't own the video.

It can be seen as a little silly but that is the reality of the line we walk.
In a different world we could remove that part of the rules and have a board section just for bootleg live recordings et al (but not pirate recordings of course) for people to share freely, but that just isn't possible. I personally wish it was.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:56 pm

>Personally I see nothing really wrong with TB's idea and wish to share what he had done to illustrate what he was talking about. I think it's great that someone cares enough to do that work.

Exactly and again, nobody was making a moral judgement.

> Howevr the organisations who OWN the copyright might cause me more grief them I want to subject myself to and would have a right to do so if they so wished.

Exactly. For some reason, some people think Alice is the only person or entity that has an commercial interest in this.

>In a different world we could remove that part of the rules and have a board section just for bootleg live recordings et al (but not pirate recordings of course) for people to share freely, but that just isn't possible.

There is no shortage of those sites, of course.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:
>In a different world we could remove that part of the rules and have a board
>section just for bootleg live recordings et al (but not pirate recordings of c
>ourse) for people to share freely, but that just isn't possible.

There is no shortage of those sites, of course.
No, but if I did it it would, in AC terms at least, make those sites completely redundant :rotfl: