All you want is in the limo

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: All you want is in the limo

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 am

Jumping Jack wrote:Haven't read the book, but that is one butt-ugly cover!
Reminds me of a famous saying.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Have read portions of this and am looking forward to getting it-three of my favorite bands in one setting!
Looking back on it, the excess REALLY began that year or maybe the year before (especially The Rolling Stones 1972 tour) and probably continued until the summer of 1979 when gas prices rose drastically and people had other things to worry about.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Right, it can't be said that excess necessarily started at one point but in 1973 it seemed to reach a critical mass. Very interesting book and it was great that the author understood the significance of the Alice tour and included it. The behind the scenes interviews are great.

It's interesting how the band was already drifting apart during the B$B tour (and even before) which is sad because it was when they finally attained their greatest success.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 pm

For me, a lot seemed to change around 1973/4-apart from Alice Cooper breaking up, Bowie had changed, the Faces split up and Rod went Hollywood in years to come- disco/dance flotsam was getting higher in UK charts-Glam Rock had subsided- bands seemed to be going more mainstream-maybe this related to the tv market where groups would have to be cleaner- I have a feeling excess was going on long before 1973 though-- I routinely wonder whether Alice Cooper would have been more revered if they had not released MOL(or at least so quick after BDB) and did more BDB touring say in Europe..and then had a years break- may have been seen as an all conquering band with the public demanding a new album-only an opinion-other bands retained their popularity why not AC? (even if band was in a state of flux)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Time off would have been perfect after B$B, it's possible people could have ironed out their differences and stayed together. I think a live album would have been a good idea while they took time off. If they stayed together Alice would have presented the band with his WTMN idea. It's interesting to imagine how different that album and tour would have been if that happened.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:36 am

>If they stayed together Alice would have presented the band with his WTMN idea.

According to him, he did.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:37 am

If memory serves me correctly, it has been said that inner sleeve of WTMN album had been printed with pic of original group- was this just a mistake or were at least some band members actively considering developing the album I wonder
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 pm

>it has been said that inner sleeve of WTMN album had been printed with pic of original group

I doubt it.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:52 pm

recoop wrote:For me, a lot seemed to change around 1973/4-apart from Alice Cooper breaking up, Bowie had changed, the Faces split up and Rod went Hollywood in years to come- disco/dance flotsam was getting higher in UK charts-Glam Rock had subsided- bands seemed to be going more mainstream-maybe this related to the tv market where groups would have to be cleaner- I have a feeling excess was going on long before 1973 though-- I routinely wonder whether Alice Cooper would have been more revered if they had not released MOL(or at least so quick after BDB) and did more BDB touring say in Europe..and then had a years break- may have been seen as an all conquering band with the public demanding a new album-only an opinion-other bands retained their popularity why not AC? (even if band was in a state of flux)
A lot of good points here, along with Dark Menace. They really should have taken the rest of the year at least off, rest and recharge and release a live album or Greatest Hits for the years end. Then get MUSCLE OF LOVE out and maybe have a couple more years together. But, this is all speculation. There may have still been band flux and WTMN might not have been as good as it is with the original band.
And ReCoop, you are not alone in your observations of music changing so much. LOVE just about everything musically from 1964-74, but quality in general seemed to be missing from 1974 and although there's certainly been some great music since, it seemed to me I had do do a little more digging.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 am

A lot of good points here, along with Dark Menace. They really should have taken the rest of the year at least off, rest and recharge and release a live album or Greatest Hits for the years end. Then get MUSCLE OF LOVE out and maybe have a couple more years together. But, this is all speculation. There may have still been band flux and WTMN might not have been as good as it is with the original band.
And ReCoop, you are not alone in your observations of music changing so much. LOVE just about everything musically from 1964-74, but quality in general seemed to be missing from 1974 and although there's certainly been some great music since, it seemed to me I had do do a little more digging.
I totally agree, However, graveyards all over he world are full of if's, but's and maybe's and we need to be able to fully appreciate what we have had. I think that us older fans who were lucky enough to grow up with the original band will always hanker for what we know full well will never be. We need to remind ourselves that we witnessed history in the making, and when I put the original vinyl on the deck with it's crackles and skips I'm 13 again not 54 awaiting a full knee replacement Lol.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm

SickThings wrote:
darkmenace wrote:To clarify: the author doesn't claim to have overheard this comment years ago. He is apparently basing it on an interview with David Libert. This is the exact wording in the book:

David Libert cites Bob Greene's unsparing inside account of the Muscle of Love tour, published in 1974, as the decisive factor in the break up. "The book came out and that changed everything. Alice read the book and said, 'I don't want to work with these guys any more.'"

It's possible that the author made up this quote which he attributes to David Libert. It's also possible (and more likely) that the author interviewed Mr. Libert and that's what he said.
Which still doesn't mean that it's an actual quote from Alice. It may well have summed up Aice's feelings at the time, but it's still hearsay. People often attribute quotes to people to summarize a situation when the exact words weren't actually spoken. (Or maybe he did say those exact words. No one will ever know for sure unless an audio recording of Alice saying them is produced.)

Hunter
Didn't even think about this until a day or so ago, but whether Alice actually said this or not is moot by this point -been discussed to death. From the break up onwards, Alice has always spoken positively about the original band and it appears they all stayed on friendly terms, especially after The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with W2MN, The Pudding show, OLD SCHOOL and MILLION MILES MORE.
Also, haven't any of you worked or shared an apartment with friends and you got sick of them after awhile, because you're always around them? Lost a couple of friends in these circumstances. Think Alice still loved the guys, he just did not want to work with them anymore-these things happen.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 pm

>Think Alice still loved the guys, he just did not want to work with them anymore-these things happen.

Exactly. What a shocking concept.

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Just got the book. did a little flick through it and it looks very promising.
I also found an error, which is kinda worrying just from a brief look through. There is a Picture from a live sex show the band and associates attended during the SO tour. Book says it was in Amsterdam, but I know for sure it was in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I owned the original magazine which had the full story and all the pics can still be bought from the Danish photographer's website.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

>http://www....

For some reason, some people have short memories:
"The Rules:

1. Membership in the SickthingsUK Message Board is completely free and is open to anyone. As such please be aware that your messages are likely to be read by children as well as adults. Adult content, especially of an overt sexual nature, is not allowed and any post of that nature will be either edited or deleted at the discression of the moderators."

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 am

Well, I never expected an Alice Cooper fan site to be the house of morality and censorship. What is this world coming to :bam:

Anyway, my point was just to prove it took place in Copenhagen, not Amsterdam.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 am

>Well, I never expected an Alice Cooper fan site to be the house of morality and censorship. What is this world coming to

Did you not read the "READ THIS FIRST - Board Rules and Guidelines" section when you joined?

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:20 pm

I probably did, it's quite a few years ago.

It did not cross my mind that children would be traumatized by those pics. A pre puberty kid would most likely just shake his/her head and move on to more interesting stuff and kids who are interested in "overt sexual nature" have plenty other sites to choose from.

I'd better stop posting here alltogether, as I can't promise that a foul word may not spring from my liberal mind.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:07 pm

>It did not cross my mind that children would be traumatized by those pics. A pre puberty kid would most likely just shake his/her head and move on to more interesting stuff and kids who are interested in "overt sexual nature" have plenty other sites to choose from.

That may or may not be true but all of us are guests of the person who owns this site, so he gets to set the rules.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:11 pm

TodayMueller wrote:I probably did, it's quite a few years ago.

It did not cross my mind that children would be traumatized by those pics. A pre puberty kid would most likely just shake his/her head and move on to more interesting stuff and kids who are interested in "overt sexual nature" have plenty other sites to choose from.

I'd better stop posting here alltogether, as I can't promise that a foul word may not spring from my liberal mind.
That isn`t the only point, although it is part of it.
Having links to what could be considered adult material can get the site blacklisted on Google and other places. It HAS happened before, many years ago, and I don`t want it happening again especially with the forthcoming UK internet censorship crap which could be becoming (or is it already?) law soon.